Progressive Calendar 10.20.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 16:10:07 -0700 (PDT)

1. Health activism   10.20 7pm
2. Nader/NBC news    10.20 time?

3. N Scott Momaday   10.21 12:15pm
4. Hancock campaign  10.21 4pm
5. Lebanon/CTV       10.21 5pm
6. Planned 'hood     10.21 6pm
7. RNC court watch   10.21 6pm
8. Open harangues    10.21 6:30pm
9. Poetry/politics   10.21 7pm
10. Trade forum      10.21 7pm
11. Peace/activism   10.21 7:30pm

12. Relocalization   10.22 11:30am
13. Police brutality 10.22 4:30pm
14. RNC/raids/rights 10.22 5pm Northfield MN
15. Holy land?       10.22 7pm

16. Sue Ann Martinson - Dissent and democracy
17. Michael Hudson    - Licensed kleptocracy for years to come

--------1 of 17--------

From: Joel Albers <joel [at] uhcan-mn.org>
Subject: Health activism 10.20 7pm

Health Care Activism Class
3rd session this Monday, Oct 20, 7-9PM
U of MN See below.

This class will focus on building a media campaign (framing the
issue,messaging,talking points), what this town of artists have to say
about creative approaches,all of this from the spectrum of becoming the
media yourself and organizing in your own niche, using the essentials of
Talk,Table, Phone,Flyer;  to building a large network capable of changing
the entire visual landscape of our town.  And then putting it all together
and brainstorming on what actions we can do.

Facilitator: Joel M. Albers E-mail: joel [at] uhcan-mn.org Phone:
612-384-0973

Place: Phillips Wangensteen Building room 6-224, on U of M East Bank, bldg
entrance at Washington ave near Harvard Street, walk thru concourse to
PWB,see PWB sign, take elevator to 6th floor)

--------2 of 17--------

From: PRO826 [at] aol.com
Subject: Nader/NBC news 10.20 time?

Ralph gets mainstream media coverage:
Monday 10/20, NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams, check website for
time, please share with others and on this listserv please

--------3 of 17--------

From: fordlecture [at] umn.edu
Subject: N Scott Momaday 10.21 12:15pm

The Graduate School at the University of Minnesota University of Minnesota
Graduate School invites you to a free lecture by Pulitzer Prize-winning
author and poet laureate of Oklahoma N. Scott Momaday

The University of Minnesota Graduate School presents
he Guy Stanton Ford Memorial Lecture
NATIVE AMERICAN ORAL TRADITION-
THE STORIES AND STORYTELLERS
N. SCOTT MOMADAY

Winner of the Pulitzer Prize and
poet laureate of Oklahoma

TUESDAY, OCT. 21, 2008, 12:15PM
Ted Mann Concert Hall
2128 4th Street S., West Bank, Minneapolis
FREE & OPEN TO THE PUBLIC
www.grad.umn.edu

--------4 of 17--------

From: Allan Hancock <ahancock.gp [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Hancock campaign 10.21 4pm

GP candidate in Brooklyn Center. Come anytime between the times noted.
Appreciate an RSVP so we know the number for lunch or dinner. 763-561-9758
Thanks, Allan Hancock

October
Tue 21 Lit Drop  4PM-7PM
Sat 25 Lit Drop 10AM-6PM lunch included
Sun 26 Lit Drop 1PM-6PM come at 12:15 for lunch
Tue 28  Phone Bank Details Pending
Thur 30 Phone Bank Details Pending
Sun 2 Lit Drop 1PM-6PM come at 12:15 for lunch
Mon 3 Lit Drop 1PM-6PM come at 12:15 for lunch

--------5 of 17--------

From: Eric Angell <eric-angell [at] riseup.net>
Subject: Lebanon/CTV 10.21 5pm

St. Paul Neighborhood Network (SPNN) viewers:
"Our World In Depth" cablecasts on SPNN Channel 15 on Tuesdays at 5pm,
midnight and Wednesday mornings at 10am, after DemocracyNow!  All
households with basic cable may watch.

Tues, 10/21, 5pm & midnight and Wed, 10/22, 10am
"Tragedy in South Lebanon: The Israeli-Hezbollah War of 2006"
Author Cathy Sultan talks about her latest book and the media
under-reporting of Middle Eastern affairs.

--------6 of 17--------

From: Erin Parrish <erin [at] mnwomen.org>
Subject: Planned 'hood 10.21 6pm

October 21: Planned Parenthood Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota.
Celebrate Planned Parenthood with Pulitzer prize winning presidential
historian Doris Kearns Goodwin. Celebrate 80 years of service with a
silent auction and dinner to benefit Planned Parenthood MN, ND, SD. 6 - 10
PM at the Minneapolis Hilton. All new and increased donations will be
matched by a generous challenge grant by the Roger and Nancy McCabe
Foundation. Register.

--------7 of 17--------

From: Do'ii <syncopatingrhythmsabyss [at] gmail.com>
Subject: RNC court watch 10.21 6pm

RNC Court Watchers are in need of participants to help with organizing
court information, documentation and etc.  RNC Court Watchers Meetings are
every Tuesday, 6 P.M. at Caffeto's. Below is announcement for our
meetings.

Preemptive raids, over 800 people arrested, police brutality on the
streets and torture in Ramsey County Jail. Police have indiscriminately
used rubber bullets, concussion grenades, tasers and chemical irritants to
disperse crowds and incapacitate peaceful, nonviolent protesters. The
RNC-8 and others are facing felonies and years in jail. We must fight this
intimidation, harassment and abuse!

Join the RNC Court Solidarity Meeting this coming Tuesday at Caffetto's to
find out how you can make a difference in the lives of many innocent
people.

Caffetto's Coffeehouse and Gallery (612)872-0911 708 W 22nd Street,
Minneapolis, MN 55405
Every Tuesday @ 6:00 P.M to 7:00 P.M
participate and help organize RNC court solidarity.
For more information, please contact: rnccourtwatch [at] gmail.com
THE PEOPLE UNITED WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED!

--------8 of 17--------

From: patty <pattypax [at] earthlink.net>
Subject: Open harangues 10.21 [ed head]

Tuesday, Oct. 21, it is Open Discussion time at the Conversational Salon.
We come together to give all of us a chance to open our minds and talk and
listen to what others have to say, and leave with more knowledge and open
minds.  Hope you can make it. Thanks, patty

Remember:  Jesus was a community organizer and Pontius Pilot was a
governor.

From: Richard Broderick <richb [at] lakecast.com>
Subject: Poetry/politics 10.21 7pm

Tuesday, October 21, 7 p.m.

"Call and Answer," a panel discussion on the topic of poetry and politics
moderated by Rich Broderick and featuring award-winning poets Ed Bok Lee,
Anya Achtenberg, Tim Nolan, Wang Ping and Joyce Sutphen, with a special
musical appearance by Prudence Johnson. October 21, 7 p.m., the Black Dog
Cafe, 308 Prince St., at the corner of Broadway and Fourth in Lowertown,
St. Paul.

What is the proper relationship - if any - between politics and poetry? Is
it possible for poets to honor the imperatives of poetic inspiration as
well as the insights of political consciousness to create poetry that is
both relevant and artful? Why aren't American poets, as in other parts of
the world, expected to play the role of public conscience and public
intellectuals? How have political ideas - and their reactions to political
events - shaped the poetry of each panelist? What, if anything, can poets
do to make their voices heard on the great issues confronting us today?

These and other questions will be examined by the panelists, drawing upon
examples from their own works. Admission is free. For directions and
further information, call 651-228-9274 or visit
/www.blackdogstpaul.com/events .

"How come we've listened to the great criers... and now/We're silent as
the sparrows in the little bushes?" From "Call and Answer," by Robert Bly.

--------10 of 17--------

From: Minnesota Fair Trade Coalition <aranney [at] citizenstrade.org>
Subject: Trade forum 10.21 7pm

We hope that you join us tomorrow evening for a forum on the impacts of
trade in Minnesota. Our speakers along with students, activists and
community allies will be discussing some of the many costly impacts unfair
trade has had in our world. From racism, to agriculture, small farms,
labor rights, our jobs and the future of our jobs, we'll hope to provide
folks with a comprehensive picture of what free trade really means in the
21st century.

We'll also discuss how to further push trade as an election issue, and
what alternatives we have ahead of us as we move forward with a fair trade
agenda.

Here are the details:

Where: the event will be at Augsburg College (2211 Riverside Ave.,
Minneapolis, MN 55454) it will be held at the Christensen Center in the
East Commons.

When: Tomorrow, Tuesday, October 21st from 7-8:30pm

Again, this event is free and open to the public. We'll have fair trade
coffee and snacks thanks to Peace Coffee and Equal Exchange and we'll be
providing important materials about how to insert trade into the
elections, including trade voter guides and how to bird-dog the
candidates. For more information on this event, stop by our website
www.fairtrademinnesota.org

--------11 of 17--------

From: Julie Bates <julie [at] intermediaarts.org>
Subject: Peace/activism 10.21 7:30pm

The Carol Connolly Reading Series
Readings by Writers
This month's featured readers are contributors to
COST OF FREEDOM: The Anthology of Peace & Activism from Howling Dog
Press

Tuesday, OCTOBER 21, 2008
7:30 PM at the historic University Club of St Paul
420 Summit Ave, St Paul
Hosted by Carol Connolly
Free and open to the public

Featuring:

HENRY BECHTHOLD, author of RIGHT WING POLITICS AND RELIGION: The Unholy
Alliance Exposed, is founder of Inner City Outreach, which provides new
clothing for the poor and homeless.

LEIGH HERRICK, poet, writer, and collaborator, has performed in the
Minnesota Fringe Festival; Open Book's Tellabration; and Spirit in the
House Festival. Her essays, music and poetry have been widely published in
a variety of electronic and print journals, including The Texas Observer.
Her poetry CD is Just War. A member of Phi Beta Kappa, she is a two-time
Pushcart Prize nominee and the recipient of numerous poetry awards.

STEFANIE HOLLMICHEL is a writer who keeps a blog called So Many Books, has
Masters in English Literature, and is a student in Library and Information
Science. She works as a techie for Tubman-Chrysalis. CHANTE WOLF spent 12
years in the U.S. Air Force, serving in Saudi Arabia during Desert
Shield/Storm. She holds degrees in Anthropology and Women's Studies, and
is now pursuing photography as she works to preserve the planet and to
challenge many Americans' perception of war and its never ending costs.

--------12 of 17--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Relocalization 10.22 11:30am

from Wanda,Ragin' Granny:The presentation on Fossil Fuel Decline and the
Energy Gap - Why Relocalization is Inevitable given by Jon Freise
Wednesday was excellent.  I knew a lot about the subject already but was
impressed by the presentation and learned a few new things. One idea came
up - as we don't want to invest in the stock market - what local
businesses might be good to invest in (like the co-op).  What local
businesses need to be developed?

There is discussion of having Jon give the presentation in other
neighborhoods and/or training other presenters to do it.  He can be
reached at jon_freise [at] msn.com

NEXT GATHERING w/JON FREISE ON RELOCALIZATION Wednesday, October 22,11:30am
same place.
Community Room at the NEC
(2nd floor of the Mississippi Market on the SW corner of Selby and Dale.
Direct bus via #21 or #65. Please do not park in the store parking lot).
Neighborhood Energy Connection
624 Selby Avenue
Saint Paul, MN  55104

--------13 of 17--------

From: Ted Dooley Law Office <teddooley [at] winternet.com>
Subject: Police brutality 10.22 4:30pm

NLG-MN chapter endorses the Protest Against Police Brutality Rally
sponsored by 2008 Social Justice Award recipients Communities United
Against Police Brutality(CUAPB).  Please see below the notice posted by
CUAPB and please join us in Saint Paul on October 22.

Protest Against Police Brutality
Wedsday October 22, 2008 4:30pm
Kellogg Park, Kellogg and Wabasha, St. Paul
National Day of Protest Against Police Brutality

From mass police brutality during the RNC to the everyday brutality
against people of color and poor people in the streets and in the jails,
something has got to be done to end their reign of terror.

Come out and demand REAL solutions:
-We need a real civilian review authority that holds cops accountable and
isnt just a rubber stamp agency!
-End beatings and abuse in the jails and prosecute brutal jailers!
-No more bogus charges against police brutality victims.  Prosecute brutal
cops!
Drop ALL charges against RNC arrestees.  Dissent is not a crime!
-Fire cops who lie in police reports or in court!
We must let the authorities know that we will no longer be silent in the
face of police brutality!

NLG-MN Privacy Policy National Lawyers Guild - Minnesota 3547 Cedar Avenue
South Minneapolis, MN 55407 (612) 326-4315

--
Organized by my dear friend, Michelle Gross. I look forward to seeing all
my friends and allies who stand for grassroots democracy and social