Progressive Calendar 11.03.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 18:16:06 -0800 (PST)

1. Vote Amber not Betty 11.04 7am
2. Cavlan not Franken   11.04 7am
3. Stop cops at polls   11.04 7am
4. RNC/court watch      11.04 9am
5. Synthetic biology    11.04 11:30am
6. RNC CourtW/meet      11.04 6pm
7. Terrorizing Dissent  11.04 7pm
8. GP election party    11.04 7pm

9. Election talk/KFAI   11.05 11am
10. Islam               11.05 2pm/7pm
11. Vigil/prez/war      11.05 4:30pm
12. Election meaning    11.05 7pm

13. Jazz CD group

14. Boaz et al - Is the election about to be stolen in OH PA et al?

--------1 of 14--------

From: Amber Garlan <agarlan [at] hammclinic.org>
Subject: Vote Amber not Betty 11.04      [Amber Alert!]

Get the attention of 4th CD Rep. Betty McCollum on single payer health
care!  Write in Amber "Medicare for All" Garlan for 4th CD Rep.

I am dissatisfied with Congresswoman Betty McCollum's refusal to support
the national health care reform which would relieve all Americans from
worries about getting standard, medically-necessary health care. Cost, and
insurance company barriers, are real worries. I have health care insurance
now, but it does not provide me with a guarantee that my health care needs
will be paid for. It only provides me with a contract stating that some of
my health care needs will be paid for as long as I qualify for the
company's coverage. This is not acceptable to me. Nor am I content
with the glaring lack of access to health care services which many of my
fellow Americans suffer.

All Americans suffer from fears about how well our health care needs will
be met . . . I am merely more fortunate that my health care needs are
being attended to now, because I am lucky enough to have some insurance at
this time. I know, however, that I could easily lose this insurance
through no fault of my own. Therefore, I went to Congresswoman McCollum's
office in St. Paul, about two months ago, on August 19, and I brought 16
other people with me. They were all her constituents. They all wanted her
to pledge her support for the bill in Congress which would end our health
care worries immediately, HR 676. But she will not support it. She thinks
we need insurance companies to be invovled in our health care. That is
flawed thinking. Those companies are making money without guaranteeing
that Americans have standard, comprehensive health care. Those companies
are, instead, creating a mountainous tangle of confusing paperwork, and
making us pay people to push it around. Those companies are interfering
with the care and treatment decisions of my doctor and medical experts.
Those companies are using my insurance premium money to lobby
our Congresswoman that they need to be involved in my health care
decisions.  -Amber Garlan

-
from: Diane J. Peterson White Bear Lake, Minnesota birch7 [at] comcast.net

Thank goodness my friend, Amber Garlan, has decided to send a message to
our Congresswoman in the form of votes. Amber filed at the Minnesota
Secretary of State's office as a write-in candidate for Congress on
October 23. She is the "Medicare For All" candidate. McCollum is not on
board yet with that bill, HR 676, which creates a national system of
"Medicare For All."

Amber and I won't wait until we're 65 to get the peace of mind that we
will have all our medical needs taken care of at a reasonable cost. We
won't wait for McCollum to decide that poor Americans have a right to
decent health care even if they can't afford it themselves.

We are writing in "Amber Garlan"  on our ballots for the District 4
Congressional seat. Our goal is to get these votes counted, and revisit
Congresswoman McCollum after Election Day to see what her response is to
Amber's initiative. Amber has found a way to make her policy wishes heard
in the language politicans understand: real votes cast by dissatisfied
constituents. These will be real votes tabulated by the State of
Minnesota.  I am asking you to join me by writing in "Amber Garlan." I am
also asking you to spread this initiative to your acquaintances, and
especially to people in the health care professions.

Already, a medical doctor in my congregation who is also a member of
Physicians for a National Health Plan, has pledged to me that she will
write in "Amber Garlan."  One-on-one, we need to ask people who live
in Ramsey County (which comprises the Fourth Congressional District)
to do this.  Amber has vowed to refrain from spending even one nickel
on her campaign, freeing her from spending energy reporting into the
Federal Elections Commission.  She is relying on people power to
spread the word about her campaign.  This is a grassroots, people's
movement to throw off our health care shackles.  Defy the insurance
profiteers, who have enslaved us, and cast a vote for health care
freedom.

From: John Kolstad <jkolstad [at] millcitymusic.com>

Someone needs to challenge safe district Democrats that refuse to support
real health care solutions.  If Betty McCollum had spent even one hour
since she was elected actually looking at the recommendation of those who
independently study this issue or the entire rest of the Industrialized
World, she would know and support Universal Single Payer and HF 676.  A
cynical person might think she has to know that Single Payer is the
solution, but that she is not willing to take on the Health Insurance,
Drug and Medical Industry that is so benefiting from our current bad
public policy.  I don't know which it is, but it is not getting done for
whatever reason.

It seems pretty clear that the Democrats will dominate the US House and
Senate.  It is of no possible doubt that the Republicans Policies and
control has been a fiscal disaster.  What is seriously questionable is
whether the Democrats in the overwhelming majority will actually do
something to really solve the health care disaster or propose more
bandaids.  If history is an indicator, the Democrats, if they get the
large majority, will give lip service to really solving problems, but
will ultimately serve the excessively wealthy and powerful that controll
the government now, (And give $$$ for campaigns) and they will not pass
real solutions to pressing problems. (I hope I'm wrong, but.....)

So if the Democrats fail again, like they did the last time they had total
control of the Government, the public should be persuaded that Going back
to the Republicans is not a going to solve anything.  America needs a new
alternative.  Whether Green or Brown or Blue or Inde, there needs to be an
alternative to the Digital Political System we are forced to endure;
Digital is binary, either 0 or 1.  This is an analog world.  We can handle
more that two choices.

Therefore this write-in candidate is to be applauded and thanked.

Again, assuming the Dems will win against the Repubs, who have disgraced
themselves, their party and their supporters, As soon as the election is
over, we need to start a movement to contact all Members of Congress and
the Senate and let them know that if they don't stop working for the
benefit of the very wealthy and powerful and start working for the
"Commonwealth"  then we will collectively work to replace them with
someone, whether within one of the parties or not, who will work for those
who elected them.