Meeting recap and upcoming events
From: Oxfam Action Corps - MN (minnesotaoxfamactioncorps.org)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 17:23:19 -0700 (PDT)
Hi everyone!

Thanks to all of you who attended the Oxfam Action Corps-MN monthly meeting!
 For those of you who were unable to attend, we gave new volunteers a little
introduction to what Oxfam is all about and what we do locally.  We also
talked about how climate change affects poor communities around the world
and the important legislation that could help alleviate their suffering.
 The American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 (ACES) is currently
being discussed in the US Senate and we at Oxfam MN are doing what we can to
influence that legislation.

*Outreach and Lobbying*
Through our presence this week at The Fray concert and Mill City Market,
Oxfam Action Corps-MN volunteers had great conversations with 45 people who
also signed the petition to Congress with the message, “Tackle climate
change and its impact on the poor!”  At our monthly meeting we were able to
write 12 letters to Senator Klobuchar urging her to support comprehensive
climate change legislation, and signed thank you cards for the five US House
members who voted for ACES.
We are also going to be setting up lobby visits with our Senators’ offices
and need your participation!  While Senator Franken doesn’t have an official
Twin Cities office just yet, his staff will be holding office hours as
listed below.  This is a great opportunity to introduce ourselves to our new
senator and deliver our message!

Please let us know if you are available for any of the following:

July 28
8:00AM - 10:00AM  Council Chamber, City Hall, 1 City Hall Plaza, Chaska
9:00AM - 11:00AM  City Offices, conference room 2, 333 SW 6th Street,
Willmar
9:30AM - 11:30AM  Rm106A, City Hall, 411 West 1st St, Duluth
10:30AM - 12:30PM  Council Chamber, City Hall, 129 Holmes Street South,
Shakopee

July 29
9:00AM - 11:00AM  Sanctuary Room, City Hall, 10801 Town Square Drive NE,
Blaine
12:30PM - 2:30PM  Council Chambers, City Hall, 6431 University Ave NE,
Fridley

July 30
8:00AM - 10:00AM  Corcoran Neighborhood Assoc., 3451 Cedar Ave. S,
Minneapolis
8:00AM - 10:00AM  Council Chambers, City Hall, 4701 Highway 61, White Bear
Lake
10:30AM - 12:30PM  Sun Ray Library, 2105 Wilson Ave., St. Paul
11:00AM - 1:00PM Capri Theatre, 2027 West Broadway, Minneapolis
1:00PM - 2:30PM  Merriam Park Library, 1831 Marshall Ave., St. Paul
2:00PM - 4:00PM  Linden Hills Library, 2900 W 43rd St, Minneapolis
3:00PM - 4:30PM  Rondo Community Outreach Library, 461 North Dale Street,
St. Paul
5:00PM – 6:30 PM Northeast Library, 220 Central Ave. NE, Minneapolis

*State Fair*
Peace Coffee has extended us a terrific opportunity to table at the State
Fair if we provide volunteers to serve coffee samples and encourage
fair-goers to pedal the bike grinder.  In exchange, we will be able to
distribute materials on Oxfam’s “Make Trade Fair” campaign and talk to
people about the good work we do.  This is an amazing opportunity to reach a
high concentration of people we otherwise wouldn’t be able to.  So we need
your help!

Volunteers are needed everyday at the State Fair starting Friday, August 28
through Monday, September 7.  There will be 3 shifts per day:
   Shift A: 8:30am – 12:30pm
   Shift B: 12:30pm – 4:30pm
   Shift C: 4:30pm – 9:00pm

In addition to receiving a Peace Coffee t-shirt for working a shift, Peace
Coffee pays for your entrance to the fair, so you are free to explore before
or after your shift!  Contact Angelica for more info and to sign up for a
shift: angelica [at] peacecoffee.com
*
*
*
*
*1Sky Training*
This is a last minute notice, but we wanted to make sure you knew about the
following opportunity:

   1Sky is an ally of Oxfam’s (we’re on their steering committee) and a
major player in grassroots climate change movement (from enviro perspective,
largely).  They’re teaming up with Wellstone Action to     give this
training.  You would be responsible for all costs.  Be sure to register if
you want to attend, and let us know as well.
https://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5075/t/4153/l/eng/p/salsa/event/common/public/?event_KEY=7529

That’s it for now!  Stay tuned for more updates and opportunities to be
involved.

Thanks for all the good work you do!

Sincerely,
Volunteers at Oxfam Action Corps-MN