Progressive Calendar 12.30.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 05:36:55 -0800 (PST)

1. WAMM: Gasa massacre 12.30 1pm
2. IJAN: Gaza          12.30 1pm
3. AWC: Gaza           12.30 1pm
4. JVP: Gaza           12.30 1pm
5. CPUSA: Gaza         12.30 1pm
6. Palestine/CTV       12.30 5pm

7. Jennifer Loewenstein - Israel's attempted endgame in Gaza
8. Neve Gordon  - Violence and lies: what, exactly, is Israel's mission?
9. Joshua Frank - Obama: "No comment" on Gaza's dead
10. Salzman/Garcia - Exception from humanity: the war against Palestine
11. Norman Solomon - Overkill in Gaza: a hundred eyes for an eye
12. Dan Lieberman  - Gaza attacks, timid world leaders
13. Balousha/McCarthy - Death toll moves above 300

--------1 of 13--------

From: "wamm [at] mtn.org" <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Protest Gasa massacre 12.30 1pm

Tuesday, December 30, 1:00 p.m.
PROTEST GAZA MASACRE!!!
National Day of Action Protesting the Bombing of Gaza
Local Actions

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 30
1:00 a.m. Protest and Press Conference at Senator Amy Klobuchar's office.
BRING SIGNS!  Palestinians, Jewish speakers and allies together give their
response.

10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. closing: Go to U.S. Senate and Congressional
Offices  BRING SIGNS!
 Senator Kloubuchar: 1200 Washington Ave. S., Minneapolis
 Congressman Keith Ellison:  2100 Plymouth Ave. North, Minneapolis
 Senator Coleman:  2550 University Ave., St. Paul (Al Franken's HQ is
across street)
 Congresswoman Betty McCollum:  165 Western Ave. N., St. Paul (corner
Western)

Also: WAMM members and others are encouraged to go to Senator Coleman's
office at 4:30 p.m. or earlier (Al Franken's office is directly across the
street.)  BRING SIGNS!

Local protests and press conference sponsored locally by Women Against
Military Madness (WAMM), Coalition For Palestinian Rights, International
Jewish anti-Zionist Network of the Twin Cities (IJAN TC), Green Party of
Minnesota. National Day of Action called and/or sponsored, endorsed by
National Council of Arab Americans, the ANSWER Coalition, Muslim American
Society Freedom, Free Palestine Alliance, and Al-Aqswa, International
Palestine Right to Return Coalition, Jewish Voices for Peace, U.S.
Campaign to End the Occupation Project to show solidarity with the
Palestinian people in Gaza and to demand an immediate end to the murderous
attacks carried out by the Israeli military against the people of Gaza.

--------2 of 13--------

From: IJAN Twin Cities <ijan.tc [at] gmail.com>
Subject: IJAN Gaza 12.30 1pm

INTERNATIONAL JEWISH ANTI-ZIONIST NETWORK
IJAN-TWIN CITIES
Ijan.tc [at] gmail.com
www.ijsn.net

Contact:  Flo Razowsky
Phone:  612- 850-4942

Members of the Twin Cities Jewish Community Voice Outrage Over Latest
Israeli Military Action at Upcoming Demonstration

Minneapolis, MN December 30th 2008 - Hundreds will converge outside
Minnesota US Senator Amy Klobuchar's Minneapolis office, 1200 Washington
Avenue South, Suite 250, tomorrow from 10am to 5pm to protest Israeli
military's latest brutal strike against Palestinian civilians in Gaza.

At 1pm a press conference will be held, at which time members of the local
Jewish community and the International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network (IJAN)
will read the following statement:

"As of this writing, Israel's massacre of Palestinians in occupied Gaza
has killed nearly 300, and injured hundreds more - mostly civilians -
since Saturday, December 26th. Over a thousand tons of bombs have been
dropped on one of the most densely populated places in the world.
"Operation Cast Lead", coming after an 18-month siege on the Gaza Strip
that created electricity and water shortages and cut means for producing
basics such as daily bread, has exacerbated the humanitarian catastrophe
faced by Gaza's 1.5 million residents.

"Israel carried out these recent attacks with F16 fighter jets and
missiles provided by U.S. tax dollars. The state of Minnesota is
especially invested in Israel, holding Israeli bonds, while Governor
Pawlenty is meeting with Israeli trade representatives to further the
Minnesota-Israeli economic partnership. In light of this economic alliance
and the moral responsibility that comes along, we demand Governor Pawlenty
cut our trade and investment ties with Israel instead of financing this
humanitarian crisis.

 "As Jews in the Twin Cities, we stand with the world majority in the call
to immediately end Israel's current and devastating aggression in Gaza,
for Israel to be held accountable for it's actions, and for our fellow
Minnesotans and specifically Jews to join us. As Jews of conscience it is
our responsibility to decry these atrocities done in our name."

--------3 of 13--------

From: Meredith Aby <awcmere [at] gmail.com>
Subject: AWC: Gaza 12.30 1pm

National Day of Action for GAZA!

Tuesday, December 30 @ 10 am - 5pm @ Sen. Klobuchar's office (1200
Washington Ave. S.) & @ Rep. Ellison's office (2100 Plymouth Ave. N.) in
Minneapolis

Please participate in demonstrations to protest the Israeli actions in
Gaza and the US' unconditional support of Israel.  The ANSWER Coalition,
Muslim American Society Freedom, Free Palestine Alliance, National Council
of Arab Americans, and Al-Awda, International Palestine Right to Return
Coalition are calling for Tuesday, December 30 to be a National Day of
Action to show solidarity with the Palestinian people in Gaza and to
demand an immediate end to the murderous attacks carried out by the
Israeli military against the people of Gaza.  There will be a press
conference at 1pm at Sen. Klobuchar's office.  These demonstrations are
organized locally by WAMM - Women Against Military Madness, Coalition For
Palestinian Rights, International Jewish anti-Zionist Network Twin Cities
(IJAN TC), Green Party of Minnesota.

For more info go to:
http://www.twincities.indymedia.org/2008/dec/protest-israeli-actions-gaza-tuesday

--------4 of 13--------

From: "Stephanie Roth, Jewish Voice for Peace"
    <info [at] jewishvoiceforpeace.org>
Subject: JVP: Gaza 12.30 1pm

Heartbreaking tragedy
Dear Supporter,
The news about the attacks in Gaza is beyond words. "Appalling" doesn't
even come close.

U.S.-supplied Israeli F-16 warplanes and Apache helicopters have fired
missiles and dropped over 100 tons of bombs on dozens of locations in the
Israeli-occupied Gaza Strip.  Over 300 people are dead and at least 1,400
more are injured. Many if not most of them are civilians.  Food and
medicine were already in short supply in Gaza and all medical facilities
have been completely overwhelmed by this onslaught. Access to Gaza has
been cut off by Israel.

This is the most violent and heartbreaking situation that has happened to
the Palestinians in recent history, and it must stop. In addition to
calling for protests at Israeli consulates and federal buildings, as well
as letters to the U.S. and Israeli governments, Jewish Voice for Peace
staff and members are already putting together an aggressive campaign
focused on Gaza. And, without a moment to waste, we call for an immediate
end to attacks on all civilians.

I am Stephanie Roth and I've been an activist with Jewish Voice for Peace
for many years, including serving on the board of directors. I've been
involved with social justice issues my entire adult life - both in my
professional life as an editor and fundraiser, and as a volunteer and
activist. There is no issue I find more important or compelling than my
work to end the Israeli Occupation. I am particularly saddened by this
weekend's tragedy, occurring just a week after the uplifting days when the
Shministim - the young Israeli conscientious objectors - caught the
world's attention with their courage to say no to violence on December 18.
I know that people in Gaza will stop dying when Israeli soldiers, like the
Shministim, have the courage to say NO. NO, we will not target civilians;
NO, we will not follow immoral orders; NO, we will not contribute to the
destruction of Palestinian society.

Together with the Shministim, and with the 1,000 Israelis in Tel Aviv and
thousands of others around the world who have already come out to protest
the Gaza onslaught, we say YES. YES, stepping up to speak for justice and
peace makes a difference; YES, we stand with the people of Gaza, of the
West Bank, of Sderot in Israel and the innocent civilians everywhere whose
lives are destroyed by cynical politicians and warmakers; YES, our voices
together are stronger than the voice of any one of us alone; and YES, we
are committed to the longterm goal of ending the Occupation and working
for justice, peace and life.

Jewish Voice for Peace's goal - MY goal - of ending the Occupation is a
long-term one.  Today, I will be giving the biggest gift I can to insure
that they have the resources for a swift and sustained response to this
most recent atrocity.

We are in this struggle for as long as it takes, and we need your help.
Please make the largest gift you can, today. Every gift is put right to
work, and every gift makes a difference.

"If not us, who? If not now, when?"

Go here to donate:
https://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/301/t/1849/shop/custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=4394
Stephanie Roth

P.S. I know that Jewish Voice for Peace will be asking for help in a
variety of ways over the next few days, weeks, months. Please, if you
believe in peace, if you believe in the Shministim, stay tuned and help
when you can. Thank you.

--------5 of 13--------

From: Erwin Marquit <marqu002 [at] umn.edu>
Subject: CPUSA: Gaza 12.30 1pm

CPUSA STATEMENT ON GAZA ATTACKS, URGENT

The Communist Party USA (CPUSA) emphatically condemns the continuing
Israeli air strikes in Gaza, which have left hundreds dead and over a
thousand wounded. The hundreds of Israeli air strikes have been carried
out with a total disregard for the safety of civilians and institutions
and are the latest phase in a campaign to blockade the economy of Gaza and
deny the people access to basic necessities. Israel's disproportionate
response to the resumption of the Hamas rocket firings into Israel after
the six-month ceasefire agreement expired, dramatically underscored the
Bush Administration's sidetracking of diplomatic efforts and negotiations.
In fact, the US government has provided the basis for Israel's military
action with continued military aid and supplies.

The Communist Party of Israel has suggested that the current Israeli
attacks are a demagogic move related to the current electoral campaign in
that country, as well as perhaps being intended to present the incoming
Obama administration with a fait accompli, making it more difficult for
Obama to adopt a new approach to the Israel-Palestine issue.

The CPUSA denounces the Bush administration for the verbal and material
support it is now rendering to the Israeli aggression. We condemn all
attacks on civilians whatever the cause or intention. We call on all
peace-minded people in the U.S. to demand an end to the Israeli
airstrikes, end threats of a ground assault into Palestine, along with an
end to Hamas rocket attacks, and to call on the incoming Obama
administration to make a radical change in US policy on the
Israel-Palestine issue, and to pressure the Israeli government to return
to honest negotiations toward a two-state solution.

TAKE ACTION:

1. Contact the White House to protest the attack and demand emergency
negotiations for an immediate cease-fire. Call 202-456-1111 or send an
email to comments [at] whitehouse.gov.

2. Contact your Representative and Senators in Congress at 202-224-3121.

3. Call upon President-Elect Obama to pursue a new U.S. policy toward
Israel/Palestine and send a message at www.change.gov

4. Join one of the many local actions protesting the assault on Gaza.

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Emile Schepers <international [at] cpusa.org>