Progressive Calendar 09.30.06
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 03:00:41 -0700 (PDT)

1. Pax Christi        9.30 8:30am Rochester MN
2. Merchants of death 9.30 9:45am
3. Farheen campaign   9.30 10am
4. Risser campaign    9.30 10am
5. Colombia           9.30 10am
6. Vs KFC demo        9.30 12noon
7. Impeach/yard sale  9.30 12noon
8. Anti-stadium       9.30 12:15pm
9. Northtown vigil    9.30 1pm
10. 9/11/press/truth  9.30 1:30pm
11. WILPF potluck     9.30 6pm
12. ATK reunion       9.30 7pm

13. Kristen Olson     - Dave Berger lawn signs
14. Kristen Olson     - Jay Pond needs lawn signs, and literature!
15. Papa John Kolstad - Papa John Speech at 62 District/Very Green
16. David Schultz     - New report/money in 1998 2002 2006 MN elections
17. Todd Chretien  - Howie Hawkins/Debating the future of the Green Party
18. Todd Chretien  - Will Democrats ever fight for what's right?
19. Anne Onnymoose - Butch the rooster

--------1 of 19--------

From: Florence Steichen <steichenfm [at] usfamily.net>
Subject: Pax Christi 9.30 8:30am Rochester MN

Pax Christi MN assembly, Saturday, September 30, 8:30-3:00, Pax Christi
Catholic Church, 4135 ­ 18th Av. NW, Rochester, MN
Edina Gateley will give 2 talks on Rooted in God: Becoming a Just and Holy
People in a World of Violence and War + workshops

Registration includes includes lunch and Friday evening talk: $30 by Sept.
15; $35 after Sept. 15

For info or a brochure: Florence Steichen:  steichenfm [at] usfamily.net,
phone:  651-696-1642

--------2 of 19--------

From: Carol Masters <cmasters [at] bitstream.net>
Subject: Merchants of death 9.30 9:45am

All Conference activities will be held at:
University of St. Thomas [UST] Summit Avenue & Cleveland St. Paul, MN

The Concert will held be at:
College of St. Catherine [St. Kate¡¦s] 2004 Randolph St. St. Paul, MN

Saturday, September 30:  St. Thomas O'Shaughnessy Education Center, UST

8:15-9:30 am:  Registration for Conference
9:45-11:15 am:  Panel on Case Studies (Joanne Sheehan facilitates)
11:15am-12:15 pm:  document history of war profiteering and resistance
12:15-1:15 pm:  Lunch (Interest Group facilitators meet with Organizers)
1:15-1:30 pm:  Musical Interlude
1:30-2:45 pm:  Mutual Mentorship
3:15-5pm:  Interest Groups Session I

Basic strategy questions:

What are the short, intermediate and long term goals of your group?  What
do you need to reach those goals?  How does your group's work relate to
the movement overall? What resources can you provide to others?

Saturday, September 30:  Murray-Herrick Hall, Room #304 UST
7-11pm:  Honeywell Project/AlliantACTION Reunion, Storytelling and Party

Sunday, October 1: Murray-Herrick Hall, Room #304 UST
9:30-11:30am:  Interest Groups Session II
1-1:15 pm:  Musical Interlude
1:15-2:30pm:  Plenary: Sharing strategic questions, building on time line,
             bringing insights together.
2:45-3:15pm:  Reflection on Mutual Mentoring
3:15-5:30pm:  FINAL SESSION: WEAVING THE WEB ¡V NEXT STEPS
6:30-10pm:  The O'Shaughnessy at the College of St Catherine CONCERT &
RALLY with prince myshkins, special guests

Monday, October 2: Alliant Tech, Edina, MN
7am WEAVING THE WEB: A Nonviolent Action organized by AlliantACTION
                Transport provided. Bring a banner naming your group!

From: bbarnet [at] infionline.net

In celebration of the 137th birthday of Mohandas Gandhi, dozens of U.S.
and international peace activists will commit civil disobedience October
2nd at the Edina, MN headquarters of Alliant Techsystems (ATK), one of the
leading suppliers to the military of depleted uranium (DU) munitions,
cluster bombs and landmines. ATK also profits from the expanding U.S.
nuclear and space militarization programs. The nonviolent action will cap
a weekend conference on war profiteering.

The "Stop the Merchants of Death" conference is co-sponsored by the War
Resisters League (WRL), The Women's International League for Peace and
Freedom, and by local Minneapolis-St. Paul activist groups headed by
AlliantACTION, which has for the past 10 years been opposing ATK's war
profiteering. "One by one, we've seen the rationalizations for the 'War on
Terror' pass away," said conference organizer G. Simon Harak, speaking
from the WRL national office in New York City. "First it was weapons of
mass destruction that weren't there. Then it was to free the Iraqis from
oppression and now we see torture camps and tens of thousands of deaths
and maimings. Then it was democracy. Now we're looking at civil war. The
one thing that hasn't changed is, the war profiteers are literally making
money like bandits on this war."

The conference attendees are mostly veterans of extended nonviolent
campaigns against various war profiteers. In plenaries and small groups,
they will share successful strategies, learn from unsuccessful efforts,
and begin to coordinate a national campaign. Prominent among local
Minneapolis-St. Paul activists will be Marv Davidov, from the successful
Honeywell Project, which compelled Honeywell to divest itself of its
weapons production facilities. "What has changed in the last 20 years,"
observes Davidov, "is the immense influence these corporations now have on
the US government's decisions to go to war in the first place. Instead of
saying 'They make profit from war,' as we used to, it's more accurate now
to say that they actually make war for profit."

On Sunday night, in preparation for the October 2 action, the conference
will host a rally and concert with various speakers and performers like
the Prince Myshkins, who wrote the song :Mimi LaValley and 100 Nuns". The
lyrics tell of LaValley"s arrest during the annual SOA Watch protest
against the U.S. teaching terrorism to South and Central American security
forces at Fort Benning in Georgia.

LaValley herself is one of the youth organizers of the conference.  "It's
the students and youth who are going to be fighting this 'eternal war,'"
says LaValley, "and suffering its consequences unless we join together
right now to take the profit out of warmaking."

For additional information contact G. Simon Harak at the WRL,
212-228-0450, amc [at] warresisters.org; or Marv Davidov in Minneapolis at
(612) 874-7715. Details on the conference can be found at
www.warresisters.org/SMoD.

--------3 of 19--------

From: farheen [at] farheenhakeem.org
Subject: Farheen campaign 9.30 10am

Now that the primary break is over, it's time to get back to work. Here
are some volunteer events that I need help with.  Feel free to show up or
contact DJ at djstrohl [at] yahoo.com. Thanks All! -Farheen

Doorknocking times:

    * Every weekday we will be meeting at Midtown Global Market at 7PM
2929 Chicago Ave, Minneapolis, 55407 (near HolyLand Resteraunt) and go
doorknocking from there.

    * Saturday September 30th 10AM Nokomis Cafe 5155 Bloomington Ave,
Mpls, MN 55417
    * Saturday September 30th 1PM Nokomis Cafe (same address as above)
* Sunday October 1st 10AM Nokomis Cafe (same address as above)
* Sunday October 1st 1PM Nokomis Cafe (same address as above)

    * Saturday October 7th 10AM Hiawatha's Joe 4135 Hiawatha Ave. Mpls, MN
55406
* Saturday October 7th 1PM Hiawatha's Joe (same address as above)
* Sunday October 8th 10AM Hiawatha's Joe (same address as above)
* Sunday October 8th 1PM Hiawatha's Joe (same address as above)

* Saturday October 14th 10AM Blue Moon 3822 E Lake St Mpls, MN 55406
* Saturday October 14th 1PM Blue Moon (same address as above)
* Sunday October 15th 10AM Blue Moon (same address as above)
* Sunday October 15th 1PM Blue Moon (same address as above)

* Saturday October 21st 10AM Wilde Roast 518 Hennepin Ave. E. Mpls, MN
55414
* Saturday October 21st 1PM Wilde Roast (same address as above)
* Sunday October 22nd 10AM Wilde Roast (same address as above)
* Sunday October 22nd 1PM Wilde Roast (same address as above)

* Saturday October 28th 10AM Wolves Den Cafe 1201 Franklin Ave E Mpls,
MN 55404
* Saturday October 28th 1PM Wolves Den Cafe (same address as above)
* Sunday October 29th 10AM Wolves Den Cafe (same address as above)
* Sunday October 29th 1PM Wolves Den Cafe (same address as above)

--------4 of 19--------

From: Julie Risser <julie.risser [at] visi.com>
Subject: Risser campaign 9.30 10am

Things are rolling! And Saturdays are our time to really get out the lit.
From 10:00-2:00 we will have a volunteer holding down the fort at 6112
Ashcroft Avenue [Julie's house] in Edina. This Saturday we will target one
precinct in Edina and one in West Bloomington. Feel free to tie in at any
time during the 10:00-2:00 period. We need your help if we are to unseat
the incumbent Senator Michel. all 952-738-2308 for more information

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Colombia 9.30 10am

Saturday, 9/30, 10 to 11:30 am, Resource Center of the Americas
coffeehour,"Colombia: the Hidden War" with Meredith Aby, Jon Plotz, Katrina
Plotz and Erika Zurawski,  3019 Minnehaha, Mpls.  www.americas.org