Progressive Calendar 11.17.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 06:46:11 -0800 (PST)

1. Vs RNC grand jury    11.17 8:30am
2. Biofuel/starve       11.17 10:45am
3. Peace walk           11.17 6pm RiverFalls WI
4. Torture/film         11.17 6:30pm
5. Journalism - dead?   11.17 7pm
6. Vets Day 4 kids      11.17 7pm
7. Oxfam Action         11.17 7pm
8. City web site tour   11.17 7pm
9. Kip Sullivan/health  11.17 7:30pm
10. Willie Murphy b-day 11.17 7:30pm

11. Charley Underwood - RNC: my letter to the Heffelfinger commission
12. Grace Kelly       - RNC: Why tear gas, pepper spray & flash bangs?
13. Charley Underwood - Fletcher justifies police violence during RNC
14. Michael Cavlan    - Police torture protesters during RNC
15. Grace Kelly       - Why must cops preview StP videos before release?
16. Louis Proyect     - The early days Of The Nation Magazine

--------1 of 16--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Vs RNC grand jury 11.17 8:30am

Monday, 11/17, 8:30 am, People's Fishing Expedition: put on your fishing
clothes and bring your gear, to protest the Grand Jury fishing expedition
into RNC protests, Federal Courthouse, 300 S 4th St, Mpls.

--------2 of 16--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: Biofuel/starve 11.17 10:45am

Minneapolis Branch American Association of University Women. 9:30 - 10:30:
A Morning with Emily Dickinson with Maggie Pistner. 10:45 - 11:45 AM: How
Biofuels Starve the Poor. Noon - 1:15 PM: Luncheon. 1:15 - 2:15 PM: The
Aging Spine with Erica Visto. 2115 Stevens Ave., Minneapolis.

                  [feed a car - starve a person]

--------3 of 18--------

From: Nancy Holden <d.n.holden [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Peace walk 11.17 6pm RiverFalls WI

River Falls Peace and Justice Walkers. We meet every Monday from 6-7 pm on
the UWRF campus at Cascade Ave. and 2nd Street, immediately across from
"Journey" House. We walk through the downtown of River Falls. Contact:
d.n.holden [at] comcast.net. Douglas H Holden 1004 Morgan Road River Falls,
Wisconsin 54022

--------4 of 16--------

From: "wamm [at] mtn.org" <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Torture/film 11.17 6:30pm

FREE Third Monday Movies and Discussion: "Taxi to the Dark Side"

Monday, November 17, 6:30 p.m. St. Joan of Arc Church, 4537 Third Avenue
South, Minneapolis. An in-depth look at the torture practices of the
United States in Afghanistan, Iraq and Guantanamo Bay, focusing on an
innocent taxi driver in Afghanistan who was tortured and killed in 2002.
Sponsored by: the WAMM Third Monday Movies Committee. FFI: Call WAMM,

From: Lydia Howell <lydiahowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Journalism - dead? 11.17 7pm

The National Press Club Comes to Minneapolis

Does Journalism Have a Future?
Monday, November 17, 7:00 p.m.
Coffman Memorial Union Theater
Free and open to the public

To celebrate its centennial, the National Press Club is organizing forums
across the country on the First Amendment, freedom of the press and the
future of journalism. A panel of leading local journalists will discuss
where the news business is going and how to preserve its core values.

Panelists include Thom Fladung, Editor, St. Paul Pioneer Press; Nancy
Barnes, Editor, Star Tribune; Joel Kramer, CEO and Editor, MinnPost; Nora
Paul, Director, Institute for New Media Studies, and Moderator, Alan
Bjerga, Bloomberg News and National Press Club treasurer.

This forum is part of a nationwide conversation the National Press Club is
holding during its 100th anniversary to look at where the news business is
going and what news consumers should be demanding. Schedules and video
highlights of forums in other states can be found on the Club's Web site:
www.press.org.