Progressive Calendar 05.07.09
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 16:30:19 -0700 (PDT)

1. Mpls city charter  5.07 6:30pm
2. Miles/torture docs 5.07 7:30pm

3. Vs eviction        5.08 9am
4. Wilpf benefit      5.08 6pm
5. Moon/trees         5.08 7pm
6. Moyers/$$$politics 5.08 9pm

7. Dave Bicking - 46th St redevelopment - letter to Mpls council members
8. Alan Muller  - UofM students building house powered entirely by sun
9. Ralph Nader  - Single payer disruption of Congress?
10. Joel Albers - Disruption of Congress
11. Kevin Zeese - Why we were arrested at the Senate Finance Comm hearings
12. Healthcare-NOW! - Single-payer activists arrested!
13. Michael Munk - Baucus orders single payer advocates arrested
14. ed          - kumquattery  (new old saying)

--------1 of 14--------

From: Ian Stade <ianstade [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Mpls city charter 5.07 6:30pm

The Charter Commission has public hearings about the proposed changes to
the City Charter by city councilmembers Ostrow, Remington and Samuels.
The elimination of the park board, the board of estimate and the creation
of a city administrator are all being proposed.  Please show up and give
us your opinion.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 - 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
St. Joan of Arc Church (lower level)
4500 Clinton Ave S
Minneapolis  MN  55419
Phone:  612-823-8205

--------2 of 14--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Miles/torture docs 5.07 7:30pm

Dr. Steven Miles: Oath Betrayed: America's Torture Doctors
Thursday, May 7, 7:30 p.m. Magers and Quinn Booksellers. 3038 Hennepin
Avenue South, Minneapolis.

The news that the United States tortured
prisoners in the war on terror has brought shame to the nation, yet little
has been written about the doctors and psychologists at these prisons. In
Oath Betrayed, medical ethics expert and physician Steven H. Miles tells
how doctors, psychologists, and medics cleared prisoners for
interrogation, advised and monitored abuse, falsified documents -
including death certificates - and were largely silent as the scandal
unfolded. This updated and expanded paperback edition gives newly
uncovered details about the policies that engage clinicians in torture. It
discusses the ongoing furor over psychologists' participating in
interrogations. Most explosively this new edition shows how interrogation
psychologists may have moved from information-gathering to coercive
experiments, warning all of us about a new direction in U.S. policy and
military medicine - a direction that not so long ago was unthinkable.

Endorsed by: the WAMM Tackling Torture at the Top (T3) Committee. FFI:
Contact David Unowsky at 612-822-4611 or davidu [at] magersandquinn.com.

--------3 of 14--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Vs eviction 5.08 9am

Minneapolis City Council Meeting: Resolution Calling on Mortgage Holders
to Allow People to Stay in their Homes
Friday, May 8, 9:00 to 10:30 a.m. Minneapolis City Hall, Room 317, 350
South 5th Street, Minneapolis.

The Minneapolis City Council will consider a resolution calling on
mortgage holders to allow people to stay in their homes. The resolution
urges mortgage holders to adopt a policy of maintaining foreclosed
homeowners and tenants in foreclosed property, similar to what Fannie Mae
and Freddie Mac have adopted, thereby helping to protect our families, our
neighborhoods, our housing stock and the public interest through these
difficult economic times. Sponsored by: the Minnesota Coalition for a
People's Bailout. WAMM is a member of the Minnesota Coalition for a
People's Bailout. FFI and Updates: Call 612-822-8020 or visit
www.mn-peoples-bailout.org.

--------4 of 14--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: Wilpf benefit 5.08 6pm

May 8:  Women's International League for Peace and Freedom Arts Committee
evening of entertainment that includes a sale of artwork that is 6" x 6"
(or smaller) for $66 each, live music, desserts and beverages to benefit
Women & Water Rights: Rivers of Regeneration, an exhibition and related
programs at the UMN Katherine E. Nash Gallery scheduled for February 23 -
March 25, 2010. 6 - 9:30 PM at First Floor Gallery, 801 Washington Avenue
North, Minneapolis. More information.

--------5 of 14--------

From: Sue Ann <mart1408 [at] umn.edu>
Subject: Moon/trees 5.08 7pm

h  o  n  o  r  i  n  g
the TREES of COLDWATER
Full  Moon  Walk
Friday, May 8, 2009
7 pm  at  Coldwater Spring

Directions: From Hwy 55/Hiawatha in south Minneapolis, turn East (toward
the Mississippi) at 54th Street, take an immediate right (South) 1/2-mile
past the parking meters, through the cul-de-sac and the gates. Follow the
curvy road left & then right down to the pond, next to the great willow
tree.

Sunset 8:27 pm - Moonrise 8:33 pm (moment of full moon 11:01 pm - East
Coast full moon is next day)
Info: www.friendsofcoldwater.org

From: t r u t h o u t <messenger [at] truthout.org>
Subject: Moyers/$$$politics 5.08 9pm

Bill Moyers Journal | The Politics of Big Money
http://www.truthout.org/050609V?n

Bill Moyers Journal: "As the banking stress-test results come in, the
Journal takes a closer look at money's stranglehold on politics. Bill
Moyers speaks with Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Illinois) - who declared last week
that banks "are still the most powerful lobby on Capitol Hill."