Reception for Cuba author Nancy Stout and Cuban filmmaker Consuelo Elba Álvarez; book signings and presentations
From: Minnesota Cuba Committee (mncubagmail.com)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 13:21:50 -0700 (PDT)
*ONE DAY IN DECEMBER – CELIA SÁNCHEZ AND THE CUBAN REVOLUTION*
*Reception, book signings and presentations*

You are invited to a *RECEPTION* for writer Nancy Stout and Cuban filmmaker
Consuelo Elba Álvarez

*Sunday, October 20, 6:30 pm*
Penthouse Party Room, Marquette Place Apartments
1314 Marquette Ave. So., Minneapolis
Appetizers and beverages will be available

*Nancy Stout*

Author of *One Day in December–Celia Sánchez** and the Cuban
Revolution*, published
by Monthly Review Press <http://monthlyreview.org/press/books/cl3171/>, writer
and photographer Nancy Stout’s work includes three books about Cuba. She
spent 10 years researching this book, receiving unprecedented access to
Cuban archives.

*Consuelo Elba Álvarez*

Cuban filmmaker and TV producer and director, Consuelo’s works include her
film *Mujeres de la **Guerrilla** *(“Women of the Rebel Army”), shown at
the 2007 MSP International Film Festival. She was a member of the
revolutionary underground and later the Rebel Army, and will discuss her
documentary-in-progress about women in the underground.
*From the forward to One Day in December by Alice Walker:*

“Nothing makes one more hopeful than discovering another human being to
admire. My wonder at the life of Celia Sánchez, a revolutionary Cuban woman
virtually unknown to Americans, has left me almost speechless. . . . In a
way it is through [her] selfless wisdom, her caring about future rebels she
saw coming to the place Cuba pioneered, that we most clearly see her.”

 *Book signings and presentations with Nancy Stout and Consuelo Elba Álvarez
*

*Saturday, October 19**, 3:00 pm*
Mayday Books
301 Cedar Avenue, Minneapolis
*Nancy Stout*

 *Sunday, October 20**, 4:00 pm*
Boneshaker Books
2002 23rd Avenue South, Minneapolis
*Nancy Stout*

*Sunday, October 20, 6:30 pm*
Reception, Penthouse Party Room
Marquette Place Apartments
1314 Marquette Ave. So., Minneapolis
*Nancy Stout & Consuelo Elba **Á**lvarez*

*Monday, Oct**ober** 21, 4:45pm*
Room 250, Olin Rice Science Center
Macalester College, St. Paul
*Nancy Stout & Consuelo Elba **Á**lvarez*

*Tuesday, October 22, 7:00 pm*
Rm. 1-147, Carlson School of Mgmt.
19th Avenue and 4th Street South
University of Minnesota West Bank
*Nancy Stout & Consuelo Elba **Á**lvarez*

*Wednesday, October 23, 4:00 pm*
Coffman Union Bookstore
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
*Nancy Stout*

W*ednesday, October 23, 7:00 pm*
Micawber's Books
2238 Carter Ave., St. Paul
*Nancy Stout*

All events are free and open to the public. They are sponsored by the
Minnesota Cuba Committee in partnership with the above bookstores and
institutions. For more information: www.minnesotacubacommittee.org |
MNCuba [at] gmail.com | 612-810-3900