Progressive Calendar 10.07.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 15:21:07 -0700 (PDT)

1. IRV in court          10.08 8:30pm
2. Peak oil              10.08 11:30am
3. Genomics              10.08 11:30am
4. Czech                 10.08 2:30pm
5. Lebanon/book          10.08 6:30pm
6. AI                    10.08 7:30pm

7. Eagan peace vigil     10.09 4:30pm
8. New Hope demo         10.09 4:45pm
9. Northtown vigil       10.09 5pm
10. Wellstone: accident? 10.09 7pm forum

11. Vs Zionism/JoelKovel 10.10 11:30am/1pm/4:15pm/6pm
12. Frank Wilderson      10.10 7:30pm

13. Cynthia McKinney - This election, dump the Congress bailout zombies
14. Flo Razowsky     - Launch of Int'l Jewish Anti-Zionist Network (IJAN)
15. Leonardo Boff    - Democracy came to the factory

--------1 of 15--------

From: FairVote Minnesota <info [at] fairvotemn.org>
Subject: IRV in court 10.08 8:30pm

                         IRV Goes to Court

 FairVote Minnesota is a co-defendant in the lawsuit challenging IRV's
constitutionality and the right of Minneapolis, as a home-rule charter
city, to use IRV under Minnesota law.
 The time has finally arrived for our day in court. Arguments will be
heard October 8 at 8:30 a.m. in Hennepin County District Court by Judge
George McGunnigle. The hearing, open to the public, will be held in Room
1355 of the Hennepin County Government Center, 300 S. 6th St.,
Minneapolis.
 Given the amount of interest in this case, seats may fill quickly - so if
you want to attend, please arrive early.

                    Moving Forward in Minneapolis

Big news: This week, the City of Minneapolis Elections Department issued a
memo indicating they are moving ahead with plans to implement IRV in city
elections in 2009.

To-date, the main challenge for the city has been selecting voting
equipment that will facilitate IRV elections. After evaluating options,
the city has recommended using existing voting machines supplemented by
hand counts where necessary.

This removes all uncertainty about how IRV will be implemented in
Minneapolis - a huge step towards a successful IRV election in 2009!
It's time for IRV.Â

          Help Make IRV a Reality in Minnesota: Contribute

While FairVote Minnesota's legal counsel is donating their services
related to the Minneapolis lawsuit, we have other expenses related to
winning this crucial battle and working to bring IRV to other parts of
Minnesota. We need your help.
 FairVote Minnesota is close to its $25,000 fundraising goal related to
the lawsuit. But close won't cut it. We need to raise $8,000 more in the
next week to continue the fight for better democracy.
 Can you give $25, $50, $100 or even more [9] to help us decisively defeat
the Minneapolis court challenge and continue the progressive momentum for
IRV in Minnesota?
 Donations can be made at www.fairvotemn.org/contribute/online or by mail
to FairVote Minnesota, PO Box 19440, Minneapolis, MN 55409.

                         Other ways to help:

 Join our Speakers Bureau. Contact info [at] fairvotemn.org.
 Host a party to educate neighbors and friends about IRV. We'll help you
organize an IRV dessert election. Contact info [at] fairvotemn.org.
 Help with data entry from the comfort of your own home. Contact
infor [at] fairvotemn.org.Â

--------2 of 15--------

From: Kevin Chavis <kevinchavis [at] gmail.com>
Subject: Peak oil 10.08 11:30am

Fossil Fuel Decline and the Energy Gap
Why Relocalization is Inevitable
By Jon Freise
Wednesday October 11:30 to 1pm at the Neighborhood Energy Connection

Many peak oil planning groups have concluded that Relocalizing people,
food and jobs into close proximity is the best solution to peak oil (and
peak energy). Some notable examples:

 Transition Towns http://totnes.transitionnetwork.org/ (The intro page has
an excellent vision!)
 Community Solution http://www.communitysolution.org/
 City of Portland: Peak Oil Task Force
http://www.portlandonline.com/osd/index.cfm?c=ecije

Please come to this talk where we will examine the data supporting
Relocalization. We will look at the latest fossil fuel data:

- Up to date analysis of oil production.
- Latest data on the decline of oil sold on the world market.
- World coal production forecasts.
- North American and world natural gas production forecasts.

We will take a look at some of the solutions

- Energy Return of alternative fuels
- Efficiency improvements to existing buildings
- Transportation efficiency improvements

It will be clear an "energy gap" will open between our needs and our
available supplies of energy. We will examine the latest academic papers
that predict the amount of economic damage this "energy gap" will cause.
And we will take a look at a few countries currently suffering energy
shortages.

At the end there will be a discussion about what topics the Energy
Transition Working Group should be covering over the next year to better
understand and prepare for what is going to happen.

Talk held in the Community Room at the NEC
(2nd floor of the Mississippi Market on the SW corner of Selby and Dale.
Direct bus via #21 or #65. Please do not park in the store parking lot).

Neighborhood Energy Connection 624 Selby Avenue Saint Paul, MN 55104

--------3 of 15--------

From: Consortium on Law & Values and JDP Program <lawvalue [at] umn.edu>
Subject: Synthetic genomics 10.08 11:30am

Synthetic Genomics: Risks and Benefits for Science & Society
Robert Friedman, PhD,  J. Craig Venter Institute
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
11:30am-1:00pm
Coffman Memorial Union Theater (1st Floor)

Dr. Friedman will discuss the rapidly developing field of synthetic
genomics (and more generally, synthetic biology) which offers great
promise for both basic biological research and as a new and powerful tool
for biotechnology. The hope is that this new technology will allow
dramatic breakthroughs in the production of new vaccines, diagnostics, and
pharmaceuticals; in renewable, carbon-neutral energy sources; and in
bio-based manufacturing in general. Dr. Friedman will try to disentangle
the set of concerns that is unique to synthetic genomics, or where the use
of synthetic genomics significantly adds to societal concerns about the
use of biotechnology, or new technology in general. He will first briefly
review the basics of this new technology and discuss its potential, that
is, the reasons why this research is being pursued at the Venter Institute
and many other labs around the world. He will then turn to each of the
societal issues mentioned above, focusing on those aspects of synthetic
genomics that make it different from other types of work with recombinant
DNA.  Finally, he will attempt to identify those areas where the
miscommunication between scientists and the public is most troublesome.

Robert Friedman, PhD, is Deputy Director of the J. Craig Venter
Institute's La Jolla, California facility. Dr. Friedman also directs
JCVI's Policy Center and is active in several projects ongoing in the
Institute's Environmental Genomics Group. He is a Fellow of the American
Association for the Advancement of Science.

Commentators:
 Jeffrey P. Kahn, PhD, MPH
 Brian Van Ness, PhD Dir., Center for Bioethics Depart. Head &
Professor, Maas Family Chair in Bioethics Genetics, Cell Biology &
Professor, Dept. of Medicine, Development Public Health & Philosophy

This event is free and open to the public. This lecture is intended for
students, faculty, researchers, scientists, policymakers, and community
members.
Continuing Education Application for 1.5 hours of general Continuing
Legal Education (CLE) for attorneys has been submitted.

--------4 of 15--------

From: Lauren Merritt <merri350 [at] umn.edu>
Subject: Czech 10.08 2:30pm

October 8, 2008 - Martin Burtora, Czech Scholar, Discussion on Social
Reforms.  Time: 2:30pm - 4:00pm.  Cost: Free and open to the public.

Martin Butora, Czech Scholar, will discuss social reforms in
post-Communist Czech Republic.
Light deserts will be served.
Location: 250 Wulling Hall, 86 Pleasant Street SE (East Bank), Minneapolis,

--------5 of 15--------

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: Lebanon/book 10.08 6:30pm

Wednesday, October 8th, 6:30PM
CATHY SULTAN, on her new book
TRAGEDY IN SOUTH LEBANON
Amazon/True Colors Bookstore
4755 Chicago Ave. South, Minneapolis

The war in Iraq has taken our attention away from other troubled areas of
the Middle East. Cathy Sultan draws us back to Lebanon and Israel in
Tragedy in South Lebanon, which was released this past April. Through
history, research, and personal interviews, she chronicles life in
southern Lebanon and northern Israel during the brutal summer 2006 war.
As in her other critically acclaimed books, Sultan focuses on ordinary
people, who are overlooked by politicians and military leaders and become
victims of poor decisions made by the governments of Israel, Lebanon, and
the United States. She vividly portrays the polluting effects of cluster
bombs and explains how different factions within the Lebanese government
keep it on the brink of further violence. She writes of the the tiny
Shabba Farms area's importance to Hezbollah and of the refugee camp that
holds members of Fatah al-Islam, a Sunni militant group, despite efforts
of the Lebanese army. Sultan also addresses media treatment of the war,
dispels common myths about the region, and includes a timeline of Lebanese
history, and maps depicting violence around the area.

Cathy is the author of two other award-winning books about the Middle
East, which are now difficult to find, but I've managed to scrounge up
some copies.  In 1969 she moved to Beirut with her Lebanese husband and
two young children. She and her family survived the Lebanese civil war
that began in 1975, a story recounted in A Beirut Heart. Sultan and her
husband now reside in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. She sits on the Executive
Board of the National Peace Foundation, where her projects include a new
partnership with Interfaith Peace Builders, co-leading delegations to
Israel and Palestine.

--------6 of 15--------

From: Gabe Ormsby <gabeo [at] bitstream.net>
Subject: AI 10.08 7:30pm

AIUSA Group 640 (Saint Paul) meets Wednesday, October 8th, at 7:30 p.m.
Mad Hatter Teahouse, 943 West 7th Street, Saint Paul.

--------7 of 15--------

From: Greg and Sue Skog <family4peace [at] msn.com>
Subject: Eagan peace vigil 10.09 4:30pm

From: Carole Rydberg <carydberg [at] comcast.net>
Subject: New Hope demo 10.09 4:45pm

NWN4P-New Hope demonstration every Thursday 4:45 to 5:45pm at the corner
of Winnetka and 42nd.  You may park near Walgreens or in the larger lot
near McDonalds; we will be on all four corners.  Bring your own or use our
signs.

--------9 of 15--------

From: EKalamboki [at] aol.com
Subject: Northtown vigil 10.08 5pm

From: David Shove <shove001 [at] tc.umn.edu>
Subject: Wellstone: Accident? 10.09 7pm forum

NESG (North East Suburban Greens) presents James H. Fetzer, Ph.D.,
McKnight University Professor Emeritus, in a forum "Wellstone: Accident?"

Dr Fetzer will tell the results of his extensive research into the death
of Paul and Sheila Wellstone in the small plane crash in Minnesota. Dr.
Fetzer, retired from the University of Minnesota Duluth in 2006, is the
author of 20 books and more than 100 papers on various subjects, such as
the philosophy of science, artificial intelligence, among others.

Thursday October 9, 7pm
Maplewood Library
3025 Southlawn Drive
Maplewood Mall  (North of St Paul)
651-704-2033
Admission is free but donations to help defray costs will be appreciated.

 DIRECTIONS:
1. Fastest and most direct .. ten minutes from St, Paul
94 to 35 E north to 694 East -
Take White Bear Avenue Exit - go south (or right)
Immediately another right at stop light (Co Rd. D)
Continue three blocks, turn left (Southlawn Drive)
Shortly, the library will be on the right.
OR
2. Less freeway ....  fifteen minutes from St, Paul
94 to 35 E north
Get onto Hwy 36 going East
Go to Hwy 61 -  Turn left or north.
Drive to Beam Avenue (across from Toyota) and turn right.
Drive past the hospital to Southlawn Drive, and turn left.
Maplewood Library is on the left side of Southlawn ...
drive til you see it.

Contacts:
Dori Ullman 612-414-9528 doriandter [at] aol.com
David Shove 651-636-5672 shove001 [at] tc.umn.edu