Progressive Calendar 01.26.07
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 21:46:21 -0800 (PST)

1. Out of Iraq        1.27 1pm St Cloud MN
2. Islam              1.27 2pm
3. Social liberation  1.27 3pm
4. David Rovics/CTV   1.27 10pm

5. Bhutan/justice     1.28 9:15am
6. Single payer/KFAI  1.28 3pm
7. Asian music/food   1.28 3pm
8. KFAI/Indian        1.28 4pm
9. Antarctic lesbians 1.28 7pm

10. Welfare rights    1.29 12:30pm
11. AI Augustana      1.29 7pm
12. Rights trials     1.29 7:30pm
13. Bad Albright      1.29 7:30pm

14. Missy Beattie - Inside Bush's criminal mind
15. Jim Fuller    - The amazing success of George W Bush
16. PC Roberts    - The evils of escalation: Bush's state of deception
17. Joe DeRaymond - Paying for health care and not getting it

--------1 of 17--------

From: wamm <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Out of Iraq 1.27 1pm St Cloud MN

St. Cloud Protest U.S. War on Iraq: Bring the Troops Home Now! No to
Escalation! in solidarity with national anti-war march on Washington, D.C.

Saturday, January 27, 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Highway 15 and Division Street,
St. Cloud. Stand with those locally and nationally who protest the
escalation of the War on Iraq. Signs will be available or bring your own.

--------2 of 17--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Islam 1.27 2pm

Alternate Saturdays, 1/13 to 6/9, 2 to 4 pm, interfaith dialogue
organization Northern Lights Society presents series Understanding Islam,
2469 University Ave, Suite 110 E. St Paul.  bilgin [at] nlight.org

Series includes topics the virtues of prayer on 1/27, Mary on 2/10, Jesus
on 2/24, Islam and Democracy on 3/10, necessity of interfaith dialogue on
3/24, farewell sermon of prophet Muhammad on 4/14, terror and suicide
attacks on 4/28, other faiths according to Islam on 5/12, diversity in
Islam on 5/26 and Islamic art on 9/9.  RSVP to rsvp [at] nlight.org

--------3 of 17---------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Social liberation 1.27 3pm

Saturdays, 1/27 to 3/17, 3 to 5 pm, 8-week Work Peoples College class
"Imagination and Social Liberation" by Industrial Workers of the World,
Central Library, downtown Mpls.  Register at twincities [at] iww.org or
612-339-1266.

--------4 of 17--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: David Rovics/CTV 1.27 10pm

"Our World In Depth" has begun cablecasting weekly in Minneapolis on MTN!
At the moment, the Minneapolis cablecasts are on Channel 17 Saturdays at
10pm:

1/27, 10 pm "David Rovics in Concert: Haliburton Boardroom Massacre Tour".
Includes post-concert interview.

"Our World In Depth" features analysis of public affairs with
consideration of and participation from Twin Cities area activists.  The
show is mostly local and not corporately influenced! For information about
future programming of "Our World In Depth", please send an e-mail to
eric-angell [at] riseup.net.  (PS  It might be better than PBS.)

--------5 of 17--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Bhutan/justice 1.28 9:15am

Sunday, 1/28, 9:15 to 10:15 am, Westminster Presbyterian's social justice
team presents "A Success Story from Bhutan: A Justice Orientation in
government," Meisel Room, Westminster Presbyterian Church 12th St and
Nicollet Ave, Mpls.

--------6 of 17--------

From: Andy Driscoll <andy [at] driscollgroup.com>
Subject: Single payer/KFAI 1.28 3pm

For this Sundayıs edition of Truth to Tell on KFAI (3:00 PM, 90.3,
Minneapolis/106.7, St. Paul, streaming at KFAI.org), co-hosts Andy
Driscoll and Craig Cox examine why Minnesota still struggles with its
growing health care crisis. What are the arguments supporting universal
and single-payer health systems? Which public and private interests are
supporting or opposing either one or both? What political and economic
dynamics could bring major change.

Our guests include Kip Sullivan, veteran advocate and author of the book,
The Health Care Mess, State Senator Linda Berglin, chair of the Senateıs
Health and Human Services Division of Finance, Dr. Katja Rowell, a
physician in private practice, Dr. Steven Miles, Professor of Medicine and
Bioethics at the University of Minnesota, and, by phone, pharmacist and
health economist Joel Albers. These professionals will bring their
differing perspectives on the issue of and prospects for single-payer
health care, and weıll ask listeners for questions and comments.

Later, Driscoll, Cox, free-lance editor/writer David Brauer,
writer/commentator Lynnell Mickelsen will again analyze the weekıs key
news developments. Truth to Tellıs music director, Larry Long, selects our
interludes.

Support Public Affairs on Community Radio ­ KFAI!
Truth to Tell - Sunday, Jan. 28, 3:00 PM, on KFAI (90.3, Minneapolis/106.7,
St. Paul, streaming at KFAI.org)

Andy Driscoll, Producer/Host Truth to Tell KFAI Radio, Minneapolis/St.
Paul

--------7 of 17--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Asian music/food 1.28 3pm

JAN. 28: Macalester College students are hosting a Festival of Music and a
Feast of Central Asian Food on Sunday January 28 from 3-6pm at the
Weyerhaeuser Chapel.

The event is a collaboration of volunteers - musicians, students and
parents and local restaurants.

Featured performers are guitarist Dean Magraw and vocal and instrumental
ensembles from St. Paul Central High School^Òs award-winning music program
and Drumheart from the Women^Òs Drum Center.

Following the concert, food will be served provided by Afghani restaurant
The Crescent Moon, the Holy Land Bakery and Café Brenda chef Nick
Schneider.

All proceeds will benefit Fifty Lanterns Hazara Project
Admission is $10 Adults and $5 students.
Reserve tickets at http://www.50lanterns.org/News_Events.html
Sponsered by the Macalester Unitarian Universalists
FFI: Marita Bujold  651-646-0851

--------8 of 17--------

From: Chris Spotted Eagle <chris [at] spottedeagle.org>
Subject: KFAI/Indian 1.28 4pm

KFAI's Indian Uprising for January 28, 2007  #198

THE INDIAN TRUST PATTERN: LEGALIZED TAKING AND PATERNALISM, Friends
Committee on National Legislation (www.fcnl.org) newsletter, FCNL Indian
Report, Second Quarter 2005.  European and early colonial law held that
the nation which "discovered" the land in America became the owner of the
land, and the Indian natives only retained the right to live on it. In
addition, the prevailing view... natives were not capable of looking after
their own affairs and needed to take care of much as trustees do for their
wards.

COBELL V. NORTON: AN OVERVIEW. Cobell v. Norton is a class-action lawsuit
filed on June 10, 1996, in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. to
force the federal government to account for billions of dollars belonging
to approximately 500,000 American Indians and their heirs, and held in
trust since the late 19th century.
http://www.indiantrust.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Overview.Home.

OPEN LETTER FROM ELOUISE COBELL (Blackfeet), Jan. 24, 2007. The summer of
2006 has been an extremely volatile one for our cause. On July 11 the U.S.
Court of Appeals removed U.S. District Judge Royce C. Lamberth from our
case. In so doing, we lost the services of a dedicated and fair jurist who
had presided over our case since its inception in 1996. For complete
letter, see http://www.indiantrust.com/

AMERICAN INDIAN HOMELANDS: Matters of truth, honor and dignity-immemorial,
a documentary on DVD, hosted by Sam Donaldson and produced by Vanbar
Productions in association with The Indian Land Tenure Foundation.  See
www.indianlandtenure.org to order the DVD.  "The film... seeks to educate
the public about effects of federal law on Indian land ownership. It's
stories of land theft by government swindle, by legislative action and by
abdications of trust responsibilities should make you angry." - Art
Coulson, St. Paul Pioneer Press.

KEEPING UP WITH NIGERIA, an Op-Ed by Karin Lissakers, The New York Times,
Jan. 23, 2007.  In the last six months, media coverage, Congressional
hearings, lawsuits by private citizens and a scathing report by the
Interior Departmentıs inspector general have exposed a litany of failures
in the departmentıs management of oil and gas leases on public lands and
waters.
http://www.indiantrust.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Editorials.ViewDetail&Editor
ial_id=83&Month=1&Year=2007

SCIENTISTS PREDICT GLACIERS WILL VANISH FROM ALPS BY 2050 by William J.
Kole (AP), Star Tribune, Jan. 23, 2007.  Glaciers will all but disappear
from the Alps by 2050, scientists warned Monday, basing their bleak
outlook on mounting evidence of slow but steady melting of the continental
ice sheets. http://www.startribune.com/789/story/953131.html

PSA's: First Nations Composers Initiative grant opportunities, Georgia
Wettlin-Larsen 651-251-2825 gwettlinlarsen [at] composersforum.org; Camp Sheila
Wellstone for Indian Country, Feb. 27-28 (re domestic violence and sexual
assault), Lonna Stevens, 651-645-3939, lonna [at] wellstone.org.

Note: KFAI's website is currently undergoing changes involving temporarily
shutting down the Program Archives section whereby listeners could play
programs at their leisure.  This section should be available again this
spring or earlier.  Programs can be heard through live audio streaming
using a computer as the program is broadcast.  Click "Listen Live!" on
KFAI's home page.  See www.kfai.org.

* * * *
Indian Uprising a one-half hour Public & Cultural Affairs program is for
and by Indigenous people broadcast each Sunday at 4:00 p.m. over KFAI 90.3
FM Minneapolis and 106.7 FM St. Paul.  Producer and host is volunteer
Chris Spotted Eagle.  KFAI Fresh Air Radio, www.kfai.org, is located at
1808 Riverside Avenue, Minneapolis MN 55454, 612-341-3144.

--------9 of 17--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Antarctic lesbians 1.28 7pm

Saturday, January 28, 7 p.m.
Amazon Books
4755 Chicago Ave.S.
Minneapolis
612-821-9630 http://www.amazonbookstorecoop.com

Lesbians, Scientists, Explorers, Nature, and Love-In Antarctica
Gretchen Legler reads from and talks about her new book
On the Ice: An Intimate portrait of Life at McMurdo Station, Antarctica

Negative 120-degree weather forecasts, the abandoned huts, and
heartbreaking stories of exploration-these are the things one expects to
find in Antarctica. What most don't expect is modern-day Antarctica:
warehouses of canned food, decaying computers stacked to the ceiling, and
one of the largest lesbian communities on earth.

Gretchen Legler was sent south by the National Science Foundation Artists
and Writers Program to observe both sides of Antarctica. Having recently
divorced, come out as a lesbian, and broken up with her first partner, she
was more than happy to leave for the frozen south. Upon arrival Legler
quickly falls in love with everything about Antarctica: the land, the
stories, and the people-especially Ruth, a woman she meets there. The
result of her adventures is On the Ice: An Intimate Portrait of Life at
McMurdo Station, Antarctica-a sociological study, historiography, and love
story that reveals the most unexplored place on earth and the people who
are drawn to it.

This panoramic view is totally unique among the volumes of travelogues and
histories about the frozen continent.  On the Ice will give any reader
fascinated by the "farthest away place on earth" a whole new way to think
about Antarctica

--------10 of 17--------

From: Welfare Rights Committee - Alt Email <welfarerights [at] qwest.net>
Subject: Welfare rights 1.29 12:30pm

Monday, January 29, 2007 Join the Welfare Rights Committee for Testimony
for Senate file 154, in the committee on Health, Housing and Family
Security, on
Monday, January 29 2007 at 12:30PM, Room 15 at the Capitol.

Welfare Rights Committee will testify in Favor of Senate File 154, which
does the following;
Undoes the $50 Housing Cut!
Undoes the $125 SSI Cut!
Restores Child Care Co pays for poor parents back to the 2003 level!
Raises the MFIP cash Grants that have not been raised in 21 years!
Undoes the Family Cap!
Undoes the MA Co-pays!
Eliminates the 20-hour work requirement to get Post secondary Education
while on MFIP!
Gives More Extensions for families who come up on the 5-year live time limit
while on MFIP!.
PROHIBITS WORKFARE/SLAVE LABOR IN THE STATE OF MINNESOTA!

Please come join and support the Welfare Rights Committee at the Capitol,
in room 15, on Monday, January 29th, at 12:30PM If you have any questions
please call the Welfare Rights Committee At 612-822-8020.

From: Gabe Ormsby <gabeo [at] bitstream.net>
Subject: AI Augustana 1.29 7pm

Augustana Homes Seniors Group meets on Monday, January 29th, from 7:00 to
8:00 p.m. in the party room of the 1020 Building, 1020 E 17th Street,
Minneapolis. For more information contact Ardes Johnson at 612/378-1166 or
johns779 [at] tc.umn.edu.