Experimental College of the Twin Cities
From: Deb Chaulk (deb_chaulkhotmail.com)
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 18:23:57 -0800 (PST)

For Immediate Release                                                  Contact:
David Boehnke
November 15, 2008
651.212.0727  |  651.696.8010

          dboehnke [at] gmail.com

Experimental College Seeks Community Facilitators for Spring Classes

Have you been looking for a community that values freedom of thought,
thoughtful discussion and dialogue on meaningful topics that cover the full
range of the human condition—from philosophical to the utterly practical?
Consider the Experimental College of the Twin Cities or EXCO—locally grown,
cage-free education since 2006.

EXCO is an organization that creates opportunities in the community for people
who want to learn; we work with facilitators to find spaces for their classes
manage a website that help connect learners with teachers, and support the free
exchange of knowledge. Our mission is to liberate education from the idea that
learning is something one "must" do, that only experts have knowledge, that we
can only access education if we can afford tuition—and transform it into
something desirable, powerful, and accessible for all. At EXCO, everyone can
teach or take classes and all classes are free.

We believe that education can be a powerful force for social change, especially
when we value the knowledge of each and every person--particularly those that
have been historically marginalized. We encourage all people to apply and take
part, and are dedicated to undoing and transforming oppression at personal,
interpersonal, and institutional levels. Moreover, we see our organizing as
building an infrastructure for communities and movements to create their own
education to meet their needs and desires—self-educate with EXCO!

EXCO is currently looking for community facilitators for this spring and
summer. The subject matter and format of your class is your decision—classes
can cover any topic, and can be taught anywhere in the Twin Cities. Teaching an
EXCO class can help build community, shares useful skills or  knowledge,
address local issues, intentionally bring together people from different
communities, or simply be a creative excuse to meet new people who share
similar passions and joys.

EXCO facilitators are volunteers. However, when possible, EXCO provides money
for supplies and an honorarium for up to $300 for those who cannot facilitate a
class otherwise. We strongly encourage interested individuals to access our
online application at http://www.EXCOtc.org.  Have more questions? Thinking of
facilitating a class and want ideas about getting started? Contact us at excotc
[at] gmail.com, 651-696-8010.

Still not sure?  Twin Cities Metro magazine chose EXCO as one of the top 100
best things about the cities.  EXCO came in at  number 5!  See what they had to
say:

5. Experimental CollegeEveryone experiments in college. Some do keg stands;
others blow up all of our preconceived notions about the American educational
system. The Experimental College was founded in 2006 by a collective of
Macalester students with a vision of offering an alternative to your everyday
$50,000 bachelor’s degree. By allowing anyone to teach whatever they like in
improvised classrooms (libraries, mostly, though “Basic Bike Maintenance”
convenes at the Sibley Bike Depot in St. Paul), ExCo takes crippling debt out
of the education equation. No accredited teachers or degrees, but also no
homework or tuition. Here! [excotc.org]
Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail.
http://windowslive.com/Explore/Hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_hotmail_acq_access_112008