Progressive Calendar 09.08.08
From: David Shove (shove001tc.umn.edu)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 03:17:56 -0700 (PDT)
o             P R O G R E S S I V E   C A L E N D A R   09.08.08
                            POLICE RAIDS IX

1 Bolin
2 Pratt (MN Independent)
3 Dickinson
4 Kelly
5 Cavlan
6 Kelly
7 RNC Welcome
8 Bolin
9 Owings
10 Mitchell
11 Byrne
12 Fratto
13 Schoenberg
14 Rybisky
15 Gibbs
16 Wassenar
17 Parker
18 Rubenstein
19 Brown
20 Broderick (Daily Planet)

21 ed    Chris "RNC" Coleman  (poem)

--1--

Date: Sun,  7 Sep 2008 13:18:05 +1200 (NZST)
From: Nancy Bolin <nbolin [at] COMCAST.NET>
To: St. Paul Issues Forum <stpaul-issues [at] forums.e-democracy.org>

Hey me and my wee cart here again. . . I raised a question before the
circus began and will raise it again.  Will there be an accounting of
money spent by the city of Saint Paul to host this event and will it be
made available to us?  If so, where do I get a copy?  If the city did
actually make some money, will there be an accounting of that money as
well. The spin in the printed and television media paint a completly
different picture than the one I saw, felt and heard.

--2--

Journalists on RNC policing: "Dark days for press freedom in the U.S."
By Anna Pratt, Minnesota Independent
September 06, 2008

As crews picked up after the RNC in downtown St. Paul Friday morning, a
handful of local and national journalists went to City Hall and delivered
50,000 signatures pressuring St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman and the city and
county attorneys to immediately release journalists who were recently
arrested in connection to convention protests and to drop all charges
against them.

Nancy Doyle Brown, a media reform organizer from the Twin Cities Media
Alliance, said she and others want to send a message that "journalism is
not a crime". Journalists have "been detained and arrested, subjected to
raids, pepper-sprayed and more simply for showing up to work. These have
been dark days for press freedom in the U.S.," she said.

According to a statement from the national media group Free Press, which
is part of the counter-effort, volunteer legal counsel and news
editors/directors tried to negotiate with police commanders for the
release of reporters on the scene at the demonstration Thursday evening,
"but [Ramsey County Sheriff Bob] Fletcher and [St. Paul Police Chief John]
Harrington apparently intervened, they said, and ordered that the
journalists be issued criminal citations. Once ticketed, the journalists
were released". Others have been tear-gassed or held at gunpoint.

Media professionals had pursued protesters as they marched from the
Capitol lawn into the downtown area. "Law enforcement officers flanked the
marchers and corralled them on bridges passing over Interstate 94, and
they were detained on the bridges while police processed them," it
continues.

"We're demanding that all charges against journalists covering the RNC be
immediately and unconditionally dropped. We respect the important role
officers play in maintaining a safe place for people to exercise their
freedom - tragically there are stories that the world needed to hear this
week that will never be told. They won't be told because the reporters
working on them were sitting in the back of squad cars, stripped of their
cameras, or were face down on the pavement with their hands tied behind
their back," said Brown.

Additionally, in a preemptive attack on journalists, homes where they were
staying were raided over the past couple weeks. Twin Cities Daily Planet
editor Mary Turck, vouched for that, while adding that one of her writers
was arrested Thursday night. "Police are now holding personal belongings -
and saying they can't get them back till Monday. That is one example of
the use of police power as sheer harassment for journalists," said Turck.

One person who said he's been subjected to it firsthand is Sharif Abdel
Koubdous, a producer for the national radio/TV show Democracy Now, who was
arrested twice this week and is now facing pending felony charges and for
being a part of an "unlawful assembly". "These charges are unacceptable.
We are clearly marked as press. We were simply doing our job and nothing
more. We shouldn't be penalized for it," he said.

Mike Buscko, with the Minnesota Newspaper Guild, which represents more
than 450 local journalists, including some at the Pioneer Press, echoed
their sentiments, saying, "We're appalled by the treatment of journalists.
It's had a chilling effect on the coverage of the convention outside and
in the street. The police were heavy-handed, and we're concerned on a
local and national basis".

Inside City Hall, Deputy Mayor Ann Mulholland responded, "I know you take
these seriously and as do we. We value your First Amendment rights and we
value the rights of the media". Overall, "We feel we conducted a great
convention". The Mayor "appreciates your rights, interests and abilities
to cover stories".

And in his office, City Attorney John Choi told reporters, "I'm a believer
in justice". Among the numerous arrests, most received citations and
weren't charged with a crime, he said, adding, "We'll look at all the
facts. We only proceed on cases where there's probable cause to prosecute.
This isn't about politics or making decisions on political whims. I assure
you we'll do the right thing. Justice requires that we review these cases
carefully and seriously".

Article Tags: Media, RNC 2008

--3--

Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 10:23:52 -0500
From: Elizabeth Dickinson <eadickinson [at] mindspring.com>

I attended the Peace Island conference at Concordia University this past
week (well-done, by the way) and was a facilitator for one of the breakout
sessions.  One of the presenters, Starhawk, said that her permaculture bus
had been taken by the police and was being held at the precinct 1 police
station in Minneapolis, and she urged us to call for its release.
According to what she said, it has been touring peacefully for the past
seven months demonstrating soil ecology methods.

I did call this morning.  The police officer who answered said it was
unlikely to be released any time soon since it was now evidence in a
federal case.  He said it was carrying rebar and buckets of 'pee and poop'
and all was designed to damage property or be thrown at people.  I queried
how he could be sure there was criminal intent. "Why else would you be
carrying such things?" he asked.

I said I hoped the truth would be revealed in a court of law.

--4--