Progressive Calendar 03.04.10
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 08:43:25 -0800 (PST)

1. Education rights   3.04 12noon
2. Women/water rights 3.04 1pm
3. No new nukes       3.04 2pm
4. Eagan peace vigil  3.04 4:30pm
5. Northtown vigil    3.04 5pm
6. Climate/energy     3.04 5pm
7. Zero recruitment   3.04 7pm
8. Cuban film fest    3.04 7:30pm

9. Tom Cleland - Gordon votes against Dolan
10. Arun Gupta - Haiti: a new US occupation disguised as disaster relief?

--------1 of 10--------

From: Meredith Aby <awcmere [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Education rights 3.04 12noon

Chop From the Top!  National Day of Action for Education Rights
Thursday, March 4th @ noon @ Morrill Hall/Northrop Plaza at the University
of MN, Minneapolis, MN

At the University of Minnesota over 250 administrators earn more than
$200,000 in salaries while the Administration pushes its budget problems
onto the backs of staff and students. Skyrocketing tuition and staff
layoffs abound - and now we hear about possible furloughs.

Join students, staff & faculty around the US to demand that higher
education be funded.  Education is a right and not a privilege!  Now is
the time for those who can afford it to take the cuts!  Organized by U of
M sds and AFSCME 3800.  Endorsed by the AWC.

--------2 of 10------

From: Carol B <carol1145 [at] live.com>
Subject: Women/water rights 3.04 1pm

Water is a universal human right!  Learn about the global water crisis and
the need for gender-sensitive water management. Join us for a two-day
symposium Women & Water Rights: Global Policy - Local Action. Moderator
is DEBORAH SWACKHAMER, Co-director of Water Resource Center and Professor,
School of Public Health, U of MN.

Free and Open to the Public
see www.womenandwater.net for list of speakers and topics

Thurs. March 4 & Fri. March 5, 2010, 1-5:00 pm, In Flux space, Regis
Center for Art
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, 405 21st Avenue South,
Minneapolis, MN

Historically and today, women carry the water. As women play a central
role in water provision and management, women must be central in planning
for the future. The symposium brings together ten leading experts to
discuss and examine the rights to use of water by those who are
accountable guardians of this resource. Some of the questions being asked:

 *  Locally and globally, who are those responsible for the decisions
    regarding water as a resource for survival and as an amenity that
    adds quality to life?
 *  How might viable change to present practice be initiated?
 *  Is water a "property"? Who has the "right" to "own" it? Who can
    grant permission to "use" it?
    Who holds the rights to the Mississippi River?
 *  What are the issues involved in making water available to all?
 *  In the US, water rights are not a particularly gendered issue.
    Internationally, because women are not involved in the administrative
    or management decisions regarding water, it is.
 *  Do women bring a different perspective to the use of water?
 *  Do the current laws and rights affect women and girls differently
    than men and boys?
 *  Do women and girls receive environmental education mostly from male
    teachers? Does it matter?
 *  Why has gender equality become such a mainstream issue in water
    management around the world and what does that mean for Minnesota?

This symposium, co-sponsored by the Women's International League for
Peace and Freedom (wilpf.org & wilpfmn.org), the Women's Caucus for Art
(nationalwca.org), and the U of MN Department of Art (artdept.umn.edu),
is being held in conjunction with the Women & Water Rights: Rivers of
Regeneration art exhibition at the Katherine E. Nash Gallery, Regis
Center for Art.