Progressive Calendar 12.03.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 08:01:17 -0800 (PST)

1. KFAI/education    12.03 11am
2. Bust the bailout  12.03 12noon
3. Jerusalem/film    12.03 12:45pm
4. Resource crisis   12.03 1:30pm
5. Peace vigil       12.03 4:30pm
6. Body burden       12.03 7pm
7. Homelessness/film 12.03 7pm

8. Vs Nov forecast   12.04 10:30pm
9. Eagan peace vigil 12.04 4:30pm
10. Northtown vigil  12.04 5pm
11. Iraq resistance  12.04 6pm
12. Terror/dissent/f 12.04 7pm
13. NW citizens      12.04 7pm
14. Cuba/Obama       12.04 7pm
15. Sustainability/f 12.04 7pm

16. David Solnit - Seattle WTO shutdown 9 years ago: 5 lessons for today
17. Jeremy Scahill - Not one anti-war voice; Obama's kettle of hawks
18. William Blum   - Vote first, Q later. You wanted change with that?
19. ed             - Bailout (poem)

--------1 of 19--------

From: Andy Driscoll <andy [at] driscollgroup.com>
Subject: KFAI/education 12.03 11am

TRUTH TO TELL
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 3 - 11:00AM
"FM 90.3/Minneapolis-106.7/St. Paul and STREAMING LIVE AT KFAI.org

"SMART INVESTMENTS IN MINNESOTA'S STUDENTS"
TTT's ANDY DRISCOLL and LYNNELL MICKELSEN talk with Growth & Justice
senior staff about that organization's report and proposal for investments
in Minnesota's public education system "Smart Investments in Minnesotas
Students." We'll ask them how anything ambitious can be done in a climate
of contracting revenues and rising deficits. And we'll ask some others how
they think this might work in any climate.

GUESTS:
 DANE SMITH - President, Growth & Justice
 ANGIE EILERS - Senior Policy Director, Growth & Justice
 OTHERS TO BE ANNOUNCED

And we want your thoughts and questions about what to do about education
investment. CALL IN: 612-341-0980

AND LOOK! WE'RE MORE POWERFUL!
KFAI Signal Upgrade and Digital Conversion Complete

Final approval from the FCC to "Flip The Switch" on KFAI's digital signal
and power increase was granted on Friday, November 14, 2008, and KFAI's
Chief Engineer, Dan Zimmermann, turned on the 900-watt transmitter Sunday,
November 16, 2008.

With the new signal project complete, KFAI's 900-watt directional antenna
on top of the IDS Tower has significantly increased coverage at 90.3 FM to
the east and southeast of Minneapolis. Signal coverage has also increased
somewhat to the west, northwest, north and northeast of Minneapolis,
though not as strongly as to the east and southeast. Listeners report
improvement in areas such as Richfield, Bloomington, Golden Valley and
Plymouth. We have also heard about improvement in some areas of Columbia
Heights, while other areas of Columbia Heights have not improved. You can
view the signal coverage area here. We would like to hear more reports
about the 90.3FM signal and its reach. To make a report on KFAI's new
signal coverage, call 612.341.3144, ext.33. When leaving your message, be
sure to include the exact address and zip code of the location from which
you listen to KFAI.

In addition to our higher-powered FM signal, KFAI now has a digital HD
signal which can be heard on HD radio receivers. At present, over 1800
stations in the US are broadcasting HD radio.

The digital signal is crystal clear and has the ability to carry an
additional programming channel. KFAI is in the planning stage for the
second channel.

Next steps for signal upgrade include repair of KFAIs translator at
106.7FM. Due to old and failing equipment, the 106.7FM translator is
currently sending out a signal at 70% power. A new digital translator will
be installed in St. Paul that will return 106.7FM to 100% of its regulated
power. So if you are having trouble hearing us in St. Paul, you will soon
be able to hear us clearly on both frequencies!

Thank you to Board of Directors President Jeremy Nichols and Program
Director Adam Mehl, who contributed to this report.

Special New Signal, New Member Drive December 3rd - 5th

KFAI is non-commercial, listener-supported radio. Many listeners have
given generously to support community radio in 2008, but some folks have
not had a chance, yet. In honor of the new signal, and to lower expenses
for the new transmitter, KFAI will hold a special "New Signal, New Member"
drive for three days in the first week of December. Wednesday, December
3rd, through Friday, December 5th, KFAI volunteers will invite new members
to join the station, and lapsed members to come back in 2008 if they
missed the chance in earlier drives. This is a one-time, special
opportunity to celebrate growth at KFAI, and have some fun for folks who
are planning on year-end giving. Tell your friends who may not have become
members yet in 2008 to tune in!

KFAI also has a New Member Challenge Fund for this short drive. If you are
interested in donating matching dollars to the New Member Challenge Fund,
contact Pam Hill Kroyer by email, or by phone:  612.341.3144, ext. 22. All
contributions are welcome.

--------2 of 19--------

From: ElyDog <elydog [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Bust the bailout 12.03 12noon

December 3, Wednesday - Lunch Hour, 12:00 noon, 800 Nicollet Mall

Bust the Bailout!

US Bank is receiving $6.6Bn of the massive $700Bn bailout passed by
Congress, even theough the bank was not having financial difficulties.
Meanwhile, people are losing their homes all over the city.  Foreclosures
are at the root of the present economic crisis.

Tell U.S. Bank to use this windfall to help the community, not enrich
their sharhodlers, buy other companies, or pay higher executive bonuses.
Remember, this money is OUR tax money and we have every right to make
demands about how it is used.