Progressive Calendar 01.19.11
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:11:02 -0800 (PST)
             P R O G R E S S I V E   C A L E N D A R  01.19.11

1. Wendell Potter    1.19 4pm
2. Daily Planet bash 1.19 6pm
3. Cleaning workers  1.19 6:30pm
4. Coldwater moon    1.19 7pm
5. Palestine         1.19 7pm NO CYNTHIA MCKINNEY

6. KFAI: Bacevich    1.20 9am
7. Eagan peace vigil 1.20 4:30pm
8. Northtown vigil   1.20 5pm
9. GLBT homeless     1.20 6pm
10. PRT              1.20 6:30pm
11. Palestine        1.20 6:30pm  Rochester MN
12. Stop FBI         1.20 7pm
13. US democracy     1.20 7pm

14. Green News - Bride seeks corp for first corp-human merger wedding

--------1 of 14--------

From: Jeffrey Davis <jeffdavis386 [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Wendell Potter 1.19 4pm

Meet former insurance executive & author Wendell Potter January 19 at
4:00 PM at the U of M Bookstore:
http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/07102009/watch2.html

Wendell Potter was formerly in charge of public relations for Humana and
then Cigna. Mr. Potter is the author of "Deadly Spin: An Insurance
Company Insider Speaks Out on How Corporate PR Is Killing Health Care and
Deceiving Americans"

--------2 of 14--------

From: Richard Broderick <richb [at] lakecast.com>
Subject: Daily Planet bash 1.19 6pm

Hi, everybody. A fun event to help a good cause -- the Twin Cities Daily
Planet (www.tcdailyplanet.net) the independent, non-profit, online
community newspaper I helped found five years ago.
 -Rich

Twin Cities Daily Planet Winter Party
Wednesday, January 19 · 6:00pm - 9:00pm
Summit Brewery 910 Montreal Circle Saint Paul, MN

Hey, kick the snow off your soggy boots and raise a mug with us at the
Daily Planet Winter Party. What could be more warm and welcoming than some
Extra Pale Ale (or other Summit brew), music and good company? The Summit
Brewing Company has generously donated their beer and use of their
Ratskeller, and we have a great line-up of bands:

 6 to 7 p.m. Jimmi Langemo and the Band of Souls: "Blues, Old School R&B
and Folk all wrapped int......o on toe-tapping, deep groovin',
gotta-see-it show."
 7 to 8 p.m.: Patty and the Buttons. Accordion virtuoso Patrick Harison
and his Old School Hot Jazz Trio.
 8 to 9 p.m. Kenn Wanaku and SunPlug'd: "Take a trip to the Afrikan
kontryside with sweet songs, melodic guitar riffs and rootsy rhythms."

All ages welcome. Food will be available for purchase.

Suggested minimum donation $15 (including beer or root beer). Capacity is
limited, so buy your tickets now here:
(https://www.thedatabank.com/dpg/262/mtglistproc.asp?formid=TCM-Event&caleventid=19016
).

The Summit Brewing Company is located at 910 Montreal Circle, St. Paul
MN. There's plenty of parking, just outside the door. Click here for
map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=910+Montreal+Circle%2C+St.+Paul&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq&hnear=910+Montreal+Cir%2C+St+Paul%2C+MN+55102&gl=us&daddr=910+Montreal+Cir%2C+St+Paul%2C+MN+55102&ei=qxQpTbDBM4KTnwfl06XSAQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=directions-to&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQwwUwAA

--------3 of 14--------

From: Jason Stone <jason.stone [at] yahoo.com>
Subject: Cleaning workers 1.19 6:30pm

CTUL Solidarity Meeting
Wednesday January 19th
6:30pm-8:00pm
2511 E. Franklin Ave, Minneapolis

Dear CTUL friends and allies;

As we welcome in a new year of struggle for workers rights, we also to
take a minute to reflect on the past year in retail cleaning in the Twin
Cities metro area, where 2010 marks the beginning of a worker-led movement
for justice across the industry, calling on Cub Foods and other locally
based retail chains to play a leadership role in ending the human rights
violations taking place in the cleaning of their stores.

Unfortunately, 2010 also marks another year of exploitation in retail
cleaning; another year that large retail chains profit off the backs of
the workers who clean their stores. One retail chain provides a
particularly insightful window into this reality: Menards.

In 2010, CTUL was approached by groups of workers from 3 Menards stores
who were employed by 3 different cleaning companies reporting the same
issue: Wage Theft. The total was over $13,000 in unpaid wages.

These issues are a problem throughout retail cleaning, and in 2011 we are
calling on Cub Foods to be a leader in changing this reality to mark a new
area of dignity, respect and a living wage for retail cleaning workers.

GET INVOLVED IN THIS IMPORTANT STRUGGLE!!!
http://26.seiu.org/page/m/18a1f216/14277bd/59f3c77e/38897c7/311702727/VEsH/

--------4 of 14--------

From: Sue Ann <seasnun [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Coldwater Moon 1.19 7pm

Wednesday, January 19, 2011, at 7 PM
The Moon of the Secret Pearl

Meet Marylee Hardenbergh. She choreographed the site specific event called
"Coldwater~Sacredwater," for 300-plus people at the Spring last September.
Dancer Peter Podukle, one of three heros who shoveled out the labyrinth in
December, will also host this moon walk. No kvetching about the cold -
warm up parading through the labyrinth! After all this is the Cold Moon,
the Deep Snow Moon, the pearl-moon hanging high in the sky. Coldwater is a
secret pearl, a 10,000-year-old spring exposed and saved by 100s of
spiritual and eco-warriors in the 1990s. Traditional group howl!

Directions: Coldwater is south of Minnehaha Park, in Minneapolis. From
Hwy 55/Hiawatha, turn East (toward the Mississippi) at 54th Street, take
an immediate right, & drive South on the frontage road for ½-mile past
the parking meters, through the cul-de-sac & the gates, & past the
abandoned buildings. Follow the curvy road left & then right down to the
pond, next to the great willow tree.

--------5 of 14--------

From: Meredith Aby <riot369 [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Palestine 1.19 7pm NO CYNTHIA MCKINNEY

[AntiWarMN] McKinney event update

We've just heard from Cynthia McKinney that she is unable to come tonight.
 She is delayed in Libya due to a series of unfortunate circumstances.
We will have the event to update you on the case with Jordan Kushner,
Sarah Martin, another subpoenaed activist, and a statement from Cynthia
McKinney.
 Please send this message to your lists.  We are disappointed as I'm sure
you are.  Sarah Martin on behalf of the WAMM Mideast Committee

How US Support for Israeli Oppression in Palestine Leads to Political
Repression at Home:
Wednesday, January 19, 7:00 PM @ St. Joan of Arc Church, 4537 3rd Avenue
South, Minneapolis
Peace activist Sarah Martin and civil rights attorney Jordan Kushner will
discuss the FBI raids, subpoenas, and suppression of opposition to U.S.
support of Israel's repression of Palestinians

Sarah Martin is a lifelong peace activist, 71-year old great-grandmother
and co-chair of the Board of Women Against Military Madness. Sarah's
FBI-issued subpoena has been reactivated, and although there are no
charges against her, Sarah faces possible prison time for not cooperating
with the FBI's "witch-hunt." Sarah attempted to visit Palestine in 2009 to
see firsthand and report on the lives of Palestinians, but upon arriving
at Ben Gurion Airport was thrown in an Israeli jail and deported back to
the U.S.

Jordan Kushner is a civil rights lawyer, member of The National Lawyers
Guild and member of the Coalition for Palestinian Rights. Jordan has
provided the Twin Cities community with advice and legal presentations on
the rights of citizens when approached by federal authorities, the role of
Federal Grand Juries as tools of the prosecution and the expanded scope of
"Material Support for Terrorism" laws.

Sponsored by the Mideast Committee of WAMM and The Coalition for
Palestinian Rights. Questions? WAMM @ 612-827-5364

--------6 of 14--------

From: lydiahowell [at] comcast.net
Subject: KFAI:Andrew Bacevich 1.20 9am

Thursday Jan.20, 9am on KFAI's "Catalyst:politics & culture" hear an
interview with retired Army colonel Andrew Bacevich, talking about his new
book "Washington Rules - America's Path to Permanent War". Bacevitch
exposes repetition patterns of Vietnam in Iraq to a vast
military-industerial complex bankrupting the US budget and the gutting of
our Constitution.

Hosted by Lydia Howell
ONLINE:live-streaming & archived for 2 weeks after broadcast on CATALYST
page at http://www.kfai.org
90.3 fm Minneapolis 106.7 fm St.Paul

--------7 of 14--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <family4peace [at] msn.com>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 1.20 4:30pm

PEACE VIGIL EVERY THURSDAY from 4:30-5:30pm on the Northwest corner of
Pilot Knob Road and Yankee Doodle Road in Eagan. We have signs and
candles. Say "NO to war!" The weekly vigil is sponsored by: Friends south
of the river speaking out against war.

--------8 of 14--------

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 1.20 5pm

email: (763)574-9615, ekalamboki [at] aol.com.

--------9 of 14--------

From: hosthome [at] avenuesforyouth.org
Subject: GLBT homeless 1.20 6pm

On any given night in Minnesota, there are approximately 250 GLBT youth
who are homeless. (based on Wilder Research 2006 and 2009)

One of the ways that the Twin Cities' community is addressing this problem
is through the GLBT Host Home Program of Avenues for Homeless Youth, which
offers a transformative and community-based approach to providing homeless
gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender youth with safe homes.  As
volunteers of the program, adults open their homes and their hearts to
young people who need and are looking for a healthy and nurturing
connection.  If you are interested in hearing more about this community
building program, please come to the following informational
meeting:

Thursday, January 20, 6-8pm
@ Midtown YWCA
2121 East Lake Street
Minneapolis, MN 55407

Come learn about the history of the GLBT Host Home Program and about the
application and screening process for potential volunteers. You will also
have an opportunity to hear from hosts who shared their homes with youth.
See you there!

Questions?  Call Raquel (Rocki) at Avenues for Homeless Youth:
612-522-1690, ext. 110 or e-mail her at hosthome [at] avenuesforyouth.org

--------10 of 14--------

From: Drea Walker <walk828 [at] gmail.com>
Subject: PRT 1.20 6:30pm

Personal Rapid Transit (PRT) is the new solution to the public's transit
hassles. Here's how it works:

 Generally elevated or underground tracks (aka guideways)
 direct small vehicles (think cabin of a family sedan)
 to a destination chosen by the user (knowledge of system not required)
 automatically (it's computer controlled)
 safely (no crossings with other modes or pedestrians)
 without stopping (no waiting at the red light)
 and using emission-free vehicles.

Hop on board today!   [Way better than LRT! -ed]
Citizens for Personal Rapid Transit

CPRT is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, education-based group. We inform the
public of advancements in the transportation industry. We do not oppose
other forms of mass transportation. Transportation and access to
transportation should be a right - not a privilege. We work toward the
goal that everyone will have equal and affordable access to quality
choices in transportation. Personal Rapid Transit is the best
transportation mode choice to achieve our goals, while preserving our
environment and urban spaces for generations to come.

CPRT has our monthly meeting this Thursday, January 20th at 6:30 pm near
the University of Minnesota campus. Meeting location is Van Cleve Park
Recreation Center, 901 15th Ave. SE, just north of Dinkytown. Any of the
#3 bus routes stop across the street. There are transportation enthusiasts
who will be happy to share experiences and insights about Personal Rapid
Transit. In addition, there are many opportunities to get involved.
www.cprt.org

Andrea "Drea" Walker UMN Urban Studies Senior Chair, Citizens for Personal
Rapid Transit cell: 952.215.5451 e-mail: walk828 [at] gmail.com Call, text, or
e-mail me anytime!

--------11 of 14--------

From: Bill McGrath <billmcgrath52 [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Palestine 1.20 6:30pm  Rochester MN

An action-oriented Palestine event will occur Thursday, Jan. 20, 6:30 p.m.
Christ United Methodist Church, 400 5th Avenue SW, Rochester, MN 55902.
One speaker (a Palestinian) will give an update on Human Rights Issues in
Palestine, and address misconceptions that the media creates regarding
Israel/Palestine.

The other speaker will explain exciting news within efforts of
"Minnesota Break the Bonds" to get the state to divest from Israel
bonds. State legislators are being contacted by MN-BBC members to
question both the propriety and the legality regarding the $18 million
of Minnesota tax money that is being used, in part, to build Israeli
infrastructure in the West Bank.
Discussion afterwards. Information: Bill McGrath (507) 645-7660.

--------12 of 14--------

To: kim defranco <kimdefranco [at] yahoo.com>
Subject: Stop FBI repression 1.20 7pm

Come join us for updates and to get ready for the 25th Protest:

Minnesota Committee to Stop FBI Repression meeting
Thursday, Jan. 20
7:00 p.m.  (sign-making at 6:00) (basement)
Walker Community Methodist Church
3104 16th Ave S, Mpls, MN 55407

Please come so we can make the Jan. 25 National Day of Protests as large
as possible. People came out across the country for the Mpls activists in
September - lets show solidarity for our Chicago sisters and brothers who
are subpoenaed to appear before the Grand Jury Tuesday, January 25!

Demo: 4:30 pm, Tuesday, Jan. 25
Minneapolis Federal Building
Corner of 4th St and 4th Ave, downtown Mpls

--  National: StopFBI.net MN: mnstopfbi.wordpress.com Petition:
stopfbi.net/sign-the-petition MN list serve: groups.google.com/group/stopfbi-mn
and, check your Spam folder!

--------13 of 14--------

From: Joe Schwartzberg <schwa004 [at] umn.edu>
Subject: US democracy 1.20 7pm

This month's 3rd Thursday Forum topic is particularly timely and the
presenter has terrific credentials. Please try to make it.

THIRD THURSDAY GLOBAL ISSUES FORUM
Free and open to the public. Come and bring a friend.
Hennepin Avenue United Methodist Church,
511 Groveland Avenue, Minneapolis (at Lyndale and
Hennepin). Park in church lot.

JANUARY 20,  7:00-9:00 p.m.
WHAT IS HAPPENING TO AMERICAN DEMOCRACY?

This talk will analyze the deepening crisis between the American left and
the right in American politics and argue for a 21st century civic
populism, a "We the People" campaign to improve interactions between
candidates and voters. It will argue that the people created government
neither as saviors nor enemies, but as their instrument and meeting ground
and that a combination of deliberation and public work with deep roots in
the American civic tradition has the potential to revive government as an
"us," not an alien "them." It will view politics as a national "public
narrative" in which "citizens are the agents of our democracy."

Presenter: Professor HARRY BOYTE. Founder and co-director of the Center
for Democracy and Citizenship at Augsburg College, Boyte is also a senior
fellow and graduate faculty member of the Humphrey Institute at the
University of Minnesota. His career as an activist and scholar dates back
to the 1960s when he was a Field Secretary for Martin Luther King's
Southern Christian Leadership Conference. He was a national coordinator
(1993-95) for New Citizenship, a confederation of professionals working
with the White House Domestic Policy Council and in this and many other
capacities has tried to bridge the gap between citizens and government. A
prolific writer, Boyte has authored eight books and more than a hundred
scholarly articles on democracy, citizenship and community organizing and
has appeared frequently on CBS's morning and evening news and on MPR.