July 1st and beyond: Shut down, rise up!
From: luce guillen-givins (luceriseup.net)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 19:25:27 -0700 (PDT)
We're converging under the banner of “Shut down, rise up!” to respond to
the Minnesota's expected government shutdown, and we'd like you to join us.

Starting on *July 1st*, we'll be coming together in Powderhorn Park
(3400 15th Ave S, Mpls) every evening to share resources, organize
political action, and build community. *A free meal will be provided
starting at 5pm every day,* followed by a general assembly. We'll also
have music and fun! Bring what you can and take what you need!

For more info, see:
http://ShutDownRiseUp.org/

For updates, subscribe to our announcements list by sending an email to:
SDRU+subscribe [at] googlegroups.com

Check out our poster/pamphlet:
http://shutdownriseup.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/shutdownriseup-poster-print-low-res.pdf

---------

*What is Shut Down Rise Up?*

On July 1st, the Minnesota state government will likely shutdown. Tens
of thousands of public employees could be laid off, and cutbacks on
services ranging from transportation to health coverage, food stamps to
nursing homes, homeless shelters to the court system could have
devastating effects on many more.

As anti-authoritarians, we recognize both the immediate need people have
for the government to return to its regular operations (for many, this
is a matter of survival), and also the fact that the government and
corporations work in tandem to exploit our communities and strip them of
self-sufficiency.

As invested members of our communities, we’re responding by starting to
address the needs and issues arising from the shutdown while also
presenting our own analysis of the system that has produced this crisis.
We are converging to pool resources, services, and political actions
that will address some of the immediate needs created by the shutdown.
We intend to occupy a shared physical space for the purposes of this
resource-sharing and community building, and also to maintain an
internet information hub on actions and alternative services related to
the shutdown.

We are an open group and welcome anyone who is interested in exploring
radical, anti-authoritarian responses to this government-created crisis
and in working together to create alternatives to the capitalist system.
If you’d like to get involved in organizing, come to our next meeting!

Tuesday, June 28th, at 7:00pm
(childcare available)
@ the PPNA building, 821 E 35th St, Minneapolis