Progressive Calendar 04.16.09
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 04:42:05 -0700 (PDT)

           Now that taxes are over, everybody is doing everything.

1. Vs Vikings stadium  4.16 9am
2. Synthetic biology   4.16 11:30am
3. Vs gentrification   4.16 4:30pm
4. Eagan peace vigil   4.16 4:30pm
5. Northtown vigil     4.16 5pm
6. Pentel/environment  4.16 6pm
7. Anti-war rights     4.16 6pm
8. Sustainability      4.16 6:30pm
9. Lisa Ledwidge       4.16 6:45pm
10. Haiti film         4.16 7pm
11. Palestine          4.16 7pm
12. Global food crisis 4.16 7pm
13. Amnesty Intl       4.16 7:15pm

14. Ajamu Baraka       4.17 1:30/3/4:30pm
15. Natl Lawyers Guild 4.17-19 5:30pm
16. Night of noise     4.17 6pm
17. Guatemala film     4.17 7pm

18. Harold Meyerson - Rush builds a revolution
19. Karl Grossman   - A radioactive extension for aging nuclear plants

--------1 of 19--------

From: Dave Bicking <dave [at] colorstudy.com>
Subject: Vs Vikings stadium 4.16 9am

Dear friends,

You probably recall that I sent a number of messages to this list a couple
of years ago about the Twins stadium.  Well, we lost - we'll be paying
that sales tax for the next 28 years - but we helped expose some of the
greed, corruption, and undemocratic nature of our government and many
politicians.  Some of us even had some fun in the process!

Now it is time to do some serious organizing to oppose public funding of a
new Vikings stadium.  Yes, the Vikings think it is their turn, either this
year or next year, and they want twice as much public money as the Twins
got!

We have a plan for this Thursday morning, April 16, for those who can come
downtown on a weekday morning.  Details below.

The Vikings want to tear down the Metrodome, and build a new stadium on
the site with a retractable roof.  The pricetag is a little over $950
million.  Zygi Wilf, billionaire owner of the Vikings, is willing to
"contribute" $250 million.  The remainder, presumably, comes from the
public - you and I.  But no one will say how that will happen, or even
propose a method of public financing.  Some could come from a ticket tax,
or parking revenues, or other user fees - that's not so bad, because it
would be paid by the users, not the general public.  But with over $700
million to cover, it is vitually certain that most of it will come from
the general public, as a new tax, or from existing revenues.  With budget
shortfalls at all levels of government, paying for the stadium out of
existing general funds would mean serious cuts in important programs.

I assume that the Vikings, and some politicians, have plans for particular
funding streams, whether state-level, or seven-county metro taxes, etc.
But no one is saying, probably for fear of generating opposition from
whatever group of people who will be expected to pay for it.  So whatever
the plan, they intend to spring it on us at the last moment.  Yes, the
Vikings are good at playing games - at least this type.

I don't think I need to convince you that public funding for a new Vikings
stadium is outrageous.

I am helping to build a new group to fight public funding for the Vikings
stadium.  We are calling it TURFF, or Taxpayers United for Rational
Football Funding.  We would like to form a united opposition that is
prepared to fight this all the way, and we invite anyone to join who
supports our goals.  A website is under construction, at
http://turff.info/

It will soon have more background information, action alerts, a button to
donate, and a button to sign up for email alerts.  In the meantime, if you
would like occasional emails from the group, send a request to:
TheTeam [at] TURFF.info

Our action on Thursday morning is aimed at the Metropolitan Sports
Facilities Commission (MSFC).  Don't feel bad if you've never heard of it.
It is the public body that owns and operates the Metrodome.  (Kind of like
the new public body that is building the Twins stadium and will own and
operate it: the Ballpark Authority.)  At this point, the MSFC is where the
main action is to push for the new Vikings stadium.  Though, as public
officials, they are supposed to represent the public interest, they have
been shamelessly shilling for the Vikings.

About a year and a half ago, the MSFC conducted a "listening tour" at 8
stops around the state.  They spent $400,000 of public money on this.  It
was mostly a promotional presentation, with very little listening.  And to
make sure they didn't hear us, they promoted their tour almost exclusively
to Vikings season ticket holders.  Some of us showed up anyway and
expressed our opposition.

Last September, the MSFC chose an architect and a general construction
contractor for the stadium, and they are now spending several million
dollars - of our public money - to design and plan this stadium that they
won't tell us who will pay for it.  Members of the MSFC have been lobbying
State Legislators during this session.  Their original plan was to get the
stadium funded this year, but that seems unlikely this year, barring a
special session.  Nevertheless, they are busy laying the groundwork.

The head of the MSFC is appointed by the governor, but all the other
members are appointed by the Minneapolis City Council.  No one on the City
Council seems to know or care what their appointed members are doing with
our money.  Just last January, half of the members were up for
reappointment, and all the incumbents were reappointed with very little
discussion and only one dissent (Cam Gordon).

The MSFC meets the third Thursday of each month at 9:30am in an office in
the Metrodome.  Our plan is to attend the meeting this Thursday, April 16,
and have a quiet but visible presence representing the public.  There is
media coverage of the meetings; this will be the first time they notice a
public opposition showing up.  In order to go in as a group and obtain
good seats, we will meet in the parking lot on the east end of the dome
BEFORE 9:00am.  Parking is free for meetings, and the entrance is off of
11th Ave. S., near the SE corner of the Metrodome property.

If you know ahead of time that you can come, please call me at
612-276-1213 to let us know, and to get more info.  Or just show up and
meet us in the parking lot.  I'm sorry about the short notice.  We would
really appreciate your attendance if you can be free on a weekday morning.

I plan to send occasional updates on the progress of the Vikings stadium
and our efforts to fight it, and I'll let you know of future actions.  We
really need to grow the opposition, and make the public more aware of what
is happening.  I'll paste below the announcement made by the TURFF group.

Dave Bicking

- Announcing TURFF -- And a Call To Action

Ah yes, spring is in the air, and once again, just like the noxious weeds
sprouting up on lawns all over the state, plans for building a new
statdium for a billionaire are making their way to the legislature.

To help combat the continued growth of public money for private
entertainment business we are:

Announcing www.TURFF.info <http://www.TURFF.info>

This is a collaberative effort to attempt to prevent Zygi Wilf and the
Vikings from doing what Carl Pohlad and the Twins did to the taxpayers of
the State of Minnesota.

CALL TO ACTION

TURFF will be making its first public outing next week.

Thursday, April 16 -- 9:00 AM -- Downtown Minneapolis Minnesota Sports
Commission Meeting -- Free Parking Available at the Dome

We will be downtown for approximately 2 hours, and we need and want as
many warm bodies as we can muster to join with us.

If you are available Thursday morning, please respond ASAP so we can make
final plans.

--------2 of 19--------

From: Consortium on Law & Values and JDP Program <lawvalue [at] UMN.EDU>
Subject: Synthetic biology 4.16 11:30am

Drew Endy Dialogue and Notes on Synthetic Biology
Prof. Drew Endy, PhD
Stanford University, Department of Bioengineering
Thursday, April 16, 2009
11:30am-1:00pm
Note location change-- Mayo Auditorium, Room 3-100

Thirty-five years ago, scientists first learned how to intentionally and
directly manipulate DNA, the genetic material encoding life, using crude
tools to construct relatively simple genetic programs. These early tools
led to the birth of the biotechnology industry, resulting in new drugs and
therapies, as well as many new controversies and unmet promises.

Today, much more powerful tools are rapidly being developed in order to
help make biology easier to engineer, via a new field of research known as
Synthetic Biology.  Already, scientists and engineers have used early
forms of these tools to construct genomes, the entire DNA program for an
organism, from raw chemicals. Young students have already developed simple
genetic programs of their own designs, producing bacteria that can take a
photograph or smell as bananas. As biology becomes easier to engineer,
many more individuals and groups, not just researchers, will likely have
the opportunity to use biotechnology to solve their own problems, just as
many people today can program computers or author a webpage.

Prof. Endy's lecture will address questions such as what role should each
person, group, and nation have in our future biotechnology world? How will
we all best work together to make sure that we choose to apply future
biotechnologies for overwhelming good?

Speaker and Commentators' Biographies
Prof. Drew Endy is currently an Assistant Professor at Stanford
University's Bioengineering Department and President of the BioBricks
Foundation (BBF).  Prof. Endy earned degrees in civil, environmental, and
biochemical engineering at Lehigh and Dartmouth. He studied genetics &
microbiology as a postdoc at UT Austin and UW Madison. From 1998 through
2001 he helped to start the Molecular Sciences Institute, an independent
not-for-profit biological research lab in Berkeley, CA. In 2002, he
started a group as a fellow in the Department of Biology and the
Biological Engineering Division at MIT; he joined the MIT faculty in 2004
where he worked until September 2008. Drew co-founded the MIT Synthetic
Biology working group and the Registry of Standard Biological Parts, and
organized the First International Conference on Synthetic Biology. In 2004
Endy co-founded Codon Devices, Inc., a biotechnology startup.  In 2005
Endy co-founded the BioBricks Foundation, a not-for-profit organization
that is working to develop legal and economic strategies needed to support
open biotechnology. Drew's research interests are the engineering of
integrated biological systems and error detection & correction in
reproducing machines.

Commentary will be provided by Prof. Michael Osterholm, PhD, MPH,
Director, Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) at
the University of Minnesota and Prof. Bill McGeveran, JD, Associate
Professor at the University of Minnesota Law School.

This event is free and open to the public.
This lecture is intended for students, faculty, attorneys, researchers,
scientists, policymakers, and community members.

Continuing Education--CLE & CME
Application for 1.5 hours of general Continuing Legal Education (CLE) for
attorneys has been submitted.

The University of Minnesota is accredited by the Accreditation Council
for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education
for physicians.

Application for AMA PRA Category 1 Credits has been filed with the
University of Minnesota Office of Continuing Medical Education.
Determination of credit is pending. It is the policy of the University of
Minnesota Office of Continuing Medical Education to ensure balance,
independence, objectivity and scientific rigor in all of its sponsored
educational activities.

Registration is recommended for those requesting continuing
education credit. Registration is available online at
www.lifesci.consortium.umn.edu/, by phone at 612-625-0055, or by email at
lawvalue [at] umn.edu. Please provide your name, email address and indicate
if continuing education credits are requested.

To access a map for the Mayo Auditorium and nearby parking, visit
http://www1.umn.edu/twincities/maps/MMA/MMA-map.html.

--------3 of 19--------

From: Lydia Howell <lydiahowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Vs gentrification 4.16 4:30pm

Organizing for Environmental Justice and Equitable Development on
University Avenue's proposed Light Rail/Corridor Redevelopment
Project.

STAY IN PLACE AND THRIVE
Community Forum on Resisting Gentrification
THURSDAY, APRIL 16
4:30 - 7:30 PM
LAO FAMILY
320 W. UNIVERSITY AVE.
Dinner Provided.  The general public is welcome.  Please send out this
reminder/updated flyer to your networks!  See you then!!!!!!

Veronica Burt - JUST Equity
Public Policy Advocate/Community Organizer
univaveequity [at] yahoo.com
Organizing for Environmental Justice and Equitable Development on
University Avenue's proposed Light Rail/Corridor Redevelopment
Project.

Member of the Preserve and Benefit Historic Rondo Committee: Neighborhood
Residents, Aurora St. Anthony Neighborhood Development Corporation, St.
Paul-NAACP, Community Stabilization Project and JUST Equity.

"Revitalization without Displacement - Lifting people out of poverty and
not out of the neighborhood"

From: Greg and Sue Skog <family4peace [at] msn.com>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 4.16 4:30pm

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com