Progressive Calendar 11.12.09
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:36:40 -0800 (PST)

1. LatAm/women/peace  11.12 11am
2. Nicaragua/KFAI     11.12 11am
3. MIZNA deadline!    11.12 12noon
4. Blackwell/equity   11.12 3pm
5. Jobs now           11.12 4pm
6. Immigrants/MN      11.12 4pm
7. Eagan vigil 5ann   11.12 4:30pm
8. Northtown vigil    11.12 5pm
9. Davidov/Masters    11.12 7pm
10. India             11.12 7pm

11. Crude/Ecuador/f   11.13 11am
12. Latina economy    11.13 3:30pm
13. Palestine vigil   11.13 4:15pm
14. People's bailout  11.13 4:30pm
15. Masqueraded balls 11.13 6pm
16. EXCO wellness     11.13 6pm

17. Ralph Nader     - Still waiting for health care
18. Leslie Thatcher - "Everything you thought you knew is wrong"
19. Valerio Volpi   - Health reform: another victim of US presidentialism
20. ed              - Wise saying

--------1 of 20--------

From: Stephanie Bates <Stephanie.Bates [at] americas.org>
Subject: LatAm/women/peace 11.12 11am

The Role of Women in Building Democratic Societies and a Culture of Peace
in Contemporary Latin America: Sample Cases
Thursday, November 12 11am
Hoversten Chapel Foss Center
Augsburg College

Alicia Cabezudo is professor at the School of Education at the University
of Rosario, Argentina, and the UNESCO chair on Culture of Peace and Human
Rights at the University of Buenos Aires. Her work is rooted in the
contemporary history of Latin America, and she researches and teaches in
the field of education for democracy, culture of peace, and human rights.
Her current research focus is public policies related to educational
programs for building citizenship participation and democracy as tools for
creating a culture of peace, particularly at the local level.

--------2 of 20--------

From: Write On Radio <writeonradio [at] yahoo.com>
Subject: Nicaragua/KFAI 11.12 11am

This week on Write on Radio, Masha Hamilton joins us to talk about her
fourth and latest novel, 31 Hours, recently declared an Indie Choice pick
by independent booksellers. Publisher's Weekly called the book "gorgeous
and complex." More information about it can be found at MashaHamilton.com.

Also this week, Karen Hering will be in the studio to talk about an
upcoming literary tour of Nicaragua which she will be leading. The
registration deadline for is November 24th. The tour has been scheduled to
coincide with the International Poetry Festival in the Nicaraguan city of
Granada, so participants will also take in part of that remarkable
gathering. Additional information is available on-line at
www.augsburg.edu/global/shorttermseminars/documents/10hiy-nica.pdf.

Fall Pledge Drive is over, but KFAI fell a several thousand dollars short
of its goal this year. If you meant to pledge your support but didn't
quite get around to it, you can still contact KFAI by phone or on the web
to belatedly pledge your support. To access the Rain Taxi Review of Books
Literary Events Calendar, click here.  Information about regular spoken
word and open mic venues can be found at MinnesotaMicrophone.com. For
scheduling information, contact Ian Graham Leask at LeaskIan [at] aol.com or
Lynette Reini-Grandell at Lynette.Reini-Grandell [at] normandale.edu. To
subscribe to the Write On Radio weekly e-mail newsletter for guest
information and weekly event announcements, send us your email address to
writeonradio [at] yahoo.com. Please mail review copies and press materials to
Write On Radio, KFAI, 1808 Riverside Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN, 55454.
Attn: Producer.

--------3 of 20--------

From: Mizna <mizna-announce [at] mizna.org>
Subject: MIZNA deadline! 11.12 12noon

Thursday, November 12 is the deadline for ordering your tickets to Mizna's
Ten Year Anniversary celebration.  Get your orders in by noon on Thursday.

The Depot
November 15, 2009
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Your ticket includes:

* Full catered dinner made with recipes from Mizna community members -
Nadia's Moroccan spiced chicken, Lana's Palestinian rice, Amy's Egyptian
salad, and a special dessert!

* Silent and live auction items not to be missed.  PARTIAL list found
here: http://mizna.org/articles/events/10.shtml

* Suheir Hammad accepting Mizna's First Annual Edward Said Award presented
by performer and Edward Said's daughter, Najla Said

* Special Handmade Palestinian gift souvenir of the event made for Mizna
in Bethlehem for first 200 paid guests

* Other surprises!

Go here to order your tickets: http://www.mizna.org.  Special rates
available for students and low income.  If you would like a special rate,
email us at Mizna [at] Mizna.org

--------4 of 20--------

From: joan [at] metrostability.org
Subject: Blackwell/equity 11.12 3pm

Alliance for Metropolitan Stability 2009 Regional Equity Series and
reception

If you're involved in working for racial, economic or environmental
justice, you probably already know who Angela Glover Blackwell is. As the
president and CEO of PolicyLink, Angela works to bring equity issues into
mainstream discussion every day. http://www.policylink.org

Meet Angela on November 12 at the final event in our 2009 Regional Equity
Series on Strengthening our Regional Equity Agenda.

Strengthening Our Regional Equity Movement
3- 5 pm
Thursday, November 12
Capri Theater, Minneapolis
Free event, registration required
Please register at
https://www.thedatabank.com/dpg/322/personalopt1.asp?formid=event&c=6870776

Angela will be the keynote speaker at the event, which will take a look at
how the Twin Cities can we build on our existing strengths and networks to
place racial justice and equity issues at the center of regional
priorities.

A local panel will discuss the trends emerging in the Twin Cities that
will contribute to -- as well as those that are barriers to -- a stronger
regional equity movement. Panelists will include State Representative Jeff
Hayden, Andriana Abariotes of Local Initiatives Support Corporation, Louis
King of Summit Academy OIC and Ed Goetz of the Center for Urban and
Regional Affairs.

There will also be time to meet and greet Angela at the Alliance's 15th
anniversary reception and in/stability photo exhibit immediately following
the afternoon event. Stick around for good food, drinks, conversation and
community art!

Both of these events are free, but an RSVP is required.
Joan Vanhala
Phillips, Minneapolis
Info about Joan Vanhala: http://forums.e-democracy.org/p/2tjdbtjS2TMoWBmnWj8CT9

--------5 of 20--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: Jobs now 11.12 4pm

November 12:  JOBS NOW Coalition, LISC Twin Cities, Project for Pride in
Living, and Affirmative Options Coalition Forum: The Jobless
Pandemic-Prescription for Cure. 4 - 6:30 PM at the Zurah Shrine Event
Center, 2540 Park Avenue So., Minneapolis. RSVP.

--------6 of 20--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Immigrants/MN 11.12 4pm

Panel on the Economic Impact of Immigrants in Minnesota
Thursday November 12, 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. University of Minnesota, Hubert H.
Humphrey Institute, Cowles Auditorium, 301 19th Avenue South, Minneapolis.

Speakers include: Brian Atwood, Dean, Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of
Public Affairs; Ana Luisa Fajer Flores, Consul of Mexico in Minnesota;
Bill Blazar, Senior Vice President, Business Development and Public
Affairs, Minnesota Chamber of Commerce; Rodolfo Gutierrez, Executive
Director HACER on "The Need for Credible Research on Immigrants;" Tom
Gillaspy, Minnesota State Demographer on "The Aging of Minnesotans;"
Katherine Fennelly , Professor, Humphrey Institute "The Economic Impacts
of Immigrants in Minnesota;" Raymond Robertson, Macalester College on "Do
Mexican Workers Compete With or Complement US Workers?"

Endorsed by: the WAMM Immigration Committee. FFI and/or to join the WAMM
Immigration Committee: Email r.grengs [at] comcast.net .

--------7 of 20--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Eagan vigil 5anniv 11.12 4:30pm

5th Anniversary of Eagan Peace Vigil: Speak Out for Peace!

Thursday, November 12, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Intersection of Pilot Knob and
Yankee Doodle Roads (across from Lockheed Martin), Eagan. (Park behind
SuperAmerica or in the lot by El Loro restaurant, one block west of
intersection.) Join others at the 5th anniversary of the Eagan peace vigil
followed by dinner at a place yet to be determined. Endorsed by: WAMM.
FFI: Call Sue, 651-208-3764.

--------8 of 20--------

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 11.12 5pm

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Davidov/Masters 11.12 7pm

Marv Davidov and Carol Masters Publication Party and Reading: You Can't Do
That

Thursday, November 12, 7:00 p.m. St. Martin's Table, 2001 Riverside
Avenue, Minneapolis. Activist Marv Davidov and his biographer Carol
Masters discuss his biography,

You Can't Do That: Marv Davidov, Non-Violent Revolutionary. "In this
full-length biography, we follow the career of Marv Davidov from his
years in the Army (he received an honorable discharge 'for the good of
the army'), living among the Beats on the U of M campus, participating
in the Freedom Rides that helped bring racial integration to the
American South, and on to the rallies, conferences and demonstrations
in Minnesota, serving to raise public awareness of locally-
manufactured bombs and weapons designed to kill and maim. 'I write
good letters from prison,' says Davidov, who has been arrested 50
times for acts of civil disobedience'" - book description.

Biographer Carol Masters is a long time anti-war activist and writer and
serves on the Board of WAMM. Refreshment will be available. Endorsed by:
WAMM.

--------10 of 20--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: India 11.12 7pm

Dr. Robert Carman and Lucile Carman will speak on "India and Global
Issues" on Thursday November 12th in a program sponsored by Northwest
Neighbors for Peace.  This presentation will begin at 7 PM at Spirit of
Hope Methodist Church, 7600 Harold Avenue, Golden Valley (near Winnetka
Avenue and Hwy. 55).

Both Carmans served for 30 years at the interdenominational and
international Christian Medical College and Hospital in Vellore, one of
the premier medical institutions in Asia. Dr. Carman, who was born in
India, was Head of the Department of Clinical Pathology and a Professor of
Pathology; Lu was a librarian and assisted in many departments. Family
members continue to reside in India and the Carmans visit there
frequently.

They will speak about their lengthy involvement there and discuss India's
relationship with Pakistan, the unrest in South-Central Asia, world
health, climate change, human rights, and any other issues raised by the
audience. This program is free and open to the public; for more
information contact Carole Rydberg, 763-546-5368.

--------11 of 20--------

From: Lydia Howell <lydiahowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Crude/Ecuador/f 11.13 11am

FRIDAY, Nov. 13, 11am, tune in to KFAI's "CATALYST:politics & culture" for
a conversation with director JOE BERLINGER as he talks about CRUDE the
film he was "dragged kicking and screaing" into making. Going into the
rainforest of Ecuador, see the environemntal devastation and human rights
violation of Indigenous people due to oil drilling by Texaco-Chevron. Told
from multiple points-of-view, Berllinger excavates more than the "David
and Goliath" law suite now in progress for 17 years, but, digs into the
moral center of our times. Haunting images and sharp questions about the
roles of celebrity and an inadequate justice system address multinational
crimes against multiple generations and entire peoples.The film screens
one week only Nov. 12-20 at the Lagoon Cinema, on Lagoon, one block east
of Hennepin, uptown Minneapolis. http://www.landmarkcinema.com

PROGRAM CHANGE: WOMEN VETERANS will be briefly begun NOV.13, with a full
program next Friday, NOV.20, 11am with HELEN BENEDICT talking about the
experience of women soldiers, from her book THE LONELY SOLDIER.

--------12 of 20--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: Latina economy 11.13 3:30pm

November 13:  First Latina Economic Forum, 3:30 to 8:00 PM at the
Ameriprise Financial Client Service Center, downtown Minneapolis,
convened by the Association of Latina Women of Minnesota.  Keynote by
Cristina Lopez, president of the National Hispana Leadership Institute,
breakout sessions on the economic status of Minnesota Latinas, networking
and music by Alma Andina, and dinner.  $25 suggested donation. More info
at EqualityQuilt.

--------13 of 20--------

From: Eric Angell <eric-angell [at] riseup.net>
Subject: Palestine vigil 11.13 4:15pm

The weekly vigil for the liberation of Palestine continues at the
intersection of Snelling and Summit Aves in St. Paul. The Friday demo
starts at 4:15 and ends around 5:30. There are usually extra signs
available.

--------14 of 20--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: People's bailout 11.13 4:30pm

Facing Foreclosure, the Parks family vows to fight back, demands justice
from IndyMac Federal Bank

On Friday, Nov. 13, 4:30 p.m., Leslie Parks, the Minnesota Coalition for a
People's Bailout and the Poor Peoples Economic Human Rights Campaign will
join forces again in the battle against foreclosures and evictions. Leslie
Parks, who is facing foreclosure, had made it clear that she will not be
put on the streets. The effort to keep the home in the Parks family will
be kicked off with a press conference and rally at their home, 3749 Park
Avenue in south Minneapolis.

"IndyMac Federal Bank needs to come to the table and give my family
justice. I have no intention of walking away from the place I call home,"
states Leslie Parks.

Among the speakers at the rally and press conference will be Rosemary
Williams, along with leaders of the Poor Peoples Economic Human Rights
Campaign and the Minnesota Coalition for a People's Bailout.

The Parks case is a prime example of how this foreclosure crisis is
tearing apart the fabric of our communities. Tecora Parks, Leslie's
mother, owns the duplex where Leslie lives. After city-ordered window-
upgrades, Tecora Parks was swindled into getting an ARM. The man who sold
her the ARM lied and insisted it was a conventional loan. It is important
to note that Tecora Parks had perfect credit and qualified for a
conventional loan hands down. But she was lied to, got swindled into an
ARM, lost her good credit and went into foreclosure.

"We are demanding that IndyMac Federal Bank come to the table and reach a
just settlement with the Parks family, that keeps them in their home,"
said Lynnette Malles of the Poor Peoples Economic Human Rights Campaign.

"The redemption period ends Nov. 30. Similar to Rosemary Williams, Leslie
Parks is determined to fight back against the greedy, swindling banks. The
directors of IndyMac are not facing homelessness, but their greed caused
the homelessness of thousands," said Linden Gawboy of the Minnesota
Coalition for a People's Bailout.

[The spiritual redemption period for banksters ended long ago; we know
where they will spend eternity. -ed]