Progressive Calendar 11.05.11 /2
From: David Shove (shove001umn.edu)
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 12:53:38 -0700 (PDT)

1. CUAPB                11.05 1:30pm
2. Northtown vigil       11.05 2pm
3. Benefit foreclosed  11.05 4pm
4. Next US revolution 11.05 7pm
5. Sing peace songs  11.05 7pm

6. Chris Hedges - No Arrests inside Goldman Sachs, though we were arrested
outside
7. ed                 - 1% to 99%  (haiku)

--------1 of 7--------

From: Michelle Gross <mgresist [at] visi.com>
Subject: CUAPB 11.05 1:30pm

Meetings: Every Saturday at 1:30 p.m. at Walker Church, 3104 16th Avenue
South http://www.CUAPB.org <http://www.cuapb.org/>

Communities United Against Police Brutality
3100 16th Avenue S
Minneapolis, MN 55407
Hotline 612-874-STOP (7867)

--------2 of 7--------

From: Vanka485 [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 11.05 2pm

Peace vigil at Northtown (Old Hwy 10 & University Av), every Saturday 2-3pm

--------3 of 7--------

From: Tom Dooley
Benefit foreclosed 11.05 4pm

SAT.NOV. 5, 4pm to 6pm
BENEFIT FOR ACTIVISTS MICHAEL & CAROL, FORECLOSED ON & NOW HOMEELSSS
MAY DAY BOOKS, Minneapolis

Longtime activists Michael Wood and Carol Sorflaten are among the latest
victims of the economic crisis. The have recently gone through foreclosure
and eviction and are now homeless. Come join  us to hear their story, stand
in solidarity with them and help to raise a little money to help them find
a secure place to live.
FOOD: including Lydia Howell's Cuban black bean soup and home-made baked
treates.
RAFFLE:  the chance to win books, DVDs and poster art.
RANT: Share your story or analysis of the economic crisis, OWS movement, a
rap or a poem!
DONATE What You Can/ Raffle Tix $1 each
An injury to one is an injury to all!
MAY DAY BOOKS, 301 Cedar Ave. S. (basement HUB Bicycle, door frwy
side),West Bank, Minneapolis (612)333-4719

--------4 of 7--------

From: Jeff Miller
Next US revolution 11.05 7pm

Working Democracy Discussion Forum
The Next American Revolution
How can the revolution to extend democratic self-government to our
economic life be accomplished, and how will it be similar to and
different from past revolutions.

Saturday, November 5, 2011 7:00 PM
Mayday Books 301 Cedar Ave S Minneapolis, MN 55454

--------5 of 7--------

From: WAMM
Sing peace songs 11.05 7pm

Sing the Great Songs of Peace Community Sing Saturday, November 5, 7:00 to
9:00 p.m. Minneapolis Eagles Club, 2507 East 25th Street, Minneapolis.

Come sing the great songs of peace, led by Bret Hesla, Mary Preus and Larry
Dittberner of Minnesota Community Sings. Special guest, WAMM’s resident
songwriter, Brigid McDonald. All voices welcome.

Suggested donation: $15.00 (adults); $5.00 (kids); $25.00 (family).
Sponsored by: Minnesota Community Sings and WAMM. FFI: Call WAMM,
612-827-5364.

 --------6 of 7--------

Published on Friday, November 4, 2011 by TruthDig.com
No Arrests Inside Goldman Sachs, Though We Were Arrested Outside
by Chris Hedges

Chris Hedges made this statement in New York City’s Zuccotti Park on
Thursday morning during the People’s Hearing on Goldman Sachs, which he
chaired with Dr. Cornel West. The activist and Truthdig columnist then
joined a march of several hundred protesters to the nearby corporate
headquarters of Goldman Sachs, where he was arrested with 16
others.Christopher Hedges and other Occupy Wall Street protesters get
arrested in front of Goldman Sachs headquarters in Battery Park City after
they held a mock trial against the company at Zuccoti Park and marched to
the building with their guilty verdict. Approximately 15-20 protesters were
arrested in an act of civil disobedience. (Craig Warga/New York Daily News )

Goldman Sachs, which received more subsidies and bailout-related funds than
any other investment bank because the Federal Reserve permitted it to
become a bank holding company under its “emergency situation,” has used
billions in taxpayer money to enrich itself and reward its top executives.
It handed its senior employees a staggering $18 billion in 2009, $16
billion in 2010 and $10 billion in 2011 in mega-bonuses. This massive
transfer of wealth upwards by the Bush and Obama administrations, now
estimated at $13 trillion to $14 trillion, went into the pockets of those
who carried out fraud and criminal activity rather than the victims who
lost their jobs, their savings and often their homes.

Goldman Sachs’ commodities index is the most heavily traded in the world.
Goldman Sachs hoards rice, wheat, corn, sugar and livestock and jacks up
commodity prices around the globe so that poor families can no longer
afford basic staples and literally starve. Goldman Sachs is able to carry
out its malfeasance at home and in global markets because it has former
officials filtered throughout the government and lavishly funds compliant
politicians—including Barack Obama, who received $1 million from employees
at Goldman Sachs in 2008 when he ran for president. These politicians, in
return, permit Goldman Sachs to ignore security laws that under a
functioning judiciary system would see the firm indicted for felony fraud.
Or, as in the case of Bill Clinton, these politicians pass laws such as the
2000 Commodity Futures Modernization Act that effectively removed all
oversight and outside control over the speculation in commodities, one of
the major reasons food prices have soared. In 2008 and again in 2010 prices
for crops such as rice, wheat and corn doubled and even tripled, making
life precarious for hundreds of millions of people. And it was all done so
a few corporate oligarchs, the 1 percent, could make personal fortunes in
the tens and hundreds of millions of dollars. Despite a damning 650-page
Senate subcommittee investigation report, no individual at Goldman Sachs
has been indicted, although the report accuses Goldman of defrauding its
clients.

When the government in the fall 2008 provided the firm with billions of
dollars in the form of cheap loans, FDIC debt guarantees, TARP, AIG
make-wholes, and a late-night label-shift from investment bank to bank
holding company, giving the firm access to excessive Federal Reserve aid,
access [the corporation] still has, it enabled and abetted Goldman’s
criminal behavior. Goldman Sachs unloaded billions in worthless securities
to its clients, decimating 401(k)s, pension and mutual funds. The firm
misled investors about the true nature of these worthless securities,
insisted the securities they were pushing on their clients were sound, and
hid the material fact that, simultaneously, they were betting against these
same securities—$2 billion against just one of their deals. The firm then
had the gall to extort from its victims—us—to make good on its bets when
the global economy it helped trash lost $40 trillion in worldwide wealth
and huge insurance firms were unable to cover their bad debts.

The Securities Act of 1933, established in the wake of the massive fraud
that pervaded the securities market before the 1929 Crash, was written to
ensure that “any securities transactions are not based on fraudulent
information or practices.” The act “prohibits deceit, misrepresentation,
and other fraud in the sale of securities.” The subcommittee report
indicates that Goldman Sachs clearly broke security laws.

As part of the political theater that has come to replace the legislative
and judicial process, the Securities and Exchange Commission agreed to a
$550 million settlement whereby Goldman Sachs admitted it showed
“incomplete” information in marketing materials and that it was a “mistake”
to not disclose the nature of its portfolio selection committee. This fine
was a payoff to the SEC by Goldman Sachs of about four days’ worth of
revenue, and in return they avoided going to court. CEO Lloyd Blankfein
apparently not only lied to clients, but to the subcommittee itself on
April 27, 2010, when he told lawmakers: “We didn’t have a massive short
against the housing market, and we certainly did not bet against our
clients.” Yet, they did.

And yet nothing has been done. No Goldman Sachs officials have gone to
trial. This is because there is no way within the corporate state to vote
against the interests of Goldman Sachs. There is no way through the formal
mechanisms of power to restore the rule of law. There is no way to protect
the ordinary citizen and the poor around the globe from the predatory
activity of financial institutions such as Goldman Sachs. Since our courts
refuse to put on trial the senior executives at Goldman Sachs, including
Blankfein, who carried out these crimes and lied to cover them up, we will.
Speculators like those in Goldman Sachs—who in the 17th century when
speculation was a crime would have been hanged—must be prevented by law
from again destroying our economy, preying on ordinary citizens, hoarding
food so the poor starve and running our political process. We are paying
for these crimes—not those who orchestrated perhaps the most massive fraud
in human history. Our teachers, police, firefighters and public employees
are losing their jobs so speculators like Blankfein can make an estimated
$250,000 a day. Working men and women are losing their homes and going into
personal bankruptcy because they cannot pay their medical bills. Our
unemployed, far closer to 20 percent than the official 9 percent, are in
deep distress all so a criminal class, a few blocks from where I speak, can
wallow in luxury with mansions and yachts and swollen bank accounts.

What we are asking for today is simple—it is a return to the rule of law.
And since the formal mechanisms of power refuse to restore the rule of law,
then we, the 99 percent, will have to see that justice is done.

© 2011 TruthDig.com

Chris Hedges writes a regular column for Truthdig.com. Hedges graduated
from Harvard Divinity School and was for nearly two decades a foreign
correspondent for The New York Times. He is the author of many books,
including: War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning, What Every Person Should
Know About War, and American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on
America.  His most recent book is Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy
and the Triumph of Spectacle.

    1% to 99%

To be all that we
can be we must strive to see