Progressive Calendar 10.23.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 23:54:18 -0700 (PDT)

1. Nader youth/UofM  10.23 1pm
2. WalMart vs rights 10.23 4pm
3. Eagan peace vigil 10.23 4:30pm
4. New Hope demo     10.23 4:45pm
5. Northtown vigil   10.23 5pm
6. Oil/coal/NO       10.23 7:30pm

7. Nader/Clemente    10.24 11am
8. AfterRNC/planning 10.24 7pm

9. David Shove      - Single payer candidates DFL & Green
10. Jeremy Hammond  - How should you vote?
11. Swans           - Swans recommendations 2008 US elections
12. Robert Weitiel  - Why I'm voting for Nader
13. Pham Binh       - The Democrats: A Critical History
14. Rich Broderick  - Sale of the American Century! Everything must go!
15. Mumia Abu-Jamal - Three on economic crisis

--------1 of 15--------

From: PRO826 [at] aol.com
Subject: Nader youth/UofM 10.23 1pm

Come to a discussion with
ASHLEY SANDERS
Nader/Gonzalez '08  Youth Spokesperson

1pm, Thursday, October 23, 2008
325 Coffman  Memorial Union
University of Minnesota

She will speak on the issues that really matter this election, like living
wage jobs, opposing the Wall St. bailouts, investing in renewable energy,
ending the racist war on drugs, ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan,
and breaking the corporate stranglehold over the political system. She'll
also be taking questions and leading a discussion on the elections. You
don't need to be a supporter to come!

See an awesome speech by Ashley Sanders on why she's supporting Nader:
_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbJY2rs0QI_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPbJY2rs0QI)

Facebook  event:
_http://www.facebook.com/inbox/#/event.php?eid=87501365276&ref=ts_
(http://www.facebook.com/inbox/#/event.php?eid=87501365276&ref=ts)

Contact  info: 507-363-2413
_kschulz_14 [at] hotmail.com_ (mailto:kschulz_14 [at] hotmail.com)

_www.votenader.org_ (http://www.votenader.org/)

Rock the Vote by Rocking the Boat:  A Case for Ralph Nader
By Ashley Sanders

With less than two months before the election, Republicans and Democrats
are driving it home: this is the election of the century.

And they're right: there is a lot at stake this year. This could be the
year we change the lives of 47 million Americans by providing them with
decent health care and millions more with a living wage. It could be the
year that we listen to 68 percent of Americans and 84 percent of Iraqis
and withdraw occupying forces. It could be the year that we cut the
near-trillion dollar defense budget, repeal NAFTA, revoke the Patriot Act
and the illegal wiretapping FISA bill, build a green energy
infrastructure, discipline runaway corporations, and reign in the manic
speculation driving the current food and housing crises.

That is Ralph Nader's plan, anyway - to offer Americans what the polls
show they want.

So, while McCain sings about bombing Iran and Obama uses rhetoric about
'smart' and 'dumb' wars to stay in dumb wars and start new 'smart' ones,
Nader stands for strongly negotiated peace in Palestine, Iraq and
Afghanistan. While Obama dismisses his earlier commitments to fair trade
as "overheated," Nader would replace NAFTA with uniform environmental and
labor standards. And while McCain chants "drill, baby, drill" and Obama
prepares to replace Big Oil with Big Corn or Big Nukes, Nader calls for a
renewable infrastructure.

But the Democrats tell us that we cannot vote for Nader because there is
too much at stake this year. After eight years of Bush, the argument goes,
we cannot afford another Republican. We must rally behind the change
party. And for the most part, students are buying it. Emphatically
anybody-but-Bush and unfamiliar with the Democrats' duplicity, these
students mistakenly believe that ousting the current administration will
exorcise the demons of war, jingoism and economic imperialism they
represent.

History, unfortunately, tells a different story.

In 1992, Clinton ran an uncannily 'Obamaesque' campaign, branding himself
as a change candidate and peddling a vague but comforting populism.
Convinced, progressives rallied behind him.  Clinton won, but progressives
lost. Wage disparities between CEOs and workers ballooned from 113 - 1 in
1991 to 449 - 1 in ten years. Clinton pushed NAFTA, costing 525,000 US
jobs and devastating Mexican farmers. And, as a flourish on the way out,
Clinton repealed the Glass Steagall Act, allowing the mergers of banks and
investment companies that are at the heart of our current financial
crisis. In short, progressives got eight years of soft imperialism and a
corporate dream economy that Clinton admitted "helped the bond market and
hurt the people who voted us in." But that's not all. Progressives fell
for the same stuff in 2000 and then again in 2004, when anti-war Democrats
voted in droves for a candidate who had no intention to end the war - who,
rather, believed Bush was doing "too little" in the war on terror - and
lost both the election and the muscle of the peace movement.

It seems that pretty words do not make pretty presidents. Advisers and
financiers are the best indicators of the tone and direction of a future
presidency, and Obama's are sending clear signals that things will be
business as usual after election day.

Bewilderingly, Obama plans to solve the nation's problems by recycling the
architects of its moral and economic decline: Madeleine Albright, advocate
of unilateral aggression against Iraq, who said that US sanctions which
killed 500,000 Iraqi children were ­"worth it"; Warren Christopher,
who refused to use the word genocide during the Rwanda crisis because the
US had no "strategic interests"  there; Lee Hamilton, who stopped the Iran
Contra investigation before it could lead to the impeachment of Reagan;
Robert Gates, Saddam Hussein's chief weapons supplier and author of
violent intervention schemes in Libya and Nicaragua; and Jason Furman, who
favors decreasing corporate taxes, partial privatization of Social
Security and the so-called Wal-Mart model of 'prosperity.'

Unlike average Americans, corporations don't have to hope for change. They
can buy it, as long as the public remains too distracted by false promises
to demand the real stuff.

But we don't have to simply hope for change, either. If we did nothing
more than vote our own interests, we could win.

Will we vote in our interests, or will we refuse the easiest revolution -
the ballot box - because we don't know if others will join us?

Change has never been certain; it has always been a fight. We can start
now, or we can defer yet again, but the difference will be the difference
between real change and the chump change we'll get from selling the
movement to buy the machine.

--------2 of 15--------

From: Human Rights Center/Lauren Merritt <humanrts [at] umn.edu>
Subject: WalMart vs rights 10.23 4pm

The Human Rights Center works locally, nationally, and internationally to
provide training, education materials, and assistance to professionals,
students, and volunteers working to promote and protect human rights.

Discounting Worker's Rights in the US:
The Wal-Mart Effect
Thursday, October 23, 2008
4:00 to 5:30 p.m.
Presented by Carol Pier, Senior Labor Rights and Trade Researcher for Human
Rights Watch

Auerbach Commons
University of Minnesota Law School
Walter F. Mondale Hall
229 19th Avenue South, Minneapolis (U of M West Bank campus)
Free and Open to the Public
Hosted by The Institute for Global Studies and the University of
Minnesota's Human Rights Program

The right to organize and form trade unions has been recognized
internationally for almost 100 years as a fundamental human right. How are
US workers faring? Get a first hand account of the antiunion tactics
employed by retail giant Wal-Mart. In the context of weak US labor laws do
US workers stand a chance?

Carol Pier is the senior labor rights and trade researcher for Human
Rights Watch. In 2007 Human Rights Watch published an investigative
report, Discounting Rights: Wal-Mart's Violation of US Workers' Right to
the Freedom of Association, authored by Pier to illuminate the anti-union
tactics of Wal-Mart and the failings of the US labor law system. Pier will
speak on issues facing US labor law, including weak statues and inadequate
enforcement.

Hosted by the University of Minnesota's Human Rights Program and the
Institute for Global Studies. Co-sponsored by the University's Human
Rights Center, Interdisciplinary Center for Global Change, Labor Education
Service, Workers Rights Clinic and the Midwest Coalition for Human Rights.

--------3 of 15--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <family4peace [at] msn.com>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 10.23 4:30pm

CANDLELIGHT PEACE VIGIL EVERY THURSDAY from 4:30-5:30pm on the Northwest
corner of Pilot Knob Road and Yankee Doodle Road in Eagan. We have signs
and candles. Say "NO to war!" The weekly vigil is sponsored by: Friends
south of the river speaking out against war.

--------4 of 15--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: New Hope demo 10.23 4:45pm

NWN4P-New Hope demonstration every Thursday 4:45 to 5:45pm at the corner
of Winnetka and 42nd.  You may park near Walgreens or in the larger lot
near McDonalds; we will be on all four corners.  Bring your own or use our
signs.

--------5 of 15--------

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 10.23 5pm

email: (763)574-9615, ekalamboki [at] aol.com.

--------6 of 15--------

From: david unowsky <david.unowsky [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Oil/coal/NO 10.23 7:30pm

MAGERS AND QUINN PRESS RELEASE : For Immediate Distribution : Michael
Brune discusses his new book Coming Clean: Breaking America's Addiction to
Oil and Coal - Thursday, October 23, 7:30pm at Magers & Quinn Booksellers.

Personal friend and co-worker with Al Gore, Michael Brune has made green
living his personal goal in the face of global warming and our present
reliability on oil. According to recent polls, more than three-quarters of
Americans believe our nation should be energy-independent, and more than
70 percent believe our government should do more to help arrest climate
change. Yet Congress and the White House take only tiny steps toward these
goals, and large-scale investment in clean energy lags far behind the
urgent demand.

Why? And what can we do about it? In this timely book, Michael Brune,
executive director of Rainforest Action Network (RAN), shows us how we, as
motivated citizens, can engage in promoting solutions and collectively
pressure policymakers and corporations to change their energy priorities.
His vivid reports remind us of the economic, environmental, moral, and
public-health costs of fossil-fuel dependence, and how our government and
financial institutions are complicit.

Brune also describes the most promising developments in renewables,
biofuels, and efficient design, and outlines an inspiring vision of the
clean energy future within our reach. Under Brune's leadership, RAN has
had stunning success in getting corporations - including Home Depot, FedEx
Kinko's, Citigroup, and Bank of America - to green their business
practices, and his activist skills and passion are at the heart of this
book. Offering well-tested action strategies, *Coming Clean* is rooted in
the author's faith that Americans acting together can create profound
change.

Michael Brune is the executive director of Rainforest Action Network (RAN)
and a founding board member of Oil Change International, an organization
dedicated to dissolving the political barriers to a clean energy
transition. At age 26, Brune joined RAN to direct its campaign to convince
Home Depot to stop selling wood from endangered forests. After a year of
creative protests, celebrity activism, and shareholder advocacy, Home
Depot agreed. Time magazine called it the top environmental story of 1999,
and the announcement led to the protection of 5 million acres in British
Columbia's Great Bear Rainforest.

Under Brune's leadership, RAN has successfully campaigned to change the
environmental policies and practices of some of America's largest
corporations. RAN has been referred to as "some of the savviest
environmental agitators in the business" by the *Wall Street Journal*, "a
lean, green, fighting machine" by the *San Francisco Chronicle*, and
"rainmakers" by the *Financial Times*. Brune lives in Alameda, California
with his wife and daughter.

For further information, contact: David Unowsky 612/822-4611
davidu [at] magersandquinn.com

MAGERS AND QUINN BOOKSELLERS
3038 HENNEPIN AVENUE SOUTH
MINNEAPOLIS MN 55408
612-822-4611
www.magersandquinn.com

--------7 of 15--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Nader/Clemente 10.24 11am

KFAI PLEDGE PHONE NUMBER: 612-375-9030
SPECIAL Fall 2008 Pledge Drive PROGRAMMING on CATALYST:

FRI.OCT.24,11am:Hear ideas that must be fought for AFTER the 2008 Election
- ideas excluded from the presidential debates - from 2 Third party
candidates: independent RALPH NADER & Green Party VP ROSA CLEMENTE
(running w/GP presidential candidate Cynthia McKinney)
Howell.

--------8 of 15--------

Cc: Dori Ullman <doriandter [at] aol.com>
Subject: AfterRNC/planning 10.24 7pm

North East Suburban Greens (NESG) announce a panel forum "After the RNC:
Future Focus Planning".  It will be held at Walker Church, 31st Street and
16th Avenue in Minneapolis on this Friday, October 24 beginning at 7pm.

The panel will consist of participants in the RNC, including Michael
Cavlan who was a Street Medic during the RNC.

Michelle Gross is another member of the panel. She is the cofounder and
president of Communities United Against Police Brutality (CUAPB), which
works to increase police accountability and reduce police misconduct while
advocating for people dealing with the effects of police brutality.  A
resident of Minneapolis, she helped to plan protest activities around the
RNC and documented police misconduct during the protests.

The others on the panel will be announced.  We hope to see many others
attend this forum, whether they participated in the RNC or not.  We are
counting on your many ideas of where we go from here.

For More Information Contact:

Dori  Ullman   612-414-9528   dorijj [at] aol.com
David  Shove  651-636-5672    shove001 [at] tc.umn.edu