Progressive Calendar 11.14.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:24:10 -0800 (PST)

1. Palestine vigil   11.14 4:15pm
2. Ehrenreich        11.14 6pm
3. Moyers/MidEast    11.14 9pm
4. Catholic sword/f  11.14 9:15pm

5. Peace walk        11.15 9am Cambridge MN
6. RNC8/rummage sale 11.15 10am
7. Green gifts fair  11.15 10am
8. NWN4P Mtka        11.15 11am
9. Mpls GP plan      11.15 12noon
10. Prop 8 protests  11.15 12:30pm Mpls StP Duluth Fargo
11. NWN4P GoldenVall 11.15 1:30pm
12. Northtown vigil  11.15 2pm
13. RCTA 25th anniv  11.15 5:30pm
14. Smash empire/CTV 11.15 9pm
15. Bioneers/Klein   11.15-16

16. Mpls hosp tour   11.16 11am
17. Stillwater vigil 11.16 1pm
18. Women/war/peace  11.16 2pm
19. Fetzer/JFK       11.16 2pm
20. Amnesty Intl     11.16 3pm
21. Peace activists  11.16 4pm
22. Prog pol hip-hop 11.16 8pm

23. Charley Underwood - RNC: my letter to the Heffelfinger commission
24. Ralph Nader       - Obama & the rogue regime of systemic criminality
25. Lance Selfa       - A "center-right nation"?
26. Joel Hirschhorn   - A new political party is needed
27. Glenn Greenwald   - The Dems of 2002 and 2007 haven't gone anywhere

--------1 of 27--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Palestine vigil 11.14 4:15pm

Friday, 11/14, 4:15 to 5:30 pm, vigil to end US military/political support
of the Israeli occupation of Palestine, corner Summit and Snelling, St
Paul.

--------2 of 27--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: Ehrenreich 11.14 6pm

November 14: Jobs NOW 25th Birthday featuring Barbara Ehrenreich. Cocktail
Reception, the Minnesota 150 Exhibit, funny stories, a great dinner, 150
years of worker milestones, a live auction, a silent auction, and more. 6
- 9:30 PM at the Minnesota History Center. Tickets: $50 per person. More
information: 651-290-0240.

--------3 of 27--------

From: t r u t h o u t <messenger [at] truthout.org>
Subject: Moyers/MidEast 11.14 9pm

Bill Moyers Journal | Middle East Policy
http://www.truthout.org/111208U

On Bill Moyers Journal Friday: "What will President-elect Obama's promises
of change mean for the Middle East? Journal guest host Deborah Amos sits
down with Elizabeth Rubin, the Edward R. Murrow press fellow at the
Council on Foreign Relations, and Slate magazine columnist Fred Kaplan."

--------4 of 27--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Catholic sword/f 11.14 9:15pm

11/14 to 11/18, 9:15 pm, former priest James Carroll's documentary
"Constantine's Sword," tracing the Catholic Church's transformation of
cross into sword during emperor Constantine, the Crusades, through
anti-Semitism under Pius XII during the Holocaust, Oak St Cinema, 309 Oak
St SE, Mpls.  http://www.mnfilmarts.org

--------5 of 27--------

From: Ken Reine <reine008 [at] umn.edu>
Subject: Peace walk 11.15 9am Cambridge MN

every Saturday 9AM to 9:35AM
Peace walk in Cambridge - start at Hwy 95 and Fern Street

--------6 of 27--------

From: Eric Angell <eric-angell [at] riseup.net>
Subject: RNC8/rummage sale 11.15 10am

CALL FOR DONATIONS!
Clean Out Your Closets for the RNC 8 DEFENSE FUND!
Then, come shop for justice!!!!

The RNC 8 are young activists who organized a support infrastructure for
people to come to St.Paul to protest the Republican National Convention:
food, housing, first aid, legal support. In house raids BEFORE the
convention even started, these young people were arrested and charged with
felony level "inciting to riot in the furtherance of terrorism"--and face
7+ years in prison. These are the first cases charged under the Minnesota
state PATRIOT Act and must be resisted!

SAT. NOV. 15
10am to 6pm
RUMMAGE SALE for the RNC 8!
Walker Community Church 3104-16th Avenue South Minneapolis

BOOKS! Music & Movies! Clothes! Household goods! Posters/ART! CHILDREN'S
STUFF--from toys to clothes!
DROP OFF ITEMS THE DAY OF THE SALE Sat. Nov. 15: 8:30am to 11am
We have a (LIMITED) ability to PICK UP your stuff the day before the sale.
ONLY CALL FOR PICK UP IF YOU REALLY NEED IT! ***(612)874-7867***

--------7 of 27--------

From: Do It Green! Minnesota <Do_It_Green_Minnesota [at] mail.vresp.com>
Subject: Green gifts fair 11.15 10am

YOUR ONE CHANCE TO DO ALL OF YOUR GREEN HOLIDAY SHOPPING IN ONE PLACE!
Kick-off this holiday season by going green at the 3rd Annual Green
Gifts Fair brought to you by Do It Green! Minnesota.

3rd Annual Green Gifts Fair
Saturday, November 15th 10am-5pm
Midtown Global Market, Minneapolis
Lake Street & 10th Avenue

* SHOP 65+ local retailers and artists for green, recycled, and organic
gifts.

 * LEARN about green holiday decorating, wrapping, and food and party
ideas, and homemade gifts.
 * EAT a local lunch at many of the restaurants at the market and sample
local holiday foods with local chef demos.
 * CELEBRATE the new 2009 Do It Green! Magazine's kick-off, attend the
eco fashion show, or listen to local musicians.
 * REDUCE bring your own cloth shopping bags and reusable coffee mug for
$1 organic coffee at Mapps Coffee & Tea in the market.

This event is brought to you by Do It Green! Minnesota, the Midtown
Global Market, the City of Minneapolis, City Pages, KFAI and Metro
Transit.

Click below for the event schedule and to view a list of vendors and
workshops:

3rd Annual Green Gifts Fair, Nov 15
http://cts.vresp.com/c/?twincitiesgreenguide/3b8f52062e/8acadfd1b4/597b33d5cb

--------8 of 27--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: NWN4P Mtka 11.15 11am

NWN4P-Minnetonka demonstration- Every Saturday, 11 AM to noon, at Hwy. 7
and 101.  Park in the Target Greatland lot; meet near the
fountain. We will walk along the public sidewalk. Signs available.

--------9 of 27--------

From: Dan Dittmann <dan [at] dandittmann.org>
Subject: Mpls GP plan 11.15 12noon

On Saturday November 15, the Fifth Congressional District Green Party will
hold a 2009 Planning meeting to discuss strategy for the City elections.
This meeting will be at 12 p.m. Individuals who are interested should meet
at my house at noon. We will walk over to Midtown Market for lunch. My
address is 3117 Elliot Ave South. Bus routes which run through the area
include 5 and 21.

The agenda has not been set in stone but will tentatively include a
discussion on wards to target as well as a discussion on issues. If there
are any questions, please call (952) 454-2377 or write to
dan [at] dandittmann.org.

--------10 of 27--------

From: Kevin C <kevinchavis [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Prop 8 protests 11.15 12:30pm Mpls StP Duluth Fargo

OutFront Minnesota wants to share information about this weekend's protests
against the passage of Prop 8 in California on November 4th, which
extinguished equal marriage rights for same-sex couples. Demonstrations are
being planned around the country as part of a strong grassroots response to
last week's vote.

Here is the information we have:

All protests are scheduled for Saturday, November 15th, 12:30 pm
 Minneapolis Hennepin County Government Center 350 S. 5th St, Minneapolis
 St. Paul Minnesota State Capitol 75 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Blvd
 Duluth/Superior MN Power Plaza at Lake Ave. and Superior Street
 Fargo/Moorhead Fargo (west) side of the Veterans Memorial Bridge on Main
Ave.

For more information go to JointheImpact (
http://jointheimpact.wetpaint.com/page/Minnesota )

OutFront Minnesota supports peaceful, legal protests. They are an
important component of civil rights movements. They have the capacity to
keep the equality message alive and active. Media may show up to cover the
protests - if you're interviewed, keep it positive (All we want is
equality under the law!). If you engage with counter-protesters, we
encourage you to keep it peaceful.

And remember - the defeat in California won't defeat our movement!
OUTFRONT MINNESOTA 310 38th Street East #204 Minneapolis, MN 55409
www.outfront.org Twin Cities: (612) 822-0127 Statewide: (800) 800-0350 310
E 38th Street, #204 | Minneapolis, MN 55409-1337 US

--------11 of 27--------

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: NWN4P GoldenValley 11.15 1:30pm

Saturday, 1:30-2:30 PM Golden Valley - NW Neighbors for Peace will hold
large banners on the pedestrian bridge over Highway 55, just west of
Winnetka, in Golden Valley every Saturday. There is plenty of parking in
the lot at the NW corner of the intersection; all are welcome. FYI Carole

From: Vanka485 [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 11.15 2pm

Peace vigil at Northtown (Old Hwy 10 & University Av), every Saturday

From: Jason Stone <jason.stone [at] yahoo.com>
Subject: RCTA 25th anniv 11.15 5:30pm

You are invited to the 25th Anniversary Celebration of the Resource Center
of the Americas Come Celebrate 25 years of Progressive Action and
Education- a time to reflect on past achievements and aspire to renewed
hopes and dreams!

Meet Resource Center of the Americas Staff and Board Members, rekindle old
friendships, meet new people, listen to live Latin American music and
poetry, hear about past accomplishments and future plans, and savor
delicious Mexican beverages, appetizers and dinner.

Latin American arts and crafts will be sold.
Saturday,November 15, 2008
5:30 - 9:00 pm
St. Paul's ELCA Fellowship Hall
2742 15th Ave S.
Minneapolis, MN 55407

$25.00 per person for reservations
To reserve your spot email your RSVP to pseudoscribe [at] gmail.com or mail
your check or money order to

Resource Center of the Americas
3019 Minnehaha Avenue, Suite 20

From: Eric Angell <eric-angell [at] riseup.net>
Subject: Smash empire/CTV 11.15 9pm   [alt title: Up empire's butt]

Lovely Minneapolis Television Network (MTN) viewers:
"Our World In Depth" cablecasts on MTN Channel 17 on Saturdays at 9pm and
Tuesdays at 8am, after DemocracyNow!  Households with basic cable may
watch.

** Sat, 11/15, 9pm and Tues, 11/18, 8am **
Phyllis Bennis.  Pt 2, audience questions and response after "Challenging
Empire" talk in St. Paul in April. (repeat)

--------15 of 27--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Bioneers/Klein 11.15-16

11/15 and 11/16, Northland Bioneers Conference with Naomi Klein (author
"Shock Doctrine"), global warming expert David Orr, bio-mimicry expert
Janine Benyus and more, Willey Hall, 225 - 19th Ave S, West Bank U of M,
Mpls.  http://www.nbconference.org

--------16 of 27--------

From: Joel Albers <joel [at] uhcan-mn.org>
Subject: Mpls hospital tour 11.16 11am

As discussed at monday nite's mtg, UHCAN-MN is sponsoring a fabulous
Walking Historic Tour of the Minneapolis Hospital District, Then and Now,
to highlight what can be learned from the past, what hospitals were like
and their conditions of care, who owned them?, why are there no more
public hospitals, comparisons of lengths of stay, costs, and many were
started by women. The focus will be on Asbury, St Barnabas, Swedish, and
Mpls General in historically developing terms to the present. Hope you can
attend. We would love to have folks there to comment on their experiences,
perhaps as patient or practitioner, with these hospitals.

It's sunday, Nov 16th,11AM, meet at Dunn Bros coffee shop, 811 11th ave
s., (a few blocks from the Metrodome, overlooking Elliot Park,if bad
weather, we'll do a slide show). The brochure for distribution to promote
the event is attached. It is in cooperation with HCMC History Museum, and
Elliot Park Neighborhood, inc.

Joel Albers Pharm.D., Ph.D. Clinical Pharmacist, Health Economics
Researcher Universal Health Care Action Network - MN Community/University
Collaborative Research www.uhcan-mn.org email: joel [at] uhcan-mn.org phone:
612-384-0973 address: 3500 35th ave S Mpls, MN, 55406

--------17 of 27--------

From: scot b <earthmannow [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Stillwater vigil 11.16 1pm

From: "wamm [at] mtn.org" <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Women/war/peace 11.16 2pm

Women, War and Peace: "Hearing Women's Stories of War and Creating
Initiatives for Peace"
Sunday, November 16, 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. University of St. Thomas,
McNeely 100, 2115 Summit Avenue, St. Paul.

A panel of women living in the Twin Cities who have experienced war in
their countries will share their stories. The panel includes Harper
McConnell from HealAfrica who worked in the Congo for two years, Rabbi Amy
Eilberg who was the first woman ordained in Conservative Judaism and Muna
Matar who is a professor at Bethlehem University in Palestine. Following
the panel presentation, audience members will participate in small group
conversations about their response, thoughts and possible action for peace
both personally and or community based. Tickets: $10.00 (Students: $5.00).
Endorsed by: WAMM. FFI: Visit <www.womenspirit-twincities.org> or call

From: DoriJJ [at] aol.com
Subject: Fetzer/JFK 11.16 2pm

On November 16, 2008, Dr.  James Fetzer will present "JFK Remembered" a
lecture on the results of his research into the assasination of President
John F.  Kennedy.  It will begin at 2:00 PM at the Bidget Host Inn &
Suites, 6010 Main Street, North Branch, MN 55056.

He has more than 100 slides and the infamous Zapruder Film.
Admission is  $10.

Contact Wade Olson 651-674-1866 or Dori Ullman 612-414-9528

--------20 of 27--------

From: Gabe Ormsby <gabeo [at] bitstream.net>
Subject: Amnesty Intl 11.16 3pm

GROUP 37 NOVEMBER MEETING REMINDER: SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 16 - 3 TO 5 P.M.

Join us for our regular meeting on Sunday, November 16th, from 3:00 to
5:00 p.m.

The program for our first hour has not yet been finalized. We will devote
some time to planning our Human Rights Day Write-a-thon, scheduled for
December 7th, and in our second hour, we will share actions on human
rights cases around the world and get updates on the work of our
sub-groups.

All are welcome, and refreshments will be provided.

Location: Center for Victims of Torture, 717 E. River Rd. SE, Minneapolis
(corner of E. River Rd. and Oak St.). Park on street or in the small lot
behind the center (the Center is a house set back on a large lawn).

A map and directions are available on-line:
http://www.twincitiesamnesty.org/meetings.html

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Peace activists 11.16 4pm

Sunday, 11/16, 4 pm, Hawkinson Foundation for Peace and Justice honors
Rhoda Gilman, Betsy Raasch-Gilman and Arvid "Bud" Dixen for lives of
peace activism, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 2730 E 31st St, Mpls.