Progressive Calendar 04.15.07
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 05:56:27 -0700 (PDT)

1. Protest Ellison  4.15 12:30pm? 1pm?
2. Stillwater vigil 4.15 1pm
3. AI               4.15 3pm
4. Corp personhood  4.15 3pm
5. Protest Wilmar   4.15 6:30pm
6. Sami/Iraq        4.15 7pm
7. US crossroads/TV 4.15 8pm

8. Algerian writer  4.16 4:30pm
9. Wine/land        4.16 5:30pm
10. Women/rad art   4.16-22 6pm
11. Killing zone/f  4.16 6:30pm
12. Cam/schools     4.16 7pm
13. US satirized    4.16 7:30pm

14. Dave Marsh   - Rudy Giuliani, a racist with real power
15. Fidel Castro - The terrorist walks
16. Joe Bageant  - Hang the professors, save the eunuchs for later

--------1 of 16--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Protest Ellison 4.15 12:30pm? 1pm?

[Protest Ellison's pro-war vote and his even worse "justification" of it;
Betty McCollom's recent statement on MPR in favor of sending more troops;
Amy Klobuchar's pro-war position; etc.  IS there an opposition party, a
party of the people, an anti-war party - or just another facile tool of
the bloody ruling class? Fed up. -ed]

Sunday, 4/15, 12:30 to 2:30 pm, Keith Ellison holds town hall on "The Iraq
War: Steps Toward Peace," Powderhorn Park Rec Center, 3400 - 15th Ave S,
Mpls. andrea [at] mplscluc.com

Sunday, 4/15, 1 to 6 pm, the Network of Spiritual Progressives sponsors
"Generosity Sunday" to change the security paradigm from domination to
generosity, with speakers like Betty McCollum and Keith Ellison (perhaps
canceled, due to above conflict) plus panelists like Arlen Erdahl and Jim
Klobuchar, Plymouth Congregational Church, 1900 Nicollet Ave (at Franklin),
Mpls.  www.nspmn.org

--------2 of 16--------

From: scot b <earthmannow [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Stillwater vigil 4.15 1pm

A weekly Vigil for Peace Every Sunday, at the Stillwater bridge from 1- 2
p.m.  Come after Church or after brunch ! All are invited to join in song
and witness to the human desire for peace in our world. Signs need to be
positive.  Sponsored by the St. Croix Valley Peacemakers.

If you have a United Nations flag or a United States flag please bring it.
Be sure to dress for the weather . For more information go to
<http://www.stcroixvalleypeacemakers.com/>http://www.stcroixvalleypeacemakers.com/

For more information you could call 651 275 0247 or 651 999 - 9560

--------3 of 16--------

From: Gabe Ormsby <gabeo [at] bitstream.net>
Subject: AI 4.15 3pm

GROUP 37 APRIL MEETING REMINDER: SUNDAY, APRIL 15TH - 3 TO 5 P.M.

Join Group 37 for our regular meeting on Sunday, April 15th, from 3:00 to
5:00 p.m.

This month's presenter will be Kay Yanisch, who will discuss human rights
and other conditions in Guatemala. Kay is active locally in LAGOS (Lakes
Area Group Organizing in Solidarity with the People of Guatemala). Her
presentation will begin promptly at 3:00.

In our second hour, we will catch up with the work of our various
sub-groups and other Amnesty International news and campaigns.

Everyone is welcome, and refreshments will be provided.

Location: Center for Victims of Torture, 717 E. River Rd. SE, Minneapolis
(corner of E. River Rd. and Oak St.). Park on street or in the small lot
behind the center (the Center is a house set back on a large lawn).

A map and directions are available on-line:
http://www.twincitiesamnesty.org/meetings.html.

--------4 of 16--------

From: eric-angell [at] riseup.net
Subject: Corp personhood 4.15 3pm

A community discussion hosted by IMPACT:
"What Peace Activists Need to Know About Corporate Personhood"
Sunday, April 15, 3pm

Mayday Bookstore (Below Midwest Mountaineering)
On Cedar Ave, a block north of Riverside Ave
301 Cedar Ave, Mpls

Economist and activist Karen Redleaf leads the discussion.  Is peace
possible under capitalism?  How do corporations use "personhood"
protections to undermine our efforts to create a just world?  How can
human beings reclaim our sovereignty and create a lasting peace and
meaningful democracy?

Feel free to read something on this not-well-known topic.  Below are a few
suggested, but not required, links:

1. Article: "Is Peace Possible Under Capitalism?":
http://wmom.typepad.com/karen/2006/05/is_peace_possib_1.html

2. "A Force That Gives Us Meaning":
http://www.poclad.org/articles/ferner07.html

3. Corporate Personhood talk:
http://www.wilpf.org/docs/ccp/corp/ACP/Personhood_Talk.pdf

--------5 of 16--------

From: Brad Sigal <bradsigal [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Protest Wilmar 4.15 6:30pm

COMMUNITY GATHERING AND CANDLE VIGIL TO STOP DEPORTATIONS.
KEEP OUR FAMILIES TOGETHER.

Dear Immigrant Rights Advocates and new Minnesotans,

Come to a community gathering and candle night vigil to call for a
moratorium on deportations and raids in our Minnesota communities like the
one that just occurred in Wilmar.  Bring stuffed animals, family photos,
flowers and candles to value our families and bring hope to the children
and people who have been torn apart by recent immigration raids.  Let's
stand together for humane immigration reform and against terrorizing ICE
activity.

Sunday, April 15, 2007.  6:30 pm.
In front of the Ramsey County Jail, Ramsey County Jail, 425 Grove Street,
Saint Paul, MN 55101

Everyone is invited; let's stand together in the public light against
these injustices.  Various community leaders, legislators, and solidarity
groups will be present.

Community gathering and candle night vigil to end deportations and keep
families together.  Live solidarity music and speakers will address the
participants.  This event is being organized by Jewish Community Action
(JCA), Minnesota Immigrant Rights Action Coalition (MIRAC) and Minnesota
Immigrant Freedom Network (MIFN).

To build unity, dignity and hope with the families who are being torn
apart by racial profiling and terrorizing ICE tactics.  To call for an end
to raids and deportations.  To advocate for the passage of an immigration
bill with a clear path to legalization for our nation's new families and
workers.  To come out of the shadows and silence to help our legislators
know these injustices are happening and that they must be immediately
stopped.

For more information, please call 612-250-5926.

Alondra Kiawitl Espejel Communications Organizer aloespejel [at] yahoo.com
651.287.0660 x4 Minnesota Immigrant Freedom Network 2500 University
Avenue, Suite C8 St. Paul, MN 55114 www.mnfr.org

--------6 of 16--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Sami/Iraq 4.15 7pm

Sunday, 4/15, 7 pm, Muslim Peacemaker Team founder Sami Rasouli speaks at
Prospect Park United Methodist Church, 22 Orlin Ave SE, Mpls.  Kelly Jewett,
612-729-5814.

--------7 of 16--------

To: mizna [at] mizna.org, MPC <MinnesotaProgressiveCaucus [at] yahoogroups.com>
Subject: US crossroads/TV 4.15 8pm

America at a Crossroads
tpt2 Sunday, April 15 through Thursday, April 19 from 8-10PM
tpt2 Friday, April 20 from 9-11PM
America at a Crossroads

Distinguished journalist Robert MacNeil introduces 11 documentaries that
explore the challenges confronting the world after 9/11, including the war
on terrorism; the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan; the experience of
American troops; the struggle for balance within the Islamic world; and
Muslim life in America. Visit the companion web site for details on the
films in the series.

-------8 of 16--------

From: Joelle Vitiello <vitiello [at] macalester.edu>
Subject: Algerian writer 4.16 4:30pm

Macalester College
Monday, April 16 at 4:30 PM in Humanities 401
Rachid Boudjedra
"Faulkner et la littérature maghrébine"

Rachid Boudjedra (born in 1941) is a prolific  Algerian writer who has
published numerous poems, essays, plays and novels. Boudjedra's fiction
is written in a difficult, complex style, reminiscent of Faulkner. "La
Répudiation" (1969) brought him sudden attention, both for the strength
with which he challenged traditional Muslim culture in Algeria and for
the strong reaction against him.

Sponsored by The Department of French and Francophone Studies, the
Cultural Services of the French Embassy, and the Wells Fargo Foundation.

--------9 of 16--------

From: tom [at] organicconsumers.org
Subject: Wine/land 4.16 5:30pm

Next Monday, April 16th, there is a great opportunity to support the
organization doing more in MN to keep factory farms in check and support
sustainable, family farms, the Land Stewardship Project (LSP).

The Wine Company (http://www.twcwines.com/index2.cfm) is hosting Taste of
the Earth where over 60 organic, biodynamic, or wines from sustainable
farms will be available to sample. All proceeds go to the LSP and if you
purchase any wine from a participating retailer a portion of those dollars
will also be donated to LSP.

Taste For the Earth
A wine tasting benefit for the Land Stewardship Project
Monday April 16, 2007 - 5:30 - 7:30 pm
Old Arizona Theater - Minneapolis

You are invited to attend The Wine Company's Taste For the Earth, a wine
tasting event celebrating environmental stewardship. Attendees will have
the opportunity to choose from over 50 different organic, biodynamic and
sustainably produced wines from some of the most environmentally sound and
innovative wineries in the world.

You will be able to order sampled wines at the event from your preferred
wine shop using forms provided at the event.

In recognition of Land Stewardship Project's 25th anniversary, The Wine
Company is generously donating 100% of ticket sales and all of their
profits from wine sales proceeds to the Land Stewardship Project.

The tasting will be held on Monday, April 16, from 5:30 - 7:30 at the Old
Arizona Theater in Minneapolis (2821 Nicollet Avenue).
Tickets are $23 and are required for the event. They can be purchased
online at www.localwineevents.com/Twin-Cities-Wine/event-121149.html.
If you have any questions please contact Mike McMahon at 612-722-6377.