Progressive Calendar 02.11.15 /3
From: David Shove (shove001umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 12:38:24 -0800 (PST)
PROGRESSIVE CALENDAR  02.11.15

1. Midstream Reading               2.12   7:30pm / 6:45pm

2. What's love got to do with IT? 2.13   7pm

3. Bernie Sanders: Keeping US From Becoming Oligarchy 'A Struggle We Must
Win'

4. ed   bumpersticker

--------1 of x--------

Midstream Reading Series 2.12 7:30  / 6:45

When: Thursday February 12, 7:30–8:30pm.    2015
Where: Blue Moon building,  corner of 39th and (3820) East Lake. Upstairs.
Entrance just west of the Blue Moon coffee house; up the stairs and to the
left. Not wheel-chair accessible. Plentiful street parking.
  Best to arrive 10-20 minutes early to get coffee and food/dessert from
the Blue Moon, and to be seated by 7:30 so we can begin on time. And, the
venue will easily hold about 30; after that, standing or floor-sitting room
only. The early bird gets the seat. Please occupy the close seats first. Be
an up-front person.

Special Valentine’s Prelude: 6:45 - 7:20.Music made by Myra Burnett (voice
& guitar), poet Richard Terrill (soprano & tenor sax), and Papa John
Kolstad (voice & guitar). Tunes like My funny valentune, In a sentimental
mood, Autumn leaves.. Doors open at 6:40; hang out before at the Blue Moon.

Original poems and stories read/performed by their creators:
Alicia Catt,  James P Lenfestey,  Yvonne Peralta,  Richard Terrill

Alicia Catt is a chronic underachiever who flunked creative writing in high
school. She’s currently finishing up her MFA thesis at Minnesota State
University, Mankato, where she was apparently deemed fit to teach writing
to undergrads. She’s had over thirty jobs in her life, including a
nine-year stint as a call girl and several much more humiliating things,
like dishwashing. She currently provides website support for high school
journalism advisers, some of the nicest and most technologically inept
people in the world. Alicia’s essays and poems have appeared most recently
in Salt Hill, The Pinch, Yemassee, Word Riot, and the notables appendix of
Best American Essays 2014. According to the Mankato Free Press, her writing
“may not be for everyone,” which is probably just a nice way of saying she
swears a lot. Alicia lives in Minneapolis with her pit bull, Piggy.

James P. Lenfestey is a former editorial writer for the StarTribune, where
he won several Page One Awards for excellence.  Since 2000, he has
published a collection of essays, five collections of poems, a poetry
anthology and co-edited Robert Bly in This World, University of Minnesota
Press.   His newest book, a memoir with prose and poems, “Seeking the Cave:
A Pilgrimage to Cold Mountain,” was published this September by Milkweed
Editions.  As a journalist he has covered climate science since 1988.  He
lives in Minneapolis with his wife of 48 years, the political activist
Susan Lenfestey.  They have four children and seven grandchildren.

Yvonne Peralta. A native of Nice in the south of France, Yvonne Peralta is
a graduate of the University of Nice, where, she says, she learned
“everything” about French literature, and of Le Conservatoire de Nice
where, her friends and family will attest, she acquired expertise in the
art of high drama. She has lived in the United States for 20 years and
teaches kindergarten in a French immersion school. A self-described “late
bloomer” she began writing poetry about two years ago. You can sample her
poems — if you read French! — on her website, www.yvonneperalta.com. In
2013, she acquired U.S. citizenship and would like to make clear that, yes,
she does know the Edith Piaf song “La Vie En Rose” but has lately come to
enjoy “Yankee Doodle Dandy” even more.

Richard Terrill is the author of two collections of poems, Almost Dark and
Coming Late to Rachmaninoff, winner of the Minnesota Book Award; as well as
two books of creative nonfiction, Fakebook: Improvisations on a Journey
Back to Jazz and Saturday Night in Baoding: A China Memoir, winner of the
Associated Writing Programs Award for nonfiction. He has been awarded
fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts, the Wisconsin and
Minnesota State Arts Boards, the Jerome Foundation, the MacDowell Colony,
and the Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference. He has taught as a Fulbright
professor in China, Korea, and Poland, and currently teaches creative
nonfiction and poetry writing in the MFA program at Minnesota State
University, Mankato, where he is a Distinguished Faculty Scholar. He works
as a jazz saxophone player with the Larry McDonough Quartet.

Before and after: The Blue Moon, downstairs, has coffee, sandwiches,
desserts. Merlin’s Rest, a bar/restaurant 3 blocks west, has a full bar,
good food, a late hours kitchen, reserved seating..
             For further information:David Shove shove001 [at] umn.edu
651-636-5672

--------2 of x--------

What's love got to do with IT? 2.13   7pm

Sure, romance continued after Adam and Eve were driven from the garden, but
it hasn't
always been easy. “What’s Love Got To Do With It?” features performances by
members of
Zorongo Flamenco, story - tellers, tarot readings, poems, songs, psychics,
green baboons,
and music by some of the Twin Cities’ most gifted young musicians, music
videographers,
singers and songwriters.
Show begins at 8 p.m., but hospitality hour –and tarot readings –start at 7
p.m.

Admission is FREE, though we are accepting donations for Tikiri Trust
Animal Shelter in Sri
Lanka because – well, you know – dogs and cats will love you even if nobody
else does
!
WHAT: Haunting Productions Presents “What’s Love Got To Do With It?”
WHEN: February 13, 2015, Hospitality Hour, 7 p.m., Performance at 8 p.m.
WHERE: University Club of St. Paul, 420 Summit Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55102
WHAT ELSE: Donations accepted for Tikiri Trust Animal Shelter
Doors open at 7:00 p.m.  Cash bar only
.
FREE ADMISSION!
For information Rich Broderick, 651 –295 -4521

--------3 of x--------

Bernie Sanders: Keeping US From Becoming Oligarchy 'A Struggle We Must Win'
by Nadia Prupis, staff writer
Published on Monday, February 09, 2015
by Common Dreams

In speech at Brookings Institution, senator says growing wealth gap, high
poverty rates, health care crisis signs of country slipping into control of
small billionaire class

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) gave a speech at the Brookings
Institution in Washington, D.C. on Monday to talk about his proposed
recovery program and to address the economic challenges facing the U.S.,
both at present and in the future, particularly as the wealth gap grows and
financial institutions escape accountability.

"[W]e are moving rapidly away from our democratic heritage into an
oligarchic form of society," Sanders said. "Today, the most serious problem
we face is the grotesque and growing level of wealth and income inequality.
This a profound moral issue, this is an economic issue and this is a
political issue."

"We need to take a hard look at our trade policies which have resulted in
the outsourcing of millions of good paying jobs," he continued. "Since 2001
we have lost more than 60,000 factories in this country, and more than 4.9
million decent-paying manufacturing jobs. We must end our disastrous trade
policies (NAFTA, CAFTA, PNTR with China, etc.) which enable corporate
America to shut down plants in this country and move to China and other
low-wage countries."   [DAFTA?  -ed]

His recovery program, An Economic Agenda for America, would invest in
infrastructure; turn away from fossil fuels; raise the federal minimum
wage; and close the gender wage gap, among other tenets.

"We need to end the race to the bottom and develop trade policies which
demand that American corporations create jobs here, and not abroad,"
Sanders said.

Sanders also spoke about the country's failure to provide for its most
vulnerable people."Today, the most serious problem we face is the grotesque
and growing level of wealth and income inequality."
—Sen. Bernie Sanders

In addition to high unemployment rates—which become higher when age and
race are taken into account—the U.S. has "by far, the highest rate of
childhood poverty of any major country on earth," Sanders said.

"In today's highly competitive global economy, millions of Americans are
unable to afford the higher education they need in order to get good-paying
jobs. Some of our young people have given up the dream of going to college,
while others are leaving school deeply in debt."

Reform must also come to the financial sector, Sanders said.

"We must finally address the greed, recklessness and illegal behavior of
Wall Street... Their speculation and illegal behavior plunged this country
into the worst financial crisis since the 1930s. In my view, Wall Street is
too large and powerful to be reformed.  The huge financial institutions
must be broken up."

Finally, Sanders said, the U.S. must "join the rest of the industrialized
world and recognize that health care is a right of all, and not a
privilege."

"Despite the fact that more than 40 million Americans have no health
insurance, we spend almost twice as much per capita on health care as any
other nation. We need to establish a Medicare-for-all, single-payer
system," Sanders said.

Yet those issues highlight only some parts of the "unprecedented struggle
that we're engaged in now against the Billionaire Class."

"The real struggle is whether we can prevent this country from moving to an
oligarchic form of society in which virtually all economic and political
power rests with a handful of billionaires," Sanders concluded. "And that’s
a struggle we must win."

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0
License

bumper sticker

                                UNBORN THE KOCHS

                                              shove trove