Progressive Calendar 09.11.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:49:10 -0700 (PDT)
                          POLICE RAIDS XII

1 McKinney (opednews poll)
2 ACLU
3 ACLU
4 ACLU
5 Angell (PC)
6 Schmelzer (MN Independent)
7 Moriarty (petition)
8 Engelsen (Bedlam events)
9 Dooley
10 Hilber
11 Parry (Consortiumnews)

12 ==events==

13 Fitrakis/Wasserman - 10 ways the McCain/Palin GOP steals the Ohio Vote

--1--

September 8, 2008
OpEdNews Poll"Media-News:
Should Outraged Americans Boycott Minneapolis and St Paul until They
Drop Charges
By Mac McKinney
http://www.opednews.com

Should Outraged Americans Boycott Minneapolis and St Paul until They
Drop Charges

This is a critical moment in American history. If the officials who
mounted an illegal, brutal assault on and repression of journalists, legal
observers and innocent civilians during the Republican National Convention
get away with this, then a terrible paradigm will have created to continue
this Fascistic-style repression throughout the country in the future, the
"Iraqization of the American Media", where unless you are embedded and
under their thumb, you are an enemy of the State. Elected officials in
Minneapolis and St Paul, as well as their police departments and sheriff's
departments, must be held accountable.

Consequently, I propose that Americans boycott the Twin Cities until they
clean up their act, denounce what happened to the innocent, and punish
those responsible for these outrages. The RNC, which purportedly has taken
out an insurance policy to reimburse the Twin Cities police for
$10,000,000 worth of lawsuits against them, should also be investigated
for collusion and conspiracy to abuse and strip away the Constitutional
Rights of the American people during the RNC.

Yes  96% from 65 votes
No    4% from 3 votes

--2--

ACLU To Represent Reporter And Others Arrested At RNC
For Immediate Release
September 3, 2008

Group Continues To Defend Constitutional Rights, While Denouncing
Protesters Who Employed Criminal Acts

SAINT PAUL  - The American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota has
coordinated legal counsel for Amy Goodman, host of the popular television
and radio program DemocracyNow!, and two of that show's producers who were
detained during mass arrests surrounding the Republican National
Convention (RNC). Goodman was released on misdemeanor charges three hours
after her arrest, while the producers, Sharif Abdel Kouddous and Nicole
Salazar, were held longer and charged with felony intent to riot. Those
charges were suspended pending investigation. The ACLU of MN is calling
for all charges against Goodman, Kouddous and Salazar to be dropped.

"Arresting journalists to keep them from doing their jobs is a blatant
violation of their constitutional rights and the right of the American
public to be kept informed," said Chuck Samuelson, Executive Director of
the ACLU of Minnesota. "The arrest of several journalists during the
Republican National Convention is a disturbing practice and a violation of
their First Amendment right to gather the news".

The ACLU is also taking on clients from the group of nearly 300 who were
arrested on the first day of the RNC.

John Lundquist, an ACLU volunteer attorney with Fredrikson and Byron P.A.,
is counsel for Goodman, Kouddous and Salazar.

The national ACLU is calling for an investigation into the raids and mass
arrests that have occurred during the RNC.

--3--

Photojournalists from Kentucky released from jail without charges after an
unjustified 36 hour detainment
For Immediate Release

Saint Paul, Minn- Two photo journalism students were released September
3rd after being held without charge for 36 hours following their arrest
during the Republican National Convention. The advisor was also arrested,
but released earlier without charges.

Two students, Britney McIntosh and Edward Matthews, and their advisor,
James Winn, of the University of Kentucky newspaper the Kentucky Kernel
were arrested on Labor Day while photographing demonstrations and law
enforcement response outside the RNC. The Kernel has a circulation of
30,000, one of the largest rates of student newspapers in the country, and
the students and their advisor had journalist credentials and registration
when they were arrested.

Despite their peaceful, lawful behavior the photo journalists were swept
up and arrested with no concern by the police officers as to whether they
committed any crimes.

"The arrest of a journalist while documenting political activity violates
our country's freedom of the press," stated Charles Samuelson, Executive
Director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota. "There are no
justifications to arrest any journalists peaceably assembled at
demonstrations."

The three Kentucky Kernel journalists are only a few of the many
journalists taken into prolonged custody during the sweeping arrests by
law enforcement this week. The ACLU of Minnesota has identified other
journalists, bloggers and photographers from Rhode Island, California,
Florida, Illinois and other parts of the country who have also been
arrested. The photojournalist from Illinois was arrested with the Kernel
photo journalists; he however was not released, and is being charged with
a Gross Misdemeanor Riot.

"The freedom of all journalists, whether they report as freelancers or
work for the NY Times should be respected and protected," stated
Samuelson.

McIntosh, Matthews and Winn were released just prior to the end of the 36
hour hold period allowed by law. Though their physical freedom has been
restored, McIntosh and Matthews have so far been denied the opportunity to
continue reporting as their camera equipment has not been returned to
them.

Even though they have been released, they were informed they could still
be charged with a crime at a later time. The ACLU-MN is reviewing their
legal options regarding their arrests.

The students and their advisor were represented by Matthew Lute of the
Matthew Lute Law Office.

--4--

Federal Judge denies release of 1st Amendment Protected Materials
For Immediate Release
September 4, 2008

Federal Judge John Tunheim denied the ACLU-MN request to release the
literature and educational materials that were illegally seized by police
during mass raids on private homes and a gather place the weekend before
the RNC. The raids were part of what appears to be a massive government
crackdown on free speech during the Republican National Convention.

"Pamphlets and buttons are constitutionally-protected forms of free speech
and the police have no business going around confiscating them from
innocent people," said Chuck Samuelson, Executive Director of the ACLU of
Minnesota. "It is greatly disturbing if and when the materials are
released, it will be too late for their owners to distribute them at the
convention."

The ACLU filed the lawsuit on behalf of six individuals who own the
confiscated material, which includes First Amendment-protected literature,
buttons, pamphlets, leaflets and books. None of those individuals have
been arrested or charged with any crime. The complaint charges that the
materials were seized in an effort to "chill First Amendment rights to
distribute literature, to disseminate ideas, to peaceably assemble, and to
redress grievances - all protected under the First and Fourteenth
Amendments" of the Constitution.

"Seizing boxes and boxes of literature is another example of the
wide-reaching government assault on free speech throughout the
convention," said Samuelson. "This kind of law enforcement abuse of power
has no place in a democracy."

The complaint was filed against the cities of St. Paul and Minneapolis,
Minnesota's Ramsey County, Ramsey County Sheriff Robert Fletcher, three
deputies of the Ramsey County Sheriff's Department, and unnamed St. Paul
and Minneapolis police officers.

Attorneys on the case are Terri Nelson, legal counsel with the ACLU of MN;
ACLU volunteer lawyers Al Goins and Rick Petry; and Geneva Finn of the
National Lawyers Guild.

--5--