Pax-Salon (international Day for Victims of Turture)
From: patty guerrero (pattypaxicloud.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2018 12:15:36 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,   Tuesday, June 26, is International Day for Victims of Torture.   We sill
see a short video and if anyone has any readings or poems re. the victims of
torture at Guantanamo please bring and we can read.   We will still be meeting
at the East 7th Mississippi Market, 740  East 7th.

The United Nations International Day in Support of Victims of Torture – 26 June
is held annually on 26 June to speak out against the crime of torture
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torture> and to honor and support victims and
survivors throughout the world.
This is a day on which we pay our respects to those who have endured the
unimaginable. This is an occasion for the world to speak up against the
unspeakable. It is long overdue that a day be dedicated to remembering and
supporting the many victims and survivors of torture around the world.
— Former United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kofi_Annan>, 1998[1]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Day_in_Support_of_Victims_of_Torture#cite_note-1>
On this International Day in Support of Victims of Torture, we express our
solidarity with, and support for, the hundreds of thousands of victims of
torture and their family members throughout the world who endure such
suffering. We also note the obligation of States not only to prevent torture
but to provide all torture victims with effective and prompt redress,
compensation and appropriate social, psychological, medical and other forms of
rehabilitation. Both the General Assembly and the Human Rights Council
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Rights_Council> have now strongly urged
States to establish and support rehabilitation centers or facilities.
— United Nations Secretary-General
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Secretary-General> Ban Ki-moon
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ban_Ki-moon>, 2012[2]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Day_in_Support_of_Victims_of_Torture#cite_note-2>