Progressive Calendar 01.16.10
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 08:30:17 -0800 (PST)

1. MLK event        1.16 8am
2. Peace walk       1.16 9am Cambridge MN
3. Palestine        1.16 10am
4. Shoe/paint/throw 1.16 10am
5. Foreclose war    1.16 1pm
6. Health care      1.16 1pm
7. CUAPB            1.16 1:30pm
8. Northtown vigil  1.16 2pm
9. Haiti            1.16 2pm
10. Ceili/RNC8      1.16 7pm
11. McKinney/CTV    1.16 9pm

12. Nat Hentoff - George W Obama/After one year, Obama shows his true face
13. ed          - Irresistible limerick

--------1 of 13--------

From: Lydia Howell <lydiahowell [at] visi.com>
From: Minneapolis Community and Technical College
<marni.harper [at] minneapolis.edu>
Subject: MLK event 1.16 8am

MCTC's 2nd Annual Power of GIVING Day of Service
Saturday, January 16th, 2010
8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
MCTC is hosting its 2nd Annual Power of GIVING MLK Day of Service
on Saturday, January 16th, 2010, 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

This is a volunteer event where you will have the opportunity to unite and
serve in our community by working with a number of nonprofits who serve
people in need.

This year we want to double our efforts!

We're hoping to recruit 200 volunteers to serve. We would like this to be
a student, staff and faculty driven effort and we need your help. Please
sign-up and encourage your students to sign-up for this important
volunteer event.

Dr. King inspired people to think beyond themselves, embrace
differences and work toward equality.

This year, honor and celebrate the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr. by volunteering to serve.

Register online. You can also register my calling Marni Harper at
612-659-6311 or email marni.harper [at] minneapolis.edu
Thank you for your support of this important effort!

--------2 of 13--------

From: Ken Reine <reine008 [at] umn.edu>
Subject: Peace walk 1.16 9am Cambridge MN

every Saturday 9AM to 9:35AM
Peace walk in Cambridge - start at Hwy 95 and Fern Street

--------3 of 13--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Palestine 1.16 10am

DVD and Discussion: "Steadfast Hope: The Palestinian Quest for a
Just Peace"

Saturday, January 16, 9:30 a.m. (Refreshments); 10:00 a.m. (DVD and
Discussion)

Southdale Hennepin County Library, 7001 York Avenue South, Edina. View
the DVD "Steadfast Hope: The Palestinian Quest for a Just Peace," a
new educational program developed by the Israel/Palestine Mission
Network (IPMN) of the Presbyterian Church. The DVD (80 minutes) and
its accompanying 48 page booklet, completed in June 2009, are intended
to stimulate personal and group discussions of what Muslims, Jewish
and Christian groups can do to promote a just peace in Palestine.
Sponsored by: Middle East Peace Now (MEPN). The WAMM Middle East
Committee is a member of MEPN. FFI: Call Florence Steichen,
651-696-1642 or email mepn [at] mepn.org.

--------4 of 13--------

From: Rowley Clan <rowleyclan [at] EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject: Shoe/paint/throw 1.16 10am

Permitted!!  Permitted!!  Permitted!!  Permitted!!  Permitted!
January 16th- PEACE SHOE DECORATING, ADDRESSING for
January 20th -THROWING  SENDING!

As Obama's inauguration anniversary approaches, the first thing we
remember is that we were promised CHANGE.  When we originally followed
Muntazer al-Zaidi's example to "ThrowYourShoesAtTheOccupation
<http://throwyourshoesattheoccupation.com/> ," we addressed our shoes to
George Bush in Crawford (*see "Why I Threw the Shoe" pasted at very bottom
of this e-mail).  Now it's apparent we need to CHANGE the address, to
remind Obama that his one year honeymoon is officially over on January 20,
2010 so he better start making good on his promise to CHANGE by ending the
ioccupations.  You can start by saving all your old shoes right now, the
older and uglier, the better and get your pitching arm warmed up!  We'll
provide the glitter paint, sparkles and peace stickers for the shoe
decorating and addressing so they'll be all ready to throw send on Obama's
one year anniversary.

We plan to make a new "ThrowYourShoesAtTheOccupation
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4PnzRzqEMg> " inspirational video in the
process to build momentum!

It's high time to end the U.S. occupation of IraqAfPakisNam, to stop
sending U.S. weapons to Israel to use against Palestinian
<http://nigelparry.com/writing/postcards-of-hangings-gaza.shtml>
civilians, and to begin to make wise choices to invest our increasingly
precious national resources in a future of peace, not of war.  Figure in
veterans' benefits, and 50% of U.S. taxes go to war.  Decorate and send
your old shoes to Obama and other elected officials to let them know that
enough is enough. (It's even PERMITTED!  The U.S. Post Office does accept
unwrapped
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycmonkey/sets/72157615646286041/show/>
shoes that are clearly addressed.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nycmonkey/sets/72157615646286041/show/

Peace Shoe Painting-Addressing-Throwing Party, Saturday, January 16, 2010,
10 a.m.- 12 noon, Rowley House, 193 Beaumont Ct., Apple Valley, MN 55124
(for more info, call Ross # 952 465-2866)

PS:  We have put our dog busy chewing up all of our new shoes so we have
several more available for painting, addressing, if you don't have any old
shoes to bring yourself.

Why I Threw The Shoe
By Muntazer al-Zaidi
The Guardian

I am free. But my country is still a prisoner of war. There has been a lot
of talk about the action and about the person who took it, and about the
hero and the heroic act, and the symbol and the symbolic act. But, simply,
I answer: what compelled me to act is the injustice that befell my people,
and how the occupation wanted to humiliate my homeland by putting it under
its boot.

Over recent years, more than a million martyrs have fallen by the bullets
of the occupation and Iraq is now filled with more than five million
orphans, a million widows and hundreds of thousands of maimed. Many
millions are homeless inside and outside the country.

We used to be a nation in which the Arab would share with the Turkman and
the Kurd and the Assyrian and the Sabean and the Yazid his daily bread.
And the Shia would pray with the Sunni in one line. And the Muslim would
celebrate with the Christian the birthday of Christ. This despite the fact
that we shared hunger under sanctions for more than a decade.

Our patience and our solidarity did not make us forget the oppression. But
the invasion divided brother from brother, neighbour from neighbour. It
turned our homes into funeral tents.

I am not a hero. But I have a point of view. I have a stance. It
humiliated me to see my country humiliated; and to see my Baghdad burned,
my people killed. Thousands of tragic pictures remained in my head,
pushing me towards the path of confrontation. The scandal of Abu Ghraib.
The massacre of Falluja, Najaf, Haditha, Sadr City, Basra, Diyala, Mosul,
Tal Afar, and every inch of our wounded land. I travelled through my
burning land and saw with my own eyes the pain of the victims, and heard
with my own ears the screams of the orphans and the bereaved. And a
feeling of shame haunted me like an ugly name because I was powerless.

As soon as I finished my professional duties in reporting the daily
tragedies, while I washed away the remains of the debris of the ruined
Iraqi houses, or the blood that stained my clothes, I would clench my
teeth and make a pledge to our victims, a pledge of vengeance.

The opportunity came, and I took it.

I took it out of loyalty to every drop of innocent blood that has been
shed through the occupation or because of it, every scream of a bereaved
mother, every moan of an orphan, the sorrow of a rape victim, the teardrop
of an orphan.

I say to those who reproach me: do you know how many broken homes that
shoe which I threw had entered? How many times it had trodden over the
blood of innocent victims? Maybe that shoe was the appropriate response
when all values were violated.

When I threw the shoe in the face of the criminal, George Bush, I wanted
to express my rejection of his lies, his occupation of my country, my
rejection of his killing my people. My rejection of his plundering the
wealth of my country, and destroying its infrastructure. And casting out
its sons into a diaspora.

If I have wronged journalism without intention, because of the
professional embarrassment I caused the establishment, I apologise. All
that I meant to do was express with a living conscience the feelings of a
citizen who sees his homeland desecrated every day. The professionalism
mourned by some under the auspices of the occupation should not have a
voice louder than the voice of patriotism. And if patriotism needs to
speak out, then professionalism should be allied with it.

I didn't do this so my name would enter history or for material gains. All
I wanted was to defend my country.

C 2009 Guardian News and Media Limited

--------5 of 13--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Foreclose war 1.16 1pm

Martin Luther King, Jr. Event: Foreclose the War, Not People's Homes!
Saturday, January 16, 1:00 p.m. (Protest and Bannering) 38th Street and
Park Avenue South, Minneapolis. 1:45 p.m. (Program) St. Joan of Arc
Church, 4537 Third Avenue South, Minneapolis.

Speakers include: Mel Reeves, community activist; Leslie Parks,
Minneapolis resident fighting to save her home from foreclosure. As the
U.S. government spends billions for the wars and occupations in
Afghanistan and Iraq, as working and low income people are facing the
worst economic crisis in decades, millions of people are facing
foreclosure, unemployment and budget cuts, on January 16, join the protest
and public forum that will mark the Martin Luther King Jr. weekend with a
call for funds for human needs not war and occupation.

"Our only hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary
spirit and go out into a sometimes hostile world declaring our eternal
hostility to poverty, racism, and militarism. With this powerful
commitment we shall boldly challenge the status quo and unjust mores and
thereby speed the day when 'every valley shall be exalted, and every
mountain and hill shall be made low, and the crooked shall be made
straight and the rough places plain.'" - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s
speech, "A Time to Break Silence," delivered to a meeting of Clergy and
Laity Concerned on April 4, 1967, exactly one year before he was
assassinated.

Sponsored by: Iraq Peace Action Coalition (IPAC) and Minnesota Coalition
for a People's Bailout (MCPB). WAMM is a member of IPAC and MCPB. FFI:
Call Anti-War Committee, 612-379-3899; Twin Cities Peace Campaign-Focus on
Iraq, 612-522-1861; or WAMM, 612-827-5364.

--------6 of 13--------

From: Amber Garlan <agarlan [at] hammclinic.org>
Subject: Health care 1.16 1pm

Courageous Conversations on Health Care: An Educational Program and
Discussion about the Minnesota Health Plan

Saturday January 16, 2010
1:00-3:00 p.m.
Holy Nativity Lutheran Church
3900 Winnetka Ave
New Hope MN
Speakers:
Rep. Lyndon Carlson HD 45B
Rep. David Bly HD 25B
Lisa Nilles MD
Ann Settgast MD

Event Sponsors: MN Universal Health Care Coalition, Senate District 45
DFL, Physicians for a National Health Program, Mature Voices Minnesota,
Betty Folliard Residents of Senate Districts 43, 44 and 45 are especially
encouraged to attend.