Progressive Calendar 04.08.10
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 14:08:48 -0700 (PDT)

1. Franken/war       4.08 4pm
2. Eagan peace vigil 4.08 4:30pm
3. Northtown vigil   4.08 5pm
4. NV action         4.08 6pm
5. Ellison/Israel    4.08 6pm
6. ARC/Haiti         4.08 7pm
7. Cuban film        4.08 7:30pm

8. Dean Baker - The rules are written to protect the wealthy & powerful

--------1 of 8--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Franken/war 4.08 4pm

Minnesota Actions: "No More Dollars for Afghanistan War! Bring the Troops
Home Now!"
Thursday, April 8, 4:00 p.m. Office of Senator Franken, Drake Building, 60
East Plato Boulevard, Suite 220, St. Paul.

On or around April 15, the House of Representatives and the Senate will
vote on the $33 billion dollar supplemental bill for the war on
Afghanistan. The purpose of our actions is to urge our senators to vote
against the war supplemental bill and for the withdrawal of U.S. troops
from Afghanistan. Money needed to withdraw the troops can be taken from
the bloated $708 billion defense budget being requested by President Obama
for 2011, which is more than the combined defense budgets of all other
countries in the world. It is imperative that we speak out at this time
against the escalation of the war in Afghanistan and further assaults on
Afghan cities and towns, which can only result in more bloodshed, misery,
and death for U.S. soldiers and the people of Afghanistan, one of the
poorest nations in the world.

Our actions will include; 1) the reading of the names of some who have
been killed in the war in Afghanistan; 2) throwing shoes at the
occupation; and 3) a die-in. The action is patterned after the action at
the White House in Washington D.C. by twenty-four Minnesotans during the
last week in January. You can find articles and videos of the action on
the Voices for Creative Nonviolence website at www.vcnv.org. Initiated by:
the Minnesota Peaceable Assembly Campaign Committee. Endorsed by: WAMM.
FFI: Email braun044 [at] umn.edu or phone 612-522-1861.

Note: A separate action initiated by the Minnesota Peaceable Assembly
Campaign Committee will involve civil disobedience. (WAMM does not endorse
any action contrary to public policy that would be inconsistent with
exempt purposes under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) i.e.,
charitable purposes.)

--------2 of 8--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <family4peace [at] msn.com>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 4.08 4:30pm

PEACE VIGIL EVERY THURSDAY from 4:30-5:30pm on the Northwest corner of
Pilot Knob Road and Yankee Doodle Road in Eagan. We have signs and
candles. Say "NO to war!" The weekly vigil is sponsored by: Friends south
of the river speaking out against war.

--------3 of 8--------

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 4.08 5pm

--------4 of s--------

From: "[UTF-8] Isaac Martín" <isaacmartin [at] riseup.net>
Subject: NV action 4.08 6pm

Non-Violent Direct Action Training
with
Rainforest Action Network and the Ruckus Society

The rainforest agribusiness campaign targeting MN based General Mills and
Cargill is escalating. Whether you are a seasoned activists or are new to
direct action, please come to this training to learn the skills and get
plugged into this campaign.

Nonviolent Direct Action Training with Rainforest Action Network and
the Ruckus Society
Walker Church
3104 16th Ave. S
Minneapolis MN 55407
Map<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=3104+16th+Ave+S+Minneapolis&sll=37.71859,-95.712891&sspn=25.634107,56.25&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=3104+16th+Ave+S,+Minneapolis,+Hennepin,+Minnesota+55407&t=h&ll=44.946728,-93.251224&spn=0.011238,0.027466&z=15>

Who: Everyone who wants to learn NVDA skills and join upcoming actions
with RAN.
Why: RAN is escalating our campaign to get General Mills and Cargill to
stop destroying Indonesian Rainforests. We have some upcoming actions that
we want you to be a part of.

Thursday April 8th. 6-9:30 pm. Sufficient snacks will be provided in case
you don't have time to eat dinner before you come.

Nonviolent direct action includes civil disobedience and other types of
protest that pursue means of change outside of the established
institutional venues. This training is for people who already think NVDA
is a good idea and would like to learn the skills needed to participate in
NVDAs. This training is not for people who want to debate the usefulness
of NVDA as a tactic, though discussion of its strategic application is
always encouraged.

At this training we will practice NVDA skills! Some things we will cover
will include: variety of NVDA tactics, NVDA strategy, blockading,
de-escalation, dealing with what-ifs, legal consequences and interacting
with police.

"We who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of
tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already
alive." Martin Luther King Jr.

Trainers:

Madeline Gardner: has 10 years of organizing and action experience. She
has worked with GreenPeace, Rainforest Action Network, SEIU and many local
campaigns. She has helped coordinate strikes, banner hangs, blockades,
street theater, sit-ins and more. She is a NVDA strategy and blockades
trainer with the Ruckus Society.

Isaac Martin: Has been an activist and organizer for over a decade. He's
worked with diverse groups of youth, parents and community members on
Environmental Justice, Education, Housing and Tenants rights campaigns. He
is currently a NVDA trainer with the Ruckus Society.

Find out more about the Rainforest Agribusiness Campaign:
www.theproblemwithpalmoil.org
Meetup.com/RANTwincites
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#%21/group.php?gid=171114766350&ref=ts>