Progressive Calendar 10.31.09
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 03:54:21 -0700 (PDT)

1. Nonviolence       10.31 9am
2. Peace walk        10.31 9am Cambridge MN
3. Single-payer      10.31 10am Rochester MN
4. Arise brunch      10.31 10am
5. Divest Israel     10.31 10am
6. M Katch lit drop  10.31 10:30am
7. Anti-rape action  10.31 1pm
8. CUAPB             10.31 1:30pm
9. Northtown vigil   10.31 2pm

10. Stillwater vigil 11.01 1pm
11. ImmigrationVigil 11.01 2:30pm
12. RCV in Mpls      11.01 3pm
13. Samhain          11.01 5pm
14. CUAPB dinner     11.01 5:30pm

15. John Kolstad   - More with less/campaign finance/vote for mayor
16. Michelle Gross - Worst chief ever: Rybak pushes Dolan for another term
17. Charles Marowitz - Michael Moore's Capitalism: A Love Story
18. Frank Smecker  - Derrick Jensen interviewed on science and technology
19. ed             - The BSR  (haiku)
20. ed             - Bumpersticker

--------1 of 20--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Nonviolence 10.31 9am

A Conference on Christian Nonviolence: Ways of Peace I

Saturday, October 31, 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. United Theological Seminary
of the Twin Cities, 3000 5th Street Northwest, New Brighton. Speakers
include: Rita Nakashima Brock, William T. Cavanaugh, Kathy Kelly, Gerald
Schlabach, Christine M. Smith, and Walter Wink. Tickets: $10.00. Sponsored
by: Friends for a Nonviolent World (FNVW). Endorsed by: WAMM. FFI: Call
651-917-0383 or visit info [at] fnvw.org.

--------2 of 20--------

From: Ken Reine <reine008 [at] umn.edu>
Subject: Peace walk 10.31 9am Cambridge MN

every Saturday 9AM to 9:35AM
Peace walk in Cambridge - start at Hwy 95 and Fern Street

--------3 of 20--------

From: Zack Farley <zack [at] muhcc.org>
Subject: Single-payer/health 10.31 10am Rochester MN

The MN Universal Health Care Coalition still has space available for its
upcoming organizing and advocacy workshop on Single-Payer health care and
the MN Health Plan.

Register TODAY if you are interested in learning more about the
legislation and how you can become an effective advocate on this issue!

VISIT THIS LINK TO REGISTER (*PRE-REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED):
http://www.muhcc.org/upcomingevents/rochester-training

***For those already registered for this event, thank you again and we
look forward to seeing you on Oct. 31!

EVENT DETAILS:
Saturday, October 31, 2009
10:00  a.m. - 3:00 p.m. (lunch provided)
Rochester Senior Center, 121 Broadway Ave N., Rochester, MN 55906

SPEAKERS WILL INCLUDE:
~Rep. David Bly (25B), Chief House Author of the Minnesota Health Act,
Rep. Tina Liebling (30A), Co-Author, and a Panel of Physicians

WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
~What is single-payer & why is it a good solution to our health care mess?
~What is the Minnesota Health Plan and how will it work?
~What are the prospects for the MHP this legislative session?
~How do I effectively engage my legislators?
~What is effective organizing and advocacy for health care?
~What steps can I take to promote the MHP?

SPONSORED BY:
~Minnesota Universal Health Care Coalition - http://www.muhcc.org
~TakeAction Minnesota -
http://www.takeactionminnesota.org

TO REGISTER, VISIT:
http://www.muhcc.org/upcomingevents/rochester-training

*Suggested Donation $20 ~ No One Turned Away for Inablility to Pay
*Open to All ~ Lunch and Materials Included

For more information or questions, contact: info [at] muhcc.org or 651-641-4073
Thank you for your support!

Zack Farley (612) 226-5469 MN Universal Health Care Coalition
http://www.muhcc.org/

--------4 of 20--------

From: Meredith Aby <awcmere [at] GMAIL.COM>
Subject: Arise benefit brunch 10.31 10am

Arise! Benefit Halloween Brunch
Sat, Oct. 31 from 10am-2pm@ Walker Church, 3104 16th Ave S, Mpls

$5-10 sliding scale, no one turned away for lack of funds!  Times are hard
and we need your help to stay open!  Keep your favorite radical bookstore
open. Eat vegan pancakes and other delectable things. Check out new books,
zines and other neat stuff. C'mon, you know you want to.  And don't miss
the debut of "Recipes for Radicals," the new Arise! cookbook for making
change, trouble, and dinner!
http://www.arisebookstore.org/halloween-benefit-brunch-help-us-stay-open

--------5 of 20--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Divest Israel 10.31 10am

Update on the Growing Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) Movement: A
Talk by Amber Michel
Saturday, October 31, 9:30 a.m. (Refreshments); 10:00 a.m. (Presentation
and Discussion) Southdale Hennepin County Library, 7001 York Avenue South,
Edina.

Amber Michel is the Central Minnesota Regional Organizer for a state-wide
campaign working for divestment, boycott and sanctions to end the illegal
occupation of Palestine. In August of 2009 she traveled through the West
Bank and Israel, meeting with various organizations working to end the
occupation. Amber will present the history of BDS as well as opportunities
to get involved and make change. Sponsored by: Middle East Peace Now
(MEPN). WAMM is a member of MEPN. FFI: Call 651-696-1642 or email
mepn [at] mepn.org.

--------6 of 20--------

From: Kaylea Crawford <klc [at] mngop.com>
Subject: Michael Katch lit drop 10.31 10:30am

This weekend we will be helping Michael Katch hit some of the apartment
buildings downtown - this will make lit dropping quick and easy and we
won't have to deal with the chilly weather.

Details:
Michael Katch Lit Drop [Ward 7 city council]
Meet at Minneapolis HQ - 800 N. 3rd St. Minneapolis, MN
10:30 AM on October 31, 2009 (Saturday)

--------7 of 20--------

From: DeniseCBreton [at] aol.com
Subject: Anti-rape action 10.31 1pm

I just got this from Janice Bad Moccasin.  At least 15 Native girls and
women from ages 9 - 40 have been brutally raped recently in the Franklin
area.

If they had been white women, I can only imagine the hue and cry that
would have gone up, but that has not happened ...

Janice and Dr. Tony Stately are organizing an emergency meeting tomorrow.
They need help from all sectors of the community.  And it would be good to
bring food.  As you see from the flyer, the meeting is Saturday, October
31 at 1:00 PM at All Nation's Church, 1515 East 23rd St., Minneapolis.