Keith Ellison does the right thing on Iraq
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 13:04:03 -0700 (PDT)
In a message: [PROG] Apologizing for Keith Ellison's vote
on Sat, 24 Mar 2007, Charles Underwood wrote:

> My guess is that
> he has been duped into thinking that the Pelosi bill was actually the most
> direct possible path to peace in Iraq, whereas I personally believe that it
> is a shameful tactic of the beltway Democratic leadership to continue the
> war until the 2008 elections, in order for Bush to drag his party down in
> electoral defeat.
>
> Eventually, I believe, Keith himself will understand this. Eventually, I
> think he will come to realize that he has made a huge mistake.
> We were not wrong to support Keith Ellison for Congress.  Like each of us,
> he is only a human being, flawed and sometimes weak and certainly quite
> capable of error.

There is a problem with Charlie's logic.  Namely that Keith's vote was
"wrong".  I believe Keith voted in a manner most likely to end the war
the soonest.  See the Moveon message below urging constituents to
thank Keith for this tough vote.

There is a regretable lack of understanding of our political system, That
is that in the end practical politics rules.  Our political system is
based on compromise. And while it may feel good to vote for what one
really wants, if the proposition has no chance of ultimately prevailing it
is a token vote and has no practical consequence.

Fred

--
Communications for Justice -- Free, superior listserv's w/o ads:
http://justcomm.org      My Link Pg: http://fholson.cohousing.org
612-588-9532 (7am-10pm CST/CDT)   Email: fholson at cohousing.org