Progressive Calendar 03.25.10
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:31:00 -0700 (PDT)

1. Vs UofM pay cuts   3.25 1:45pm
2. Eagan peace vigil  3.25 4:30pm
3. Northtown vigil    3.25 5pm
4. Israeli apartheid  3.25 5pm
5. McChesney/Nichols  3.25 6/8pm
6. Vandana Shiva      3.25 7pm
7. Cuban film fest    3.25 7:30pm

8. StP women/history  3.26 12noon
9. Mexico             3.26 12noon
10. Palestine vigil   3.26 4:15pm
11. Marx on value     3.26 7pm
12. Eclipsed/play     3.26 7pm

13. CRA/Bicking petition - comments
14. ed                   - Bicking for CRA sign-on (updated)
15. Paul Craig Roberts   - Truth has fallen and taken liberty with it

--------1 of 15--------

From: Steff Yorek <yosteff [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Vs UofM pay cuts 3.25 1:45pm

Faculty for the Renewal of Public Education at U of M Hold Press
Conference Opposing Across the Board Pay Cuts.
FFI: Prof. Teri Caraway (612-624-3839; caraway [at] umn.edu
Prof. Eva von Dassow (612-626-4787; vonda001 [at] umn.edu
Prof. August Nimtz (612-624-1512; animtz [at] tc.umn.edu

Thursday, March 25, 2010, 1:45 P.M.
In front of Room 25, Mondale Hall (Law School), University of Minnesota,
West Bank Campus, Minneapolis, MN 55455
University of Minnesota faculty opposition to President Bruininks's
proposal for salary cuts

"At the University of Minnesota Faculty Senate meeting on Thursday, March
25, representatives of the recently organized Faculty for the Renewal of
Public Education (FRPE) will urge Senators to reject a motion by President
Bruininks that calls for uniform salary reductions," said Prof. August
Nimtz. "What we propose are alternative strategies, including a
sliding-scale pay cut, for dealing with the University's budget
shortfall."

In a recent letter to the Minnesota Daily, Drs. John Conley and Gilbert
Rodman emphasized this point, writing, "If pay cuts and mandatory
furloughs (which are, of course, pay cuts) really are necessary, the
administration's top priority needs to be protecting its lowest paid
workers: Bruininks' plan would impose mandatory three-day furloughs on all
hourly workers, reduce salaries for all other workers by 1.15 percent for
the coming fiscal year, with an additional 1.15 percent reduction for a
handful of senior administrators. Given Bruininks' rhetoric about how
severe the current crisis is, however, his proposed pay cuts are both
unfair to the University's most vulnerable workers and inadequate to the
task at hand."

The press conference will precede a 2:30pm Faculty Senate meeting to vote
on this issue, "Faculty are willing to accept reductions in compensation
sufficient to protect lower-paid employees, especially those who lack the
privilege of tenure, from suffering any cuts at all.  We urge the
administration first to cut expenditures that bear the least relation to
the University's academic mission, and if cuts to compensation are
necessary, to adopt a plan that is equitable rather than regressive" said
Professor Eva von Dassow.

In addition to FRPE speakers Professors Eva von Dassow (Dept. of Classical
and Near Eastern Studies) and August Nimtz (Dept. of Political Science),
representatives from unionized workers at the University and laid off
workers will express their support for the FRPE proposals.

For further details see the recent FRPE op-ed in the Minnesota Daily and
FRPE blog http://www.mndaily.com/2010/03/21/bruininks%E2%80%99-plan-bad-u.
<http://umnfaculty.blogspot.com/>

--------2 of 15--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <family4peace [at] msn.com>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 3.25 4:30pm

PEACE VIGIL EVERY THURSDAY from 4:30-5:30pm on the Northwest corner of
Pilot Knob Road and Yankee Doodle Road in Eagan. We have signs and
candles. Say "NO to war!" The weekly vigil is sponsored by: Friends south
of the river speaking out against war.

--------3 of 15--------

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 3.25 5pm

From: Meredith Aby <awcmere [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Israeli apartheid 3.25 5pm

Israeli Apartheid Week @ the U of M :
A talk by refusenik and member of Boycott from Within, Yonatan Shapira
Thursday March 25th, 5pm, Blegen 5

All events are open and free with refreshments provided. IAW is sponsored
at the U of MN by Break the Bonds <http://www.tc.umn.edu/~mnbbc/>,
Teachers against Occupation <http://www.teachersagainstoccupation.org/>,
and Al Madinah Cultural Centre <http://www.madinahonline.org/>. More
information:
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~mnbbc/apartheid.html<http://www.tc.umn.edu/%7Emnbbc/apartheid.html>
For more on Israeli Apartheid Weeks taking place across the world, see
apartheidweek.org.

--------5 of 15--------

From: Lydia Howell <lydiahowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: McChesney/Nichols 3.25 6/8pm

psa/MAR.25-26:MCCHESNEY & NICHOLS:"Death & LIfe of American Journalism

If you care about the crisis in journalism and want to be part of the
search for solutions, then come to one of these talks. And please be sure
to share news of the event with your friends in the area. FREE PRESS

Free Press co-founders Robert W. McChesney and John Nichols are going on
the road to talk about journalism in America today - and how we can save
it. They'll be appearing at three free events in the Twin Cities area on
Thursday, March 25, and Friday, March 26.

This is a great chance to hear about the state of the media from two of
the country's leading minds. As newspapers continue to shutter bureaus and
TV newsrooms cut staff, can new Internet news sites fill in the gaps? What
about the future of public media? McChesney and Nichols will discuss how
we can support newsgathering in our changing media landscape.

Don't miss these exciting events. They are free and open to
the public. Here are the details:

A Discussion on Saving Journalism
Thursday, March 25, 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
University Bookstore at the University of Minnesota
 Room 130 Murphy Hall
 206 Church St. SE
 Minneapolis, MN

TC Daily Planet Presents: McChesney & Nichols on the
Future of Journalism
Thursday, March 25, 8:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
 1011 Washington Avenue
 Minneapolis, MN

A Discussion on Saving Journalism
Friday, March 26, 2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.
 Hamline University, Sundin Music Hall
 1531 Hewitt Avenue N
 Saint Paul, MN

Jordan Berg Powers Outreach Coordinator Free Press www.freepress.net

--------6 of 15--------

From: Doris Marquit <marqu001 [at] umn.edu>
Subject: Vandana Shiva 3.25 7pm

Women and Water Rights: Rivers of Regeneration
 <http://womenandwater.net> KEYNOTE PRESENTATION-Dr. Vandana Shiva

March 25, Thursday 7-8:30 pm: Cowles Auditorium, Hubert H. Humphrey Center,
U of M West Bank,  Minneapolis

--------7 of 15--------

From: Minnesota Cuba Committee <mncuba [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Cuban film fest 3.25 7:30pm

Cuban Movie Festival 2010
7:30 p.m. Thursdays, March 4-April 8
St. Anthony Main Theatre
www.stanthonymaintheatre.com/

115 Main Street, SE, Minneapolis
Free parking in ramp at 2nd Street SE and 2nd Avenue SE
Admission: $6; 4 for $20

March 25 " The Waiting List** (Lista de Espera) by Juan Carlos Tabío*

Mixing sharp social commentary and comedy, director Juan Carlos Tabío
(Strawberry and Chocolate, The Waiting List) brings together a cast of
characters who possess drastically different personalities, yet find much
in common while they wait (and wait, and wait) for a bus to Santiago. As
each person enters the terminal, he or she must sign a waiting list for
the next bus. Reflecting the unwieldy nature of Cuba's problems, the line
grows longer, and the only buses that seem to stop are full or broken
down. As the passengers get to know each other, romance develops,
friendships form, and the bus station becomes more than a bus station--an
undertaking that echoes Cuban governmental calls for grassroots efforts
toward community improvement.105 minutes.

General audience discussion of film after screening with Gary Prevost,
Professor of Political Science and Latin American Studies at St. John's
University and the College of St. Benedict, who will share his research
and experience with Cuba's social democracy and the people's power
government in Cuba. Pracna on Main, next to the theater.