Dec 7 Panel: Solidarity Born of Love
From: luce (luceriseup.net)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:16:49 -0800 (PST)
Join EWOK! for a special event on the 3rd anniversary of the Green Scare...

What: "Solidarity Born of Love": a panel on political prosecution and
incarceration, from the perspective of family and friends

Who: Jenny Esquivel, partner of Green Scare prisoner Eric McDavid
Aaron Zellhoefer, of SHAC 7 prisoner Kevin Kjonaas' support committee
Fred Peterson, husband of political prisoner Sara Jane Olsen
Leslie James Pickering, former ELF spokesperson

When: 7:30 pm, Sunday, December 7th, 2008

Where: 2615 E. Franklin Ave., Minneapolis (thanks to the Animal Rights
Coalition for donating the space!)

Cost: $5-15 suggested donation, all proceeds go towards prisoner support

no one turned away for lack of funds; childcare provided.

When the State targets people for harassment, prosecution and incarceration,
they do more than repress individuals.  Friends, family, loved ones, are
punished, entire communities are disrupted, immeasurable strains are
imposed on
those who care about these targets of state repression.  With 21 felony cases
resulting from the recent RNC in St. Paul, on the 3rd anniversary of the
Green
Scare* and our 2nd birthday, EWOK! is taking December 7th as a chance to
reflect on the real effects the criminal "justice" system has on our
communities, and to recognize the invaluable contributions of those on the
outside who stand strong and support political arrestees and prisoners when
such support is both difficult to provide and necessary to survive.

The term "Green Scare" refers to the federal government's expanding
prosecution
efforts against radical environmental and animal rights activists.  The term
has now been widely used to describe an early 2006 sweep of arrests,
convictions and grand jury indictments of alleged ELF/ALF activists on
charges
relating to acts of property damage, conspiracy, arson and use of destructive
devices dubbed "Operation Backfire"; similar indictments and convictions
in the
Midwest since then; the cases of the SHAC7, Eric McDavid and Rod Coronado; as
well as recent repressive legislation such as the Animal Enterprise Terrorism
Act, which attempts to turn activists into "terrorists."

ffi: http://www.midwestgreenscare.org

--
"I had been rowing back and forth, in a relentless manner, between two
banks of a wide river.  Increasingly, what I wanted was to be a burning

--
"I had been rowing back and forth, in a relentless manner, between two
banks of a wide river.  Increasingly, what I wanted was to be a burning
boat in the middle of the water, visible to both shores yet indecipherable
in my fury."
A movement is only as strong as its prisoner support.
http://www.midwestgreenscare.org
fightthegreenscare [at] riseup.net