Progressive Calendar 06.04.09
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 09:08:27 -0700 (PDT)

1. Info freedom       6.03 11am
2. Edgertonite        6.03 7pm
3. Food hell/film     6.03 8pm
4. Fresh/food/film    6.03 time?

5. Climate change     6.04 2pm
6. Vs foreclosure     6.04 2pm
7. Vs WalMart         6.04 3:30pm
8. Eagan peace vigil  6.04 4:30pm
9. Northtown vigil    6.04 5pm
10. Civil rights dept 6.04 6pm
11. Green burial      6.04 6:30pm
12. Coldsnap/radicals 6.04 7pm
13. Radical poetry    6.04 7pm

--------1 of 13--------

From: Andy Driscoll <andy [at] driscollgroup.com>
Subject: Info freedom 6.03 11am

TRUTH TO TELL
KFAI - 90.3FM-Minneapolis/106.7FM Saint Paul and STREAMING at
<http://www.KFAI.org
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 3  11:00AM
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: Open Government vs. Privacy

We have in the last couple decades confronted an unprecedented time and
volume of government secrecy even as our technological developments have
enabled an unconscionable level of identity and data mining. Governments -
federal, state and local - stamp "SECRET" or "TOP SECRET" or
"CONFIDENTIAL" over millions of documents and files containing what should
be public information.

Minnesota's Data Practices Act is riddled with rules designed to provide
or withhold all kinds of information relating to the state's business.
Experts disagree on which should be available and which should not.
Insidious in a democracy, the shutting down of information citizens must
know to properly govern themselves has become an obsession of elected and
appointed officials throughout the systems designed to serve us.

Yes, we have the FOI - the Freedom of Information Act but that has neither
stopped nor abated the attempts to keep from the public the more critical
record of their governing institutions. And yet...and yet. We seem to be
losing the battle to ensure and control our privacy, not to mention our
bank accounts and personal belongings our very identities. We think
nothing of going online and ordering goods and services, giving up to an
electronic data compiler the very information we hold dear.

Why can't we stop the illegal mining of our data while we have to pry open
government files? When is government information legitimately kept from
us? And how can we protect our personal lives from predators?

"Transparency in Government" is the theme of the 2009 Summit of the
National Freedom of Information Coalition at the Marriott City Center in
Minneapolis Friday, June 5 and Saturday, June 6th. TTT's ANDY DRISCOLL and
LYNNELL MICKELSEN talk with speakers and others expected there
journalists, a heralded advocate, an ethicist and a librarian in search of
the proper access and limits we should seek for governing ourselves and
protecting privacy. GUESTS:

 HELEN BURKE  Senior Librarian, Hennepin Co. Library Government
Documents; President, MN Coalition on Government Information (MN-COGI)
 JANE KIRTLEY  Professor, School of Journalism, and Director, Silha
Center for Media Law and Ethics - University of MN
 RICH NEUMEISTER  Citizen Lobbyist, FOI Advocate, Winner, 2009 John
R. Finnegan Award
 REP. MARY LIZ HOLBERG (R-Lakeville)  Privacy advocate

From: jwilson [at] enp-news.org
Subject: Edgertonite 6.03 7pm

Edgertonite National Party meeting
Wednesday, 3 June 2009 at 7:00 PM
Blue Moon coffee shop, 3822 E. Lake St., Minneapolis, MN
For more info: http://www.enp-news.org or jwilson [at] enp-news.org
Public Welcome