Progressive Calendar 04.22.09
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 01:45:20 -0700 (PDT)

1. Protest foreclosures 4.22 9:30am
2. Homeless youth       4.22 11am
3. Mpls charter         4.22 11am
4. Campaign research    4.22 12noon
5. JeanEstime/GP/ward 8 4.22 4:30pm
6. Woodbury vs speech   4.22 7:30pm

7. OutFront lobby       4.23 9am
8. Don't enlist/resist  4.23 9:30am
9. Zero recruit/UofM    4.23 11am
10. Eagan peace vigil   4.23 4:30pm
11. Northtown vigil     4.23 5pm
12. WILPF potluck       4.23 6pm
13. Mpls city charter   4.23 6:30pm

14. Take back the night 4.24 5:30pm

15. John V Walsh   - Obama cowers before the health insurance industry
16. Ross & Rhee    - RFK Jr: Obama an indentured servant to coal industry
17. Alex Cockburn  - Thin ice from here to the horizon
18. Steven Salaita - Renouncing Israel on principle

--------1 of 18--------

From: WRC alt email <welfarerights [at] qwest.net>
Subject: Protest foreclosures 4.22 9:30am

As you know, the Welfare Rights Committee is an active memer of the MN
Coaltion for a People's Bailout. One part of our bill calls for a
moratorium on forclosures on owner-occupied homes. The case of Coalion
member Rosemary Williams is a prime example of why this moratorium is
needed. Please join us as we stand in solidarity with her in struggle.

Neighbors, friends and community organizations
Rally & Intervene in Court on Rosemary Williams Eviction Case.
Wednesday, April 22, 9:30 a.m.
Outside Hennepin County Government Center

Rosemary Williams, a 55-year resident of the Central Neighborhood, in
south Minneapolis will be going to court the morning of April 22, where
she will face evictions proceedings from her foreclosed home. Rosemary's
decision to fight the eviction and stand up to foreclosures has drawn
broad community support.

Prior to the court hearing, Rosemary Williams will be speaking at a 9:30
press conference and protest organized by the Poor Peoples Economic Human
Rights Campaign and the MN Coalition for a Peoples Bailout. Other
organizations backing the effort include;

ACORN, MN Tenants Union, and CANDO.

Rosemary Williams states, "Housing is a human right and we need a
moratorium on home foreclosures.  I am taking a stand for all people
facing homelessness from foreclosures and evictions from foreclosed
properties. We can not be sacrificed to the greed of bankers and mortgage
companies."

Cheri Honkala, of the Poor Peoples Economic Human Rights Campaign, states
"Rosemary Williams is on the front lines of the fight against
foreclosures.  We are organizing in our neighborhood and our neighbors are
behind her. We will do everything in our power to prevent her eviction."

In the April 22 Court appearance, attorneys for Rosemary Williams will ask
the judge to allow her to stay in her home, while the legal issues
relating to her case are sorted out.

Specifically, the attorneys will argue that her eviction, which will lead
to another vacant home, would create a public nuisance for the entire
neighborhood. Low income neighborhoods with high concentrations of people
of color have been the hardest hit by the foreclosure crisis. Hundreds of
residents of the Central Neighborhood and other concerned people have
signed legal requests to intervene in her legal case on these grounds.

Linden Gawboy, of the MN Coalition for a Peoples Bailout states, "Rosemary
Williams is helping to build the movement against home foreclosures and we
will fight with her every step of the way."

For more information contact:
Linden Gawboy / Minnesota Coalition for a People's Bailout @ 612-296-5649
Cheri Honkala  / Poor Peoples Economic Human Rights Campaign @ 267-439-8419

Welfare Rights Committee PO Box 7266 (3104 16th Ave S), Mpls, MN 55407
612-822-8020 Primary email: welfarerightsmn [at] yahoo.com Secondary email:
welfarerights [at] qwest.net

--------2 of 18--------

From: Lydia Howell <lydiahowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Homeless youth 4.22 11am

PLEASE SHARE ON YOUR LISTS/CALENDARS:come see film & bring various items
needed by homeless youth--list included below

A new documentary
Homeless Youth: Finding Home and a chance to help our own MCTC students
Wed, April 22 from 11am-1pm,
Helland Student Life Center
MINNEAPOLIS COMMUNITY & TEcCHNICAL COLLEGE
on Hennepin Ave. @ 15th, DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS

Did you know that?
 22,000 youth are homeless in MN every year?
 An estimated 700 to 1,650 young adults ages 18-21 experience
homelessness nightly?
 Children represent more than half of the hungry who visit food shelves?
 In 2007, 300 MN food shelves were visited 1.9 million times? (By
hunger solutions)
 Some of our own MCTC students are impacted by hunger and homelessness?

Join us for a viewing and hear real life stories from our own MCTC
students on hunger and homelessness.
Help us meet some of the most basic needs of our students. Please bring
non-perishable food and personal care items the week of April 20-April
24th, 2009 . We will also accept donations day of screening.
Drop-offs at Counseling and Student Life Center.
Proceeds will be distributed to our MCTC students on April 29th
(location to be announced).

Some items recommended:

Canned/preserved meats, chicken, salmons or tuna
Canned/boxed fruit juices Jam and jelly, peanut butter
Dry pasta, rice, beans
Cooking oil
Potatoes (packaged)
Spices ( or salt and pepper)
Tea, coffee, sugar
Baking/pancake mixes/dessert mixes
Soups/crackers
Cereals
Toothpaste/toothbrush Toilet paper
Dish detergent Lotion, deodorant
Diapers (all sizes)  Bath soap/laundry soaps
Cooking sauces/seasoning or gravy packets/spaghetti sauce

Sponsored by: Office of Resource and Referral, Power of You Club, Dean of
Academic Students & Multicultural Student Success, Youth Moving Forward
Agenda, Student Life, Center for Civic Engagement, Academic Dean and HPHC.

--------3 of 18--------

From: Andy Driscoll <andy [at] driscollgroup.com>
Subject: Mpls charter 4.22 11am

Tune in and Donate to TRUTH TO TELL - 612-375-9030
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 22 11:00AM

MINNEAPOLIS CHARTER AMENDMENTS: Changing City Governance
After over 100 years, the Minneapolis Charter Commission will hear
comments on several major revisions, which, if passed by city voters in
November, would radically change the way Minneapolis is governed.  One
converts the archaic language of the charter itself into plain English.
Three others submitted by some councilmembers propose significant changes
in how the city would be run, including 1)  creation of the office of City
Administrator (replacing the currently appointed Coordinator's position);
2) eliminating altogether the Minneapolis Park Board and 3) the Board of
Estimate and Taxation, rolling all those responsibilities into the City
Council and Mayor's offices. TTT'S ANDY DRISCOLL and LYNNELL MICKELSEN
talk with supporting and opposing officials about the history of those
bodies, the impact of their creation/elimination, and what citizens might
expect in the wake of such radial change: Accountability? Efficiencies?
Autonomy? Focus?  Tune in and talk with our guests. How would you vote on
this today?

GUESTS:
 CAM GORDON - Minneapolis Ward 2 City Councilmember
 PAUL OSTROW - Minneapolis Ward 1 City Councilmember
 ANNIE YOUNG - Minneapolis At-Large Park Board Commissioner
 CAROL BECKER - President, Mpls. Board of Estimate and Taxation (Elected
Member)
 JIM BERNSTEIN, Chair, Minneapolis Charter Commission
AND YOU! CALL IN - 612-341-0980
CAN'T GET US OVER THE AIR? STREAM TTT LIVE and LATER at KFAI.ORG

--------4 of 18--------

From: joan [at] metrostability.org
Subject: Campaign research 4.22 12noon
    Campaign Strategy

Join in the next Organizer Roundtable discussion on how research can increase
the credibility and strengthen the positions of your organizing campaigns.

The Role of Research in Effective Campaign Strategy
Noon - 1:30 pm, Wednesday, April 22
Alliance for Metropolitan Stability
2525 E Franklin Avenue, Suite 200
Minneapolis, MN  55406

Our presenters will discuss how they have used research to influence
decision-makers, and will engage participants in a discussion about practical
research applications in organizing campaigns. We will also discuss research
resources available to organizations in our metropolitan region.

Presenters:

Jeff Corn, community programs assistant at the Center for Urban and
Regional Affairs. Jeff is providing administrative and program support to
CURA's three community-based research programs.

Andrea Lubov, retired economist and member of Jewish Community Action.
Andrea provided vital statistical research for the Stops for Us campaign
in making the case for the Hamline, Victoria and Western stations on the
Central Corridor LRT.

Geoff Maas, GIS manager at the Minnesota Center for Environmental
Advocacy. Geoff has more than a decade of experience in urban and regional
planning, geographic information systems and cartography.

Organizer Roundtables are free but registration is required.
Please register at
https://www.thedatabank.com/dpg/322/personalopt1.asp?formid=event&c=5257464

Light snacks will be provided. Please bring your lunch!

We hope to see you there! Please contact me with any questions. Joan
Vanhala, Coalition Organizer 612-332-4471 <email obscured> Joan Vanhala
Phillips, Minneapolis Info about Joan Vanhala:
http://forums.e-democracy.org/p/2tjdbtjS2TMoWBmnWj8CT9

--------5 of 18--------

From: press [at] jeanineestime.org
Subject: Jean Estime/GP/ward 8 4.22 4:30pm

Jean Estime City Council Ward 8 www.jeanineestime.org 612-395-5333

For more information contact
Farheen Hakeem 612-432-6806 or press [at] jeanineestime.org

For immediate release:                                                  April
20, 2009

Press Conference:
Wednesday April 22, 2009 4:30PM
Sabathani Community Center
Room 218
310 East 38th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55409

Jeanine Estimé, a 15 year resident of South Minneapolis is entering the
City Council Ward 8 race.  She will be seeking the Green Party
endorsement.  Jeanine, who currently serves on the Steering Committee of
the 5th Congressional District Green party, holds a B.A. in Liberal Arts
from Metropolitan State University.

According to the City of Minneapolis website, Ward 8 has the third highest
number of foreclosures in the City of Minneapolis, effecting over 800
homes.  Estimé sees concerns that residents have, especially those that
rent, are not addressed and opportunity to alleviate worries is greatly
needed.  "As a single parent and a renter, I understand the growing needs
of the community and the much needed visibility for a strong voice in City
Hall," Estimé explains.

Estimé is campaigning on issues of youth programming, environmental
sustainability, housing, and civil rights.  Her vision includes:
 Eliminating cuts to the Minneapolis Civil Rights Department
 Preventing youth violence by using private and public funds to
create youth programming
 Support businesses that will produce alternative energy use
 Encourage new businesses, such as Trader Joes, to open in North
Minneapolis.

Estimé continues to say, "There is a great potential to bring more
resources to our ward, and I am encouraged by the support I have received
to run."

Jeanine Estimé is announcing her candidacy on 4:30PM Wednesday April 22,
2009 at Sabathani Community Center Board Room, Room 218.

For more information contact press [at] jeanineestime.org

--------6 of 18--------

From: Michelle Gross <mgresist [at] visi.com>
Subject: Woodbury vs speech 4.22 7:30pm

WOODBURY CITY COUNCIL PROPOSES NASTY RESTRICTION ON FREE SPEECH
Attend City Council Meeting to Fight Back!
Wednesday, April 22  7:30 p.m.
8301 Valley Creek Rd, Woodbury
Carpool leaving 6:30 p.m. from Walker Church, 3104 16th Ave S, Minneapolis

On Wednesday, April 22, the Woodbury city council is expected to vote on
an ordinance banning residential picketing.

This ordinance is being proposed in response to a half dozen pickets that
happened at the homes of 3M executives this past summer because of 3M's
connection to an animal testing company called Huntingdon Life Sciences.
The police themselves have stated that no laws were broken, the protesters
were peaceful, and the protesters even cooperated with the police when
asked to leave.

Please come out and help prevent another attack on First Amendment rights.
A carpool will be leaving the Walker Church at 6:30 SHARP to be at the
city council meeting (8301 Valley Creek Road) by 7:30.  If you have a car,
please bring it with because it is likely we won't have enough cars. -- If
your not able to make it to the meeting, or even if you are, please call
the Woodbury city council and voice your opposition on Wednesday, April 22
BEFORE 4:00PM.

Mayor William Hargis: (651) 739-1040
Council Member Paul Rebholz: (651) 735-7864
Council Member Mary Giuliani Stephens: (651) 739-1242
Council Member Julie Ohs:  (651) 735-5325
Council Member Amy Scoggins: (651) 702-0075

--------7 of 18--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: OutFront lobby 4.23 9am

April 23: OutFront Minnesota's justFair Lobby Day. Lobby Day from 9 -
11:45 AM. Rally for Fairness at Noon. Meetings with Legislators all day.

--------8 of 18---------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Don't enlist/resist 4.23 9:30am

"Zero Recruitment: Don't Enlist! Resist!" Press Conference and
Demonstration to Oppose Recruitment

Thursday, April 23, 9:30 a.m. Knollwood Mall, Parking Lot (by the
Knollwood sign), Highway 7 and Texas Avenue, St. Louis Park. President
Obama has failed to keep his promise of ending the U.S. war on Iraq. His
plan to keep 50,000 troops in Iraq through 2011 will continue an
unjustified military occupation for almost three more years. An escalation
is planned for Afghanistan, where Obama just deployed 17,000 additional
troops. Maintaining these wars and occupations requires military
recruiters to entice young people with false promises. Recruiters, who
already disproportionately target low-income people, will use the economic
crisis to intensify pressure on vulnerable youth. We have to shatter the
illusion that the war is ending and that new soldiers won't have to
fight. On April 23, 2009, actions will occur simultaneously at recruiting
centers across Minnesota. All will have the shared goal of opposing the
wars on Iraq and Afghanistan, and opposing military recruiting that day.
WAMM members will protest outside Knollwood Mall. Initiated by: the Anti-
War Committee. Endorsed by: WAMM.

--------9 of 18--------

From: Meredith Aby <awcmere [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Zero recruit/UofM 4.23 11am

Zero Recruitment Day at the University of Minnesota Thursday, April 23 @
11am - 1pm @ 806 Washington Ave. SE Army Recruiting Station, 806 Washington
Ave. SE, Minneapolis (near corner of Washington & Oak Street

On April 23, 2009, different actions, will occur simultaneously at
recruiting centers across Minnesota. All will have the shared goal of
opposing the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and preventing military
recruiting that day. Join us at the University of Minnesota to help make
this day a success. Organized by U of MN sds.

Meredith Aby antiwarcommittee.org colombiasolidarity.org

--------10 of 18--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <family4peace [at] msn.com>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 4.23 4:30pm

PEACE VIGIL EVERY THURSDAY from 4:30-5:30pm on the Northwest corner of
Pilot Knob Road and Yankee Doodle Road in Eagan. We have signs and
candles. Say "NO to war!" The weekly vigil is sponsored by: Friends south
of the river speaking out against war.

--------11 of 18--------

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 4.23 5pm

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: WILPF potluck 4.23 6pm

April 23. Women's International League for Peace & Freedom, Minnesota
Metro Branch Potluck and Festive Membership Drive Kickoff. 6 PM at
Riverview Towers, 1920 South 1st Street, West Bank, Minneapolis.

--------13 of 18--------

From: Ian Stade <ianstade [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Mpls city charter 4.23 6:30pm

The Charter Commission is having four public hearings about the proposed
changes to the City Charter by city councilmembers Ostrow, Remington and
Samuels.  The elimination of the park board, the board of estimate and the
creation of a city administrator are all being proposed.  Please show up
and give us your opinion. [Anyone for condos in Loring Park? -ed]

Thursday, April 23, 2009 - 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
Minnesota Transitions School (Board Room)
2872  26th Ave S
Minneapolis  MN  55406
Phone:  612-722-9013

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
North Regional Library
1315 Lowry Ave N
Minneapolis  MN  55411
Phone:  612-630-6600

Thursday, April 30, 2009 - 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
Northeast Library
2200 Central Ave NE
Minneapolis  MN  55418
Phone: 612-630-6900

Thursday, May 7, 2009 - 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.
St. Joan of Arc Church (lower level)
4500 Clinton Ave S
Minneapolis  MN  55419
Phone:  612-823-8205