Progressive Calendar 09.20.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:25:18 -0700 (PDT)

1. Colombia          9.21 12:25pm
2. Peace/creativity  9.21 12:30pm
3. Peace in the park 9.21 1pm
4. Stillwater vigil  9.21 1pm
5. YAWR/metro-wide   9.21 2pm
6. Amnesty Intl      9.21 3pm
7. NRP/950AM         9.21 3pm

How to file a complaint against a Mpls police officer:
8. Cam Gordon
9. Lydia Howell
     ==a Moving Mountains; I've seen American torture
     ==b People rebel after Minneapolis cops shoot boy
     ==c Michael Quinn
10. Michael Cavlan
11. Diane Peterson
12. Cam Gordon

police raids:
13. Jen Howard  - Charges vs journalists at RNC dropped; questions remain
14. Dennis Geisinger - Two Mpls council members: investigate RNC police
15. Chris Steller    - City Council 4: NO investigation of Mpls police
16. ed               - Comment on #15

17. ed               - What the council does best  (haiku)

--------1 of 17--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Colombia 9.21 12:25pm

Sunday, 9/21, 12:15 to 2 pm, Twin Cities Peace with Justice Forum series
(of the ELCA demonimation) presents Jairo Suzrez, a Colombian Lutheran
pastor and human rights worker, speaking on "A Call to Peace: Colombia,
Peacebuilding and You," Central Lutheran Church, 3rd Ave and 12th St (next
to Mpls Convention Center), Mpls.  Info from dhilden [at] comcast.net or
612-825-1481.  (Lunch available for $7.  Validated parking available in
the Central lot/ramp on the south side of the church.)

--------2 of 17--------

From: "wamm [at] mtn.org" <wamm [at] mtn.org>
Subject: Peace/creativity 9.21 12:30pm

Our Journey Home: Finding Peace through Creativity
Sunday, September 21, 12:30 to 7:00 p.m. The Loft Literary Center, 1011
Washington Avenue South, Minneapolis.

How is peace a creative act? How can one individual make a difference?
Come celebrate in a gathering at the crossroads of peace, creativity and
imagination.
 Sami Rasouli of the Muslim Peacemaker Teams (MPT) and Iraqi Art Project,
recently returned from Iraq to his other home, Minneapolis.
 Carol Pearce Bjorlie, musician, poet, peace activist, Loft Instructor, U
of W-River Falls music instructor.

Rare gallery art show bringing together Iraqi and American artists
(proceeds of art sales will both support the artists and the work of MPT),
small-group discussions, hands-on workshops, performances by guests
include Voices for Peace and Pangea World Theater demonstrating how to use
your creativity in the service of peace, food from Indian restaurant.
Sponsored by: Peace Writers. Co-sponsored by: Iraqi and American
Reconciliation Project.

--------3 of 17--------

From: Charles Underwood <charleyunderwood [at] hotmail.com>
Subject: Peace in the park 9.21 1pm

Sunday, 9/21, 1 to 5 pm, International Peace Day in the Park, with
multicultural sharing from community groups, tai chi, etc, Lake Elmo Park
Reserve, 1515 Keats Ave N, Lake Elmo.  Theresa A May-Finch, 612-345-1537
or theresa [at] heavenonearthhealing.com

--------4 of 17--------

From: scot b <earthmannow [at] comcast.net>
Subject: Stillwater vigil 9.21 1pm

From: Lydia Howell <lhowell [at] visi.com>
Subject: YAWR/metro-wide 9.21 2pm

This Sunday, participate in the first Youth Against War & Racism meeting
of the 2008-2009 school year. We will be discussing our ARMY OF NONE
campaign. In February, following several walkouts by thousands of
students, the Minneapolis School Board voted to ban military recruiters
from school hallways and cafeterias and restrict them to career centers.
Most importantly, the resolution allows peace groups to table when
recruiters come to a school to counter their lies and pro-war propaganda.
wThe resolution gives the opportunity to minimize the effect military
recruiters have on students. However, this victory is only a small step to
getting military recruiters out of schools altogether. The goal is to set
up anti-war tables in high schools every time the military comes.

For the ARMY OF NONE campaign to succeed, we need YAWR chapters set up in
all the Minneapolis schools, to make sure every military table is
countered with an anti-war table.

We will also be discussing our role in the October 11 antiwar protest
organized by the Iraq Peace Action Coalition.

Youth Against War & Racism Metro-Wide Meeting
Sunday, September 21 - 2pm
YAWR Office (Ty's House)
3024 Chicago Ave S #1
Minneapolis, MN

--------6 of 17--------

From: Gabe Ormsby <gabeo [at] bitstream.net>
Subject: Amnesty Intl 9.21 3pm

GROUP 37 SEPTEMBER MEETING REMINDER: SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 21 - 3 TO 5 P.M.
Join us for our regular meeting on Sunday, September 21st, from 3:00 to
5:00 p.m. The topic of this meeting is still undetermined -- please check
our website for updates. All are welcome, and refreshments will be
provided.

Location: Center for Victims of Torture, 717 E. River Rd. SE, Minneapolis
(corner of E. River Rd. and Oak St.). Park on street or in the small lot
behind the center (the Center is a house set back on a large lawn).

A map and directions are available on-line:
http://www.twincitiesamnesty.org/meetings.html