Progressive Calendar 06.21.09
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 14:40:25 -0700 (PDT)

1. Uptown market    6.21 11am
2. Stillwater vigil 6.21 1pm
3. Bicking campaign 6.21 6:30pm
4. Arise/film       6.21 8pm

5. Vs burner        6.22 4:30pm
6. Peace walk       6.22 6pm RiverFalls WI
7. Edgertonite      6.22 7pm
8. Pig pic/film     6.22 7pm

9. Amnesty Intl     - Health care is a human right
10. Michael Parenti - North Korea: "sanity" at the brink
11. Tom Burghardt   - Pentagon rebrands protest as "low-level terrorism"
12. David Shove     - New Broom grades Mpls City Council 13

--------1 of 12--------

From: TCDP editor <editor [at] tcdailyplanet.net>
Subject: Uptown market 6.21 11am

Uptown Market opens June 21
http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/node/23143
by staff, Uptown Neighborhood News

The great convergence of artists and farmers is coming to Uptown. June 21
marks the opening bell on the Uptown Market, an array of locally produced
art and produce for the Uptown community to indulge their aesthetic and
green sensibilities. The market hours will be 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and the
location is on 29th Street, between Lyndale Avenue and Dupont Avenue -
convenient for bus, walk and bike transportation.

--------2 of 12--------

From: scot b <earthmannow [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Stillwater vigil 6.21 1pm

[For less information you could erase random parts of this message]

--------3 of 12--------

From: Dave Bicking <dave [at] colorstudy.com>
Subject: Bicking campaign 6.21 6:30pm

Dave Bicking for City Council campaign meeting:

Sunday, June 21, 6:30pm
Dave's house:  3211 22nd Ave. S. (lower duplex), Minneapolis
(Directions: Just over two blocks south of Lake St. on 22nd Ave.  22nd
Avenue is just west of the Lake Street stop of the Hiawatha LRT.  There is
also good bus service along Lake St.)

We'll be working on final edits for a campaign literature piece, content
for the website, graphic design, door knocking plans, and more.

Campaign news:

On Saturday morning a week ago, I participated in a march and rally
against foreclosures and evictions.  I had a chance to speak in front of
US Bank on Lake St..  Terry Yzaguirre of the Mpls Mirror was so kind as to
post my entire speech on her website.  You can read about the rally, and
read my speech at: http://tinyurl.com/nfygq9

I have been meeting candidates in other wards.  It is encouraging that
candidates are emerging in many other wards in opposition to the
incumbents and in opposition to the status quo in this city.  Many of us
met together yesterday.  We have many common issues, and I am hopeful that
our individual campaigns will become part of a larger movement for change
in Minneapolis.  These candidates are Green, DFL, independent, and even
Republican (note that these are of the libertarian, Ron Paul wing -
compatible on some issues of fiscal responsibility, opposition to
government repression, etc.)

I am involved in the campaign to stop the Xcel 115kV powerlines through
the Phillips neighborhood, the plan to expand output at the downtown
garbage burner, the opposition to a publicly funded Vikings stadium, and
fight to save the Minneapolis Civil Rights Department.  If you can help
with any of these, please contact me.

And if you can help with the campaign, please contact me, or come to the
meeting tonight!!
For a more fair and compassionate city, Dave Bicking 612-276-1213

--------4 of 12--------

From: Amanda Luker <amanda [at] pinkslipmedia.org>
Subject: Arise/film 6.21 8pm

In an annual tradition, Arise! Bookstore will be hosting a series of free
weekly events throughout the summer, each with a different theme
reflecting the diverse interests of volunteers at the collectively run
bookstore. The events will take place each Sunday night at 8pm, opening
with a speaker or performance, and ending with the screening of a film
after sundown.

June 21
FILM Basket Case - A young man carrying a big basket that contains his
deformed Siamese-twin brother seeks vengeance on the doctors who separated
them against their will.

Arise! Bookstore 2441 Lyndale Ave. S. Minneapolis, MN 55406

--------5 of 12--------

>From CamGordon333 [at] msn.com Sun Jun 21 12:49:26 2009
Subject: Vs burner 6.22 4:30pm

Neighborhoods Unite: Stop the HERC Expansion !
Please attend the Mpls. Planning Commission Meeting:
THIS MONDAY, JUNE 22 at 4:30 p.m. (Mpls. City Hall, room 317)

"Large studies have shown higher rates of adult and childhood cancer and
also birth defects around municipal waste incinerators." *
Hennepin County and Covanta want to increase the amount of garbage burned
at HERC (Hennepin County Recovery Center) by up to 20%. They say this is the
only way to solve our trash and energy problem. They call it Waste-to-Energy.

We call it greenwashing.
Burning garbage is the burning of fossil fuels (plastics), heavy metals and
toxic
substances. It doesn't promote a truly sustainable society of responsible
consumers - businesses and cities that work towards increased recycling,
composting and truly renewable energy solutions like solar, wind and anaerobic
digestion.

Communities already said no to incineration at Rock Tenn and Midtown! Just
last year, a garbage burner was stopped from being built at the Rock Tenn
plant in St. Paul. Through a community process we were able to find a
truly renewable and sustainable solution: Anaerobic Digestion. In the
Midtown community of Minneapolis, a united front of citizens' groups
defeated a proposal to build an "Eco Energy Wood Burner" that would have
been a serious threat to the health of our communities.

There is no safe level of dioxin and other toxic substances
"Present safety measures are designed to avoid acute toxic effects in the
immediate neighborhoods, but ignore the fact that many of the pollutants
bio-accumulate, enter the food chain, and can cause chronic illnesses over
time and over a much wider geographical area." *

Burning it doesn't mean we don't have to landfill it
"Incinerators produce bottom and fly ash which amount up to 30% by weight
of the original waste (if compacted), and require transportation to
landfill sites." *

We support these zero waste and energy solutions:
Citywide composting, Anaerobic Digestion, Increased recycling, Smart and
responsible consumer packaging, Solar Power, Wind Power

For More information, and to send an email opposing HERC expansion, visit:
www.neighborsagainstheburner.org
At the site, go to our page titled "HERC", for more information.
Then, please go to the "contact" section and e-mail your letter of
opposition. We will give all letters to the Planning Commission.

There is a wealth of information throughout the site. We have compiled
expert research, opinion, data and analysis on the dangers of burning
garbage and why it's not a solution to our waste or energy problems - but
it is a DANGER TO OUR HEALTH, OUR FAMILIES AND OUR COMMUNITIES!

*Data from "The Health Effects of Waste Incinerators" 4th Report of the
British Society for Ecological Medicine, 2nd Edition, June 2008

This message co-sponsored by the anti-HERC Coalition, including Minneapolis
Neighbors for Clean Air , Neighbors Against the Burner, et al

[Who wants to burn more? The rich people that own or benefit from the
burner. Only, far far away from where THEY live. Let the poor prople
sicken and die; that's free enterprise. Let's burn mountains of toxic
trash on their mansion estates and see how they like it.  Of course the
cops would be there yesterday, and the courts the day before yesterday,
because everyone knows the rich are privileged and we aren't.
Endemically corrupt city and state government know it, and help it along
every chance they get. If citizens want something better they will have to
work for it all the time, combatting the never-sleeping rich and their
sleazy henchturds. Kapitalism Kills. -ed]

--------6 of 12--------

From: Nancy Holden <d.n.holden [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Peace walk 6.22 6pm RiverFalls WI

River Falls Peace and Justice Walkers. We meet every Monday from 6-7 pm on
the UWRF campus at Cascade Ave. and 2nd Street, immediately across from
"Journey" House. We walk through the downtown of River Falls. Contact:
d.n.holden [at] comcast.net. Douglas H Holden 1004 Morgan Road River Falls,
Wisconsin 54022

--------7 of 12--------

From: jwilson [at] enp-news.org
Subject: Edgertonite 6.22 7pm

Edgertonite National Party meeting
Monday, 22 June 2009 @ 7:00 PM
Blue Moon coffee shop, 3822 E. Lake St., Minneapolis, MN
More info: jwilson [at] enp-news.org or http://www.enp-news.org

--------8 of 12--------

From: Christine Frank <christinefrank [at] visi.com>
Subject: Pig pic/film 6.22 7pm

THE NEXT 3CTC ENVIRONMENTAL FORUM
A FREE SCREENING OF: THE PIG PICTURE

There will be a free screening of The Pig Picture, a film on concentrated
animal feeding operations (CAFOs) in the pork industry.  The documentary
is produced by the Humane Farming Association's (HFA) Campaign Against
Factory Farming.  The film is a must see for those concerned about the
immense cruelty of confinement experienced not only by pigs but also by
millions of factory-farmed beef cattle, dairy cows and poultry, the spread
of deadly pathogens such as swine and avian flu viruses, the creation of
antibiotic-resistant superbugs, the obesity and diabetes epidemics from
consuming cheap meat full of antibiotics and growth hormones, the tons of
global-warming methane gas spewed into the atmosphere from vast manure
lagoons and flatulent ruminants, the nitrogen overloading from the lagoons
that contribute to hypoxic Dead Zones in the ocean, the toxic algal blooms
that come from the same nutrient overloading, the human health problems
from breathing air and drinking water contaminated by the seepage and
flooding from manure lagoons, the huge amounts of pesticides used in CAFOs
and the power and political corruption of giant agribusiness concerns that
torment helpless creatures for profit, pollute our ecosystems, destroy the
health of millions and cause planetary meltdown.

The film showing will take place on Monday, June 22nd at 7:00 PM at Mayday
Books, 301 Cedar Avenue South on the West Bank in Minneapolis.  The
program is sponsored by the Climate Crisis Coalition of the Twin Cities
(3CTC).  It is free and open to the public.  The Clean-Energy Vigil to
Cool Down the Planet will take place on the plaza outside the bookstore
(Weather permitting) at 5:00 PM, followed by the 3CTC Business Meeting at
6:00 PM. All are welcome.  For more information, EMAIL:
christinefrank [at] visi.com or PHONE:  612-879-8937.