Progressive Calendar 10.03.10
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 03:01:30 -0700 (PDT)

1. Children/poverty   10.04 9am
2. $ redistribution   10.04 10:45am
3. Peace walk         10.04 6pm RiverFalls WI
4. Call Eric Holder   10.04

5. Biden/his time     10.05 9am
6. Amnesty Intl       10.05 7pm
7. TroubledWaters     10.05 8pm

8. Alliant vigil      10.06 7am
9. New solar cells    10.06 12noon
10. Merriam/peace     10.06 6pm
11. Boggling blogging 10.06 6:30pm
12. Asphalt plant     10.06 6:30pm

13. Polly Mann        - An enemy of the state?
14. Mendez/Napolitano - It's time to stop dreaming and marching

--------1 of 14--------

From: TruthToTell <andydriscoll [at] truthtotell.org>
Subject: Children/poverty 10.04 9am

TruthToTell Mon Oct 4 @9AM: 10-10-10: March for Children's Agenda - KFAI
FM 90.3/106.7/Online @KFAI.org

They're calling it the Minnesota March for Children. It's on October 10,
thus the moniker, 10-10-10. The Children's Defense Fund (CDF) says it will
rally 10,000 Minnesotans at the State Capitol that day - a major effort to
tell state senators and representatives that children must be the prime
concern of all policy decisions made at the legislature in the 2011
Session. The day coincides with Children's Sabbath, an effort to pull in
congregations from around the state as well.

According to Jim Koppel of the CDF, between 2008 and 2009, nearly 34,000
more children were living in poverty in Minnesota, according to the
American Community Survey. This continues an alarming trend in Minnesota
that has seen a 56% increase (60,000 more children) in children living in
poverty since 2000. - Repeat: 56% and 60,000 MORE children in poverty - in
Minnesota! Poverty is defined as an annual income of below $21,947 for a
four-person family.

It's as clear as the recession and poverty itself, not to mention the
stagnant and deficit-laden budgets of schools, healthcare programs,
corrections and human services, environmental concerns, public safety -
name it - that children are affected directly by each and every issue we
deal with at every level of living and public policy. The fact that
children are at the forefront of those affected by these issues, just
because they don't vote - yet - does not mean they should not be our first
priority in addressing those issue arenas.

The Minnesota March on 10-10-10 is designed to highlight these areas -
but we will talk about specific initiatives on Monday as we gather guests
and march movers in our studios to talk about what they should be. The
march itself will feature Garrison Keillor as keynoter and CDF National
Founder, Marion Wright Edelman in a call to action.

Join TTT's ANDY DRISCOLL and LYNNELL MICKELSEN as we examine more
children's issues in this Week Two of KFAI's Fall Membership Drive.

GUESTS:
 REP. SANDRA PETERSON (DFL-45A [NEW HOPE]) - Member, Early Childhood
Finance and Policy Division
 DARRELL YOUNG - CDF Young Advocates Leadership Trainee
 NICOLE HERNANDEZ - Youth Programs Director, Children's Defense Fund
 KARA ARZAMENDIA - Research Director, Children's Defense Fund
 MATT STEELEÂ - Youth Policy Analyst, Youth Community Connections

--------2 of 14--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: $ redistribution 10.04 10:45am

October 4: Minneapolis Branch American Association of University Women.
9:30 AM: Applause for the Arts. 10:45 AM: Joe the Plumber, Remember Him?
Historical Reflections on the (Re)Distribution of Wealth. 11:45 AM:
Announcements. Noon: Luncheon. 1:15 PM: Take Charge of Your Health.

--------3 of 14--------

From: Nancy Holden <d.n.holden [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Peace walk 10.04 6pm RiverFalls WI

River Falls Peace and Justice Walkers. We meet every Monday from 6-7 pm on
the UWRF campus at Cascade Ave. and 2nd Street, immediately across from
"Journey" House. We walk through the downtown of River Falls. Contact:
d.n.holden [at] comcast.net. Douglas H Holden 1004 Morgan Road River Falls,
Wisconsin 54022

--------4 of 14--------

From: Meredith Aby <awcmere [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Call Holder 10.04

Protests against the intimidation and harassment have taken place or are
planned for 39 cities across the country. From Minneapolis and Chicago, to
Los Angeles, Atlanta, Kalamazoo, MI and Dallas, Texas. The response has
been tremendous an continues to grow.

We are calling for further actions to take place in the coming week as the
first Grand Jury Subpoenas call for activists to appear on October 5.

Monday October 4 : Call Eric Holder, U.S. Attorney General: 202-353-1555
Demand :
End repression of anti-war and international solidarity activists!
Return all materials seized in the raid!
Stop the Grand Jury Subpoenas of activists!

Tuesday October 5: Act in solidarity with activists called before the
Grand Jury
Take action at local federal buildings and FBI offices! Organize
demonstrations in your community!
Sign the Petition Now: www.iacenter.org/stopfbi
Funds for legal defense will be needed. We will announce where they can be
sent in the next few days.

Reach out to your organization or community group and send a statement of
solidarity. Steff Yorek, a long-time antiwar activist and one of the
activists whose homes was searched said, "The assistance and support we
have already received has been tremendously encouraging, with your help we
can stop this outrageous fishing expedition and attack on progressive
movements."

Committee To Stop FBI Repression:
www.stopfbi.net
Email: stopfbi [at] gmail.com

--------5 of 14--------

From: Melissa <smileyrevolt [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Biden/his time 10.05 9am

another visit by a big name democrat - this time at Macalester College -
Tues, Oct. 5 - 9 a.m.
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/09/29/biden-visit/

From: kari sprung <ksprung [at] hotmail.com>

Biden's Minn. Stop: Macalester Rally, Donor LunchNext week's visit by Vice
President Joe Biden will start with a Tuesday morning Macalester College
rally for Democratic gubernatorial nominee Mark Dayton. Biden is also
appearing at a fundraising luncheon for Dayton, although the location
hasn't been announced.Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich also plans to be
in Minnesota next week and intends to raise money for Republican nominee
Tom Emmer.

--------6 of 14--------

From: Gabe Ormsby <gabeo [at] bitstream.net>
Subject: Amnesty Intl 10.05 7pm

Saint Cloud Area Amnesty International meets on Tuesday, October 5th, from
7:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the St. Cloud Public Library, 1300 W. St. Germain,
Saint Cloud. For more information contact Jerry Dirks, 320-251-6491 or
jerry.dirks [at] gmail.com.

--------7 of 14--------

From: C Luger <cluger85 [at] yahoo.com>
Subject: TroubledWaters 10.05 8pm

tpt 2 has scheduled the film for tues. at 8 pm

Minnesota] censorship at U coordinated by big Ag???
http://www.startribune.com/yourvoices/103778904.html?elr=KArks47cQiUdcOy_9cP3DiU47cQUzyaP37D_MDua_eyD5PcOiU

--
U of M decision on "Troubled Waters" questioned by commission, other
funders

The University of Minnesota looks to be getting itself into deeper hot
water. After pulling the film "Troubled Waters" weeks before its premiere
for "scientific review," the department of University Relations sent out a
statement late yesterday asserting that University officials were
reviewing the film to see if it "meets the specifications of the
legislative appropriation to the University." The documentary was funded
in large part by the Legislative Citizen Commission on Minnesota Resources
(LCCMR) through the Minnesota Environment and Natural Resources Trust
Fund.

However, Michael Banker, communications manager for LCCMR, said that,
while the University has the authority for determining whether the film
meets University standards, "the authority to determine whether the
project meets the language of the appropriation and LCCMR-approved work
program is the responsibility of LCCMR and the legislature."

The LCCMR is responsible for overseeing $349,000 in appropriations funds
for, according to the appropriation language, an "educational documentary
television series on the waters of Minnesota designed to promote watershed
understanding and citizen action in protecting, restoring, and conserving
water resources."

Karen Himle, the VP of University Relations, yanked the film from TPT more
than a week ago. Banker said he can't explain why because the University
has yet to give LCCMR any specifics.

The LCCMR appropriation guidelines and work program are detailed below:

Appropriation: The Bell Museum will develop and create the first 1-hour
episode of a public television educational documentary series on the
waters of Minnesota. The series is designed to use storytelling and visual
media to promote citizen understanding and action in protecting,
restoring, and conserving Minnesota's water resources. The first episode
of the series, Waters of Minnesota, will focus on the Upper Mississippi
River watershed, which extends across approximately 70% of the state.

The Work Program description states that: The first episode of Waters of
Minnesota will focus on the Upper Mississippi River. Stories about the
upper Mississippi River watershed , a system which extends over
approximately 70 % of the Minnesota landscape, will reveal much about
Minnesota's lakes, wetlands, and rivers.  This one-hour documentary will
tell stories that: 1) provide an overview and basic understanding of the
State's hydrology; 2) look at the Mississippi River both as a natural
system and as an engineered system; and 3) explore how the River links us
ecologically and economically at a global scale.

"I made a request to Karen Himle on September 16th to provide us with
documentations of concerns so we can consider them within our own review,"
Banker said. "I was informed that the documentation did not exist at the
time."

The film was completed last year, underwent scientific review, according
to the filmmakers, and was viewed by numerous people within the University
this spring. Yet, in a statement issued yesterday, the University said
concerns were raised among University officials and staff after recent
viewings: "As a result of input received from these viewers, Bell Museum
Director Susan Weller has requested a small group of qualified faculty
review the film and advise her on whether the documentary as edited meets
the specifications of the legislative appropriation to the University, and
is factually accurate, objective and balanced in its presentation."
[UPDATE: On Friday, Dean Al Levine of the U's School of Agriculture told
MPR that the documentary is "unbalanced" and "vilifies agriculture."]

Banker said that, so far, Himle is the only one to talk with LCCMR about
her concerns, and none of them are rooted in specifics. "To the best of my
knowledge, it appears that the concerns and requests to halt the film rose
from the Office of University Relations," he said. "So far, Karen Himle is
the only one who has been in communication with LCCMR about concerns."

Himle did not contact LCCMR with concerns about the film, or to tell them
that its premiere had been canceled. "I contacted Himle after first
learning on Wednesday that the film had been pulled last week," Banker
said.

As we reported yesterday, Karen Himle is married to John Himle, a
principal at Himle Horner, a firm representing big ag organizations. John
Himle sent an email to the Twin Cities Daily Planet yesterday stating
that, "For the record, neither Himle Horner Inc., nor I, nor anyone
connected to our firm has had any involvement in this issue whatsoever.
None. Zero."

Still, the question is whether Karen Himle's connection to Himle Horner
and the Minnesota Agri-Growth Council, a proponent of ethanol and
industrial agriculture, poses a serious conflict of interest for the
University. Dan Wolter, the director of News Service in the Office of
University Relations, has yet to respond to questions raised by TC Daily
Planet about issues of conflict of interest.

LCCMR is still waiting to hear the University's specific issues with the
film.

"We still don't know what specific concerns the University has," Banker
said. "But because the University raised concerns, we are in the process
of extensively reviewing the film to see if it meets the appropriation
language. However, we are still waiting to hear what their specific
concerns are so we can better make that determination."

Other funders, including the McKnight Foundation and the Mississippi River
Fund told the Star Tribune that they were troubled by the decision and
waiting for an explanation from the University of Minnesota.

Copyright: 2010 Molly Priesmeyer
Molly Priesmeyer
Molly Priesmeyer (mollypriesmeyer [at] tcdailyplanet.net) is a freelance writer
and editor, living in Minneapolis.

--------8 of 14--------

From: AlliantACTION <alliantaction [at] circlevision.org>
Subject: Alliant vigil 10.06 7am

Join us Wednesday morning, 7-8 am
Now in our 14th year of consecutive Wednesday
morning vigils outside Alliant Techsystems,
7480 Flying Cloud Drive Eden Prairie.
We ask Who Profit$? Who Dies?
directions and lots of info: alliantACTION.org

--------9 of 14--------

From: Institute on the Environment <sjszurek [at] umn.edu>
Subject: New solar cells 10.06 12noon

FRONTIERS IN THE ENVIRONMENT
The Institute on the Environment's spring 2010 Frontiers lecture series is
now underway. Join us each Wednesday for a presentation and Q&A session,
followed by a casual get-together in the IonE Commons. The lectures also
air live on the Web.

10/6 - Eight-Track Tapes, Compact Discs and Solar Cells Speaker: Eray
Aydil, Professor, Chemical Engineering and Materials Science.
At least a dozen existing technologies produce solar cells with overall
power conversion efficiencies ranging from 5% to 40%. Given that these
technologies are available, the question arises as to whether society
should invest in research to develop even more new technologies, or just
work to improve existing ones. Aydil will make the case that we should
continue research on new types of solar cells, basing his argument on the
decision in the 1970s to develop new recording technologies beyond the
eight-track tape - a decision that led to compact discs and eventually to
digital formats.  Even though new technologies are uncertain, Aydil will
argue, they are worth pursuing on the chance they may lead to even more
efficient solar cells at much lower cost, revolutionizing renewable
energy.

Lectures take place Wednesdays, noon to 1 p.m, in IonE Seminar Room 380,
VoTech Bldg., St. Paul campus. All lectures are free, no registration
required, and also air live on the Web.
Institute on the Environment | 325 VoTech Building, 1954 Buford Ave. | St.
Paul | MN | 55108

See the Frontiers page
(http://environment.umn.edu/news_events/events/frontiers.html) for more
details, including links to the live broadcast and archived presentations.

--------10 of 14--------

From: "Krista Menzel (Merriam Park Neighbors for Peace)" <web [at] MPPeace.org>
Subject: Merriam/peace 10.06 6pm

2010 Merriam Park Neighbors for Peace Meetings
First Wednesday of each month
6:00-7:45 p.m. (Note time change due to reduced library hours)
Merriam Park Library - Basement Meeting Room A or B
1831 Marshall Avenue (at Fairview Avenue), St. Paul, MN
Wednesday, October 6, 2010

--------11 of 14--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Boggling blogging 10.06 6:30pm

Excited about WAMM's New Blog? Become a More Effective Blogger.
What's Your Story? Citizen Journalism 101: Wednesdays, October 6, 6:30 to
8:00 p.m. Rondo Public Library, 461 North Dale, St. Paul.

In this series, participants will develop ideas about what they see going
on in their communities and turning it into meaningful content. We'll
cover how to best use a blog, using pictures to tell your story and
fundamental best practices for telling your story online. TC Daily Planet
editor Mary Turck will facilitate this series. Come to one or more
session, as your schedule permits. Free will donations accepted.

--------12 of 14--------

From: Megan Dushin <mdushin [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Asphalt plant 10.06 6:30pm

Roseville Mayor & Council Candidate Forum with emphasis on the proposed
asphalt plant

Roseville residents are invited to attend a Mayor & City Council
Candidates forum hosted by Neighbors Against the Asphalt Plant (NAAP).

It is scheduled at 6:30 - 8:30 pm on October 6 at the Community Room of
the Roseville Public Library.  The focus of the program will be the
Bituminous Asphalt plant proposed at the intersection of Terminal Road and
Walnut Street in Roseville, its potential impact on quality of life in
Roseville and implications such a proposal has for our civic governance.

The three candidates vying for two City Council seats have confirmed
participation: Tam McGehee, Bob Venters, and Bob Willmus, as have the
mayoral candidates, Dan Roe and Dan Kelzer.  All agree that discussing
this issue is important to several Roseville neighborhoods.

Roseville residents and NAAP members Sara Barsel and Gary Grefenberg will
moderate the program.  There will be plenty of time for questions from the
floor, as well as 20 minutes for attendees to speak with candidates on a
one-to-one basis.  Candidates' written answers to advance questions will
also be available for review.

Neighbors Against the Asphalt Plant (NAAP) is a non-partisan group of
Roseville residents and business/property owners who have recently
organized to stop the building of the asphalt plant.  The proposed
Bituminous Roadways site is within 1,000 feet of many homes and
businesses, raising alarm over the potentially damaging impact of toxins,
odor, noise and increased traffic. NAAP is co-chaired by John Bachhuber,
2223 Marion Rd, and Dick Klick, 2099 Fairways Lane.  Visit the NAAP web
site at https://sites.google.com/site/cleanairroseville/ for more
information.

[You'd think that not allowing a stinky noisy property-value-lowering
asphalt plant would be a no-brainer. But the majority of the Roseville
City Council has for years not seen a rich person/big developer
walk(slither?) by without wanting to engage in xxx and yyy and zzz with
them, uttering cries of ecstacy (Ohh do me!) all the while. So Roseville
area residents live in permanant fear of catastrophically stupid
"decisions" that hurt most residents and the future. When the council
majority go too far (eg their Twin Lakes bad action) they have to be
countered by expensive (over $10K) lawsuits. The mayor (one of the
council) was reelected with the interfering clout of tens of thousands of
dollars from the (non-Roseville) St Paul Chamber of Commerce; his
decisions reflect their pro-rich biases. So it's a continuing fight in
Roseville just for ordinary common sense; let up for a few years and the
city will be destroyed. -ed]

--------13 of 14--------

An Enemy of the State?
Polly Mann

[From: bill_sorem [at] me.com
Subject: Fwd: [New post]

Polly is 90 years old, co-founder of Women Against Military Madness and a
dear friend. When I dropped he off after a WAMM event last Sunday she told
the man at the desk of her apartment building, "If the FBI comes calling
for me, tell them I'm busy." She's been in most of my Grannies on the Mall
videos.]

Begin forwarded message: