Oct. 22-26: RAN Film Screenings, Orangutan Actions, and much more!
From: Hillary Lehr (hillaryran.org)
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 11:04:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Twin Cities!

Thanks to all of the amazing folks who attended Matilda Pilacapio's
powerful events just a couple weeks ago. It was great to meet you and
share your concern and inspiration around stopping rainforest
destruction. One of the outcomes of Matilda's visit was the
establishment of a local Rainforest Action Network-Twin Cities chapter!
We are working together to plan several exciting upcoming events. We
would love to see you and hope you will bring a friend! Please help us
spread the word:

Please save the dates to join us Oct. 22-26 for a week of action!

-Thursday Oct. 22: Film screening: Green: 7-9pm. U of MN campus *More
info below*

-Monday Oct. 26: RAN Orangutan Action: Cargill Stop Foreclosing my
Rainforests! noon, Downtown Minneapolis

And you can visit RAN at the following exciting weekend events:

-Saturday Oct. 24: 350.org Day of Action: State Capitol Steps. noon St.
Paul

-Saturday and Sunday Oct. 24-25 Bioneers Conference: Visit our Table.
Willey Hall, U of MN campus. 9-5pm

We hope to see you again at these events to continue to build momentum
for our new local chapter to effectively pressure Cargill to stop
clearing rainforest for oil palm... we'll need your help!

Join RAN-TC's facebook and Meet-Up pages to plug in, RSVP, and stay in
the loop!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=171114766350

http://www.meetup.com/RANTwinCities/
<http://www.meetup.com/RANTwinCities/>

If you'd like to get more involved, call hillary [at] ran.org
<mailto:hillary [at] ran.org>  at (415) 283-9503 or email
maia.dedrick [at] gmail.com <mailto:maia.dedrick [at] gmail.com> .

--------------

More info:

Green, an award-winning documentary. Directed by Patrick Rouxel

Green tells a moving story about the corporate conversion of rainforests
in Indonesia for palm oil, tropical wood and paper through the eyes of
one of the industry's victims - a dying orangutan. As you may already
know, almost 90% of orangutan habitat has already disappeared. If
current trends of deforestation continue, the orangutan could be extinct
in the near future. Both of RAN's Forest campaigns are focusing on
issues shown in this film - deforestation, pulp and paper and oil palm
plantations.

Q&A to follow the film, Refreshments Provided

Co-sponsored by Rainforest Action Network- Twin Cities, Green Biz, &
EcoWatch

Please come see this important film with other local organizers and
concerned citizens to learn more about how to get involved with
Rainforest Action Network in the Twin Cities to stop Cargill from
destroying rainforests to grow palm oil.

Confirmed University of Minnesota location will be posted at
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/event.php?eid=153648082567. Please
RSVP if you are on facebook. More links are on this site as well!

More details about these upcoming events Oct. 24-26:

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~ACTION ALERT-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

TELL CARGILL TO STOP FORECLOSING MY RAINFOREST!!!

Monday, October 26 9am

Downtown Minneapolis

Join 6 Rainforest Action Network orangutans (in costume) at Cargill's
downtown Minneapolis office to tell Cargill to STOP destroying
rainforests for palm oil! WE NEED PEOPLE TO HOLD SIGNS AND BANNERS!

This is a great, easy way to act locally to impact globally! Bring a
friend! Want to be an orangutan?? Call hillary [at] ran.org
<mailto:hillary [at] ran.org>  at (415) 283-9503 for more info.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

350.org GLOBAL DAY OF ACTION!

Saturday, Oct. 24

Capitol Steps

St. Paul

12 noon

Join activists at the St. Paul Capitol steps at noon to be part of
actions around the world that call attention to the need for a fair,
just, and comprehensive response to climate change NOW!

Did you know that rainforest destruction is responsible for 20% of
greenhouse gas emissions?! An easy way to have a big impact on curbing
climate change is by curbing Cargill's destruction of our vital
rainforests.

Bike MN 350 participants willl visit organizations, farms, and
businesses around Minnesota to discuss climate change and the importance
of upcoming federal legislation and the U.N. conference on climate
change in Copenhagen this December. The ride will culminate with a bike
rally calling for action on climate change at the State Capitol at noon
on October 24. This rally will feature federal and state legislators as
well as youth leaders and representatives from the sponsoring
organizations.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Bioneers Conference!

Oct. 24-25

University of Minnesota, Willey Hall

"Connect, Learn, Focus, Shift"

Come meet leaders from various organizations and experiences to discuss
how to inspire individuals to utilize natural systems in developing and
restoring our communities.

Stop by and visit the Rainforest Action Network's table if you'd like to
learn more about our Rainforest Ag campaign targeting Cargill for
rainforest destruction for palm oil and to adopt a comprehensive global
forest policy!! We'd love to meet you!

See you then,

Hillary V Lehr

Grassroots Action Manager - Forests Program

Rainforest Action Network

phone 415.659.0550

cell 415.283.9503

Hillary [at] ran.org