Progressive Calendar 03.25.09
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 05:59:39 -0700 (PDT)

1. Choice/Capitol     3.25 8:45am
2. Poverty/KFAI       3.25 11am
3. People's bailout   3.25 12:15pm
4. Vote count         3.25 6pm
5. Civil rights dept  3.25 6pm
6. Nuke nuke power    3.25 6:30pm
7. IOUSA/debt film    3.25
8. Kilowatt Ours/f    3.25 8pm

9. Second chance      3.26 8:30am
10. Mexico/MN/law     3.26 4pm
11. Eagan peace vigil 3.26 4:30pm
12. Northtown vigil   3.26 5pm
13. Airport madness   3.26 6:30pm    [ed head]
14. Kip/single payer  3.26 6:45pm
15. AI benefit        3.26 7pm
16. StP schools       3.26 7pm

17. Harvey Wasserman - The crash of France's nuclear poster child
18. Harvey Wasserman - People died at Three Mile Island; 30 years & on..
19. M Shadid Alam    - Capitalism from the standpoint of its victims
20. ed               - Sham poo  (helpful household hint)

--------1 of 20--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: Choice/Capitol 3.25 8:45am

March 25:  NARAL Pro-Choice Minnesota Pro-Choice Lobby Day at the State
Capitol. 8:45 AM - 2:30 PM. Register.

--------2 of 20--------

From: Andy Driscoll <andy [at] driscollgroup.com>
Subject: Poverty/KFAI 3.25 11am

TRUTH TO TELL
NOW 900 WATTS STRONG: FM 90.3/Minneapolis-106.7/St. Paul and STREAMING
LIVE AT KFAI.org

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 2511:00AM
MAJORA CARTER and LOCAL GREEN JOBS POVERTY-KILLERS
Part of KFAI'S STRIVE TO THRIVE SERIES on POVERTY in MINNESOTA

Poverty's ugly head continues to pester a culture claiming to be equal in
all respects. Many Minnesotans believe "we're not as bad as other places."
But thousands of Minnesota's children and families wallow in unnecessary
poverty, hundreds homeless, unable to find work, to eat properly and to
learn; Poverty's effects have been and can be even more devastating for
all of us...if we look back and down and not ahead.

But huge coalitions are forming nationally and locally toward lifting
whole communities out of the mire and create sustainable and livable
communities at the same time.

TTT's ANDY DRISCOLL and LYNNELL MICKELSEN talk with one national and
several Twin City movers and inspirations for building and rebuilding
poverty-stricken communities with jobs and foresight.

GUESTS:
 ALEX TITTLE Education Direcor, Summit Academy OIC, H.I.R.E.
(Healthcare, Infrastructure, and Renewable Energy) Minnesota Green Jobs
Initiative
 KAREN MONAHAN Community Organizer, EJAM (Environmental Justice Advocates
of MN)
 JOHN HOTTINGER former State Senate Majority Leader; Sierra Club and
Blue/Green Alliance
 MAJORA CARTER - Founder, Sustainable South Bronx
AND YOU! COMMENTS? QUESTIONS? CALL IN: 612-341-0980.

--------3 of 20--------

From: Steff Yorek <yosteff [at] gmail.com>
Subject: People's bailout 3.25 12:15pm

Legislation that would protect low-income and working people:
Senate Committee to hold hearing on Minnesota People's Bail Out Act
Press Conference:
March 25, 12:15
In front of room 123,
MN State Capitol

The first senate hearing on the Minnesota People's Bail Out Act (Senate
File 542) will be held in the Minnesota Senate Business Industry and Jobs
Committee on Wednesday, March 25, at 12:30 am in room 123 of the MN State
Capitol in St. Paul.

The People's Bail Out Act is a legislative initiative calling on state
government to take steps to protect low-income and working people from the
worst effects of the current economic crisis. Public testimony is expected
from supporters of the People's Bail Out Act at the Wednesday hearing.

The act would put a moratorium on housing foreclosures and it would force
banks and mortgage companies that foreclose on rental property to honor
existing leases, thus preventing tenants from becoming homeless. Many of
the touted programs to help homeowners and tenants have not yet taken
effect on the ground, so MN needs a moratorium.

The act also would extend and expand eligibility for unemployment
benefits, create a new public works program to put people to work, and
place a moratorium on the five-year lifetime limit for public assistance.
The act would prevent layoffs of public sector workers, including workers
at the University of Minnesota.

The Minnesota Coalition for a People's Bailout, a group of community,
labor and other organizations, has been working with a broad range of
community organizations to win support for the legislation.

"We are in the midst of the deepest economic crisis since the great
depression. Legislators need to pass protections for working Minnesotans
that have real teeth. The act will provide protection from the most
damaging affects of unemployment: mortgage foreclosures and evictions,"
said Phyllis Walker, President of AFSCME Local 3800, one of the
organizations supporting the Peoples Bailout Act.

"Families on welfare are facing a very bleak situation unless there is an
extension of the 5-year limit on receiving public assistance," said Deb
Konechne of MN People's Bailout Coalition and the Welfare Rights
Committee. Konechne continued "It is not realistic to expect these
families to recover in the limited time currently available to them."

 The act would protect tenants in rental properties that are foreclosed.
Currently, tenants in foreclosed properties can be given as little as a
60-day notice to vacate their rental homes once the bank or mortgage
company reclaims the property.

"Tenants should not be made homeless when their landlord loses the
property. Tenants have paid their rent and that rent was supposed to go to
pay the landlords' mortgages," said Mick Kelly of the MN Peoples' Bailout
Coalition.

The act would also put in place a moratorium on foreclosures for
homeowners. With an unemployment rate of 8.1% and rising means
foreclosures will increase exponentially," Kelly continued.

A broad range of organizations have signed on to support the Bail Out Act,
including the St. Paul Regional Labor Federation, representing union
households in the east metro area; AFSCME Council 5, Council on Black
Minnesotans; AFSCME Local 3800; Elim Transitional Housing, Inc; Welfare
Rights Committee and many others.