Progressive Calendar 01.26.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 06:28:32 -0800 (PST)

1. Church/state      1.26 10am
2. Welfare rights    1.26 11am
3. NWN4P-Minnetonka  1.26 11am
4. Free classes      1.26 12noon
5. New Hope vigil    1.26 1pm
6. Northtown vigil   1.26 2pm
7. Resist RNC        1.26 2pm
8. UN Afghanistan    1.26 3pm
9. Tiny feet         1.26 3pm
10. Homeland decency 1.26 7pm
11. Cops & you/CTV   1.26 9pm

12. Web design       1.27 10am
13. Stillwater vigil 1.27 1pm
14. Liberia/play     1.27 2pm
15. Marty/health/AM  1.27 3pm
16. KFAI Indian      1.27 7pm

17. Kip Sullivan     - New single-payer group in the Legislature
18. Marjorie Cohn    - Senate Dems poised to fold to Cheney on FISA
19. Elliot Cohen     - The end of privacy
20. Russell Mokhiber - Fastest growing corporate crime in America
21. ed               - bumperstickers - 2 for the price of 1

---------1 of 21--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Church/state 1.26 10am

Saturday, January 26, 10:00 a.m.-Noon - Humanists of Minnesota Chapter
Meeting. We will watch a DVD lecture by Dr. John E. Finn, professor of
government at Wesleyan University, on " Church/State - Strict Separation
or Accommodation?" Nokomis Recreation Center, 2401 E. Minnehaha Pkwy,
Minneapolis, MN 55417. Afterwards, attendees go to a nearby restaurant for
lunch and conversation. For information contact Scott Lohman,
ScottL2605 [at] aol.com.

--------2 of 21--------

From: Meredith Aby <awcmere [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Welfare rights 1.26 11am

Celebrate the Victories of the Welfare Rights Committee, Get Ready to Fight
for More in 2008!
SAT, 1/26th, 11am - 1pm, Walker Community United Methodist Church, 3104
16th Ave S, Mpls.

Starting on Feb 1st, over 7,000 families will receive $125 a month ($1500
a year) back in their welfare checks!  Come hear how the WRC won this
important victory and about their action plan for 2008 to fight for more
from the state legislature! Food and childcare provided.  For more
information call Angel at the WRC 612.822.8020.

--------3 of 21--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: NWN4P-Minnetonka 1.26 11am

NWN4P-Minnetonka demonstration- Every Saturday, 11 AM to noon, at Hwy. 7
and 101.  Park in the Target Greatland lot; meet near the fountain. We
will walk along the public sidewalk. Signs available.

--------4 of 21--------

From: excotc <excotc [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Free classes 1.26 12noon

The Experimental College of the Twin Cities is happy to inform you that we
are offering our 4th straight semester of free and open classes on topics
ranging from capoeira to global warming, co-ops to knitting, the social
responsibility of African American music to community journalism to
discussions on anarchism.

Register for classes now at www.EXCOtc.org or attend an EXCO Infosession!
Most classes are up but some will be added in the weeks to come so don't
forget to check back!

With 35+ classes on a huge range of topics, EXCO has all sorts of classes
for all sorts of people, and has grown tremendously since we began with 6
classes a few seasons ago. Moreover, we are dedicated to creating an
inclusive space open to all sorts of knowledges, particularly those that
have been historically marginalized.

We see our work as creating an educational and community commons to learn
about what we each find fascinating or important, and as a way to come
together to think about and take action on the challenges we face in the
world. At EXCO everyone can teach or take classes and all classes are
free.

Classes typically meet once a week on evenings or weekends, and will take
place all over the Twin Cities from Rondo Library in St. Paul to Arise
Bookstore in Minneapolis; no grades, no tests, just EXCO!

We are also proud to announce a new EXCO chapter based at the University
of Minnesota, and encourage people interested in organizing with EXCO to
join our organizing chapters in St. Paul or Minneapolis or to create a new
chapter in their own universities, neighborhood associations, housing
units, etc.

Lastly we would like to invite you to attend one of the two EXCO
Infosessions where you can meet teachers, ask questions, and register in
person:

In Minneapolis: Saturday Jan 26th 12-2pm
Rm #303, Coffman Union
300 Washington Ave. S.E.

In St. Paul: Saturday Feb 2nd, 3-5pm
Macalester Campus Center 2nd Floor Atrium
1600 Grand Ave.

For more information or ways in which you can be involved please contact
us at excotc [at] gmail.com or 651-696-8010. Thanks for your support and we
would be grateful for anything you can do to spread the word.

--------5 of 21--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: New Hope vigil 1.26 1pm

Saturday, 1-2PM - Weekly NWN4P vigil for peace in New Hope at the corner
of 42nd (Co. Rd. 9) and Winnetka Ave. N.  We usually park in the
Walgreen's lot or near McDonald's. You may use one of our signs or bring
your own. All welcome. Carole-763-546-5368.

--------6 of 21--------

From: Vanka485 [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 1.26 2pm

Peace vigil at Northtown (Old Hwy 10 & University Av.), every Saturday
2:00 -- 3:00 PM.

--------7 of 21--------

From: Eric Angell <eric-angell [at] riseup.net>
Subject: Resist RNC 1.16 2pm

The Republican National Convention (RNC) is coming to our backyard in
Sept. Feeling angry?  Want to do something?

Come to
Resisting the RNC: Minnesota Town Hall Organizing Meeting
Saturday, January 26th, 2pm
Walker Community United Methodist Church
3104 16th Ave S
Minneapolis

Please join us for a gathering of those who have already started
organizing to resist the RNC in 2008 and those looking for a place to
start. This will be a space for people to come together, share ideas,
energy and participate in the process.

- A discussion about the why the Republicans are coming, what it means for
our community, and why resistance is necessary.
- Followed by a listening session where those organizing for the RNC will
hear what you have to say about the upcoming protests.  Come and share
your concerns and views and have your voice be heard.
- Updates and presentations of the plans groups have for the convention.

After the program, please stay and mingle with each other, get to know
each other, and start to work together!
Childcare and snacks provided.

FYI: contact Kim: kimdefranco [at] yahoo.com or Andy: 612-719-4292 to reserve
an information table, present your "already underway" plans, and/or
volunteer to help with the event.

Co-hosted by:
Protest RNC 2008 - protestrnc2008.org
The RNC Welcoming Committee - nornc.org

--------8 of 21--------

From: United Nations Association of MN <info [at] unamn.org>
Subject: UN Afghanistan 1.26 3pm

We are pleased to invite you to the Annual Meeting of the United Nations
Association of MN. If you want to really find out what is happening in
Afghanistan or you are looking to get involved in an organization with an
international viewpoint or are interested in the environment, human
rights, peace and justice, then come along to our annual meeting!

United Nations Association 2008 ANNUAL MEETING
Saturday, January 26, 2008 3:PM - 5:PM
at the Weisman Art Museum University of MN, East Bank Campus
 2:15 PM - Pre-meeting Weisman tour for those interested
 3:00 PM - Social Time: Hors d&rsquo;oeuvres and Drinks (inc. wine and beer)
 3:30 PM - Annual Meeting and Board Election
 4:00 PM - Program:
"Rebuilding Afghanistan" - Mark Kryzer speaker

Mark Kryzer is a co-founder of In-Sight Solutions Group of management
consultants in St. Paul, MN. He is a former U.S. Foreign Service Officer
who served at U.S. embassies in Afghanistan and Pakistan. He just returned
from three + years in Kabul directing a project renovating its judicial
system.

$25 per person ($10 for students)
Please RSVP by e-mail at info [at] unamn.org or callling 952-240-9727

--------9 of 21--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Tiny feet 1.26 3pm

Sunny Day Earth Solutions is now staring winter workshops
1000 26th Ave. SE Minneapolis, MN 55414 612-455-1355 (fax:) 612-455-1356
info [at] sunnydayearthsolutions.com

Saturday January 26th 3pm -Reduce your footprint
Taught by Ramy Selim,owner operator of Sunny Day
As well as an edjucated earth citizen
Find simple, inexpensive, solutions to reduce your footprint on the
environment.
Aprox 2 hours Free workshop

[Decency. I didn't know if I should allow myself to mention it, because I,
a grossly indecent person, know next to nothing about it. But then I
thought, what the hell, screw that noise, and if you don't like it you
know where you can put it. -ed]