Progressive Calendar 09.12.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 02:59:56 -0700 (PDT)

police raids
1. Pratt/Steller - StPaul taps two to review RNC cops - but not misconduct
2. Charles Hallman  - Outside the convention
3. Molly Priesmeyer - We are numb to war: (Ian and Monica Bicking)
4. Amy Goodman      - The party police
5. Andy Driscoll    - Will one police officer come forward?
6. Grace Kelly      - No blue code of silence ever!
7. Anya Achtenberg  - RNC story

other
8. Joel Albers      - 18,000 MNCare enrollees to be cut (Strib)
9. Mickey Z.        - September 11, 2008
10. Paul Cantor     - The other 9/11: the coup in Chile
11. Peter Kornbluh  - New transcripts of Kissinger's role in Chilean coup
12. ed              - Kissinger poem

--------1 of 12--------

StPaul taps two to review RNC cops - but not misconduct
By Anna Pratt and Chris Steller , Minnesota Independent
September 11, 2008

St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman announced late Tuesday afternoon that the
city will undergo an outside review of the public safety effort tied to
the Republican National Convention - but its limited scope may not satisfy
calls from various quarters for independent review of police misconduct.

Leading the charge is former U.S. Attorney Tom Heffelfinger, who now works
for Minneapolis law firm Best & Flanagan, and Andy Luger, previously an
assistant U.S. attorney who is employed at Greene Espel in Minneapolis.

They'll be putting a team together to perform the assessment and define
its parameters, according to a statement from the mayor's office. The
timeline for the study and other details are yet to be nailed down,
according to mayoral spokesman Bob Hume. He told Minnesota Independent
that the city had always planned to "take a hard look at the events of the
week," but didn't before know "what form it would take".

"Today we basically said we would bring in a fresh set of eyes to work
through the process of determining what went well and what lessons are to
be learned," said Hume.

Regarding the questions that members of the public have raised about
security measures during the RNC, "We want to be able to answer those as
best we can. Our feeling is these two [attorneys] will help us navigate
that and will give an honest look at how things went," he said.

But Heffelfinger is saying the team will not look into allegations of
police misconduct, raising the question of whether St. Paul's move will
satisfy the various organizations and officials demanding independent
reviews. An international human rights group, a national civil liberties
organization and a smattering of local officials have issued calls -
ranging in tone from livid to tepid - for investigations:

Amnesty International wants "city and county authorities to ensure that
all allegations of ill-treatment and other abuses are impartially
investigated, with a review of police tactics and weapons in the policing
of demonstrations" - adding that it should be prompt and public.

The American Civil Liberties Union wants "an investigation into possible
violations of the First and Fourth Amendments, including the arrest of
reporters trying to gather the news; the mass arrest of hundreds of
peaceful protestors; the surveillance and subsequent raids on several
activist groups and private homes; and the confiscation by law enforcement
agents of constitutionally-protected private property".

Locally, St. Paul City Council Member Dave Thune has said he wants "a
public airing of what went right and what went wrong". To that end, he's
scheduled a "community conversation" on Sept. 24, 5:30 p.m., City Council
chambers, to hear from interest groups - but no open mic for public
testimony. He's also is soliciting citizen comment for St. Paul's official
police "after-assessment".

Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak wants to investigate police actions
personally - "just the mayor taking a look at how the police responded to
the protests," his spokesman told MPR. The mayor is eschewing any formal
review.

Minneapolis City Council Members Cam Gordon and Gary Schiff want "an
independent, blue ribbon panel to conduct a thorough investigation into
the events, decisions and policies surrounding security issues and the
RNC, hold hearings and make recommendations for future policy changes".

Schiff told Minnesota Independent on Monday that he envisions a joint
Minneapolis-St. Paul commission approved by both city councils, with
funding from both cities. In contrast to Heffelfinger's statement that
civilian review and police internal affairs panels could handle charges of
police misconduct, Schiff said the cases arising from hundreds of RNC
arrests would overwhelm those local boards, and that is why an independent
blue-ribbon panel is needed.

Another parochial concern that may elude Heffelfinger are Minneapolis'
guidelines of recent vintage against which Minneapolis council members
intended to measure police actions during the RNC, the "police policies
regarding public assemblies" that the council passed in July 25. Gordon
aide Robin Garwood and Schiff agreed city police appear to have violated
at least one of the 29 policies regarding treatment of the press.

Might RNC policing be an issue in Minneapolis elections next year? Schiff
shrugs, but Dave Bicking, who unsuccessfully challenged Schiff for the
Ward 9 city council seat three years ago, says it could. Police
accountability was one of the main issues on which Bicking ran in 2005 - a
lit piece of his cautioned that "Expensive lawsuits should not be the only
means for accountability" - and it could be again, especially now that
Bicking's daughter Monica is one of the marquee arrestees facing the
stiffest penalties from the pre-RNC sweeps.

Article Tags: Minneapolis, St. Paul, Government, Heffelfinger,
investigation, police

--------2 of 12--------

Outside the convention: truth testimony, violence, rudeness and
inconvenience
By Charles Hallman, Minnesota Spokesman-Recorder
September 11, 2008

People from all across the country met on the Republican National
Convention's opening night - and not just inside Xcel Energy Center.

The 2008 National Truth Commission heard testimony at a September 1
hearing held at Christ Lutheran Church in St. Paul, located a few blocks
away from the convention site. Many testified, accusing the U.S.
government of human rights violations in health care and housing.

"People are suffering and people are in pain," declared Ajamu Baraka of
the U.S. Human Rights Network. "We have a system and a government that
does not recognize the fundamental humanity of people who are poor and
working class".

"The [federal] government can spend millions on a war but can't take care
of its people," said Carol Sawall-Smith of Chicago.

Too many corporations violate human rights because they refuse to
contribute more in health premiums for their employees, said Ethel
Long-Scott of the Women's Economic Agenda Project of Oakland, California.
Charging both Republican and Democratic officials for not doing more and
saying that the two political parties "have bloody hands," Long-Scott
added, "We deserve to live better".

"I do not want to depend on others," admitted 50-year-old Annette Toney
from Cleveland, Ohio, explaining that her meager earnings can't pay for
the health care she needs.

Ann Patterson, a Minneapolis nurse, said her husband recently lost his
job. "We've used our credit cards, savings, and our children's savings,"
said the mother of five, including two with ongoing health concerns. "We
are not able to make it. It is stressful".

Rev. Gregory Lockett of Tampa, Florida, disclosed that oftentimes he has
been "dishonest" to get needed medications for his heart disease "because
if I told [officials] the truth, they would tell me to go someplace else".

Bruce Dawson of Philadelphia emotionally related the story of his brother
who was diagnosed with a tumor the size of a small ball, which eventually
grew to basketball-like proportions. "It took him over a year to get
health care because he didn't have any insurance," said Dawson, who added
that his sibling recently died from cancer.

"We need a healthcare reform with values that is going to treat everyone
with a life of dignity that we all deserve," said Heather McLaughlin, a
community worker with the Women's Economic Agenda Project.

Donte Davis said that he and his two children live in a crowded,
one-bedroom apartment in Louisville, Kentucky. "They don't understand any
of this," said Davis of his children's reaction to their present living
conditions.

Pleaded Willie "J.R." Fleming of Chicago, "I am human. I deserve human
rights. If you won't do it for me, [then] do it for my [10] children".

Surmised Minnesota Tenants Union's Peter Brown, a Truth Commission member,
"Based on the testimony that we heard, it is a clear challenge of
politicians of all parties to step up".

"I am excited that the Truth Commission met," said Green Party
vice-presidential candidate Rose Clement.

                         Peaceful march

An estimated 2,000 marched from St. Paul's Mears Park to the State Capitol
lawn September 2 in the "March for Our Lives," sponsored by the Poor
People's Economic Human Rights Campaign.

It was probably one of the most peaceful events compared to several others
marred by clashes between police and marchers. "There seems to be an
overemphasis on a military presence, and it was shocking," said Baraka

               Police, protesters clash on final day

Police regiments were dressed from head to toe in riot gear, looking less
like peace officers and more like commandos as they blocked off bridges to
stop demonstrators from going into downtown St. Paul September 4.

"We are just wondering if what we are watching is a police state," said a
30-year-old man from St. Paul as he and others stood near the John Ireland
Boulevard bridge over Interstate 94.

"I decided to come out here to see what is going on," said St. Paul City
Council Member Melvin Carter III, who also was a Democratic National
Convention delegate. Asked if this clash between police and protesters
occurred in Denver, he said, "I didn't see any of this type of stuff, but
that doesn't necessary mean that there wasn't [similar situations]. We
were inside the convention center the whole time".

The protesters later moved through to the Marion Street bridge where they
and police clashed - nearly 100 persons were arrested according to police
reports.

A 27-year-old Minneapolis mother of two, who works across the street from
the convention site, was an unwilling spectator. "I've been [here] since
3:30 trying to get across the street. I was supposed to have been at work
at five pm," said the woman, who did not want her name published.

"From Sunday to Thursday, it has been crazy," she continued. Even though
employees were given limited access badges, police officers wouldn't let
her get to work without being stopped. "Somebody from the CNN Grill [where
she works] would have to come get me".

Because of the convention, "I had to walk from Rice Street and University
all the way back over here to get to work every day. It [took] me at least
30 minutes. Then, when I [get] off at one in the morning, the police are
so rude they won't even let you through the gates. They make you go all
the way around, walk over the sky bridge and then to the corner".

Once at work, the patrons, most of whom were convention folk, bothered her
as well. "It feels like you [were] in the KKK meeting with all the White
people. They [were] rude as hell to you," the woman said, recalling an
incident involving a Black male coworker.

"This White lady who was part of the Republican Party picked up her food
and was going to throw it in the trash. There was a thing of chili on the
table, and she told [the coworker], 'You can eat that if you want to
[because] nobody touched it'. My co-worker was so mad - 'I am not a dog
and this ain't slavery days. I don't need your scraps,' he told her".

The stranded worker said she was glad the convention and everything else
surrounding it was about over. "I got food to buy and bills to pay. They
are messing with my money".

Charles Hallman welcomes reader responses to
challman [at] spokesman-recorder.com, or read his blog: www.ww
wchallman.blogspot.com.

Article Tags: Community Culture, RNC 2008

--------3 of 12--------

We are numb to war.: brother of young woman arrested in preemptive raids
speaks out Ian and Monica Bicking
By Molly Priesmeyer, Minnesota Independent
September 11, 2008

Police would like to to paint 23-year-old Monica Bicking, whose home was
raided on Saturday, August 30, as part of a preemptive strike against RNC
protesters, as a "terrorist". But her brother, Ian Bicking, has come out
to speak in support of his sister, whom he says was arrested in an attempt
to preemptively suppress the protests at the Republican National
Convention.

"That war is still with us," he writes on his blog, "and is still the most
significant motivation for the RNC protests. I don't have any third path
to offer, but I just want to make it clear: none of us know what is best
to do, none of us have figured out the way to effect change. People
complain protest doesn't work. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but
frankly most things don't work. Doing nothing definitely doesn't work, and
frankly that's what most of us are doing. It's hard to take criticisms
seriously when they are made from a stance of inaction".

In Monica Bicking's South Minneapolis home, where are least 13 people were
staying for the RNC, the police seized, among typical household items and
laptop computers, curtain rods, foam mattresses, "propaganda literature,"
37 caltrops (nail-like devices used to puncture tires), and a few throwing
knives. A total of three homes in Minneapolis were raided (and a fourth
surrounded in St. Paul) the morning after the Ramsey County Sheriff's
Office, supported by the Minneapolis Police Department, Hennepin County
Sheriff's Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, raided the RNC
Welcoming Committee's convergence space in St. Paul.

The raids resulted in five arrests and more than 100 people handcuffed and
detained. Last week, Ramsey County formally charged eight members of the
RNC Welcoming Committte, Bicking, her boyfriend Eryn Trimmer, Luce Guillen
Givins, Erik Oseland, Nathanael Secor, Robert Czernik, Garrett Fitzgerald,
and Max Spector, with conspiracy to riot in futherance of terrorism.

The word "terrorism," at least by definition, is fairly innocuous: "The
use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims". Under
that definition, any government could be a terrorist. But after 9/11, the
media and Bush administration gave it a much more frightful and sinister
meaning, one that led to the creation of the Federal Patriot Act. It's
under the 2002 Minnesota version of the Federal Patriot Act that Bicking
and others could receive as much as seven years in jail simply for having
"evidence" in their homes. The terrorism enhancement charge allows for a
50 percent increase in the maximum penalty for conspiracy to riot.

Ian Bicking says Monica and others in the RNC Welcoming Committee had no
plans of their own to protest during those four days, but to offer a safe
place for those who wished to protest their own issues, whatever they
might be. "The preemptive arrest was surprising to everyone," he writes.
"It is normal in the course of civil disobedience that some people expect
to be arrested. Civil disobedience is confrontational. You have to go into
it knowing that there will be certain consequences. Those are the
consequences of the confrontation [his emphasis]. They are not the
consequences of the possibility of future confrontation. As organizers I
know Monica and Eryn weren't planning on being arrested".

Article Tags: RNC 2008,

--------4 of 12--------

The Party Police
by Amy Goodman
Published on Thursday, September 11, 2008 by TruthDig.com

The Democratic and Republican national conventions have passed, but
controversy surrounds how they were funded and how they were run. Mass
arrests of peaceful protesters, excessive police violence, wholesale
disregard for the Bill of Rights and the targeting and arrest of
journalists marred what should have been celebrations of democracy. The
"host committees," the legal entities that organize and pay for the
conventions, act as large party slush funds, outside of campaign-finance
restrictions. Scores of major corporations (and a couple of unions),
barred from giving unlimited funds to political parties, could give
whatever they wanted to the host committees of Denver and St. Paul, Minn.

According to a recent article in National Underwriter magazine, "Both the
Republican National Committee and Democratic National Committee refused to
comment on their insurance purchasing decisions, or even reveal who was
providing coverage for their respective conventions." Bruce Nestor,
president of the Minnesota chapter of the National Lawyers Guild, who
organized scores of legal observers around the Twin Cities to protect
citizens' legal rights, told me: "St. Paul actually negotiated a special
insurance provision with the Republican host committee so that the first
$10 million in liability for lawsuits arising from the convention will be
covered by the host committee. The city is very proud of this negotiation.
It's the first time it's been negotiated between a city and the host
committee. But it basically means we [the city] can commit wrongdoing, and
we won't have to pay for it." According to the Minnesota Independent, more
than 40 journalists were arrested or detained during the Republican
National Convention.

Like what happened to "Democracy Now!" producer Nicole Salazar,
videotaping protests in downtown St. Paul. She was violently forced to the
ground, her nose bloodied, was held down with a man's knee or boot on her
back, with another person pulling on her leg. Fellow producer Sharif Abdel
Kouddous was thrown against a wall and kicked in the chest and back. The
police might normally intervene and arrest the perpetrators. Except here,
it was the police who were the assailants. And they arrested their
victims. Arriving on the scene, I tried to have my colleagues freed, as we
were all accredited journalists, and the police arrested me. And we were
not the only ones.

As the mayors and police of St. Paul and Minneapolis patted each other on
the back for a job well done, the nonprofit group FreePress, the head of
the local chapter of the Newspaper Guild and other media advocates and
reporters delivered more than 50,000 signatures to the mayor's office
demanding that the charges against the journalists be dropped. We were met
by St. Paul Deputy Mayor Ann Mulholland. Free Speech TV CEO Denis Moynihan
asked about the Republican host committee indemnification of the city,
"Isn't that just giving a $10 million ticket to the police to violate
civil rights?" Mulholland countered, "We are very proud of that ... the
$10 million was critical for our city. We would not have been able to host
the convention otherwise."

The two major-party conventions have become protracted, expensive
advertising spectacles for the presidential candidates. It makes sense
that Democrats and Republicans would want to control the message. But
democracy is not an advertisement, nor is it under the sole dominion of
the two parties. People were engaged in Denver and St. Paul in a vast
array of civic dialogue, public gatherings, marches, protests, concerts,
art openings-in fact, there was more democracy happening outside the
convention halls than inside them. The convention center names tell the
story: It was the Pepsi Center in Denver, the Xcel Energy Center in St.
Paul. Xcel, which pushes nuclear power, gave $1 million to each
convention. Both top candidates support nuclear power as a viable option.

In Denver, but particularly in St. Paul, dissent was crushed with a
massive array of paramilitarized police, operating under the U.S. Secret
Service, granted jurisdiction over the "National Special Security Events"
that the conventions have been dubbed. Corporations pay millions to the
host committees, earning exclusive access to lawmakers and candidates. The
host committees, in turn, unleash police on the public, all but
guaranteeing injuries, unlawful arrests and expensive civil litigation for
years to come. More than just a campaign-finance loophole that must be
closed, this is a national disgrace.

Throughout the convention week, one of the 25 remaining typeset copies of
the Declaration of Independence was on display at St. Paul City Hall-not
far from where crowds were pepper-sprayed, clubbed, tear-gassed and
attacked by police with concussion grenades. As the clouds clear, it is
instructive to remember the words of one of the Declaration's signers,
Benjamin Franklin:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

 2008 Amy Goodman
Amy Goodman is the host of "Democracy Now!," a daily international
TV/radio news hour airing on more than 700 stations in North America.