Progressive Calendar 02.17.10
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:23:04 -0800 (PST)
                       Chief Dolan/CRA issue

1. Alliant vigil   2.17 7am
2. No more Dolan   2.17 9:30am/1:30pm
3. MN census/TTT   2.17 11am
4. Davidov/Masters 2.17 7pm

5. Sheila Regan - Mpls Chief Dolan reappointment sparks controversy at CRA
6. Anon/MGross     - Comment/clarification on above (#5)
7. Dave Bicking    - Writ of Mandamus directs CRA Bellfield to obey law
8. Dave Bicking    - Executive Committee
9. Dave Bicking    - Letter to Gordon re Executive Committee
10. Cam Gordon     - Reply to Bicking re Executive Committee
11. Michelle Gross - Judge orders CRA chair to comply
12. Dan Dittmann   - Do NOT re-appoint Tim Dolan
13. Bob Schmitz    - Mpls police
14. Dave Bicking   - Media coverage of CRA

--------1 of 14--------

From: AlliantACTION <alliantaction [at] circlevision.org>
Subject: Alliant vigil 2.17 7am

Join us Wednesday morning, 7-8 am
Now in our 14th year of consecutive Wednesday
morning vigils outside Alliant Techsystems,
7480 Flying Cloud Drive Eden Prairie.
We ask Who Profit$? Who Dies?
directions and lots of info: alliantACTION.org

--------2 of 14--------

From: Dave Bicking <dave [at] colorstudy.com>
Subject: No more Dolan 2.17 9:30am/1:30pm

[Contains a timeline useful when reading items #5-14. This is all
happening in the very next days and weeks. -ed]

On Wednesday, February 17, 9:30am, the Executive Committee [of the Mpls
City Council] will meet and actually decide whether to put Dolan's name
forward for the entire City Council to consider.  This may actually
generate some discussion or even controversy, and that could be a very
important meeting to watch, to get a sense of where members stand.
Remember that in 2006, Dolan's appointment almost got stopped at this
point.  It would be very important to contact the members of the Executive
Committee before this meeting.  They are:  Mayor Rybak, Council President
Johnson and Council Members Gordon, Glidden and Lilligren.  It takes 3 to
send the nomination on, and Rybak and Johnson are nearly certain to back
Dolan, so it is important to concentrate on the other 3.

Later that same day, February 17, at 1:30pm, the Public Safety & Health
Committee receives the nomination and sets the public hearing for their
next meeting, two weeks later.

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 3, 1:30 PM:  PUBLIC HEARING.  This is THE time to
mobilize everyone we can.  Everyone, especially those who can not come,
should contact the committee members before the meeting.  They are:  Don
Samuels (chair), Cam Gordon, Barb Johnson, Diane Hofstede, Betsy Hodges,
and Meg Tuthill.  At that same meeting, just after the public hearing, we
can expect the committee to vote whether to send the appointment to the
full council.

Friday, March 12, 9:30am Full council meeting will vote on appointment.
A simple majority (7 votes) is needed.  The Council approves almost
everything that comes to it from Committee, but a high profile item like
this can be different.  Before the meeting, contact all Council members,
especially your own.

If Dolan is NOT approved, the Mayor and the Executive Committee commence a
search.  Dolan continues to serve until another Chief is appointed.
Let's start a movement for justice and accountability!!

[And see items # 5-14 below. -ed]

--------3 of 14--------

From: Andy Driscoll <andy [at] driscollgroup.com>
Subject: MN census/TTT 2.17 11am

TRUTH TO TELL 11AM - FEBRUARY 17 CENSUS 2010: Minnesota's Critical Decade
KFAI - 90.3FM-Minneapolis/106.7FM Saint Paul and STREAMING at KFAI.org
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 17 - 11:00AM

CENSUS 2010: Minnesota's Critical Decade
From all indications, we can't take the need for an accurate count of all
our state's residents too seriously. At stake could be the millions of
federal dollars and, ultimately, the strength of our representation in
Washington DC. An undercount could reduce the size of Minnesota's
Congressional delegation: we're on the cusp of losing one of our eight
seats in the House of Representatives if our real numbers fail to meet the
threshold - as few as 1,100 people undercounted. Many communities -
especially students and suspicious minority and immigrant communities -
are badly undercounted - and for good reason: few people trust the
government. Period.

Advocates and community representatives are scouring neighborhoods for
every person to complete the Census form when it arrives at each
household, especially in the Twin Cities where many new Americans and
minority community people may need convincing that this is an important
time to be counted. Meetings are held. Jobs offered. Speeches made. An
all-out campaign to be included.

TTT's ANDY DRISCOLL and LYNNELL MICKELSEN explore the issues and why this
decade's Census is one of the more critical in our state's history.

GUESTS:
 INVITED: KEITH ELLISON - Congressman, 5th District
 TOM GILLASPY - Minnesota State Demographer
 HANNAH GARCIA - 2010 Census Project Director, Minneapolis 2010
Census; EMAIL
 ANGELA BURKHALTER - Lead Census Executive for Saint Paul; EMAIL
 ARNETTA KABA-PHILLIPS - System Navigator, His Works United,
Stairstep Foundation

--------4 of 14--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Davidov/Masters 2.17 7pm

Marv Davidov and Carol Masters Reading: You Can't Do That

Wednesday, February 17, 7:00 p.m. Unity Church, 732 Holly Avenue, St.
Paul. Activist Marv Davidov and his biographer Carol Masters discuss his
biography, You Can't Do That: Marv Davidov, Non-Violent Revolutionary. "In
this full-length biography, we follow the career of Marv Davidov from his
years in the Army (he received an honorable discharge 'for the good of the
army'), living among the Beats on the U of M campus, participating in the
Freedom Rides that helped bring racial integration to the American South,
and on to the rallies, conferences and demonstrations in Minnesota,
serving to raise public awareness of locally-manufactured bombs and
weapons designed to kill and maim. 'I write good letters from prison,'
says Davidov, who has been arrested 50 times for acts of civil
disobedience'" - book description. Biographer Carol Masters is a long time
anti-war activist and writer and serves on the Board of WAMM. Endorsed by:
WAMM.

--------5 of 14--------

[I think every move should be made to NOT reappoint Dolan, and to back
Bicking and his vision of the CRA. -ed]

Minneapolis Chief Dolan reappointment sparks controversy at Civilian
Review Authority
By Sheila Regan
TC Daily Planet
February 15, 2010

The recent in-house hullabaloo at the Minneapolis Civilian Police Review
Authority (CRA) went to court February 12, as CRA member Dave Bicking
filed a writ of mandamus asking the court to require Minneapolis Chief
Dolan to comply with the ordinance relating to disciplining police
officers for sustained complaints made to CRA and to require CRA chair
Donald Bellfield to notify the city council that Dolan is "failing to obey
his mandate."

Two CRA seats have expired and are up for re-appointment, at the same time
that Police Chief Tim Dolan faces a reappointment vote in the city
council. CRA chair Donald Bellfield has called for CRA member Dave Bicking
to resign, because of Bicking's criticism of Dolan.

The purpose of the CRA is to investigate and makes determinations
regarding complaints brought against any Minneapolis police officer,
according to its website.  When a complaint is investigated by the CRA,
the hearing panel makes a determination whether or not to sustain the
complaint within 30 days of the hearing. If the complaint is sustained,
the matter is referred to the Chief of Police who will decide whether or
not to impose discipline. When the Chief has made his decision, he must
provide his reasons in writing to the mayor and the CRA.

In December, the CRA published a performance review of Chief Dolan
covering 2008 and the first three quarters of 2009.  According to the
report, most sustained cases that the CRA has submitted to the chief have
not led to discipline. The report states:

During the evaluation period, the CRA has received discipline decisions
from the MPD on 25 cases that were sustained. In only 3 cases (12%) was
any discipline imposed on the officers involved. 4 Some cases involve more
than one officer. Of the 37 officers who were found by the CRA to have
engaged in misconduct, 5 officers (14%)were disciplined: three received
letters of reprimand, two received oral reprimands.

The report also indicates (In Appendix B) that the CRA does not approve a
majority of the complaints.  The report's statistics show that during an
evaluation period involving 55 cases, 60% of them were not sustained by
the CRA board.

According to the Star Tribune, there was a CRA hearing on January 6 where
the group presented the 18-page performance review.  Clearly, the official
stance of the CRA is critical of Dolan, but for Chair Donald Bellfield,
Dave Bicking's statements outside the CRA have gone too far.

Dave Bicking ran for city council against Gary Schiff this fall, is a
vocal peace, justice and civil liberties advocate, but fellow CRA member
Justin Terrell said that in his work with the CRA, Bicking has adjudicated
complaints fairly and has been "very neutral." Terrell said that Bicking
is very good about approaching each CRA case "as adjudicate, not
activist."

CRA Chair Donald Bellfield asked Bicking in an email not to attend a
January 26 New Broom Coalition Forum on "Minneapolis Police Chief Dolan:
should he be reappointed?"

"Your role as a member of the CRA and as a participant in this forum may
be a violation of the CRA's mission to remain neutral," Bellfield wrote.
"This seems to be a conflict of interest and misrepresentation of the CRA
committee." Bellfield's email continued:  "If you plan to participate, you
will need to resign your membership from the CRA. Please let the Board
know your intentions."

Bicking responded to Bellfield's email with an email of his own, in which
he asked Bellfield if he would withdraw the ultimatum if Bicking promised
to represent his views at the forum as his own and not of the CRA.
Bellfield then replied to Bicking, again copying all CRA board members,
stating: "If you plan to participate, you will need to resign your
membership from the CRA."

Bellfield said in an interview that he couldn't respond to whether he
asked Bicking to resign. As far as Bicking's activism, Bellfield said:
"People can do what they want to do."

CRA member Justin Terrell said that the email Bellfield sent to Bicking
"was a personal email" and wasn't meant as an official action. "When Don
found out about the meeting," Terrell said, "he was upset because Dave
associated himself with the board. That creates a perception that we're
okay with that whatever input he has about the Chief."

On January 28, the Star Tribune published an article that quotes Bicking's
criticisms of Dolan and identifies him as a member of the CRA. Following
the publication of that article, Bellfield wrote a letter to Mayor Rybak
and the City Council with a complaint that Bicking "is featured as a
member of the CRA opposing the reappointment of Chief Dolan." Bellfield
wrote: "I am deeply disturbed at Mr. Bicking's comments and lack of
respect he is showing for the Board and staff of the CRA."

Bicking said that that at the most recent CRA board meeting on February 3,
he attempted to have emails Bellfield sent be retracted. "Those are public
documents," Bicking said. "That's public information." Bicking said that
he's aware that the expiration of his term and the fact that he is up for
re-appointment have caused controversies to heighten recently. "Even
though [Bellfield] has no authority to kick me off," Bicking said, "[The
City Council] are the ones that vote on my reappointment."

On Friday, February 12, Bicking, along with Communities United Against
Police Brutality (CUAPB) took action against Bellfield and also Chief
Dolan by filing a writ of mandamus, to "force Minneapolis police chief Tim
Dolan to discipline cases sustained by the CRA" and to force Bellfield to
file a notice to the City Council's executive committee "regarding Chief
Dolan's repeated violations of the CRA ordinance," according to a CUAPB
press release.

Bicking said that his action on Friday was as an individual, not as a
member of the CRA. Bicking said that Dolan is violating the ordinance that
compels him to discipline cases passed by the CRA. Bicking said that the
fact that Dolan is up for re-appointment is part of the reason he and
groups such as the CUAPB have been so vocal against him.

Jesse Garcia, spokesman for the Minneapolis Police, said that CUAPB and
Dave Bicking's cause "lacks credibility" and that "Chief Dolan's office is
the most stringent of any previous police chief." Garcia said that Dolan
also receives pressure from the Police Federation for being too harsh in
disciplining officers.

Copyright: 2010 Sheila Regan
Sheila Regan (sheila [at] tcdailyplanet.net) is a Minneapolis theater artist
and freelance writer.

--------6 of 14--------

Comments on the above from the Daily Planet web:

1. The Civilian Police Review
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Sun, 2010-02-14 16:24.
The Civilian Police Review Authority is a joke. What good is all the so
called "work" the board does if it has no results?  It's filled with
benchwarmers who are completely stymied into inaction by Dolan showing up
at one of their meetings and saying a few words.

2. reply  - Clarifications
Submitted by Michelle Gross, CUAPB (not verified) on Sun, 2010-02-14
23:18.

Thank you to Sheila Regan for writing this article and explaining this
complex issue well.  However, there are a few items that need
clarification.

I was a panelist at the New Broom forum at which Mr. Bicking was also a
panelist. At all times, he made it clear that he was speaking about this
own opinions and was not representing the CRA board.  Further, Steve
Brandt with the Star Tribune wrote a letter to the CRA board stating that
Mr. Bicking had made it clear during the interview that he was only giving
his personal opinion, not speaking for the board.  Community members of
boards are entitled to hold and share their personal opinions and nothing
in the CRA ordinance prohibits them from doing so or allows the chair to
demand their resignation when they do.

On the other hand, Mr. Bellfield issued a letter to the mayor, city
council members, civil rights director and others ON CRA LETTERHEAD and
represented that he was speaking for the entire board when he excoriated
Mr. Bicking.  The board had not met to approve such a letter.  Therefore,
he actually broke the rule about not representing the board without
permission - the very rule for which he incorrectly called out Mr.
Bicking.

A second item that needs clarification is the issue of Chief Dolan's
discipline of sustained CRA cases.  The chief does have the option to
decide on the level of discipline or even not to discipline.  However, he
has to make the decision within 60 days and it has to be based on the
facts as determined by the CRA.  What this chief has done is refuse to
discipline these cases, stating that he doesn't believe the CRA or that he
finds the community member not credible, etc.  These reasons for not
disciplining are violations under the law.  Further, in cases in which it
could be proven that the police officer lied to the CRA, he has failed to
take action.

When the police chief fails to follow the ordinance, a provision states
that the CRA board chair "SHALL notify the executive committee [of the
Minneapolis city council] of the chief's failure to comply."  After over 3
months of trying to get the chair to make this report, CUAPB finally
decided to take legal action to force the chair to follow the law.  We
asked Mr. Bicking to join our action.  As a CRA board member, he has a
fiduciary responsibility to ensure that the board upholds the law and
serves the community.  He is meeting this responsibility and serving the
community through this action.

As for the rest of the CRA board, they seem to feel that showing up for a
monthly meeting and sitting on an occasional hearing panel is the extent
of their responsibilities.  Not so.  The ordinance clearly intends for
them to make policy recommendations, participate in the chief.s
performance review and engage in other actions that increase police
department accountability to the community.  Despite our best efforts to
work with this board, Mr. Bellfield and some others on the board have
resisted doing what the law tells them they must.  That.s the reason we
felt compelled to go forward with this action.  No one is above the
law - including the police chief and CRA board.

--------7 of 14--------

From: Dave Bicking <dave [at] colorstudy.com>
Subject: Writ of Mandamus directs CRA Bellfield to obey law

Success in Writ of Mandamus action

News flash - much more to come later tonight when I have the documents and
the time....

Late this afternoon District Court Judge Susan Burke signed a Writ of
Mandamus directing CRA Chair Don Bellfield to obey the law - the CRA
Ordinance saying that he SHALL notify the Executive Committee of the Mpls
City Council of the failure of Police Chief Dolan to follow the section of
the CRA Ordinance regarding the issuing of discipline in sustained CRA
cases.  He must submit that notification to the Executive Committee by
10am tomorrow morning (Wednesday, Feb 17), OR appear in court to show
cause as to why he has not done so.

We couldn't have asked for anything better.

He is being served with that order tonight at his home.  It will be up to
him which course of action to choose.  If he makes the notification, it
will happen before or during the Executive Committee meeting which starts
at 9:30am.  We will be prepared for the court hearing, at which both sides
may make their case.  The court hearing is open to the public, in the
Hennepin County Government Center - check with the assignment desk if you
want to come.

This is a granting of the first half of our "Petition for Writ of
Mandamus", which is directed at Bellfield.  The second half asks the Court
to order Chief Dolan to comply with the law, or show cause at a court
hearing.  That is less urgent - though more important - and will be
decided later.  This ruling is a good sign, though.

This is a small but significant step toward restoring the authority and
purpose of the CRA.

Dave Bicking

--------8 of 14--------

From: Dave Bicking <dave [at] colorstudy.com>
Subject: Executive Committee

The reappointment of Police Chief Dolan will be considered by the Mpls
City Council's Executive Committee tomorrow morning, 9:30am.  This will
probably be a rubber stamp of the mayor's recommendation, but it shouldn't
be.

Partly in preparation for this, I watched the Executive Committee meeting
two weeks ago.  At that time they were giving similar consideration to 8
other department heads.  I got quite a surprise.

I have been meaning to report on what I heard at that meeting, but as you
all know, I have been a little distracted by another issue.  I also wanted
to follow up with Cam Gordon to get some clarification of what I heard.

That Executive Committee meeting started with a discussion of the
performance reviews of the major department heads.  I expected they would
go into closed session for that.  Instead, the mayor talked about the new
process started several years ago, called 360 degree reviews.  The term
comes from trying to get as much perspective from as many different angles
as possible, from as many as 20 external "stakeholders".

The mayor wasn't going to discuss any individual performance reviews or
ratings, but he could give a "topline" report.  In general, across all
department heads, highest ratings were in these four areas: ethics and
integrity, customer relationships, technical competence, and enthusiasm.
Lowest ratings (collectively) were in human resource development, fiscal
management and analysis, delegation of work, and communication with
subordinates.

Well, that is only moderately interesting, and hardly the kind of
information a person would need before voting on reappointments to these
positions.

So, Elizabeth Glidden, who is new to the committee (the other four have
been on it for the last four years), asks an innocent question: "It's
great that we have a standard way of measuring performance.  But how will
we know more about the department heads' performance for reappointment -
for someone like me who was not a participant in these performance
reviews?"  Thank you, Elizabeth!  I guess she "hadn't gotten the memo" -
that she and the Executive Committee are just window dressing to cover the
power of the mayor.

The City Coordinator Bosacker, the Mayor, and the City Attorney Susan
Segal started hemming and hawing and doing their little dance around the
issue.  Obviously, performance reviews are personnel data, and thus
private data under the MN Data Practices Act.  But just as obviously, that
doesn't keep them from being made available to authorized members of the
governing body, City Council.  But they really wanted to avoid saying
that.

Cam Gordon spoke up and said he has never seen an actual performance
review during his 4 years on the Executive Committee.  There was a vague
agreement to "continue to talk".

At that point, the mayor moved the issue - the sending of all 8 department
head nominations to the appropriate committees of City Council for public
hearing and a vote.  It was quickly approved unanimously.

Clearly, it is our desire that the action on Chief Dolan tomorrow morning
not be such a formality.

As I said above, I wanted to check my facts with Cam Gordon to make sure I
understood correctly, before sending out this report.  Below I have
forwarded our email exchange: my inquiry at the bottom, and his reply
above that.

For those who might wish to contact the Executive Committee, the email
addresses are:
mayor [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
barbara.johnson [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
robert.lilligren [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
cam.gordon [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us
elizabeth.glidden [at] ci.minneapolis.mn.us

I think there are plenty of reasons why Chief Dolan does not deserve
reappointment.  On top of that, there is a procedural concern:  the
Council members on the Executive Committee should refuse to act until they
have access to the Chief's performance review.  That's what I would do if
I were on that Committee.  "Uninformed consent" is no way to govern, and
no way to fulfill the responsibility of representing one's constituents!

Dave Bicking