Progressive Calendar 06.15.09
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:53:29 -0700 (PDT)

1. Peace walk        6.15 6pm RiverFalls WI
2. Cops/fed control  6.15 6pm
3. Shatila/film      6.15 6:30pm
4. Oxfam Action      6.15 7pm
5. Soldiers/peace    6.15 7:30pm

6. Rosemary Williams 6.16 12:30pm
7. NWN4P vigil       6.16 4:45pm
8. Palestine/CTV     6.16 5pm
9. RNC court watch   6.16 6pm
10. O/foreign policy 6.16 6pm
11. Salon evaluation 6.16 6:30pm
12. Short films      6.16 7:30pm
13. Movies in park   6.16 9pm
14. Banks/Frontline  6.16 9pm

15. Felice Pace    - Why NPR refuses to report on single payer movement
16. Kevin Zeese    - Congress & the health business profit not life lobby
17. Dave Lindorff  - Obama blows chance for real health care reform
18. Susan Abulhawa - Does Israel really have a right to exist?
19. Heather Gray   - Southern ruling class greed during the Civil War

-------1 of 19--------

From: Nancy Holden <d.n.holden [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Peace walk 6.15 6pm RiverFalls WI

River Falls Peace and Justice Walkers. We meet every Monday from 6-7 pm on
the UWRF campus at Cascade Ave. and 2nd Street, immediately across from
"Journey" House. We walk through the downtown of River Falls. Contact:
d.n.holden [at] comcast.net. Douglas H Holden 1004 Morgan Road River Falls,
Wisconsin 54022

--------2 of 19--------

From: Michelle Gross <mgresist [at] visi.com>
Subject: Cops/fed control 6.15 6pm

Public Hearing on Brutality and Misconduct by Minneapolis Police
Monday, June 15  6:00 p.m.
Minneapolis Urban League, 2100 Plymouth Avenue

It has become apparent that Minneapolis police are out of control.  There
have been multiple killings of community members in outrageous
circumstances over the last few years.  Just in the last few months, calls
to our hotline have shot up sharply and are filled with horrific tales of
abuse.  Between the defanging of the Minneapolis civilian review
authority, the abuses of the gang strike task force and the utter lack of
willingness on the part of the mayor and city council to hold this police
force accountable, local control of the police no longer seems possible.
We are gathering testimony for the purpose of seeking federal receivership
of the Minneapolis police department.  Come and share your story with the
community for the purpose of seeking justice.

--------3 of 19--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Shatila/film 6.15 6:30pm

FREE Third Monday Movies and Discussion: "Children of Shatila"
Monday, June 15, 6:30 p.m. St. Joan of Arc Church, Parish Center, 4537
Third Avenue South, Minneapolis.

Many Palestinian children were orphaned by the 1982 massacre of refugees
in the camps of Sabra and Shatila in Lebanon - an event important in the
lives of two Palestinian girls who become friends through correspondence
and eventually meet. Despite the reality of the conflict surrounding them,
the girls are optimistic and hopeful. Discussion follows. Sponsored by:
the WAMM Third Monday Movies Committee. FFI: Call 612-871-2229.

--------4 of 19--------

From: Oxfam Action Corps - MN <minnesota [at] oxfamactioncorps.org>
Subject: Oxfam Action 6.15 7pm

On the 3rd Monday of each month, we gather to plan our nonpartisan
grassroots activities. We've successfully organized events, lobbied
policymakers, and have used sheer creativity to stand up for meaningful
change. We meet at 7pm the unique Common Roots Café (2558 Lyndale Ave. S.,
Minneapolis). [Check location -ed]

--------5 of 19--------

From: Mary Jane LaVigne
Subject: Soldiers/peace 6.15 7:30pm

Soldiers of Peace - Twin Cities Premiere
"A fundraiser for the Campaign for a Department of Peace and Friends for a
Nonviolent World"
Monday, June 15 at 7:30pm
Heights Theater

To see more details and RSVP, follow the link below:
http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=750275065&k=SZBTX4URP5VMYBFAVDW3V

--------6 of 19--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Rosemary Williams 6.16 12:30pm

Rally and Motion Hearing: "Stop the Eviction of Rosemary Williams"
Tuesday, June 16, 12:30 p.m. (Rally), 1:30 p.m. (Motion Hearing) Hennepin
County Government Center, Room 1400-A, 300 South 6th Street, Minneapolis.

Join others to pack the courtroom at the motion hearing of a Minneapolis
resident whose home has been foreclosed after 26 years of residency. Stop
the eviction of this home's resident, initiated against her by the
servicer of her mortgage. Sponsored by: the Minnesota Coalition for a
People's Bailout. WAMM is a member of the Minnesota Coalition for a
People's Bailout. FFI and Updates: Call 612-822-8020 or visit
www.mn-peoples-bailout.org.

--------7 of 19--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: NWN4P vigil 6.16 4:45pm

NWN4P vigil every Tuesday.
Corner of Winnetka and 42nd Avenues in New Hope. 4:45 to 5:45 PM.
All welcome; bring your own or use our signs.

--------8 of 19--------

From: Eric Angell <eric-angell [at] riseup.net>
Subject: Palestine/CTV 6.16 5pm

Syzygy-sippin' St. Paul Neighborhood Network (SPNN) viewers:
"Our World In Depth" cablecasts on SPNN Channel 15 on Tuesdays at 5pm,
midnight and Wednesday mornings at 10am, after DemocracyNow!  All
households with basic cable may watch.

Tues, 6/16, 5pm & midnight and Wed, 6/17, 10am
Palestine: A New Perspective
For the first time in Minnesota television history: the Palestinian point
of view straight-up for 1 hour!  Ziad Amra of the American-Arab
Anti-Discrimination Committee and Sameh Shabaneh of the Al-Aqsa Institute,
two Minnesotans with deep connections to Palestine, share their
perspectives on the Palestinian-Israel conflict.  Hosted by Karen Redleaf.

--------9 of 19--------

From: Do'ii <syncopatingrhythmsabyss [at] gmail.com>
Subject: RNC court watch 6.16 6pm

RNC Court Watchers are in need of participants to help with organizing
court information, documentation and etc.  RNC Court Watchers Meetings are
every Tuesday, 6 P.M. at Caffeto's. Below is announcement for our
meetings.

Preemptive raids, over 800 people arrested, police brutality on the
streets and torture in Ramsey County Jail. Police have indiscriminately
used rubber bullets, concussion grenades, tasers and chemical irritants to
disperse crowds and incapacitate peaceful, nonviolent protesters. The
RNC-8 and others are facing felonies and years in jail. We must fight this
intimidation, harassment and abuse!

Join the RNC Court Solidarity Meeting this coming Tuesday at Caffetto's to
find out how you can make a difference in the lives of many innocent
people.

Caffetto's Coffeehouse and Gallery (612)872-0911 708 W 22nd Street,
Minneapolis, MN 55405
Every Tuesday @ 6:00 P.M to 7:00 P.M
participate and help organize RNC court solidarity.
For more information, please contact: rnccourtwatch [at] gmail.com
THE PEOPLE UNITED WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

--------10 of 19--------

From: Meredith Aby <awcmere [at] gmail.com>
Subject: O/foreign policy 6.16 6pm

Discussion & Potluck:  What will be the impact of the Obama administration
on US foreign policy?  And what does this mean for the peace movement?
Tuesday, June 16th @ 6pm @ May Day Books (below Midwest Mountaineering),
301 Cedar Avenue, Mpls

Come discuss and eat with members of the anti-war movement the questions
on everyone's minds:  Will Obama start a war with North Korea?  Will he
actually end the war on Iraq?  What can we do to end the war on
Afghanistan?  Is Obama a force for peace and statehood for the
Palestinians?  Bring some tasty food to share.  Organized by the Anti-War
Committee

--------11 of 19--------

From: patty <pattypax [at] earthlink.net>
Subject: Salon evaluation 6.16 6:30pm

June 16 we are going to have an evaluation of how the salons are going and
how we can improve them.  If you have ideas for future salons or ways to
do things differently, please come and help.

And, on June 30, our guest will be Senator John Marty.  Very exciting!!
He will discuss his health plan that is being considered in the Minn.
Legislature.

From: Lydia Howell <lydiahowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Short films 6.16 7:30pm

Tues. June 16, 7:30 PM: Short Film Showcase of 5 films, featuring "The
Garden" by Ryan Philippi (Official Selection, International Film
Festival Rotterdam, Athens International Film Festival 2009).

Intermedia Arts
2822 Lyndale Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55408
http://www.intermediaarts.org <http://www.intermediaarts.org/>
Parking is available in the Intermedia Arts lot on the north side of
the building
TICKETS:  $5 (available at the door) General Admission

For more information: John Koch Cinema Revolution Society Minneapolis,
Minnesota Cell:  612.483.0657 http://www.cinemarevolution.org
<http://www.cinemarevolution.org/> http://www.mnartists.org/John_Koch

--------13 of 19--------

From: Oxfam Action Corps - MN <oxfam.mn [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Movies in park 6.16 9pm

Join Oxfam Action Corps - Minnesota and ONE Twin Cities for Movies in the
Park (...that make a difference) at 9 PM on Tuesday, June 16th at Matthews
Park (2318 29th Ave. S., Minneapolis).

This free community event features two empowering films. First, watch a
preview of Oxfam America's Sisters on the Planet, which tells the story of
four inspiring women living on the front lines of climate change. The
evening's feature film is Sons of Lwala, the critically-acclaimed
documentary of two brothers who, after earning medical degrees in the
United States, return home to Kenya to finish establishing a health clinic
started by their father who has fallen ill to AIDS.

Both movies deal with serious subjects often ignored or misunderstood -
but offer a message a hope. This will be the theme of this fun evening:
the real potential to help create lasting solutions to poverty and
injustice with meaningful action, right here in Minnesota. So come watch
these amazing films with us and, if you choose to, stay to learn how you
can make a difference without opening your pocketbook from volunteers of
the ONE Campaign and Oxfam Action Corps.

For more information, visit http://minnesota.oxfamactioncorps.org or
email Leah S. at minnesota [at] oxfamactioncorps.org