Progressive Calendar 10.09.11 /2
From: David Shove (shove001umn.edu)
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 01:25:35 -0700 (PDT)

1. Atheist radio         10.09  9am
 2. Pental radio          10.09 10am
 3. Occupy MN          10.09 1pm/4pm
 4. BR/NotChristian    10.09 1pm
5. Stillwater vigil        10.09 1pm
6. Science denialism 10.09 1:30pm
 7. White privilege      10.09 3pm
8. Peace/justice        10.09 3:30pm

9. Naomi Klein - Occupy Wall Street: The Most Important Thing in the World
Now
10. ed             -  Drink to the rich!  (haiku)
11. ed             -  Bbumpersticker

-------1 of 11--------

Atheists
Atheist radio 10.09  9am

Sunday, October 9, 9:00am-10:00am  âAtheists Talkâ Radio
AM 950 KTNF in the Twin Cities or stream live at http://www.am950ktnf.com.
Guest:  Donald Prothero.   Contact us during the show with questions or
comments at (952) 946-6205 or radio [at] mnatheists.org.

--------2 of 11--------

Pentel
Pental radio 10.09 10am

Sunday, October 9
I will be discussing the Network on the radio show Survival Kit,
Hosted by Kel Heyl,
 On KFAI-FM, 90.3 and 106.7, and live streaming at: www.kfai.org
10 AM

Ken Pentel
Director of the Ecology Democracy Network
P.O. Box 3872
Minneapolis, MN 55403
www.ecologydemocracynetwork.org
kenpentel [at] yahoo.com
(612) 387-0601

--------3 of 11--------

Occupy MN 10.09 1pm/4pm

Occupy MN
All day, every day @ Hennepin County Government Center, @ 300 S. 6th St.
Mpls
There will be an ongoing occupation at the Peopleâs Plaza demanding people
before profits.  FFI:  occupymn.org

The AWC will have a teachin/discussion on Occupy Wall Street Not Afghanistan
at 1pm on Sunday 10/9.  Look for us at the People's Plaza.

-----
Joel Albers
It's ongoing, but, every day at 4 pm, Minnesotans are gathering for general
assemblies of the people. Call it the Embassy of Concerned Minnesotans if
you wish, to serve as a focal point for networking and actions to build an
alternative economy and direct participatory democracy. including NO Cuts to
health ad human services. So feel free to express your concerns in the most
creative ways (music, dance, theater, spoken word,cabaret,painting). All are
welcome, but especially if you are foreclosed and homeless, one of the
196,000 unemployed MN's, one of the 20,000 MNs who file for bankruptcy each
year, 500,000 w/out health insurance.

Welcome !!!! We are open 24 hours a day. We will form a budget where the
rich support the poor, the healthy support the sick, and the young support
the old. Intergenerational and multi-cultural solidarity !!!!
For those interested in taking back our health care  as a human right based
on need,  health care affinity groups for single-payer can be formed. I
believe there will be free food, first aid, etc, and you can camp out under
the stars !

If you want more info on mass nonviolent direct action basics, see the
UHCAN-MN list post from 2 days ago of the same title.

--------4 of 11--------

Atheists
Russell/NotChristian 10.09 1pm

Sunday, October 9, 1:00pm  Minnesota Atheists Little Canada Book Club
Caribou Coffee, 3354 Rice St,  Little Canada, MN 55126
This month's book:  âWhy I Am Not A Christianâ by Bertrand Russell

--------5 of 11--------

From: scot b <earthmannow [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Stillwater vigil 10.09 1pm

<
http://www.stcroixvalleypeacemakers.com/>http://www.stcroixvalleypeacemakers.com/

Atheists
Science denialism 10.09 1:30pm

Sunday, Oct. 9, 1:30pm  âScience Denialismâ
Party Room of Larpenteur Estates, 1276 Larpenteur Ave. W., St. Paul, MN
55113
This special presentation by Prof. Donald R. Prothero
The event is free and open to the public.  For more information, call

EXCO
White privilege 10.09 3pm

Everyday Revolutions Workshop and Discussion Series
A workshop series focusing on topics and skills that contribute to building
resilient communities and relationships based upon resistance, mutual
support, well-being, and joy.  See below for a schedule of the workshops.
More detailed info on each workshop at www.excotc.org coming soon!
Schedule of workshops:
October
Sun. 10/9 (3-5pm) White Privilege
Wed. 10/12 (6-8pm) Mental Health
Sun. 10/16 (3-5pm) Protest: know your legal rights
Wed. 10/19 (6:30-8pm) Zine Making starting
Sun. 10/23 (3-5pm) DIY Soaps, Shampoo, and More
November
Wed. 11/2 Screen printing
Sun. 11/6 Queer and Trans Issues
Wed. 11/9 Sewing and Fibers (tentative)
Sun. 11/13 Direct Action
Wed. 11/16 How to Deal with Police
Sun. 11/20 First Aid
All workshops will take place at the
Minnehaha Free Space (3458 Minnehaha Ave, Minneapolis)

--------8 of 11--------

Peace/justice 10.09 3:30pm

2011 Hawkinson Peace and Justice Awards: Charles âChuckâ Lutz
Sunday, October 9, 3:30 p.m.
St. Michaelâs Lutheran Church, 1660 West County Road B, Roseville.

Peace activist Charles Lutz of Minneapolis is the recipient of the 2011
Honorary Award of The Vincent L. Hawkinson Foundation for Peace and Justice.
Selected annually by the Foundation, the honorary awards and Hawkinson
scholarships are aimed at furthering the commitment to peace and justice of
the late Reverend Vincent L. Hawkinson, who served as pastor of Grace
University Lutheran Church in Minneapolis for 30 years. The presentation is
open to the public. Sponsored by: the Vincent Hawkinson Foundation for Peace
and Justice. FFI: Call 612-331-8125.

--------9 of 11--------

Published on Friday, October 7, 2011 by The Occupied Wall Street Journal
<http://www.thenation.com/article/163844/occupy-wall-street-most-important-thing-world-now>

Occupy Wall Street: The Most Important Thing in the World Now
by Naomi Klein <http://www.commondreams.org/naomi-klein>

*I was honored to be invited to speak at Occupy Wall Street on Thursday
night. Since amplification is (disgracefully) banned, and everything I say
will have to be repeated by hundreds of people so others can hear (aâk
aâthe human microphoneâ), what I actually say at Liberty Plaza will
have to
be very short. With that in mind, here is the longer, uncut version of the
speech.*

I love you.

And I didnât just say that so that hundreds of you would shout âI love youâ
back, though that is obviously a bonus feature of the human microphone. Say
unto others what you would have them say unto you, only way louder.

Yesterday, one of the speakers at the labor rally said: âWe found each
other.â That sentiment captures the beauty of what is being created here. A
wide-open space (as well as an idea so big it canât be contained by any
space) for all the people who want a better world to find each other. We are
so grateful.

If there is one thing I know, it is that the 1 percent loves a crisis. When
people are panicked and desperate and no one seems to know what to do, that
is the ideal time to push through their wish list of pro-corporate policies:
privatizing education and social security, slashing public services, getting
rid of the last constraints on corporate power. Amidst the economic crisis,
this is happening the world over.

And there is only one thing that can block this tactic, and fortunately,
itâs a very big thing: the 99 percent. And that 99 percent is taking to the
streets from Madison to Madrid to say âNo. We will not pay for your crisis.â

That slogan began in Italy in 2008. It ricocheted to Greece and France and
Ireland and finally it has made its way to the square mile where the crisis
began.

âWhy are they protesting?â ask the baffled pundits on TV. Meanwhile, the
rest of the world asks: âWhat took you so long?â âWeâve been wondering when
you were going to show up.â And most of all: âWelcome.â

Many people have drawn parallels between Occupy Wall Street and the
so-called anti-globalization protests that came to world attention in
Seattle in 1999. That was the last time a global, youth-led, decentralized
movement took direct aim at corporate power. And I am proud to have been
part of what we called âthe movement of movements.â

But there are important differences too. For instance, we chose summits as
our targets: the World Trade Organization, the International Monetary Fund,
the G8. Summits are transient by their nature, they only last a week. That
made us transient too. Weâd appear, grab world headlines, then disappear.
And in the frenzy of hyper patriotism and militarism that followed the 9/11
attacks, it was easy to sweep us away completely, at least in North America.

Occupy Wall Street, on the other hand, has chosen a fixed target. And you
have put no end date on your presence here. This is wise. Only when you stay
put can you grow roots. This is crucial. It is a fact of the information age
that too many movements spring up like beautiful flowers but quickly die
off. Itâs because they donât have roots. And they donât have long term plans
for how they are going to sustain themselves. So when storms come, they get
washed away.

Being horizontal and deeply democratic is wonderful. But these principles
are compatible with the hard work of building structures and institutions
that are sturdy enough to weather the storms ahead. I have great faith that
this will happen.

Something else this movement is doing right: You have committed yourselves
to non-violence. You have refused to give the media the images of broken
windows and street fights it craves so desperately. And that tremendous
discipline has meant that, again and again, the story has been the
disgraceful and unprovoked police brutality. Which we saw more of just last
night. Meanwhile, support for this movement grows and grows. More wisdom.

But the biggest difference a decade makes is that in 1999, we were taking on
capitalism at the peak of a frenzied economic boom. Unemployment was low,
stock portfolios were bulging. The media was drunk on easy money. Back then
it was all about start-ups, not shutdowns.

We pointed out that the deregulation behind the frenzy came at a price. It
was damaging to labor standards. It was damaging to environmental standards.
Corporations were becoming more powerful than governments and that was
damaging to our democracies. But to be honest with you, while the good times
rolled, taking on an economic system based on greed was a tough sell, at
least in rich countries.

Ten years later, it seems as if there arenât any more rich countries. Just a
whole lot of rich people. People who got rich looting the public wealth and
exhausting natural resources around the world.

The point is, today everyone can see that the system is deeply unjust and
careening out of control. Unfettered greed has trashed the global economy.
And it is trashing the natural world as well. We are overfishing our oceans,
polluting our water with fracking and deepwater drilling, turning to the
dirtiest forms of energy on the planet, like the Alberta tar sands. And the
atmosphere cannot absorb the amount of carbon we are putting into it,
creating dangerous warming. The new normal is serial disasters: economic and
ecological.

These are the facts on the ground. They are so blatant, so obvious, that it
is a lot easier to connect with the public than it was in 1999, and to build
the movement quickly.

We all know, or at least sense, that the world is upside down: we act as if
there is no end to what is actually finiteâfossil fuels and the atmospheric
space to absorb their emissions. And we act as if there are strict and
immovable limits to what is actually bountifulâthe financial resources to
build the kind of society we need.

The task of our time is to turn this around: to challenge this false
scarcity. To insist that we *can* afford to build a decent, inclusive
societyâwhile at the same time, respect the *real* limits to what the earth
can take.

What climate change means is that we have to do this on a deadline. This
time our movement cannot get distracted, divided, burned out or swept away
by events. This time we have to succeed. And Iâm not talking about
regulating the banks and increasing taxes on the rich, though thatâs
important.

I am talking about changing the underlying values that govern our society.
That is hard to fit into a single media-friendly demand, and itâs also hard
to figure out how to do it. But it is no less urgent for being difficult.

That is what I see happening in this square. In the way you are feeding each
other, keeping each other warm, sharing information freely and proving
health care, meditation classes and empowerment training. My favorite sign
here says, âI care about you.â In a culture that trains people to avoid each
otherâs gaze, to say, âLet them die,â that is a deeply radical statement.

A few final thoughts. In this great struggle, here are some things that *
donât* matter.

 What we wear.

 Whether we shake our fists or make peace signs.

 Whether we can fit our dreams for a better world into a media soundbite.

And here are a few things that do matter.

 Our courage.

 Our moral compass.

 How we treat each other.

We have picked a fight with the most powerful economic and political forces
on the planet. Thatâs frightening. And as this movement grows from strength
to strength, it will get more frightening. Always be aware that there will
be a temptation to shift to smaller targetsâlike, say, the person sitting
next to you at this meeting. After all, that is a battle thatâs easier to
win.

Donât give in to the temptation. Iâm not saying donât call each other on
shit. But this time, letâs treat each other as if we plan to work side by
side in struggle for many, many years to come. Because the task before will
demand nothing less.

Letâs treat this beautiful movement as if it is most important thing in the
world. Because it is. It really is.
Copyright  2011 Naomi Klein

*Drink to the rich1*

We all know the rich