Progressive Calendar 08.25.11
From: David Shove (shove001umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 04:35:32 -0700 (PDT)

1. Eagan peace vigil 8.25 4:30pm
2. Northtown vigil      8.25 5pm
3. Eastside vigil        8.25 5pm
4. VotersStP SB/CC 8.25 6pm

5. Palestine vigil       8.26 4:15pm

-------1 of x--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <family4peace [at] msn.com>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 8.25 4:30pm

PEACE VIGIL EVERY THURSDAY from 4:30-5:30pm on the Northwest corner of
Pilot Knob Road and Yankee Doodle Road in Eagan. We have signs and
candles. Say "NO to war!" The weekly vigil is sponsored by: Friends south
of the river speaking out against war.

--------2 of x--------

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 8.25 5pm

email: (763)574-9615, ekalamboki [at] aol.com.

--------3 of x--------

fromCarla Riehle stpaul49 [at] hotmail.com
subject: Eastside vigil 8.25 5pm
Eastside Neighbors for Peace to hold August vigils
For more information, Carla Riehle, 651-983-3981

"Time to leave; five wars too many." That's the slogan that the newly formed
Eastside Neighbors for Peace has adopted for its planned weekly vigils each
Thursday in August. The vigils have also been endorsed by St. Paul's Sacred
Heart Church Peace and Justice Committee.

Like many other neighborhoods, Dayton's Bluff and the greater Eastside are
feeling the effects of the worldwide economic crisis. With about two billion
dollars a week being spent by our government on the war in Afghanistan
alone, Eastside Neighbors for Peace believes that money could be used more
wisely at home.

The vigils will be held Thursdays, August 4, 11, 18 or 25, from 5:00 to 6:00
pm at the corner of East 6th Street and Mounds Boulevard (I-94, exit 243).
Signs will be available or participants can bring their own.
Look for the St. Paul Eastside Neighbors for Peace page on Facebook

--------4 of x--------

fromAnne Carroll carrfran [at] gmail.com
subject: VotersStP SB/CC 8.25 6pm

The League of Women Voters St. Paul is hosting a meet-and-greet with School
Board and City Council candidates, THIS THURSDAY, 25 August, 6-7:30 pm,
Wilder Center Auditorium at 451 Lexington Parkway North, St. Paul.

Come along and get to know all of us!

--------5 of x--------

From: Eric Angell <eric-angell [at] riseup.net>
Subject: Palestine vigil 8.26 4:15pm

The weekly vigil for the liberation of Palestine continues at the
intersection of Snelling and Summit Aves in St. Paul. The Friday demo
starts at 4:15 and ends around 5:30. There are usually extra signs
available.

--------6 of x--------

Published on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 by Huffington
Post<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/24/lead-environmental-organizations-endorse-tar-sands-protests_n_935312.html>
Keystone XL Pipeline Obama's 'Biggest Climate Test,' Green Groups Say
by Lucia Graves

WASHINGTON - In a boost for grassroots efforts pressuring the Obama
administration to block approval of TransCanada's Keystone XL oil pipeline,
the heads of major environmental organizations released a letter on
Wednesday calling on Barack Obama to deny presidential approval to the
pipeline, which would stretch from tar sands in Alberta to oil refineries in
the Gulf of
Mexico<http://keystonepipeline-xl.state.gov/clientsite/keystonexl.nsf/map.jpg?OpenFileResource>
.

Joe Uehlein, Board President for the Labor Network for Sustainability, and
his daughter sitting-in at the White House. As of Wednesday afternoon, 275
people had been arrested in connection with the protests. Organizers say
more than 2,000 volunteers have signed up to participate in the sit-ins,
which are slated to run through Sep. 3. (Tar Sands Action.org)

In their letter to Obama, the groups described the pipeline as “perhaps the
biggest climate test you face between now and the election,” and warned that
a failure to deny the permit could come back to haunt him in 2012.

"If you block it, you will trigger a surge of enthusiasm from the green base
that supported you so strongly in the last election," wrote the groups.

Signatories included leaders from Natural Resources Defense Council, the
Sierra Club, the Environmental Defense Fund, the National Wildlife
Federation, Greenpeace, Friends of the Earth and the Rainforest Action
Network, among others.

"There is not an inch of daylight between our policy position on the
Keystone XL pipeline, and those of the protesters being arrested daily
outside the White House,” wrote the groups in their letter.

As of Wednesday afternoon, 275 people had been arrested in connection with
the protests. Organizers say more than 2,000 volunteers have signed up to
participate in the sit-ins, which are slated to run through Sep. 3.

“For those of us out there protesting, the best thing about this ringing
statement is that the administration won’t be able to play one group off
against another by making small concessions here and there,” author and
environmentalist Bill McKibben, who is helping to organize the protests for
tarsandsaction.org, wrote in a statement accompanying the press release.
“They’ve all shown that there is one way to demonstrate to the environmental
base that the rhetoric of Obama’s 2008 campaign is still meaningful -- and
that’s to veto this pipeline. Since he can do it without even consulting
Congress, this is one case where we’ll be able to see exactly how willing he
is to match the rhetoric of his 2008 campaign.”

Read the full letter below:

*Dear President Obama:*

*Many of the organizations we head do not engage in civil disobedience; some
do. Regardless, speaking as individuals, we want to let you know that there
is not an inch of daylight between our policy position on the Keystone
Pipeline and those of the very civil protesters being arrested daily outside
the White House. This is a terrible project -- many of the country's leading
climate scientists have explained why in their letter last month to you. It
risks many of our national treasures to leaks and spills. And it reduces
incentives to make the transition to job-creating clean fuels.*

*You have a clear shot to deny the permit, without any interference from
Congress. It's perhaps the biggest climate test you face between now and the
election. If you block it, you will trigger a surge of enthusiasm from the
green base that supported you so strongly in the last election. We expect
nothing less.*

*Sincerely,*

*Fred Krupp, Environmental Defense Fund*

*Michael Brune, Sierra Club*

*Frances Beinecke, Natural Resources Defense Council*

*Phil Radford, Greenpeace*

*Larry Schweiger, National Wildlife Federation*

*Erich Pica, Friends of the Earth*

*Rebecca Tarbotton, Rainforest Action Network*

*May Boeve, 350.org*

*Gene Karpinski, League of Conservation Voters*

© 2011 Huffington Post

                            history will record that Shove rhymes with clove