Progressive Calendar 01.18.09
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:37:10 -0800 (PST)

1. Atheist talks      1.18 9am/2pm/7pm
2. Stillwater vigil   1.18 1pm
3. Ban torture        1.18 1pm
4. Health/Mayer       1.18 3pm
5. Amnesty Intl       1.18 3pm

6. MLK Day HC actions 1.19 7am/9:30am/10:30am/11am/1pm
7. Poverty            1.19 9:30am
8. Palestine/MLK      1.19 3:30pm
9. Peace walk         1.19 6pm RiverFalls WI
10. Jerusalem/film    1.19 6:30pm
11. Cam Gordon        1.19 7pm
12. Gaza/Israel       1.19 7pm
13. Oxfam Action      1.19 7pm

14. Brian Cloughley - Who runs America? The power of AIPAC
15. Rannie Amiri    - The UN in Israel's crosshairs; nowhere to hide
16. Missy Beattie   - Ongoing US exceptionalism; peace & justice denied
17. Vijay Prashad   - An African-American in Gaza; the UN equals zero
18. ed              - Capital-ism  (poem)

--------1 of 18-------

From: August Berkshire <augustberkshire [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Atheist talks 1.18 9am/2pm/7pm

Atheist Ex-Minister Dan Barker to Appear in Twin Cites on Sunday,
January 18, 2009

Dan Barker, co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF)
(http://ffrf.org), will be in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area to speak about
and sell and sign his new book "Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher
Became One of America's Leading Atheists" FFRF is the country's largest
atheist organization with 14,000 members.  His visit is sponsored by
Minnesota Atheists (http://MinnesotaAtheists.org ).

Sunday, January 18, 2009

9:00-10:00 a.m. - Dan will be the guest on Minnesota Atheists' "Atheists
Talk" radio program.  KTNF AM 950 or stream live on-line at
am950ktnf.com/listen.  Studio call-in number: 952-946-6205 or e-mail
questions to radio [at] mnatheists.org.

2:00-3:30 p.m. - Dan will be the speaker at the Minnesota Atheists
meeting, Ramsey Country Public Library, 2180 Hamline Ave. N. (Hamline Ave.
N. & County Road B), Roseville.  Free and open to the public.  This will
be followed by dinner at 4:00 p.m. at the Panda Garden Buffet, 1706
Lexington Ave. N. (Lexington Ave. N. & Larpenteur Ave.  W.), Roseville.

7:00 p.m. - Dan will appear at Borders Bookstore, 1390 University Ave. W.
(University Ave. W. & Hamline Ave. N.), Saint Paul.

For more information, contact August Berkshire at (612) 588-7031 or
info [at] mnatheists.org .

--------2 of 18--------

From: scot b <earthmannow [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Stillwater vigil 1.18 1pm

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Ban torture 1.18 1pm

Campaign to Ban Torture: Chris Morton
January 18, 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Central Lutheran Church, 333 South 12th
Street, Minneapolis.

Hear Chris Morton from the Minnesota Council of Churches speak about his
involvement in the National Religious Campaign Against Torture. The
campaign against torture is a growing membership committed to ending
U.S.-sponsored torture. More than 200 groups from various religions now
are involved in the campaign. Sponsored by: the ELCA Minneapolis and Saint
Paul Area Synods Peace with Justice Committee. Endorsed by: Tackling
Torture at the Top (T3) and the St. Joan of Arc/WAMM Peacemakers. FFI:
Call, 612-870-4416.

--------4 of 18--------

From: "Of the People" <info [at] jamesmayer.org>
Subject: Health/Mayer 1.18 3pm

Of the People this Sunday, January 18th at 3 p.m. on AM950 KTNF (formerly
Air America Minnesota) with Host James Mayer.  Or stream us:
http://www.am950ktnf.com/listen
Call-in line: 952-946-6205

"Privatization" of government services, especially in the health service
industry, and especially for our elderly, destroys the safety nets which
were set in place by the government to protect us all from the so-called
"free market" predators.  We can protect ourselves and our loved ones from
them by joining together and putting to work government of, by and for the
people.

This Sunday, Of the People will present an easy and inspiring formula for
success by a local group that shut down its county board's "not-so-open"
attempts to destroy, and subvert the expansion and development of, a
county nursing home facility and its dedicated staff in order to replace
it with a "private" facility waiting in the wings.

Our guests will take us through the simple and effective steps that led to
the people of the county asserting their will to secure the future of
their valuable county health facility by a large margin in a recent
referendum. Join James and his guests, Kim Dupre and Norm Matzek on the
Program of the People this Sunday afternoon at 3 on AM950 KTNF.

Threats to the health, strength and endurance of healthy democracy,
society and environment don't go away for the weekend. For a few weekend
moments you can refresh and regenerate your energy with James Mayer on Of
the People, a place to go for good news that the "news" corporations
monopolizing our airwaves seldom let through:  people taking action
together, on real solutions.

We hope you will tune your radio to 950 AM and join us not only in your
car, but at home as well, or stream us:http://www.am950ktnf.com/listen
(You will be asked to put in a MN zip code).

Again, when we're on-air we invite you to call us at 952-946-6205 or
e-mail us at info [at] jamesmayer.org

Off-air, you can reach us by calling James Mayer at 651-238-3740, by
e-mail at info [at] jamesmayer.org, or by U.S. mail, address: James Mayer, 970
Raymond Ave, St. Paul, MN 55114.

--------5 of 18-------

From: Gabe Ormsby <gabeo [at] bitstream.net>
Subject: Amnesty Intl 1.18 3pm

GROUP 37 JANUARY MEETING REMINDER: SUNDAY, JANUARY 18 - 3 TO 5 P.M.

Join us for our regular meeting on Sunday, January 18th, from 3:00 to 5:00
p.m.

While our presenter has not yet been finalized, we expect to have a
program for the first hour.

For the remainder of the meeting, we will share actions on human rights
cases around the world and get updates on the work of our sub-groups.

All are welcome, and refreshments will be provided.

Location: Center for Victims of Torture, 717 E. River Rd. SE, Minneapolis
(corner of E. River Rd. and Oak St.). Park on street or in the small lot
behind the center (the Center is a house set back on a large lawn).

A map and directions are available on-line:
http://www.twincitiesamnesty.org/meetings.html

--------6 of 18--------

From: Joel Albers <joel [at] uhcan-mn.org>
Subject: MLK Day HC actions 1.19 7am/9:30am/10:30am/11am/1pm

Here's the logistics info for MLK Day. Feel free to participate during any
and all parts of the day. We need folks to distribute Health Care flyers,
march, be present at the program, and table after the program. Pls call me
or email if you plan to participate for UHCAN-MN.

7AM to 9:30AM MLK Neighborhood breakfast, Central Presby Church, 500 Cedar
St, St Paul, free breakfast registration deadline is tomorrow,(go to
www.spacc.org).

9:30 - 10:30 AM Central High School (Lexiongton and Marshall aves
intersection,St Paul) MLK Program, UHCAN-MN will flyer after as folks
exit, meet in back outside the High school at the big MLK puppet to march.
We will also have a big "publicly-funded HC"  banner.

10:30AM to 11:00 AM March from Central HC down Marshall to Concordia
College.

11:00AM to 1PM MLK program at Concordia, a lot of speeches. Our flyer will
be added to the 3,000 packets on everybody's seat.

1PM - 3PM UHCAN-MN Tabling at Ed Fair after program.

--------7 of 18--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: Poverty 1.19 9:30am

January 19: Minneapolis Branch American Association of University Women
Meeting. 9:30 AM: A Dream of Minnesota Without Poverty with Amy Brenengen
and Andrea Lindgren, both from the Office on the Economic Status of Women.
10:45: Current Issues in Urban Education with Dr. Tony Vincent. Noon
Lunch. 1:15: We Are All Storytellers with Jerry Blue. 2115 Stevens Avenue,
Minneapolis.

--------8 of 18--------

From: Women Against Military Madness <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Palestine/MLK 1.19 3:30pm

"Stop Israel's War Crimes Against the Palestinian People in Gaza -
Women and Children's Vigil for Peace and Justice
Monday, January 19, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. Northeast Public Library, 2200
Central Avenue Northeast, Minneapolis.

Minneapolis Joins National Days of Action in Honor of Reverend Dr. Martin
Luther King, Jr. Stop the Killing of the Palestinian People! Stop the War
and Siege on Gaza! End All U.S. Aid to Israel! End the Israeli Occupation
of Palestine!

On January 19, 2009, people all across the United States will celebrate
the life, legacy, and birthday of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.,
who was assassinated by a racist's bullet on April 4, 1968. Dr. King was
one of the foremost leaders of the Black civil rights movement in this
country, an organizer extraordinaire for peace and justice, and an
eloquent orator who challenged racism, injustice, and oppression
everywhere.

Exactly one year before he was killed, in a speech entitled "Beyond
Vietnam: A Time to Break Silence," Dr. King called the U.S. government and
military the "greatest purveyor of violence in the world today."  These
words are especially significant today, as the U.S. government continues
its unequivocal support of the Israeli military's criminal bombardment and
massacre of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.

Approximately 920 Palestinians have been killed since the Israeli attacks
on Gaza began 17 days ago, with over 4,200 injured, according to Israeli
newspaper Haaretz. Close to 300 of the dead are children, 93 are women,
and 49% of the injured are women or children; all of these figures are
from the United Nations.

The thousands and thousands of Black civil rights organizers and
activists, with Dr. King as one of their representatives, were people of
courageous action, many of whom gave their lives to the struggle for Black
liberation, and they would not have stood idly by while this new war on
the Palestinians is being waged.

Sponsored by: the Coalition for Palestinian Rights, WAMM and the Antiwar
Committee. FFI: Call 612-437-0222.

From: Nancy Holden <d.n.holden [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Peace walk 1.19 6pm RiverFalls WI

River Falls Peace and Justice Walkers. We meet every Monday from 6-7 pm on
the UWRF campus at Cascade Ave. and 2nd Street, immediately across from
"Journey" House. We walk through the downtown of River Falls. Contact:
d.n.holden [at] comcast.net. Douglas H Holden 1004 Morgan Road River Falls,
Wisconsin 54022