Progressive Calendar 10.18.10
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 04:39:47 -0700 (PDT)

1. Women/cancer     10.18 9am
2. Call State reps  10.18
3. Peace walk       10.18 6pm RiverFalls WI
4. HennCo sheriff   10.18 6:30pm
5. Green Party 3CD  10.18 7pm
6. Ramsey judge     10.18 7pm
7. KFAI board       10.18 7pm

8. RNC 8 hearing    10.19 9am
9. Pentel/governor  10.19 9:45am
10. N Ireland/peace 10.19 11am
11. Talk salon      10.19 6:30pm
12. Erlich/terror   10.19 7pm
13. Laos/Bombies/f  10.19 7pm

14. Stephen Lendman - The Cuban 5: victims of US state terrorism
15. Maidhc Cathail  - Pentagon author on Zelikow's role in 9/11 cover-up
16. Glenn Greenwald - How propaganda is disseminated: WikiLeaks Edition
17. ed              - Bumpersticker

--------1 of 17--------

From: TruthToTell <andydriscoll [at] truthtotell.org>
Subject: Women/cancer 10.18 9am

TruthToTell Mon Oct 18 @9AM: WOMEN'S CANCER ACTION: A Very Different Race
- KFAI FM 90.3/106.7/Online @KFAI.org

For years, we have known of the environment's assault on our breathing and
other health issues, but not every neighborhood is afflicted with tar
companies, toxic run-offs from factories old and new whose owners have
ignored health concerns of employees and neighboring communities - more
often than not, low wealth communities and people of color, depending on
the state and locale - in the pursuit of cheaply earned profits.

Minneapolis-St. Paul is ranked 5th for the greatest number of contaminated
sites across the country (65,969 - one for every 48 people - plus 4,444
leaking storage tanks) with a mere 54 corrective action reports. We could
go on about how the MPCA ignores the reality of polluting facilities,
especially in this Metro Area. It's enough to know that our air and
groundwater, foods, drugs, etc., are likely killing us before our time.

[A fair price to pay for the local rich people to get richer and richer -
what do millions of us count versus dozens of them? This is America! Where
the rich do whatever they want! The American Dream! Them first and to hell
with us! If we don't like it, get rich - otherwise, TS! -ed]

But this is an even larger system issue our policymakers and regulators
and health care providers, especially pharmaceutical corporations, fail to
address adequately to protect our children as well as our adults and stop
the record number of cancer cases growing out of these toxic cities.

Although breast cancer runs rampant through the ranks of women for any
number of reasons, environmental catalysts are certainly a clear cause of
the majority of them. What else could yield such an epidemic as women have
experience over the last 40-50 years? Other cancers in both men and women,
not to mention children's leukemia cases, are decimating our ranks. These
are preventable cancers.

Toxicity and contamination from negligent corporations is not limited to
leaking tanks and factories sites, power plants and farmlands. It can be
found in our foods and cleaning products, our packaging and commercial
operations at all retail levels, to mention but a few.

But few organizations have been successful in addressing those real
causes, and why? Often co-opted by those corporations or needing to
survive as institutions rather than working themselves out of jobs as
cancer "preventers" and cure developers, they accept contributions from
and come to rely on major corporate interests for their sustenance and, in
the process, dispense with the soul of their existence. Has this happened
with the pink movement? Some claim it has in the usurpation of Breast
Cancer Awareness Month.

Back in April, Women's Cancer Action, formerly Women's Cancer Resource
Center, launched a non-profit organization and website,
womenscanceraction.org, focused on cancer prevention and support. A new
frontier in cancer resources and advocacy, WCA emerges uniquely grassroots
and independent.

With the website as its communication and organizing hub, WCA is focused
on exploring the link between cancer and the environment, connecting those
in need with support, and encouraging bold action to address the
political, personal, and societal challenges of cancer prevention.

Several women who have lived with cancer are the root of this movement and
organization and are prepared to pour resources and energy into getting
into the fight to install policies and processes to prevent cancer,
especially in women, but anything done for women will surely ripple into
all segments of the society.

TTT's ANDY DRISCOLLĀ andĀ LYNNELL MICKELSENĀ talk with the founders,
supporters and professionals involved in Women's Cancer Action and how and
why they came into being in the midst of a plethora of other groups
claiming to do the same.

GUESTS:
 BARBRA WIENER - Chair of the Board, Women's Cancer Action; Founder,
Women's Cancer Resource Center (has lived with cancer)
 REP. KAREN CLARK, RNĀ - (has lived with cancer) State Representative and
Volunteer Executive Director, Women's Environmental Institute
 KAREN EINESMAN - Program Director, Women's Cancer Action
 OTHERS TBA

--------2 of 17--------

From: WAMM <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Call State reps 10.18

WAMM Action alert-call State Representatives Today

On Monday, October 18th, a Special Session will be held at the Minnesota
State Capitol.  Representative Karen Clark and Senator Linda Berglin will
be introducing resolutions in the House and Senate to support local
anti-war and labor activists and to speak out against the recent FBI
harrassment and intimidation.

Call your Legislators and tell them to sign on to and support the
Resolution to Support local Anti-War and Labor Activists and to Disavow
FBI Practices and Policies that Threaten Civil Liberties!

Make your calls today through Monday Oct 18th To find out who your
legislator is Call: For State Representative:  651-296-2146 For State
Senator:  651-296-0504 or go to district finder at:
http://www.gis.leg.mn/OpenLayers/districts/

Background info:
The FBI raided on five homes and an anti-war office on Friday,
September 24, 2010. The FBI also handed subpoenas to testify before a
federal grand jury to nine activists in Minnesota.  The activists in
the Twin Cities who have been targeted include 8 women and one man
ranging in age from 29 to 71. Four are parents of children ranging in
age from 18 months to 6 years of age. One is a great grandmother. Six
are union members, five of them members of AFSCME Council 5, which
passed a resolution in support of them. All have been involved in
building the anti-war, international solidarity and peace and justice
movements in the Twin Cities for more than a decade each.

Please thank Rep Clark and Sen Berglin for offering these
resolutions!  (Rep Clark 651-296- 0294; Sen Berglin 651-296-4261)

From: Nancy Holden <d.n.holden [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Peace walk 10.18 6pm RiverFalls WI

River Falls Peace and Justice Walkers. We meet every Monday from 6-7 pm on
the UWRF campus at Cascade Ave. and 2nd Street, immediately across from
"Journey" House. We walk through the downtown of River Falls. Contact:
d.n.holden [at] comcast.net. Douglas H Holden 1004 Morgan Road River Falls,
Wisconsin 54022