Pax/Conversational Salon (Open Conversation)
From: Patty Guerrero (pattypaxearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 19:18:51 -0700 (PDT)
HI,  This week , June 4, we will have open conversation about any and all
things relevant or non-revelent to our situation in life.
Hope you can be there.

Next week we will have an open poetry session.

The 3rd Tuesday in June our guest is Diadra Decker from Water Legacy.   She
will talk with us about the following:

Minnesota's beautiful lakes district is targeted by global mining companies to
take profits from the sparse but plentiful copper, nickel and other "heavy"
metals that occur in sulfide-bearing rock.  These metals are far more toxic
than iron to aquatic ecologies, and the elevated sulfates from waste rock and
processed "tailings" would increase mercury contamination of fish and would go
on for centuries.

WaterLegacy is a grassroots Minnesota non-profit formed to prevent sulfide
mining -- including approval of the PolyMet sulfide mine -- from destroying
Minnesota’s clean water resources. We protect clean drinking water, streams,
lakes, rivers, wetlands, wild rice and fish that are safe to eat. We work
collaboratively with tribes and other groups in an effective strategy
combining: 1) Grassroots outreach to educate and mobilize civic participation;
2) Professional coaching of citizen experts so they can be effective advocates
in government decision-making processes; 3) Rigorous legal advocacy at every
stage of rulemaking, litigation, environmental review, and regulatory
enforcement; 4) partnerships with tribes, other environmental groups, and local
citizen leaders; and 5) Sharing our work to magnify our leverage. Learn more
and join our advocacy to protect clean water at WaterLegacy.org.

This year, we have the pivotal opportunity to prevent the first proposed
sulfide metal mine in MN

The last Tuesday in June  we will show the film, Chasing Ice.
(and then June is over.  just like that!)

Thanks,

Patty