Progressive Calendar 09.10.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 03:54:08 -0700 (PDT)

19 coming events

20 ed  bumper sticker

--1--

Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 02:05:16 -0500
From: Jan Carr <jan [at] carrcreatives.com>
To: Chuckrepke [at] AOL.COM, stpaul-issues [at] forums.e-democracy.org
Subject: Re: [SPIF] after assessment

To Chuck Repke -

I think your point is well taken, but in making it, you raise a larger
issue.

As the events of the week unfolded, it seemed clear that police strategy
and tactics were guided by an unseen hand - presumably the Feds. I surmise
they came in and during the training process, dictated, among other
things, that arrests would be minimized (for non-violent expressions of
civil disobedience, such as the woman in this case) and instead, would
rely on harassment, intimidation, and physical retribution.

This is nothing new. To take but one of many examples from the past, the
first Selma to Montgomery march (1965) witnessed the same kind of tactics.

The difference is that then, this kind of police brutality was met with
revulsion and castigation across the nation from both citizens and
political leaders.  Now, it is met with profound apathy from these same
groups.

I think Mayor Coleman has reacted in a cold and calculated manner in
crafting his public response to these police excesses. Despite his
rhetoric assuring us that the police would act responsibly and protect
basic civil rights and liberties, I assume he took a defensive and
apologetic stance, thinking most voters will support his position (he is
up for reelection next year, right?). And he may be right.

But for those of us with long memories, to hear his fear mongering about
violence and "outside agitators," and his blanket endorsement of all
police actions (in one interview he used the word "heroic"), - well, he
sounded like an upscale, reincarnated version of Jim Clark and Bull
Connor.

For me this is all the more disheartening, since I think Mayor Coleman is
a good and decent person, and in my view, the best mayor the city has had
since George Latimer. As I watch him from afar, his knowledge of the city
seems encyclopedic, his leadership sound, and his initiatives imaginative.
How then could this same person defend the police state tactics we saw
last week?

But that's water under the proverbial bridge. Here's the larger issue.

This city will never have another political convention, nor probably any
other gathering that is likely to be similarly controversial. So it
doesn't make a lot of sense to spend time examining what we could do
better the next time around.

Thus, the larger issue is a moral one. There seems to be abundant evidence
(mostly from independent journalists) that police excesses did indeed
occur. Even Amnesty International is calling for an inquiry.

Therefore, as a city, we will have to decide whether to let these issues
fade into history (which I don't think will happen), or to launch a
thorough and objective study of police actions, focused on these
questions:

1) Who ordered the preemptive raids across the metro area (which seemed to
be mostly focused on independent journalists). Were they justified?  Were
the search warrants driven by untrue or inflated claims by the informers
who had been planted?

2) What justification was there for not requiring police to wear
identification patches (jurisdiction, and an ID number, if not a name of
the officer)?  Should this ever be permitted in future actions of the STP
police department?

3) An assessment of police actions against:

A. peaceful protesters who were merely exercising their constitutional
rights to free speech.

B. people who engaged in nonviolent civil disobedience (refusal to "clear
this area"). It appears many were "punished" (clubbed, sprayed) rather
than merely arrested and hauled away.

4) Were the excesses witnessed the result of an individual police
officer's loss of control, or were such actions the result of a command
decision, as you have suggested?

5) Once arrested, were people treated properly and humanely, with the same
rights granted any "ordinary" prisoner?

6)  It would also be relevant, I think, that a study be undertaken to
determine if the events of the past week affected the bond between our
community and the police.

There's more, but you get the idea.

If they have the power to do so, I would recommend that the City Council
form a task force to review these matters, just as was done after the
Chicago Democratic Convention of 1968 (Walker Commission, undertaken by
the National Commission on the Causes and Prevention of Violence).  They
would have plenty of evidence to consider - eyewitness accounts, many
independent videos, and the tapes from those 200 video cameras that were
installed for the convention (unless they are mysteriously wiped clean).

For the record, I don't believe this is a Republicans vs. Democrats issue.
Over a long period of time, this country has slowly morphed into a
political culture that tolerates police state tactics. The question is
whether we as citizens of this society will continue to stand quietly by
as our civil liberties erode away.

We have eight elected officials that run our city. One of them (the Mayor)
has already made his position known. The question remains whether our
other 7 elected officials (the City Council) will have the courage to pick
up the issue and make their views known about what will and will not be
tolerated in this city when it come to police actions.

Even though some people continue to misconstrue Dave Thune's words as
support for violent protesters, his is the one official voice that was
raised to question the events of last week. And every person in the city
who believes in the Constitution should be grateful to him;  it is people
like Mr. Thune who can keep a society from falling into the abyss.

Jan Carr 1000 Portland Avenue St. Paul, MN 55104

--2--