Progressive Calendar 02.22.09
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:06:59 -0800 (PST)

1. Stillwater vigil    2.22 1pm
2. Bubble economy      2.22 1pm
3. RNC litigation      2.22 2pm
4. Single payer/AM950  2.22 3pm
5. Jewish Anti-Zionism 2.22 3pm

6. Food crisis         2.23 10:45am
7. Coldwater future    2.23 5pm
8. Peace walk          2.23 6pm RiverFalls WI
9. Budget hearings     2.23-26 6pm
10. Amnesty Intl       2.23 7pm
11. New US renaissance 2.23 7:30

12. M & O Neumann - Remove Our Grandmother's Name from Wall at Yad Vashem

--------1 of 12--------

From: scot b <earthmannow [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Stillwater vigil 2.22 1pm

From: Lydia Howell <lydiahowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Bubble economy 2.22 1pm

sun.1PM; DEAN BAKER on CSPAN2 BOOK TV

Dean Baker, Plunder and Blunder:The Rise and Fall of the Bubble Economy
Sunday FEB.22, 1 PM cst, on C-SPAN 2 BOOK TV (cable)

--------3 of 12--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: RNC litigation 2.22 2pm

RNC Civil Litigation Workshop
Sunday, February 22, 2:00 to 4:30 p.m. Bedlam Theatre, Rehearsal Space,
1501 South 6th Street, Minneapolis.

The workshop will provide information about filing Notice of Claim forms
to let Ramsey County and the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul know that
you might file a civil suit at some point in the future. Come find out
about your options for filing a civil suit to address the wrongs you
suffered during the Republican National Convention (RNC). Lawyers from the
National Lawyers Guild will be on hand to answer all burning questions.
Coleen Rowley has used her expertise and developed a form which WAMM
members and members of other groups can use. This is for individuals only.
WAMM, as an organization is not filing a claim. Organized by: Community
RNC Arrestee Support Structure (CRASS). Endorsed by: WAMM.

--------4 of 12--------

From: "Of the People" <info [at] jamesmayer.org>
Subject: Single payer/AM950 2.22 3pm

Encore presentation-MN Universal Health Care: Making it a Reality and
Model for the U.S. Part III- Discussion with a representative from
Physicians for a National Health Program!

Join in THE CONVERSATION.  TUNE YOUR RADIO TO:
Of the People this Sunday, February 22 at 3 p.m. on AM950 KTNF (formerly
Air America Minnesota) with Host James Mayer.  Or stream us:
http://www.am950ktnf.com/listen

Join us for anencore presentation of the 3rd program of our series of
broadcasts about REAL Universal Single Payer Health care with Dr. Ann
Settgast, an internist in St. Paul, Minnesota at the Center for
International Health. She and host James Mayer discussed the urgent need
for and benefits of, Single Payer Universal Health Care and what we can do
to make it a reality. Listeners were asked to call in with examples of
what happens to the lives of people deprived of decent or adequate health
care, and with questions or suggestions about how to push our elected
representatives to make Universal, Single Payer a reality.

TUNE YOUR RADIO TO:
Of the People this Sunday, February 22 at 3 p.m. on AM950 KTNF (formerly
Air American Minnesota) with Host James Mayer or stream us:
http://www.am950ktnf.com/listen
[http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?et=1102468417717&e=001XTKnRmdHRitc3u7EZLxxy30GMrDeC4hWUIX8ZKE0Prg35WlL0EeY4WTnOECGgvX_hFk5mytEmfGHTayz46WM3rlOy6ejW4xsbwz3W_vJU-2WISvBh4QUAonkHo3x5hAz]

Threats to the health, strength and endurance of healthy democracy,
society and environment don't go away for the weekend.  Neither does the
bad news the corporate media establishment uses to make us feel alienated
from one another, shocked, depressed, or even helpless, and to distract us
from real priorities, realistic solutions and positive actions we can take
together.  But for a few weekend moments you can refresh and regenerate
your energy with James Mayer on Of the People, a place to go for good news
that the "news" corporations monopolizing our airwaves seldom let through:
people taking action together, on real solutions.

--------5 of 12--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Jewish Anti-Zionism 2.22 3pm

"The Road Less Traveled:" Twin Cities Jews Discuss Their Journeys to
Anti-Zionism
Sunday, February 22, 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. Bedlam Theater, 1501 South 6th
Street, Minneapolis.

Speakers will tell their personal stories. What does anti-Zionism mean to
them and how did they come to identify as anti-Zionist Jews? Featuring:
Lisa Albrecht, Ricardo Levins Morales, Josina Manu Maltzman, Karen Redleaf
and Flo Razowsky. Lots of time allotted for dialogue with the audience.
There will be snacks and drinks and plenty of lively conversation! Free
and open to the public. Organized by: the International Jewish
anti-Zionist Network-Twin Cities. Endorsed by: the WAMM Middle East
Committee. FFI: Call Karen Redleaf, 651-283-3495 or email
vegan14ever [at] yahoo.com.

--------6 of 12--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: Food crisis 2.23 10:45am

February 23: Minneapolis Branch American Association of University Women
Meeting. 9:30 AM: Interest Groups. 10:45 AM: The Food Crisis: Public and
Private Sector Response with Tom Verdoorn. Noon: Lunch. 1:15 PM: The Arts
and Academic Achievement: Exploring the Connections with Debra Engram.
2115 Stevens Avenue, Minneapolis.

--------7 of 12--------

From: Sue Ann <mart1408 [at] umn.edu>
Subject: Coldwater future 2.23 5pm

National Park Service Coldwater Park Planning Meeting
Monday, February 23, 2009
5-9 PM
VA Hospital, first floor auditorium
from www/friendsofcoldwater.org

The meeting appears to be an informational smorgasbord where interested
people move from station to station hearing about specific plans.  Please
plan to attend the full meeting if possible so our voices can be heard as
to the future of Coldwater.

Coldwater is an ancient geographical feature, predating human habitation
here, and is the last natural spring in Hennepin County. A special
designation could add protection since the surrounding area is highly
developed and slated for more development.

The Lower Minnesota River Watershed District is responsible for the toxic
Twin Cities airport area and the flow to the Spring while the Minnehaha
Creek Watershed District is only responsible for the Spring outflow. This
split protective designation makes it absolutely necessary that the
National Park Service vigilantly guard the source water to Coldwater.

There is agreement that buildings, roads and fences will be removed and
the campus replanted as a burr oak grove with prairie grasses-an oak
savanna. Decisions about the entrance road, parking, and whether to fill
in the basement of the Main Building or to let it act as a wetland buffer
are up for consideration. Placement of Coldwater Park paths and the
pathway surface material might be discussed.

Probably the most important question is whether to stabilize or remove the
Coldwater Spring House and reservoir.

Friends of Coldwater want to bring up the following points:

1) Additional Land

We would like to see the 23-acre Veterans Administration land between
Minnehaha Regional Park and Coldwater (54th to 56th streets) added to
Coldwater Park. The land is currently used as a dump site for construction
dirt and downed trees. Previously low-grade nuclear waste, probably
medical waste, was buried there. The Highway 55 reroute was raised about
five feet in this stretch to accommodate the flow to Coldwater.

Between Coldwater on the Mississippi blufftop--to be managed by the
National Park Service (NPS)--and the NPS island in the Mississippi River
directly below Coldwater, is undeveloped and deteriorating land with
exotic invasive vegetation.  Currently the land is owned by the Minnesota
Historical Society and would best be incorporated into Coldwater Park.

2) Allow access for spring water collection during the
"destruction-construction" period.

3) Leave the "Spirit Tree" (the old maple just north of the reservoir) in
place, as is; likewise the great weeping willow (even though it is not
indigenous). The indigenous white hawthorn and American mountain ash,
growing out of the reservoir wall on the east side, should also be left in
place.

The wild grape (associated with springs) on the Spring House should be
left.

4) Locate the road into the park on the west edge of the property,
paralleling the highway. That roadway already exists. Plan for parallel
parking and a turn around.

5) Consider wood chip paths, or a water permeable surface, not asphalt.
(Mountain bicyclists have caused extensive erosion damage to Mississippi
bluff parkland.)

6) The most crucial, fragile aspect of land restoration at Coldwater is
the hill behind the Spring. It will have to be stabilized above and below,
replanted, and possibly filled-in. The hill has been allowed to degenerate
into a buckthorn thicket with extensive silt erosion into the reservoir.
The invasive buckthorn shaded out indigenous plants whose roots would have
held the soil in place. Rocks from the disassembly of the labyrinth on the
hill next to the Spring and a fire ring were dumped into this ravine,
adding to unstable soil.

7) Shade is always associated with springs. Deforestation causes
desertification. If Coldwater's Spring House and the plethora of
surrounding exotic buckthorn trees were removed simultaneously, the Spring
might disappear underground until native cottonwood trees could grow.

During the destruction-construction period the warehouse on the south side
(opposite the Spring House) will be dismantled. Spring water flows from
beneath that structure. Shaving bare all the shade around Coldwater could
be very problematic.

8) Green Museum: A Place Where the Land is the Museum

Susu Jeffrey, compiled for Friends of Coldwater for more information
about Coldwater:  www.friendsofcoldwater.org

--------8 of 12--------

From: Nancy Holden <d.n.holden [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Peace walk 2.23 6pm RiverFalls WI

River Falls Peace and Justice Walkers. We meet every Monday from 6-7 pm on
the UWRF campus at Cascade Ave. and 2nd Street, immediately across from
"Journey" House. We walk through the downtown of River Falls. Contact:
d.n.holden [at] comcast.net. Douglas H Holden 1004 Morgan Road River Falls,
Wisconsin 54022

--------9 of 12--------

From: Anne R. Carroll <carrfran [at] qwest.net>
Subject: Budget hearings 2.23-26 6pm

[This is the only posting of this; if you want it for other days, please
SAVE it. -ed]

I thought you might be interested in the schedule for the House-Senate
bipartisan hearings on Governor Pawlenty's budget scheduled for next week.
The dates, locations and times are below.

If you would like to testify please sign up at www.house.mn  We are
gathering public input on the Governor's budget before the March 3 budget
forecast and in preparation for the House and Senate budget setting
processes.

I plan to attend the Woodbury and Saint Paul hearings.  We are also having
a series of greater Minnesota hearings late this week and I will be
traveling to Mankato.  If you would like the schedule for the greater
Minnesota hearing let me know.  Most legislators are attending one or more
hearings.

Monday, February 23

Woodbury
6:00 p.m.
Central Park Amphitheater, 8595 Central Park Place

Tuesday, February 24

Bloomington
7:00 p.m.
Bloomington City Hall, 1800 W Old Shakopee Rd

Minneapolis
6:00 p.m.
Minneapolis Park Board, 2117 West River Road

Wednesday, February 25

Burnsville
7:30 p.m.
Fairview Ridges Hospital, 201 E. Nicollet Blvd

White Bear Lake
6:30 p.m.
White Bear Lake High School - South Campus, 3551 McKnight Rd N

Thursday, February 26

St. Paul
6:00 p.m.
West Minnehaha Rec. Center in Frogtown, 685 Minnehaha Ave W

Plymouth
7:00 p.m.
Plymouth City Hall, 3400 Plymouth Blvd.

Coon Rapids
7:00 p.m.
Coon Rapids City Hall, 11155 Robinson Drive

Nora Slawik Chair, Early Childhood Finance and Policy Division State
Representative, District 55B Oakdale and southern Maplewood 403 State
Office Building 100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Saint Paul, MN
55155 651-296-7807

--------10 of 12--------

From: Gabe Ormsby <gabeo [at] bitstream.net>
Subject: Amnesty Intl 2.23 7pm

Augustana Homes Seniors Group meets on Monday, February 23rd, from 7:00 to
8:00 p.m. in the party room of the 1020 Building, 1020 E 17th Street,
Minneapolis. For more information contact Ardes Johnson at 612/378-1166 or
johns779 [at] tc.umn.edu.

--------11 of 12--------

From: Info from John Kolstad
Subject: New US renaissance 2.23 7:30

Tom's Schneider Drug Store forum
University Av at Bedford, across from KSTP, M/StP border.

Thirty years of Reagan et al created the problems that now create the
opportunity for a New American Renaissance - a move from reaction to
progress. But only with our vision, cooperation, and effort. Open
discussion.

--------12 of 12--------

To the President of the State of Israel and the Director of the Yad Vashem
Memorial
Remove Our Grandmother's Name from the Wall at Yad Vashem
By MICHAEL NEUMANN
and OSHA NEUMANN
cp
Weekend Edition
February 20 / 22, 2009

Following the example of Jean-Moise Braitberg, we ask that our
grandmother's name be removed from the wall at Yad Vashem.  Her name is
Gertrud Neumann.   Your records state that she was born in Kattowitz on
June 6, 1875 and died in Theresienstadt.

M. Braitberg delivers his request with excellent reasons and eloquent
personal testimony.   His words are inspiring, but they give you - and
those who stand with you - too much credit.  I will instead be brief.
Please take this as an expression of my disgust and contempt for your
state and all it represents.

Our grandmother was a victim of that very ideal of ethnic sovereignty in
whose cause Israel has shed so much blood for so long.  I was among the
many Jews who thought nothing of embracing that ideal, despite the
sufferings it had inflicted on our own race.  It took thousands of
Palestinian lives before, finally, I realized how foolish we had been.

Our complicity was despicable.  I do not believe that the Jewish people,
in whose name you have committed so many crimes with such outrageous
complacency, can ever rid itself of the shame you have brought upon us.
Nazi propaganda, for all its calumnies, never disgraced and corrupted the
Jews; you have succeeded in this.  You haven't the courage to take
responsibility for your own sadistic acts:  with unparalleled insolence,
you set yourself up as spokesmen for an entire race, as if our very
existence endorsed your conduct.  And you blacken our names not only by
your acts, but by the lies, the coy evasions, the smirking arrogance and
the infantile self-righteousness with which you embroider our history.

In the end, you will give the Palestinians some scrap of a state.  You
will never pay for your crimes and you will continue to preen yourself, to
bask in your illusions of moral ascendancy.  But between now and the end,
you will kill and kill and kill, gaining nothing by your spoilt-brat
brutality.  In life, our grandmother suffered enough.  Stop making her a
party to this horror in her death.

Michael Neumann

I join my brother, Michael Neumann, in asking that any reference to our
grandmother be removed from Yad Vashem, the Holocaust memorial.

I have been to this memorial.  Its buildings, paved courtyards and plazas
spread themselves authoritatively over many landscaped acres.  It frames
the Holocaust as a prelude to the creation of the state of Israel.  It
embalms memorabilia of the death camps and preserves them as national
treasures. That treasure does not belong to Israel. It is a treasure only
if it serves as a reminder never to permit any nation to claim an
exemption for its chosen people from the bounds of morality and decency.

Israel has twisted the Holocaust into an excuse for perpetrating more
holocausts. It has spent the treasure of the world's sympathy for the
victims of the Holocaust on a fruitless effort to shield itself from all
criticism as it massacres and tortures Palestinians and suffocates them
under a brutal occupation. I do not wish to have the memory of my
grandmother enlisted in this misbegotten project.

I grew up believing that Jews were that ethnic group whose historical
mission was to transcend ethnicity in a united front against Fascism. To
be Jewish was to be anti-Fascist.  Israel long ago woke me from my
dogmatic slumber about the immutable relationship of Jews to Fascists.
It has engineered a merger between the image of Jewish torturers and war
criminals and that of emaciated concentration camp victims. I find this
merger obscene. I want no part of it. You have forfeited the right to be
the custodian of my grandmother.s memory. I do not wish Yad Vashem to be
her memorial.

Osha Neumann

The  Braitberg letter, in French can be found at
http://www.lemonde.fr/opinions/article/2009/01/28/effacez-le-nom-de-mon-grand-pere-a-yad-vashem_1147635_3232.html

and the translaton here:
http://www.bilin-village.org/english/articles/different-look/Erase-my-grandfather-s-name-at-Yad-Vashem

Michael Neumann is a professor of philosophy at a Canadian university.
He is the author of What's Left: Radical Politics and the Radical Psyche
and The Case Against Israel.  He also contributed the essay, "What is
Anti-Semitism", to CounterPunch's book, The Politics of Anti-Semitism.
He can be reached at mneumann [at] live.com

Osha Neumann is a defense lawyer in Berkeley and author of Up Against the
Wall MotherF**ker: a Memoir of the 60s with Notes for Next Time.