Progressive Calendar 07.25.11
From: shove001 (shove001umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 13:26:50 -0700 (PDT)

1. Peace walk         7.25 6pm RiverFalls WI
2. 3CTC environ forum 7.25 7pm

3. Dine out/dissent 7.26 5:30pm/7pm 4. GLBT 7.26 6pm
5. Salon book club    7.26 6:30pm

--------1 of 5--------

From: Nancy Holden <d.n.holden [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Peace walk 7.25 6pm RiverFalls WI

River Falls Peace and Justice Walkers. We meet every Monday from 6-7 pm on
the UWRF campus at Cascade Ave. and 2nd Street, immediately across from
"Journey" House. We walk through the downtown of River Falls. Contact:
d.n.holden [at] comcast.net. Douglas H Holden 1004 Morgan Road River Falls,
Wisconsin 54022

--------2 of 5--------

From: Christine Frank <christinefrank [at] visi.com> + Subject: 3CTC environ forum 7.25 7pm

THE NEXT 3CTC ENVIRONMENTAL FORUM
A COMMUNITY DISCUSSION:
"STRAGEGIES FOR DEFENDING MOTHER EARTH & RESISTING ECOCIDE"
MONDAY, JULY 25, 7:00 PM
MAYDAY BOOKS
301 CEDAR AVENUE SOUTH
WEsT BANK, MINNEAPOLIS

Following up on the recent local showing of Franklin Lopez' edgy new film
END:CIV, 3CTC invites you to a discussion with Waziyatawin, Dakota
activist-scholar and featured interviewee in END:CIV.

We will seek to answer important questions posed in END:CIV. . .

*        At what point will we stop tolerating the destruction of the
ecosystems on which we depend for our survival?
*        When will we begin to actively resist this destruction?
*        What forms will this resistance take?

As an activist deeply committed to resisting the colonial grip of
civilization, Waziyatawin will offer her unique perspective and help
facilitate discussion.

** END:CIV  is a documentary based on the writings of Derrick Jensen.  You
may watch it online at:  http://endciv.com/

** Waziyatawin's projects have centered on Indigenous decolonization
strategies, including truth-telling and reparative justice, Indigenous women
and resistance, the recovery of Indigenous knowledge, and the development of
liberation ideology in Indigenous communities.  She is founder and director
of Oyate Nipi Kte, a nonprofit dedicated to the recovery of Dakota
traditional knowledge, sustainable ways of being, and Dakota liberation.
She is also the author of What Does Justice Look Like?  The Struggle for
Liberation in Dakota Homeland, published by Living Justice Press in St. Paul
and available at Mayday Books.

Sponsored by the Climate Chrisis Coalition of the Twin Cities (3CTC).  Free
& open to the public.  The Clean-Energy Vigil to Cool Down the Planet takes
place on the plaza outside the bookstore at 5:00 PM, followed by the 3CTC
Business Meeting at 6:00 PM.  All are welcome.  For more information, EMAIL:
christinefrank [at] visi.com or PHONE:  612-879-8937.

--------3 of 5--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org> + Subject: Dine out/dissent 7.26 5:30pm/7pm

Dine Out for Dissent!
Tuesday, July 26, 5:30 and 7:00 p.m. 3137 44th Avenue South,Minneapolis.
Members of the Committee to Stop FBI Repression (CSFR)
will cook dinner for you and serve you food and drinks in the backyard
of one of their members. Come enjoy a relaxing and delicious evening
of Italian food. There will be a 5:30 and a 7:00 p.m. seating. There
will be meat as well as vegetarian options for all courses.  Suggested
Donation: $30.00 for a four-course meal which includes wine. Funds
raised will go towards legal expenses. Hosted by: CSFR. FFI: Visit
http://mnstopfbi.wordpress.com/
.

--------4 of 5--------

From: hosthome [at] avenuesforyouth.org + Subject: GLBT 7.26 6pm

One of the ways that the Twin Cities' community is addressing
homelessness experienced by GLBT young people is through the GLBT Host
Home Program of Avenues for Homeless Youth, which offers a
transformative and community-based approach to providing gay, lesbian,
bisexual, and transgender youth with safe homes.  As volunteers of the
program, adults open their homes and their hearts to young people who
need and are looking for a healthy and nurturing connection.  If you are
interested in hearing more about this community building program, please come to one of the following informational meetings:

Tuesday, July 26, 6-8pm
@ Midtown YWCA
2121 East Lake Street
Minneapolis, MN 55407
www.ywca-minneapolis.org

OR

Thursday, July 28, 6-8pm
@ Midtown YWCA
2121 East Lake Street
Minneapolis, MN 55407
www.ywca-minneapolis.org

Come learn about the history of the GLBT Host Home Program and about the
application and screening process for potential volunteers. You will
also have an opportunity to hear from hosts who shared their homes with
youth.  See you there!

Questions? Call Raquel (Rocki) at Avenues for Homeless Youth:612-522-1690, ext. 110.

From: patty <pattypax [at] earthlink.net> + Subject: Salon book club 7.26 6:30pm

HI,   This Tuesday, July 26, is The Little Book of the Odd Month
Club.   The book we will discuss is  "In the Heart of the Sea, the
Tragedy of the Whaleship, Essex",  by Nathaniel Philbrick.  From the
book,  "The Essex disaster is not a tale of adventure.  It is a
tragedy that happens to be one of the greatest stories ever told."
ps. bring a title to read for the next book.

                        Shove rhymes with clove